Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are perhaps 10,000 people protesting, and 34 million people in the country. Some of the protesters have said that they will not leave until the government is toppled, and/or vaccine mandates are changed according to their wishes.

I think politicians need to be protected from the protesters. The government can debate the issue like they debate other issues, but they cannot give the protesters what they want. If they do, every small group who claims to represent Canadians will do the same thing - threaten the government until their demands are met. That's not how it works in Canada.

This is reminiscent of the railway blockades in 2020. At the time I wondered if that was just the beginning.

2020 Canadian pipeline and railway protests - Wikipedia

How easy is it to tarnish any type of demonstration or protest these days….just takes one person to show up waving a Confederate or Nazi flag and the entire group becomes negatively associated even if it has no official affiliation.

This is how the media and government often discredit narratives they don't agree with, it is disingenuous, but most in the public don't delve into the news more , and often believe it.

I'm curious how much money the truckers expect to each receive from the $6-8 million in donations for each day they remain in Ottawa. I'd like to see more information about the money, and how it distributed to anti-vaxxers at this protest.

Majority of Canadians want COVID restrictions lifted: Poll | Toronto Sun

Interesting poll and breakdown of Canadians who want covid restrictions lifted and those who don't. Bringing this over here from the main Covid thread.

The pandemic has been going on for 2 years. Restrictions are determined by provinces, so it's uncommon that someone in BC has the same restrictions as someone in Quebec. Public opinion regarding lifting restrictions fluctuates from province to province and from month to month. Without seeing the big picture, a couple of comparisons claiming to speak for the entire country seems meaningless.

I'm curious how much money the truckers expect to each receive from the $6-8 million in donations for each day they remain in Ottawa. I'd like to see more information about the money, and how it distributed to anti-vaxxers at this protest.

To distribute the funds they have reaised for the anti-mandate truckers participating in the convoys, perhaps the truckers' association or other groups have developed standard per diem rates for meals, overnight stays while on the road, fuel costs related to mileage, etc. That would be a fair way to determine it, with opportunities to list misc costs that are specified, if needed. I'm guessing the truckers' per diem costs will be way lower than the per diem costs that are provided to members of parliament and many federal government workers. Perhaps they will use those formulae while in the capital!

To distribute the funds they have reaised for the anti-mandate truckers participating in the convoys, perhaps the truckers' association or other groups have developed standard per diem rates for meals, overnight stays while on the road, fuel costs related to mileage, etc. That would be a fair way to determine it, with opportunities to list misc costs that are specified, if needed. I'm guessing the truckers' per diem costs will be way lower than the per diem costs that are provided to members of parliament and many federal government workers. Perhaps they will use those formulae while in the capital!

The Canadian Truckers Alliance has nothing to do with the money. I'm wondering whether the truckers are receiving money from the fundraiser to remain in Ottawa. That is, the longer they remain at the protest, the more money they get from the fund.

The relative of the NDP leader has asked for his $13,000 donation to be returned.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8542184/singh-covid-trucker-convoy-vaccine-mandate-/

Ottawa wants the money to cover costs of protecting the city from protesters.

"An Ottawa city councillor wants to go after the more than $9 million raised in a truckers’ campaign to help cover the costs of policing the Freedom Convoy that converged on Ottawa.

“This morning I have asked the city manager and city solicitor to immediately launch court proceedings targeting the millions of dollars in funds frozen by so Ottawa taxpayers are not left holding the bag for these protests,” tweeted Coun. Mathieu Fleury on Monday morning.

Costs of policing the event alone have reportedly hit $800,000 a day."​

https://westernstandardonline.com/2022/01/ottawa-councillor-wants-to-seize-truckers--to-cover-costs/

It is absolutely bizarre that the truckers, and everyone else who is protesting, think that removing the Canadian vaccine mandate for truckers will result in change. It will make no difference if Canada removes the mandate. Nothing will change. The truckers will still be required to vaccinate or quarantine.

Is it possible that they don't know this? Do they really think that Trudeau can change foreign law? Something is wrong with this picture - and it might just be that they get their information from questionable sources.

"The demonstration is tied to an ongoing, nationwide protest over federal rules for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated truckers entering Canada from the U.S. The rules took effect last month.

It mandates that truckers who are not fully vaccinated must get a PCR test and quarantine. The United States implemented a similar mandate on Jan. 22 requiring that all U.S.-bound travellers — including truckers — show proof they've had the required shots."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/coutts-border-blockade-protest-alberta-1.6334990

The truckers anti-vax group blocking the border is being approached by RCMP.

"RCMP have approached a blockade of vehicles that has jammed traffic for days at a Canada-U.S. border crossing in Alberta after warning that those participating in the protest may be subject to arrest Tuesday afternoon.

Since Saturday, motorists travelling to and from the United States have been caught in a large blockade of vehicles that choked off Highway 4 near the border crossing at Coutts, Alta.

The demonstration is tied to an ongoing, nationwide protest over federal rules for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated truckers entering Canada from the U.S. The rules took effect last month.

Those participating in a blockade can also expect enforcement of any contraventions of the Criminal Code of Canada, the Traffic Safety Act and Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulations at this location and area roadways."

The RCMP said the blockade has impeded the ability for emergency agencies to provide full services to Coutts residents, and that it has also negatively impacted the flow of goods and services, and prevents the public's freedom of movement."

upload_2022-2-1_14-31-52.png
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/coutts-border-blockade-protest-alberta-1.6334990

Last edited:
RCMP need the truckers to stop blocking access for emergency vehicles, the truckers are not backing down.

All grocery stores are pretty well-stocked across Canada from what I've heard.

Got a grocery order from a Toronto area Metro and they have “shortages throughout the store” due to COVID.

Direct quote from lady in charge of customer service dept.

They cannot get their own brand of Corn Flakes and have almost no cereal for instance.

There are definite shortages due to suppliers having people out sick, trucking etc. All the way down the line.

Got a grocery order from a Toronto area Metro and they have “shortages throughout the store” due to COVID.

They cannot get their own brand of Corn Flakes and have almost no cereal for instance.

There are definite shortages due to suppliers having people out sick, trucking etc. All the way down the line.

I have read that the Kellogg product shortage across North America is being filled in the USA first. That shortage is related to a strike, not covid, truckers, or anything else.

"Lores Tomé, a spokesperson for Kellogg Canada Inc., said higher at-home consumption coupled with supply chain challenges have impacted the availability of some products in Canada, such as Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal.

These “intermittent shortages” reflect the challenging operating environment all manufacturers are experiencing, she said in an e-mailed statement.

About 1,400 union workers at Kellogg’s plants in the United States were on strike for several weeks last year. An agreement was reached Dec. 21."
Food manufacturers cut capacity amid labour shortages and supply chain disruptions - SaskToday.ca

I've been out to I guess 3 diff grocery stores in the past couple of days, interestingly, looking for Corn Flakes (I use them for breading chicken parm).. none of the stores had them.. oh, yes, the one store did, but it was a smaller box and I want the largest box, so I figured I could get that elsewhere, but elsewhere had none at all. I was also unable to get a few other specific things on my list. I think I asked a different random grocery clerk three times in the one store, if they might have some of whatever, 'in the back', which was a big NO. A little tiny can of Campbell's Soup I noticed was $2.99, meanwhile.. they used to go on sale for $0.39 or $0.49! I started thinking I should buy a PILE of potatoes since they seem to have enough of those, and they can be made so many ways, and they're filling, etc. Just in case, of course! Heard on the news last night that milk is going up?

I've been out to I guess 3 diff grocery stores in the past couple of days, interestingly, looking for Corn Flakes (I use them for breading chicken parm).. none of the stores had them.. oh, yes, the one store did, but it was a smaller box and I want the largest box, so I figured I could get that elsewhere, but elsewhere had none at all. I was also unable to get a few other specific things on my list. I think I asked a different random grocery clerk three times in the one store, if they might have some of whatever, 'in the back', which was a big NO. A little tiny can of Campbell's Soup I noticed was $2.99, meanwhile.. they used to go on sale for $0.39 or $0.49! I started thinking I should buy a PILE of potatoes since they seem to have enough of those, and they can be made so many ways, and they're filling, etc. Just in case, of course! Heard on the news last night that milk is going up?

Dear deugirtni...I now have everything delivered (grocery, meds, crossword puzzles, etc) because the Omicron is so easily contageous, and I will do so over the next several months. It isn't worth going into different grocery stores for one or two items. I am worried about you doing that.

This variant is a scary super-spreader. I just found out that my sister took her toddler grandchild to a park to run off energy (he went on a swing--no other kids nearby) and that is the only explanation how he contacted covid while her daughter was in hospital having her baby. The toddler is very sick, and infected both grandparents who were caring for him, as well as his mom and newborn baby when they came home after a few days. Mom and newborn have had to be readmitted to hospital.

All the adults have had two vaccines and the booster, and had self-isolated two weeks before the baby was born just to be safe. We have to realize just how easy it is to catch and spread Omicron and be super careful.

^^^^ Same here, except that I occasionally do a pack and pick up.

I order everything online, either it’s delivered or I arrange a time for their employee to toss it into my car and off I go.

A friend is thrilled to be getting ‘deals’ from Cineplex now that they’re reopening.

She is concerned because I don’t have ‘the code’ but my reply is, ‘I have no desire to go to a movie, theatre or restaurant in the foreseeable future’.

We can stream movies, museums, opera etc.

I reiterated that being vaccinated and boosted is no guarantee and if we’ve lived like this for nearly two years, we can do it awhile longer.

Yes, dairy is supposed to go thru the roof shortly, I have stocked up on cat food, litter and our normal basics.

Otto, it’s not just the Kellogg’s strike, they can’t get much at all in numerous areas throughout the store.

It’s been months since I actually walked the aisles so am not sure what else they are short of……WalMart has made a lot of substitutions to my last couple of orders.

Omicron can take you down very quickly and I’m also not willing to risk it for a couple of items either.

Last edited:
I haven't had any more than normal substitutions in my grocery orders. Last order they only substituted one thing and they also didn't have the bread I wanted.

Sounds like an in-house squabble between two faculty who don't like each other's opinions. This happens all the time, whether over covid or other controversial issues. Not exactly material for news media, IMO.

someone with influence distributing false info is newsworthy IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member