CANADA Canada - Donna Stearne & Wendy Tedford, both 17, Toronto, 26 Apr 1973

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still vague, in regards to the gun, but more information than anywhere else I've come across.

"Several years later (after the murders), a revolver was found on the side of the highway in southwestern Ontario. Police eventually linked the weapon to the Tedford and Stearne murders by analyzing the bullet riflings. It had been used in a Windsor robbery."

The article has been updated within the last few hours. Includes video. DX/

Okay, so I'm trying to put together all the information available into one big piece, in chronological order, in a way that makes sense, and is very informing.

Below is what I have so far, and I will be in the process of updating it with the most recent Star article.

Please let me know if there's anything missing, or something that may have been placed incorrectly.

Thank you.

COLD CASE: #5/1973

The Double Murder of Wendy Ann Tedford and Donna Lee Stearne (1973)

2vhsqxi.jpg
2m5nh46.jpg

DETAILS OF INVESTIGATION

On the morning of Friday, April 27th, 1973, at about 8:40 a.m., the bodies of two females were discovered by 18-year-old Tony Iscaro. Tony Iscaro of Deverell Cres., was a Grade 10 student at Downsview Secondary School, and found the bodies in a Downsview field while taking a short cut on his way to school. The vacant field, described as rubble-strewn, where a cement plant once stood, was located south of Wilson Avenue, near Keele Street. Iscaro spotted the victims, Wendy face down, and Donna on her back, lying side by side, near a chain-link fence topped with barbed wire, by a row of trees that screened the backyards of homes on Winston Park Boulevard. They were both fully clothed. “I didn’t even take a good look” he said in an interview conducted at school later that same day, “I took off – I was scared stiff.” Iscaro ran to a nearby KVN Concrete Asphalt plant, where George Melo, a 34-year-old truck driver at the plant, went to look for himself and then notified police. “One had blood on her hand and the hand was in a clawing position,” Melo said. “I felt really bad because they were such young kids.”

The two females were identified as 17-year-olds Donna Lee Stearne of Gosford Boulevard., and Wendy Tedford of Falstaff Avenue. Donna's father said he wasn’t aware his daughter was dead until about 3:00 p.m. while he was at work when fellow employees told him of the discovery of the bodies of two unidentified girls. Checks at the Tedford apartment and at school revealed that Donna and Wendy were unaccounted for. “We hoped our fears were groundless, but they turned out to be true,” Jack said.

With no leads, and no motives, Deputy Chief Bernard Simmonds issued a request for the public’s assistance.

An autopsy was performed by Dr. Hans Sepp shortly after the bodies were discovered, which indicated Donna died of a single gunshot in the back of the head, and Wendy had been shot twice through the neck. Both had been killed by a .38 calibre Colt revolver. The bodies were fully clothed and had not been sexually molested.

According to Donna’s father, Jack Stearne, “Donna left the house about 7 p.m. (Thursday) with her schoolbooks to go to Wendy’s home, go shopping and stay the night at Wendy’s place.” Their townhouse was located on Highway 400 and Finch Avenue. Her father stated “she went upstairs to kiss her mother goodbye and she kissed me too, when she came down.” Donna’s mother, Joan Stearne, said her daughter “didn’t kiss us every time she went out, but she was a loving daughter and that time is something for us to remember.”

Donna arrived at Wendy’s apartment where she lived with her elder sister Shirley, and Shirley’s 4-year-old son, located on Falstaff Avenue, and the two left at approximately 7:30 p.m. for Yorkdale Shopping Centre, two miles to the east. The scene of the shooting is about midway between Wendy’s apartment and Yorkdale Shopping Centre; about a mile from both. Shirley said Donna was going to spend the night at Wendy’s, as she had done in the past.

The two were last seen a few blocks away from the murder scene drinking a couple of cokes in the Sit ‘n’ Eat restaurant, a local Keele Street hangout, about nine hours before their bodies were discovered. 18-year-old Michael Armstrong of Sunray Crescent, a Grade 12 student who went to Downsview Secondary School with Donna, called police after seeing pictures of the slain girls in The Star. He stated he saw the girls in the Sit ‘N’ Eat at about 10:35 p.m. when he went in to buy two take-out coffees. “They were sitting right there and I said hello to them,” recalled Armstrong. “I knew Wendy fairly well, but I just knew Wendy to say hi to.” Armstrong said he left after a few minutes to take the coffee to his brother Donald who was working in a nearby Becker’s Milk Store. “I stood around outside the milk store drinking my coffee and talking to friends. Then I went back toward the restaurant and looked in and both girls were gone. That was about five minutes later.” He said he could not recall seeing the girls leave or standing at the bus stop, nor could he recall seeing any strange cars on the parking lot. “I don’t think they went out hitchhiking,” he says. “If they did, they got a ride pretty fast.” He said it was the first time he had seen the two together in the restaurant in a long while. “They used to hang around here about a year ago.” He said the restaurant “used to be a hangout, but it is not as bad as it used to be. There was a lot of drug action, but they cleaned that up about a year ago.” “They were pretty quiet really,” he said. “They would never say hi to me unless I said hi to them. Donna would blush in school if I said hello to her in the halls.”

Police investigators are still pondering why they went to the Sit ‘n’ Eat on north Keele Street instead of going directly home along Lawrence Avenue.

According to Homicide Inspector James Noble, “the two were given to hitchhiking,” and he issued a public appeal for anyone who may have seen the two young girls either hitchhiking or getting into a car. “To be honest with you, Donna did do some hitchhiking,” said her father. “But I used to point out to her articles in the paper about girls who got hurt hitchhiking. So she stopped a couple of months ago – on her own; she had a couple of bad experiences and didn’t like it a bit.” It is not known for sure that the girls did hitchhike that night. Armstrong told the police that the girls often would hitch rides at the bus stop opposite of the Sit ‘N’ Eat restaurant at Keele Street and Keelate Drive. “If the bus came first, they would take it, but they would take the ride if it came first,” he told The Star.

Michael Giugias, who took over the restaurant in January, said he knew Donna by sight, but was unable to recognize Wendy’s picture. He said he told police he did not see either girl there that night. “It was very busy and we would not notice,” he said.

Noble stated a female friend – whose name he refused to release – told police she saw the girls board a Keele Street bus at 10:45 p.m., which conflicts with Armstrong’s account that he saw them at the same time in the restaurant. “It doesn’t work out,” Armstrong said. “I saw them here and they were already eating, so they must have been here fifteen minutes anyway. How can they be two places at once?”

A neighbour, Ann Curley, said she heard what sounded like dull thuds at about 11:00 p.m. – “like something hitting the ground,” she said. She didn’t pay any attention because they are used to hearing noises from the nearby MacDonald-Cartier Highway. “I know school kids use the field for a shortcut and that cars are always going up and down there. My son Jimmie said the gate has been open for quite a while.” The field can also be reached by walking along an old CNR railway spur below Wilson Avenue which abuts a few other lovers’ lanes. Fred Faion, 50, who lives where Floral Parkway ends at the spur, says young people used to park there about a year ago, but police now keep them on the move.

The family of Solomon Korenblum, whose Winston Park Boulervard house backs on the field where the bodies were found, told police they thought they heard four shots at about midnight, but they were unsure of what the sounds were. Heather Korenblum, 17, told her parents at the breakfast table the following morning that she had heard some “loud bangs” about midnight. The gunshots were what neighbours then thought to be a car backfiring.

On April 30th, 1973, the Metro Police Commission posted a $5,000 reward for information leading to the capture and conviction of the killer.

A funeral service for the girls was held on Tuesday, May 1st, 1973, at the Peoples Church on Sheppard Avenue, North York. Reverend Elmer S. McVety estimated early 1,000 people attended the service. Gerard Leroux, 42, whose 16-year-old daughter Yvonne Leroux was found raped and shot to death on a back road in York Borough last November, came to the funeral to tell both families that “I know what it’s like. I want them to know that life does go on, and that it’s easier with time. I know what the families going through.”

On May 3rd, 1973, a week after the murders, began a police spot check of late night motorists on Wilson Avenue. “The spot check was set up in the hope of finding witnesses who could shed some light on the case,” said Detective Sergeant Walter Tyrell of the homicide squad. Inspector James Noble, head of the homicide squad, said a round-the-clock team is “still grinding out the investigation, following our leads and others phoned by the public.” Police were not “zeroing in on any specific area, including drugs,” said Noble. “There are so many facets this time.” Joan Stearne denied last night that her daughter smoked marijuana. Yesterday Linda Harris, sister of Wendy Tedford, claimed both girls frequently used the drug and left home to look for some that night. Mrs. Stearne said her daughter must have known people involved with drugs “as any teenager going to school these days would,” but “as far as I’m concerned my daughter was not a drug user.” She described Donna as “a Christian, church-going, good girl.” Mrs. Stearne claimed police have failed to make any connection between drugs and Donna’s murder. “We’re very pleased with the way the police are investigating this and we’re co-operating with them fully. We’re racking our brains to come up with anything that might be significant.” For the past three months Donna has worked after school until 9:00 p.m. when she was picked up and driven home, her mother said, so she doubted Donna had the time to get involved in the drug scene.

On Monday, June 4th, 1973, the Metro police now suspect the girls were killed by a madman who might strike again. S. Insp. Jim Crawford head of Metro’s homicide squad had said “It was initially felt that the murders were drug related.' Again, police have appealed to the public for any possible clues to the slayings. “It is a complete puzzle to us, a senseless killing,” said Sergeant Jack Evans, acting head of the homicide squad. “We are certain the girls were killed for no reason.” One theory is that the killer might have been so deranged that he mistook the girls for two other people he hated. Detective Sergeant Wally Tyrrell, in charge of the case, said police have no solid leads after interviewing over 500 people. The girls are believed to have been driven to the field, forced to stand side by side, then shot with a gun inches from their head. Police said they are not ruling out the possibility of a relationship between these cold-blooded murders and that five months ago in North York of 16-year-old Yvonne Leroux who had left a drug centre called the Clinic and planned to hitchhike.

WHO WERE THEY?

The girls had been close friends since they met four years ago while attending C. W. Jeffrey’s Secondary School. Both their fathers were in the Royal Canadian Air Force. Wendy’s brother, Doug Tedford said the girls spent so much time together that Donna was “just like one of the family.” Wendy's mother stated the two spent a lot of time together. They were close in life, and in death.

DONNA LEE STEARNE

Donna Lee Stearne was a Grade 12 student at Downsview Secondary School. She lived at home with her parents Jack Stearne, and Joan Stearne, her brother John Stearne, 19, who was attending York University, and her two younger sisters Alanna, 13, and Janine, 10. According to her father, Donna wanted to become a Veterinarian. “She was crazy about them and always wanted to work with them” he said. She was looking forward to a summer job she had applied to as a counsellor at a children’s summer camp operated by the Peoples Church in which she was baptized three years ago. Her father described Donna as “the religious one in the house. The rest of us didn’t have any regular church connection.” Joyce Hall, who taught Donna in Sunday school three years ago, recalled her as “a pretty young thing, a nice girl... she didn’t stand out. She was just a pleasant, pretty young girl.” Her father was served in the Canadian Armed Forces, and retired last year. He is now a records supervisor at Spar Aerospace Products Ltd., located on Caledon Road. Donna was born in Owen Sound, and in the course of her father’s postings, had lived in West Germany, Edmonton, and Downsview. Jack states “Donna loved to paint Canadian scenes, and was doing one for her mother – a bridge at dusk – it’s not finished.” She belonged to the church choir, and practiced with them most Sundays for about a year. She had been working after school for the past three months until 9:00 p.m. According to her mother, Donna had no boyfriends, and was mostly interested in school, painting, and church.

WENDY ANN TEDFORD

Wendy Ann Tedford dropped out of school two years prior to her death after the death of her father who died of cancer. She moved out from the Sheppard Avenue apartment where she lived with her widowed mother, and into the rented Falstaff Avenue apartment of her elder sister Shirley, and Shirley’s 4-year-old son. Three months prior to her death, she went to work in the business office of the Towers Department Store Ltd. on Orfus Road. Like Donna, Wendy also loved to paint. According to her four brothers and sisters and widowed mother, Wendy, the shy one of the family, was happiest when she was dabbling in oils or putting together model cars. She had been talking a lot about getting married after her 18th birthday on May 12th. It was payday for Wendy the day she was discovered.

Nothing really new in the Star article except this potentially golden nugget:
A sample of semen was recovered from the scene, but it did not match either of the girls' on-again, off-again boyfriends.
I wish there were more detail about that discovery. "Recovered from the scene" is frustratingly vague. Was the semen found next to the bodies, in which case it almost unquestionably belonged to the killer and has surely been DNA typed at this point, or was it recovered from inside the vagina of one of the girls, in which case it was almost without doubt just the vestige of a consensual sexual encounter with an unknown partner?

I would also like to ask the police about the discrepancies in the timeline and the conflicting reports from separate witnesses who positively said the girls either ate hamburgers or only drank Cokes at the diner. Answers would probably not be probitive of anything, but would close some holes in the story.

The gun's dual connection to Windsor is the pivotal clue, in my view. That alone makes me want to persist in rejecting the local-drug-dealer slant.

From what I recall in the latest article, it expands on the gun's discovery, just slightly however, still vague.

Apparently it was found on shoulder of the highway? Which leads me to assume someone must have spotted it and simply alerted the OPP. At least we know it was discarded on the highway and not found in a home or backyard.

From what I read, the police were going to update the family with some form of information within the next few months. Not sure what that's about exactly.

From what I recall in the latest article, it expands on the gun's discovery, just slightly however, still vague.

Apparently it was found on shoulder of the highway? Which leads me to assume someone must have spotted it and simply alerted the OPP. At least we know it was discarded on the highway and not found in a home or backyard.

From what I read, the police were going to update the family with some form of information within the next few months. Not sure what that's about exactly.

Actually, I think they only recently decided to send the sample of semen out for DNA testing, and since it could take months before they get results back, I believe that's what the "update to the family in a couple of months" will be.

Yes, I took note of that part of the article too, because my recollection of past reports on the gun is that it was located in conjunction with an unrelated criminal investigation in Windsor. Maybe I remembered wrong.
Actually, I think they only recently decided to send the sample of semen out for DNA testing, and since it could take months before they get results back, I believe that's what the "update to the family in a couple of months" will be.
Really? Law enforcement worldwide has been availed of DNA testing since the late-'80s, and only now are these guys getting around to submitting the sample in this case? Oh well, I don't want to judge without knowing more. I'm sure there are reasons.

I agree, Crimesolver, the only new thing that came to light is the DNA/semen. Hope this eventually yields something.

However - and I did expect it - the article was more so of a reminder-summary of the case, rather than a detailed analysis of the matter, posing otehr scenarios, etc. Same for the video.

What I did learn from the video was that the Sit-n-Eat was located in the middle of the plaza, not on the north end of it. I thought the latter because years ago I drove by and the location I thought was the restaurant was, too, called the "Sit-n-Eat".

I agree, Crimesolver, the only new thing that came to light is the DNA/semen. Hope this eventually yields something.

However - and I did expect it - the article was more so of a reminder-summary of the case, rather than a detailed analysis of the matter, posing otehr scenarios, etc. Same for the video.
I found the whole 4-part series a bit disappointing. Just summaries, as you said, with very little in the way of supporting material. If it had been my series, I would have included maps, diagrams, as many file photos as possible, etc. Plus, the four cases covered were all quite well-known, while there are so many others of interest languishing in filing cabinets. But reporters are limited in the breadth and depth of what they can cover by the demands of their editors. I don't blame these reporters, nor even the paper. It can only devote so much space to each story.
What I did learn from the video was that the Sit-n-Eat was located in the middle of the plaza, not on the north end of it. I thought the latter because years ago I drove by and the location I thought was the restaurant was, too, called the "Sit-n-Eat".
I didn't even know there was a plaza there, although I have driven past the area a few times over the years.

Came across this in the current book I am reading.

On May 7th, 2972, Edmund Kemper picked up two college girls hitchhiking on a freeway. Knowing the area well, he managed to drive around without them realizing he had changed directions from where they wanted to go. He then stopped his car in a remote area he was familiar with from his work with the highway department.

Also, Edmund Kemper is an example of a serial killer who didn't have one signature and his victims causes of death were not all the same. Some were shot while others were stabbed, one handcuffed, another raped, but not all, etc.

In a letter he wrote to police, he stated, "It was quick... the way I wanted it. Not sloppy or incomplete... Just a "lack of time". I got things to do!!!!"

Make what you will of this in regards to the STEARNE and TEDFORD case, I'm definitely not implying he did it, but the similarities of these two double murders in particular give one a broader idea of what may have happened, how and why.

On May 7th, 2972, Edmund Kemper picked up two college girls hitchhiking on a freeway. Knowing the area well, he managed to drive around without them realizing he had changed directions from where they wanted to go. He then stopped his car in a remote area he was familiar with from his work with the highway department.

Also, Edmund Kemper is an example of a serial killer who didn't have one signature and his victims causes of death were not all the same. Some were shot while others were stabbed, one handcuffed, another raped, but not all, etc.

In a letter he wrote to police, he stated, "It was quick... the way I wanted it. Not sloppy or incomplete... Just a "lack of time". I got things to do!!!!"

Make what you will of this in regards to the STEARNE and TEDFORD case, I'm definitely not implying he did it, but the similarities of these two double murders in particular give one a broader idea of what may have happened, how and why.
I cited Kemper earlier (was it in this thread?) as someone whose victimology, once he moved into "serial killer mode", was consistent. All female hitchhikers, and all, with the exception of a 15-year-old, young university students ultimately killed in part for sexual gratification and in part for the power trip.
He killed his grandmother as a teen and spent little time in custody. Ten years later, his last victims were his mother and a friend of hers. Those are incongruities. You're right in that he isn't the best example of a strictly-patterned serial killer, but there are distinct patterns nevertheless.
Very unlikely he did Tedford/Stearne because, first of all, there's no evidence the U.S. West Coast native was ever in the Toronto area (probably would not have been admitted to the country), and secondly, Kemper's victims were very brutally despatched and defiled post-mortem in a hands-on fashion, in contrast to the hands-off manner of the Tedford/Stearne murders.

I'm aware of Edmund Kemper, and I'm not saying he was involved, at all.

I posted that because it sounds so familiar to this crime scene.

How he picked up the hitchhikers, and how he was able to lead them into the remote area. Makes sense that the person responsible for the Stearne and Tedford murders did the same thing. He picked them up to give them a ride, it was dark, and they were probably conversing. Either way, he may have changed directions without them realizing it, or told them about a shortcut he knew, either way he may have been very familiar with the area and even worked there. Again, areas that have been explored, but to read this was an unexpected flashback in a way.

I remember Linda, Wendy's sister being adamant that the girls would not have hitchhiked. She says the girls, or one of them at least, had had a frightening incident involving hitchhiking some weeks or months before their murders, and she is certain they would not have hitchhiked.
To me the case smacks of hitchhiking too, but Linda would have a better idea of what behavioural practices her sister did and didn't follow.

The Sit n Eat was 'the' place to go for young teens at that time. Everyone met there. Everyone hung out there. It was like Arnolds in 'Happy Days'. At Jane and Wilson it was Harveys. They were an older crowd. We would go from the school, DSS, to the Sit n Eat for fries at lunch. Everyone hung out at the Sit n Eat. These girls were not 'hooking'. Wendy had just recently broken up with a fiancee.

The map you have does not indicate the Sit n Eat but does indicate the North York Library. The Sit n Eat was further up at the lights, closer to the base. Our sports teams did not go to Windsor to play games. We mostly stayed within the city playing other schools. There was never any mention of the RCMP being involved and if they had, maybe they may have gotten somewhere. This was handled locally.

Yeah, I goofed a bit on the maps in terms of how far north the diner was located (a couple more blocks than indicated on my maps). At the time I didn't know exactly.

I don't know if I would blame the local police for the failure of a resolution. They had plenty of experience with homicides. I think it's a matter of scarce evidence and a killer who has lain low through the years and not made waves.

Hello,
I came across this site after reading about this murder in a book called “Toronto: The Unknown City”. The book really does not shed anything new but rather just references the details found on the Toronto Police cold case web site. The page about the crime caught my interest because of the location and reference to the school and restaurant mentioned. The “Sit & Eat” was a well known hang out place, Downsview SS was a well known school, known for their football, and rivals to CW Jeffery’s high school and others if I recall correctly. The 1973 high school scene is a little before my time but these landmarks and their vibe went on well after 73.

When I read about the crime, the thing I found strange was the gun and its trek from Windsor to North York and then back to Windsor. As already posted previously, I naturally thought of a truck driver, not because of the access from and to the 401 highway but rather for another coincidental reason?

Take a look at the third police aerial photo from their web site. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/3

The one that I was interested in was the third one from the left under the word “Media”. At the bottom right had corner of this photo you will see what are trucks back up to a dock. This was the original terminal of “Apex Motor Express” They were located at 955 Wilson avenue at the time and I believe they owned or purchased the land adjacent to this original location, the lot to the east of this location which is were they ended up building their new terminal at 1011 Wilson Avenue, which I think was part of the KVN construction company lot. I think the truckers would have known about the “Sit & Eat” as a place to grab a quick burger and fries especially given the later hours it seemed to be open.

Anyway, a gun that travels from Windsor, to North York, back to Windsor, a trucker naturally comes to mind, a trucking company basically on the door step of where the bodies were found who by the way, had back in 1973 and still have today, a terminal in Windsor.

Coincidence, maybe, too obvious, definitely, hey but you never know.

Good thinking, SamIam. I would imagine police investigated that angle, unless they were too fixated on the drug dealer theory.

Perhaps a guy coming off the afternoon shift (3-11) at Apex either intercepted the girls as they walked south, or met them at the diner and offered them a ride. He was familiar with the derelict lot next to the company where he worked and knew he wouldn't be disturbed there. The girls were driven into the driveway, forced from the car, and herded deeper into the lot at gunpoint. But they balked when the perp demanded they undress, so he shot them both and masturbated (hence the semen found at the scene).
Knowing that the company had a terminal in Windsor is very intriguing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back