Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, I think Trudeau should be issuing a statement of support for the truckers this weekend.

His tests were negative and he has no symptoms, so does not have to isolate. I can understand a televised statement due to security but IF what the truckers want is acknowledgement, then do it.

Trudeaus earlier comments about the convoy were rude and dismissive, totally out of line.

Yes, the mandates will stand but if the truckers ‘stand down’ Canadians will be in a dreadful mess.

Trudeau needs to remember that he is the 33% Prime Minister and act accordingly.

Been kind of following along because I'm watching the Convoy.

Do any of you Canadians know how much of your food supply is trucked across the border?

Other goods?

I'm looking for a number that can be backed up with a link.

Just some personal comments from the peanut gallery, opinions, understandings, interpretations, etc.
  • This convoy is about cross-border truck-drivers - it is a whole 'nother ballgame from cross-border drivers to within-Canada-only drivers, based on experience, and I think either class of drivers would not be happy or satisfied or even able to sustain their business if they suddenly opted to become the other class of drivers. jmo.
  • I heard one of the top-dogs in this trucking movement talking to FoxNews (Carlson) yest - I'm not sure if I misunderstood possibly, but,.. he was complaining that when he got to the border (he is vaxxed, as this is not about being vaxxed, it's about mandates), he offered to show his QR code on his phone to the border-security, and they said, oh you don't need to, we already have that info... and the driver was all freaky, supposedly apparently thinking the two governments are in cahoots to spy on its citizens, where they go, what they do.. that sort of thing - tracking their cellphones(???????), but.. from experience in past years, I know that cross-border drivers submit paperwork electronically to the border ahead of their trip, and they already know everything about you before you get there.. who you are, your DOB, what you're carrying onboard, what exactly you're driving, where you're going, etc etc etc.. so to add to that whether you're vaxxed or not, who really gives a ****? This really doesn't need to be made into a conspiracy theory. I think you have to show your proof of vax in most countries one travels to, so why make it an issue if vax status might be connected with one's passport - wasn't that kinda the whole purpose of implementing a 'code', to make it easy for everyone to show and receive a valid vax status? Yes, the govt is tracking vax status! See all the stats online from allllll of the various countries throughout the world?
  • I'm not sure I understand exactly what truckers have to do in regard to Covid when crossing the border - I read something about, have to show proof of vax, OR a neg rapid-test done within x many hours before crossing the border?? If that is correct, - then how exactly would one prove that the rapid-test was from THAT driver? There is no ID on these little rapid-tests.. nothing that says you can't grab someone's rapid-test and produce it as your own.????? And apparently it's too difficult to get a test done at an official testing site nowadays.. so... ?????
  • The drivers - carrying their big loads on their big trucks - they are kind of isolated.. they drive by themselves mostly, unless they're a team.. they pick up at their pickup place, someone else loads their truck, while they sit in the cab.. they get their paperwork signed/sign their paperwork, they drive to wherever.. miles and miles away usually.. and then when they reach their drop-off location, they get unloaded by the workers at the place they're delivering to, get their paperwork signed/sign their paperwork.. so.. how are these drivers any more of a risk of passing Covid to others, than just visiting your local Shoppers Drug Mart or Walmart where even sick unvaxxed people can be walking around without you necessarily knowing about it?
  • I heard someone talking on the news last night saying... if someone doesn't want to inject something into their bodies in Canada, then they shouldn't be forced to by government. I can't say I disagree with that. To put it in that context, it sounds pretty scary, and I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I think there should be ramifications to making that decision NOT to vaccinate however, such as perhaps contributing a portion of any hospital care they may require in the event they contract Covid, since they are in fact deemed to be the people keeping this thing going and spreading, etc., to the people who ARE vaxxed, and there IS in fact a vax they could take that would minimize the symptoms if they contracted Covid, and if they're willing to take the risk, then let them cover at least a portion of the cost of the results, if any. imo of course.

BBM. I say that is utter nonsense. In fact, footage has been of people standing on bridges waving flags, others at rest stops handing out free hot chocolate, waving at the side of the road in -26 celsius temperatures, youtubing and proud to be Canadian across the country. Children are speaking out in support of the truckers.

Everyone across the country has been supportive of the truckers. In fact, other countries have been watching and cheering on Canadians who speak up about vaccine mandates.

So far, this is a positive movement. Hopefully, truckers will recognize that they have support across the country, but changing law in Canada does not change the fact that they have to be vaccinated to enter the USA. Trudeau cannot solve the trucker's problem. They cannot enter the USA without a vaccine, so perhaps they should take their fight to the USA Trucker Association.

After Trudeau's child has recovered from covid, he can thank the truckers for their support, remind them that they need a vaccine to enter the USA, and wish them luck with their careers.

I think if Trudeau made some public health changes in Canada regarding the border, then the U.S. would likely follow suit. Some compromise position so that everyone saves face. It doesn't make sense to enact stricter controls now that we are moving toward an endemic and so many countries and regions are ending or adjusting lockdowns and many of their public health mandates. Also, Trudeau could make a decison unilaterally, and that would put pressue on the Biden administration to follow suit. I think Canadians would like that, make the U.S. out to be the bad guy, which would get Trudeau even more support.

Anyway, I think regardless of what the outcomes of the protest are, the Canadian truckers have already won. They've won the hearts and minds of their fellow Canadians and citizens around the world, and the images of the convoy and the ordinary Candians' responses will be forged in our memories for a long time. They have given a voice to ordinary Canadians and the world has been listening.

Been kind of following along because I'm watching the Convoy.

Do any of you Canadians know how much of your food supply is trucked across the border?

Other goods?

I'm looking for a number that can be backed up with a link.
Not exactly what you seek regarding goods specifically moved by truck, but lots of precise export info at link.
Canada Exports to United States - 2022 Data 2023 Forecast 1989-2020 Historical (tradingeconomics.com)
''Canada Exports to United States was US$284.56 Billion during 2020, according to the United Nations COMTRADE database on international trade. Canada Exports to United States - data, historical chart and statistics - was last updated on January of 2022.''

Jan 18 2022
Fruit and Veggie Outages in Canada Get Worse With Trucker Shortages (yahoo.com)
''Only about half of U.S. truckers are vaccinated, according to estimates from the American Trucking Association. This weekend, the U.S. will bring in its own rules requiring foreign travelers, including truckers, to be vaccinated. Industry groups estimate this will still take as many as 16,000 drivers off the road at a time when demand for hauling is high.''
Hungry
The U.S. exports $21B in food to Canada. Here are the biggest categories.

Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture

About $45 billion worth of goods crosses the border every month, and Canada is the top export market for 32 U.S. states, according to the Department of Commerce. Most trade between Canada and the U.S. travels by truck.''

Canada's Top Trading Partners 2020 (worldstopexports.com)
''Below is a list showcasing 15 of Canada’s top trading partners, countries that imported the most Canadian shipments by dollar value during 2020. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total Canadian exports.
  1. United States: US$287.1 billion (73.5% of total Canadian exports)
  2. The value of Canada’s shipments to its largest customer, the United States, fell by -14.8%'' from 2019 to 2020.''

Not exactly what you seek regarding goods specifically moved by truck, but lots of precise export info at link.
Canada Exports to United States - 2022 Data 2023 Forecast 1989-2020 Historical (tradingeconomics.com)
''Canada Exports to United States was US$284.56 Billion during 2020, according to the United Nations COMTRADE database on international trade. Canada Exports to United States - data, historical chart and statistics - was last updated on January of 2022.''

Jan 18 2022
Fruit and Veggie Outages in Canada Get Worse With Trucker Shortages (yahoo.com)
''Only about half of U.S. truckers are vaccinated, according to estimates from the American Trucking Association. This weekend, the U.S. will bring in its own rules requiring foreign travelers, including truckers, to be vaccinated. Industry groups estimate this will still take as many as 16,000 drivers off the road at a time when demand for hauling is high.''
Hungry
The U.S. exports $21B in food to Canada. Here are the biggest categories.

Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture

About $45 billion worth of goods crosses the border every month, and Canada is the top export market for 32 U.S. states, according to the Department of Commerce. Most trade between Canada and the U.S. travels by truck.''

Canada's Top Trading Partners 2020 (worldstopexports.com)
''Below is a list showcasing 15 of Canada’s top trading partners, countries that imported the most Canadian shipments by dollar value during 2020. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total Canadian exports.
  1. United States: US$287.1 billion (73.5% of total Canadian exports)
  2. The value of Canada’s shipments to its largest customer, the United States, fell by -14.8%'' from 2019 to 2020.''

From the yahoo link:

Meanwhile, as much as 90% of Canada’s fruits and vegetables comes from the U.S. during winter, and grocery stores are already having trouble getting some shipments, according to the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers.

I suppose that explains why the protest is to change a mandate that will in fact make no difference to truckers whose work takes them across the border. Even if Canada dropped the mandate, the USA mandate still requires vaccines. It's completely illogical.

Despite dire predictions of delays, it was almost business as usual for truck traffic from the US to Canada at the weekend, the first two days of new regulations that ban unvaccinated US drivers from crossing the border.

Previously they had been exempt from the vaccine mandate, like other essential workers.

The website of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) shows no significant congestion or wait times at land crossings during the weekend. On Sunday afternoon it showed delays of 15 minutes or less at four locations and only one spot where wait time exceeded that.

Trucks keep rolling across the border, despite new Canada vaccine mandate - The Loadstar

Do you have a link? 29% isn't insignificant, that's close to one-third of the country.
Well, it means 71% of the country doesn't support the convoy protest, so no, this vocal group does not speak for most of us. When we see some Nazi and Confederate flags on Parliament Hill, we do wonder who's behind it. I think a lot of it is a display of hatred for Justin Trudeau actually.

It sounds like most of the protesters are behaving themselves. Of course, truckers don't want to get charged with anything because they need clean criminal records to cross the border into the US. That and proof of vaccination. Heh!

From the link:

Aside from honking and yelling, the protests on Friday and Saturday were peaceful, with Ottawa police reporting no instances of violence or injuries. Organizers have repeatedly urged protesters to be peaceful and avoid aggressive behaviour, threats and trespassing.

However, the loud and disruptive protests on Saturday featured several incidents roundly condemned as disrespectful, including protesters jumping on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and adorning a statue of Terry Fox with anti-vaccine material and an upside down Canadian flag.

It's time for the protesters to wrap it up and go home. People who live in Ottawa need to return to their normal routines.

It might be a minority that are urinating on military statues and defacing other significant military and Canadian symbols, but if that's the tone of the any of the protesters, they need to leave.

MPs are due on the Hill tomorrow.

It shall be interesting to see how it plays out.

There are perhaps 10,000 people protesting, and 34 million people in the country. Some of the protesters have said that they will not leave until the government is toppled, and/or vaccine mandates are changed according to their wishes.

I think politicians need to be protected from the protesters. The government can debate the issue like they debate other issues, but they cannot give the protesters what they want. If they do, every small group who claims to represent Canadians will do the same thing - threaten the government until their demands are met. That's not how it works in Canada.

My understanding from following the protest is that the truckers have been asked to end the protest and go home with everyone moving by 3 AM. The protest is interfering with the rights of the people of Ottawa - they have to work tomorrow after a sleepless weekend with honking horns.

The protest will be debated by the government and a decision will be announced. That's a given. The world is watching with sympathy trucker convoys happening in various parts of the world.

The best case scenario is that no protesters develop anything worse than the common cold. This protest is for the right to be unvaccinated and maskless. If no one gets sick, that means they are right. The pandemic has ended. If 1/3 gets sick with more than the common cold, that means they are wrong and the issue should be revisited in a month.

Isn’t Trudeau the 33% Prime Minister?

Small group

Canada has a minority government. There are 3 relevant political parties. Two parties have nearly 50%, but not enough to control, so the third party tips the vote.

Well, it means 71% of the country doesn't support the convoy protest, so no, this vocal group does not speak for most of us. When we see some Nazi and Confederate flags on Parliament Hill, we do wonder who's behind it. I think a lot of it is a display of hatred for Justin Trudeau actually.

How easy is it to tarnish any type of demonstration or protest these days….just takes one person to show up waving a Confederate or Nazi flag and the entire group becomes negatively associated even if it has no official affiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member