CANADA Canada - Cortney Lake, 24, Mount Pearl, NL, 7 June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Updated Article June 30thth: [h=1]Cortney Lake disappearance now a homicide investigation, RNC says[/h]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/cortney-lake-missing-woman-investigation-update-1.4185433

So does that mean the ex BF since he was in court when she went missing isn't a suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does that mean the ex BF since he was in court when she went missing isn't a suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be! But I took it to mean that on the very day she disappeared and he had confessed to harming her in a previous incident. Not that it was an alibi but that he admitted being violent towards her and later or at some point during that day she was gone.

Ugh! Maybe going to court for it, kind of lit up anger towards Cortney. And he acted on it.
So sad for her boy. This is so heartbreaking.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

June 5: 33 phone calls in one day

On June 5, Smith called Cortney Lake's cellphone and home number 33 times.

She called the RNC. While officers were on their way to the family's Mount Pearl home, Lake called police again. She told them Smith had been at the house, and had just driven away in his truck.

Police later stopped the vehicle near the Lake family home. They determined the truck was registered to Smith, and he was driving.

They arrested him.

June 7: Smith 'remorseful'

After two days in jail, Smith appeared in court.

Four hours after Smith walked out of court, Cortney Lake was seen for the last time.

(respectfully snipped by me for space)

Troubled timeline:
30 minutes in court reveal 2 months of conflict between Cortney Lake and Philip Smith

Smith was convicted of offences against Lake, hours before she was last seen
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...-conflict-philip-smith-cortney-lake-1.4191657

There seems like there should be more buzz about this case than there is. Something just doesn't feel quite right. Why haven't the police explained why the missing persons case has turned into a homicide investigation?

There seems like there should be more buzz about this case than there is. Something just doesn't feel quite right. Why haven't the police explained why the missing persons case has turned into a homicide investigation?
They are diligently working behind the scenes to find her body for a conviction.. Or some rock solid evidence that can prove guilt. There's a lot of buzz locally.. rumors, speculation, finger pointing.. the usual with something like this.

Welcome vintagerose

:welcome6:

Thanks for joining us.

:justice: for Cortney!!!

I guess I am wondering more so the reasoning behind the decision to change the case from missing persons to homicide... Does this imply that they know for sure she is dead? If so, how do they know this?

I guess I am wondering more so the reasoning behind the decision to change the case from missing persons to homicide... Does this imply that they know for sure she is dead? If so, how do they know this?
I would think that they would have to have some pretty solid evidence to classify it as a homicide. It's not known by the public what was found, there hasn't even been any rumors. PS family did say the boxes they took from the house contained Christmas decorations belonging to CL. that just doesn't even make sense. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the case but they changed the investigation status after they searched PS house and seized a truck from the property.

The family doesn't appear ready to point a definitive finger at Phillip Smith just yet. It seems very strange to me that Cortney would get into that truck with Smith considering the on-going situation. She had a peace bond against him and had recently called the police when he came to her house. Is it possible someone else was driving the truck that evening? I have seen it mentioned that there is more than 1 POI. Does anyone know if Phillip Smith was known to loan his truck to anyone...a person that Cortney would know? She seemed to climb into that truck without hesitation? WHY?

The family doesn't appear ready to point a definitive finger at Phillip Smith just yet. It seems very strange to me that Cortney would get into that truck with Smith considering the on-going situation. She had a peace bond against him and had recently called the police when he came to her house. Is it possible someone else was driving the truck that evening? I have seen it mentioned that there is more than 1 POI. Does anyone know if Phillip Smith was known to loan his truck to anyone...a person that Cortney would know? She seemed to climb into that truck without hesitation? WHY?
It's been loosely thrown around that it may have been someone else or someone else with PS. But also if you notice the top portion of the video released to the public is cut off.

Also, I'm not sure how much weight the restraining orders held in her mind, as it was said she dropped two against him previously. I have a feeling the latest one was files by CLs mother as she was included in the terms.

Are you in the case discussion group on fb? That's where I am getting this info.

Interesting comments and both things I wondered about. How much of a part CL's mother played in the orders and charges against Smith? Did her mom want to keep her away from him because he was a "bad influence" and possibly was suppling drugs? Does anyone know how long the relationship between CL & PS lasted? Was it a serious relationship? It seems CL was in a relationship with RT when she disappeared....how long had Cortney and RT been involved? Based on RT's job...I can't imagine him being a druggie?

JMO but I think the fact that PS is being held but without charges related to CL makes me think PS knows something but he did not commit the actual crime. The RNC are very certain this is a homicide...so why no charges? The family is quite guarded with comments about PS? So, who close to PS would kill for him....or perhaps someone hated him enough to kill CL as revenge? More background on PS would be helpful.

It's been loosely thrown around that it may have been someone else or someone else with PS. But also if you notice the top portion of the video released to the public is cut off.

Also, I'm not sure how much weight the restraining orders held in her mind, as it was said she dropped two against him previously. I have a feeling the latest one was files by CLs mother as she was included in the terms.

Are you in the case discussion group on fb? That's where I am getting this info.
Why do you think the top portion of the video has been cut off?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back