CANADA Canada - Donna Stearne & Wendy Tedford, both 17, Toronto, 26 Apr 1973

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Linda: Just in case you haven't looked lately, I did respond to your last PM.

CS: Regarding your last post: I fail to understand - after so many years, those who likely know intimate details or facts about murder, either directly from murderer(s) or any other way - why they do not come forward and go to the police. I must confess a very low opinion of those who know (as they are now) and my guess is that, since 1973, they have led very miserable, unsuccessful and unhappy lives. Why protect someone against such a chilling crime. As the saying goes, over time relationships change, friends go their separate ways and circumstances are different. Now they are adults. To those who know and are reading this message board, or to those who may those who do know, give the Tedford and Stearne families their long overdue justice. Show courage and do not worry about yourself, but do the right thing for others who need your help.

I wonder if detectives investigating these murders and/or these looked retrospectively at a man named Harvey Lloyd Holly. On Valentine's Day 1976, the 29-year-old truck driver strangled two teenage girls to death. He met them at a disco in a Howard Johnson motel on Dixon Rd. and they invited him over to the Braecrest Ave. house of one of the girls, whose parents were away for the weekend. After his sexual advances were rejected, Holly raped one of the girls and strangled them both. Holly was arrested 11 days after the crime.

What makes him potentially interesting as a suspect in the Tedford-Stearne case is his history as a truck driver (My first instinct is the Tedford-Stearne killer was a truck driver), the mobility involved in the crime (driving the girls from one site to another, where they met their deaths), and the location of the 1976 crime, which is only 6 km southwest of the Tedford-Stearne crime scene (and also near the 401 freeway). At first glance, a connection is unpersuasive, but I would be curious to know if Holly had any ties, professional or personal, to Windsor, where the Tedford-Stearne firearm was stolen before the crime and recovered after the crime. Holly would have been 26 years old at the time of the Tedford-Stearne killings.
As for a link to the Potter-Kirk murders, there's strangulation as a modus operandi, the mobility involved (Kirk-Potter were driven about 15-20 km, more than likely on the 401), and the prospect his truck-driving occupation or hobbies might be related to the automobile paint chips found on the bodies and clothing. Holly would have been 24 years old at the time of the Potter-Kirk murders.

Hey CS... long time no communicate...

Heard anything lately? Did not Ms. Harris indicate that the Crime Files program on Wendy/Donna was supposed air last August? I never heard or read anything about it. If I am correct, Sue Sgambati is no longer with Court TV Canada. Is the series still in production? What about Roger's GTAs Most Wanted.

DX

Hi, dxman. Yes, long time, no speak.

Here's what I know: Last year around this time, around the 35th anniversary, I wrote a few emails. One to the Toronto police about re-publicizing the case (as with the Beverly Smith murder) in light of the anniversary. I didn't hear back, which didn't surprise me, having tried to contact this org. once or twice in the past with regard to other issues.
I also emailed the four main local news stations and got no response. I also emailed "GTA's Most Wanted", encouraging them to try contacting Linda through Websleuths about doing a segment. Someone wrote back and said the show would potentially be interested, but that it was the end of the season and it was going on break until the Fall. Since then, I have heard nothing further, I have not written to the show again, and I don't know if Linda was contacted. It just seems to me no one is interested, and if that's the case, why should I, someone with a recreational interest in this stuff, expend the effort? Shooting off a few emails isn't much effort, but if no one's receptive...meh, you only do it a few times before moving on to something more rewarding.
I don't remember if I wrote to Crime Files at the time. I don't think so, and since I don't get CourtTV, I don't know if a show surrounding this case aired over the summer.
I didn't know Sgambati is no longer with that program, but I did see her recently on W-Five, spearheading the case of the unidentified young-male skulls from 1967-'69. That case looks close to solving. Police have a strong suspect, James Greenidge, who is currently in jail for another murder(s). I like Sgambati's no-nonsense reporting style, and I would love to see her do a comprehensive story on the Stearne/Tedford case. There's certainly enough material.

CS. Thanks for prompt response. Gotta run now, but will respond in more detail later... with some new questions....DX

To all readers of this thread: I received the following message last year to pass along. It is from the the "crime writing lady" I referred to quite often in my posts. Apparently, she had trouble with posting it to this board. Via intsructions from a PM, I am posting it for her. My humble apologies for the long delay, and more apologies to her if I caused any distress, by my frequent references and unintentional speculations resulting therefrom. I meant no ill will. Just worked with the info I had.

"Hello all,

I am the writer of the blog that has been referred to previously in this thread.

I would very much like to clear up a few things about the blog that I wrote and which you referred to.

First of all, due to some unforeseen circumstances, namely a serious illness and death in my family, I was the one who decided to take down the blog. The blog was a journal, or diary and side project for me, and due to time contraints, I just did not have time to keep it up. It had nothing to do with the police.

Secondly, I did not reveal any information on the blog that was not already known. I can confirm this by telling you that the only informaiton I posted on the blog was information given to me by the families. Linda herself can tell you that the police have not exaclty been forthcoming with information to her and her family. If she doesnt know much, then neither do I.

The only info I did NOT want to post on that blog was private, personal information about Wendy and Donna which was interesting to me, but that I would have never posted without receiving FULL PERMISSION from the families first. That is why I did not post anything of a sensitive nature. I just didn't feel that it would be right, and therefore left it out of the blog. I apologize for even writing that I had other information, as it obviously led some to believe that I might know more than I do.

Best,"

Name witheld

OK. Now on to you, CS, sir... my response to your last post.

I think you have gone beyond the call of duty by contacting media outlets. I agree with your comments thereof. Also, if anything comes through via the media, Ms. Sgambati likely will be the best hope. She has already interacted and interviewed Linda Harris, there were plans for a future Crime Files episode, so something may hopefully still be in the works.

Now some information to ponder. No need to respond if not wanted to ...

1. As was alluded to by Linda in a previous message here, Wendy & Donna had hitchhiked in the days before their murders and had a bad experience. The man they were riding with did not let them out of the car, and they had to yell out the window before finally being let out. They were quite shaken up by the event, so, given this experience, hitchhiking on the day they were murdered seems even lower on the probability scale. I wonder if this event was reported to police - descriptors, someone they knew or were familiar with, etc.

2. Interrelated to this, both wallets were found on the girls by police. A bill or bills of purchase was found in a wallet, which obviously indicated where the girls were shopping on the evening of Fri Apr. 26. Police have not released information on this matter. Also, money was found in the wallet(s). Wendy had just been paid by her employer at Towers on Orfus Road - so it can reasonably be suggested that robbery was not a motive, and also they the girls had enough money for a taxi or bus - hence no need to hitchike, especially so since their prior frightening experience.

3. Wendy was in the process of moving, to Connie Street, just to the southwest of the crime scence. A link here perhaps? Landlord? Roommate? etc.

4. Now most interestingly: when the autosies were done, the coroner found that the girls had burgers and fries in their stomachs. But owners of the Sit'N'Eat alleged that the girls only ordered cokes. Based on the digestion of the consumed food, the coroner estimated the time of death at around midnight - but here were have some timeline conflicts. If the girls were seen within 30-60 minutes prior to the commission of the abomination (estimated at midnight, correspondent with bangs heard by persons in houses adjacent to crime scene), where in the heck did they get/eat those burgers and fries. Logically, the Sit'N'Eat would be the place, but we have the claims of persons there of only the consumption of cokes. There seems to be something rotten here, i.e. the flashpoint of confusion, by timeline and locality, is the Sit'N'Eat - persons there, owners, patrons, visitors, witnesses thereof...Big time mystery.

I think you have gone beyond the call of duty by contacting media outlets. I agree with your comments thereof. Also, if anything comes through via the media, Ms. Sgambati likely will be the best hope.
She has already interacted and interviewed Linda Harris, there were plans for a future Crime Files episode, so something may hopefully still be in the works.
Thanks for the encouraging words, dxman. Yesterday, after I wrote the previous post, I was thinking I would fire off one more email to the Star. And maybe one to GTA's Most Wanted as well. One more try at these outlets from my end. If I knew Sgambati's email, I would write her as well. She always took the time to respond when I wrote to her about Crime Files episodes, which I appreciated.
1. As was alluded to by Linda in a previous message here, Wendy & Donna had hitchhiked in the days before their murders and had a bad experience. The man they were riding with did not let them out of the car, and they had to yell out the window before finally being let out. They were quite shaken up by the event, so, given this experience, hitchhiking on the day they were murdered seems even lower on the probability scale. I wonder if this event was reported to police - descriptors, someone they knew or were familiar with, etc.
Yes, yesterday I read over the post in which Linda mentioned the girls' fear of hitchhiking. With the occurrence you describe in mind, it is probably unlikely they would have taken a ride from a stranger. But who can know for sure? Only their killer(s).
2. Interrelated to this, both wallets were found on the girls by police. A bill or bills of purchase was found in a wallet, which obviously indicated where the girls were shopping on the evening of Fri Apr. 26. Police have not released information on this matter. Also, money was found in the wallet(s). Wendy had just been paid by her employer at Towers on Orfus Road - so it can reasonably be suggested that robbery was not a motive, and also they the girls had enough money for a taxi or bus - hence no need to hitchike, especially so since their prior frightening experience.
Agreed. I have never thought robbery was a motive. The notion they wouldn't have hitchhiked doesn't rule out the random stranger theory though, since the perp could have forced them into the car at gunpoint. But it's looking more and more like someone known to them.
3. Wendy was in the process of moving, to Connie Street, just to the southwest of the crime scence. A link here perhaps? Landlord? Roommate? etc.
Doubtful. They wouldn't have had time to get to Connie St. (about 2 km from the restaurant), have an argument with someone there, or whatever other motivation a person may have had to kill them, and then be deposited at the crime scene (anyway, weren't there casings at the scene to prove they were killed there), all in the short period of time between when they were last seen and when the crime is believed to have occurred at midnight. And the car seen driving off was going east, not back in the direction of Connie St. That doesn't prove much except that a person who lived at Connie St. would be more likely to turn west in the direction of home.
4. Now most interestingly: when the autosies were done, the coroner found that the girls had burgers and fries in their stomachs. But owners of the Sit'N'Eat alleged that the girls only ordered cokes. Based on the digestion of the consumed food, the coroner estimated the time of death at around midnight - but here were have some timeline conflicts. If the girls were seen within 30-60 minutes prior to the commission of the abomination (estimated at midnight, correspondent with bangs heard by persons in houses adjacent to crime scene), where in the heck did they get/eat those burgers and fries. Logically, the Sit'N'Eat would be the place, but we have the claims of persons there of only the consumption of cokes. There seems to be something rotten here, i.e. the flashpoint of confusion, by timeline and locality, is the Sit'N'Eat - persons there, owners, patrons, visitors, witnesses thereof...Big time mystery.
Do you have any more detail concerning the coroner's report? Such as, specifically how long before their deaths was the food consumed?
It is possible they ate somewhere else along the route or at Yorkdale, though I don't think there was a food court at Yorkdale back in 1973. Otherwise, it is possible the Sit-'n'-Eat witnesses might have been mistaken about the girls having only ingested Cokes. Or, as you imply, the people who worked at Sit-'n'-Eat (who probably numbered no more than two at that time of night) had some involvement in the crime.
Whatever the case, you're right in that there seems to be some unclarity surrounding what the witnesses in the girls' last hour or two claim to have seen.

Great responses... a couple of points/responses:

1. You said : "anyway, weren't there casings at the scene to prove they were killed there". A revolver was used, which do not eject casings upon firing. See picture of weapon at http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/unsolvedcold.php . Recall loud bangs heard by nearby houses, evidencing shots (nearby) where victims were found.

2. Coroner estimated TOD at midnight and, based on digestion, also estimated that burgers/fries consumed 1 hour prior (thus 11 pm). No other info on autopsy report known by me. Food court suggestion at Yorkdale is also good proposition - not sure if it had one back in 1973, but one could imagine some sort of restaurant there. Also, in the same place at the Sit'N'Eat, there is an old diner, if I recall correctly, but unsure if it was in operation in 1973. Why go thereanyway when the Sit'N'Eat was the hang-out place for the kids.

Great responses... a couple of points/responses:

1. You said : "anyway, weren't there casings at the scene to prove they were killed there". A revolver was used, which do not eject casings upon firing. See picture of weapon at http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/unsolvedcold.php . Recall loud bangs heard by nearby houses, evidencing shots (nearby) where victims were found.
Yes, stupid me, I forgot about the gunshots heard by nearby residents. That would rule out their having been killed elsewhere, such as at the Connie St. house. That doesn't automatically absolve anyone from the house, but it makes it a stretch for us to suppose someone from there was involved.
I don't know much about guns, so I didn't know revolvers don't eject casings.
2. Coroner estimated TOD at midnight and, based on digestion, also estimated that burgers/fries consumed 1 hour prior (thus 11 pm). No other info on autopsy report known by me. Food court suggestion at Yorkdale is also good proposition - not sure if it had one back in 1973, but one could imagine some sort of restaurant there. Also, in the same place at the Sit'N'Eat, there is an old diner, if I recall correctly, but unsure if it was in operation in 1973. Why go thereanyway when the Sit'N'Eat was the hang-out place for the kids.
Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like they probably ate their last meal at the Sit-'n'-Eat. Besides, why eat dinner in one place, and half-an-hour later grab Cokes at another establishment. Doesn't make much sense. Which begs the question if and why the Sit-'n'-Eat workers lied about the girls having eaten there. Or they misremembered, confusing two other girls with the victims.
I'm quite certain Yorkdale didn't have a food court in 1973 (it didn't arrive until the mid-to-late-'80s; there was a Dominion or Loblaws store where the food court now stands), but now that I think about it, there used to be a second-floor restaurant across the corridor from The Bay (Simpson's), in the northwest corner of the mall. I don't know if it served burgers and fries. Anyway, I'm sure there were a few little strip-plaza dives along Lawrence and Keele at the time.

Little research already done for you. The cases were:

Geraldine Pickford, Sept. 1965, Aurora; ===================
G&M Sep. 21/65, p. 1
G&M Sep. 22/65, p. 4
G&M Sep. 24/65, p. 50
Star, Sep 20/65, p. 4
---also local np articles
www.police.york.on.ca (site recently updated, case not there now,
but will be uploaded soon)

Pauline Dudley, August 1973, Milton;=======================
THE STAR (only short pieces)

Aug 29/73 Wed p.A2
Aug 30/73 Thurs p.A2
Sep 27/73 Thurs p.A3
http://www.hrps.on.ca/CrimeFiles/Lists/Homicides/DispForm.aspx?ID=2

Valerie Drew, Sept. 1971, Kingston; =====================
-- have not got article's from local Kingston paper
---just short articles in...
[FONT=&quot]---GM, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sep 28, 1970[/FONT][FONT=&quot], p. 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]---GM, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sep 29, 1970[/FONT][FONT=&quot], p. 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]---Star, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sep 28, 1970[/FONT][FONT=&quot], p. 2[/FONT]
---PDF poster: http://www.police.kingston.on.ca/Drew poster.pdf

Lois McLaughlin, July 1957, Chesterville=======================
Star Jul 11/57, p. 1
Star Jul 12 1957 pp1,17
GM Jul 11/57 p11
GM Mar 5/58 p4

--OPP

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/07/11/ot-mclaughlin-070711.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/07/09/ot-cold-case-070709.html

Aha, Pauline Dudley was already on my list to do. I'll add the others to my list and eventually compose little summaries about them for the Unsolved Toronto Crimes thread. I already have five new synopses ready to be added, which I will probably do tomorrow, so these cases won't be in the first batch.

Thank you to the mods/admins for swiftly attending to a request involving this thread.

Wendy's Sister Linda, if you are still looking at this thread, I emailed America's Most Wanted the other day with regard to this case, and below is the response I got. I leave any further action to you, if you wish to do so (there are no guarantees, but AMW values direct contact from victims' families):

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for writing to America's Most Wanted. AMW only accepts requests for stories or segments through the mail. Please send your request to:

America's Most Wanted
P.O. Box Crime TV
Washington, DC 20016-9126

Please include a concise letter regarding the occurrence, a photograph of the victim and suspect, any newspaper clippings, police reports and the name and phone number of the detective investigating this case. Please allow 12-14 weeks for a response from the producers. All material sent to the producers will not be returned. If you can not provide this information to the producers, please give this to the victim's family or the detective investigating this crime.
America's Most Wanted does its best to apprehend criminals, locate missing children and solve even the toughest crimes. Our show provides the information, but it's viewers like you who do the real job. Please stay tuned for our next show on Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 9PM EST.
Thanks for your continued support and interest in America's Most Wanted.

Sincerely,
Operator 8522

I think given the placing of the bodies, since they weren't really out of sight, it was some young person who was inexperienced and didn't intend to murder the girls. Something provoked him to do so, the only strange factor is the fact that the girl's money was on them but perhaps the killer became scared and ran away before he could search their pockets.

I do think it was drug related since there was no indication of sexual assault and the girls were killed shortly after leaving the restaurant. This leaves time to do a drug deal or to get high. Also, since they were found nearby the restaurant I wouldn't be surprised if they met with somebody there or had a connection with someone who worked there. Another thing that really indicates this theory, the murder weapon was stolen. This leads me to think it's part of a street gang or a low level who stole the weapon and sold it, or who stole it to protect himself in his drug dealings and then used it and sold it afterwards on the black market. If it were a "sexual predator" I think he would have kept the weapon and I think he would have taken the girls somewhere to rape and murder them, taking great pains to ensure their bodies wouldn't be found.

The fact that the girls bodies were lying that way indicates gang activity but it also indicates the murderer was in a sence proud of the murder, perhaps as a mark of his strength. Or it was someone who worked at the restaurant and was on shift so he didn't have time to take them anywhere. Or, it was someone who didn't have a car who they met there. Which again, leads me to think he was a young gang member who wanted to prove himself or for whatever reason didn't like the girls and took it too far.

After many years of researching these cases 1973 is equaled only by 1969 as a years for ferocious senseless murders.

In an unrelated search, I happened upon a line in a January 1, 1974 article from the Globe & Mail that, if accurate, puts to bed my random-stranger theory. It says, "The unsolved Stearne-Tedford murders have been closely linked to the drug scene (my emphasis) in North York, and a team of detectives have followed hundreds of leads without success in the past eight months".

Recall what Wendy's sister indicated above: "I think it is possible that there is a drug connection as well as a ritualistic one. I know Wendy was looking for a friend she wanted to invite to my sisters birthday party. This person could also get grass. Unfortunatly I can't tell you anymore then that."

She appears to be in agreement with the drug connection. If Wendy was looking for a friend, who could get pot, then that person was likely of interest and/or questioned by police. But notice: Linda emphasizes that she can't "tell you anymore than that", hinting that she likely knows about this person in some way, but can't say anything for legal/investigative reasons. CS: Do you too get that sense?

Well, it's either she can't tell us any more than that because she was told by police to withold anything further for fear of tainting the investigation, or she can't tell us any more than that simply because that's as much as she knows (the name was never shared with her).
In any case, with the Globe article I quoted indicating the certitude of the police re: the drug connection, and the hundreds of leads they had followed, I'm all the more surprised an arrest was never made.

The 36th anniversary of the murders passed last Monday.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth
Back