CANADA Canada - Donna Stearne & Wendy Tedford, both 17, Toronto, 26 Apr 1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can you help me with how to find out more about the note and the notebook and the dream?

Again, I do not know the case that well and I do not know this aspect of the case at all.

Please direct to where I can find out more about this notebook aspect - Thank you.

The tripod link does not go anywhere.

Can you help me with how to find out more about the note and the notebook and the dream?

Again, I do not know the case that well and I do not know this aspect of the case at all.

Please direct to where I can find out more about this notebook aspect - Thank you.

The tripod link does not go anywhere.

Sorry, at the moment can only seem to find that link to newspaper article in google search. The link I posted seems to work for me, actually wish I could find more info on "premonition" WT's Mother spoke of in that Sun article. Will try again.

I think that they were at the SitnEat is nigh-incontestable. They weren't only seen by schoolmate Anthony (?) across the street, but by diner staff. The somewhat intriguing question is, where did they get the recently-eaten burgers the coroner found in their systems if, as the SitnEat server insists, they only had sodas. I guess the answer is, anywhere on Yonge St. But then, having already stopped for food, why make the extra trip to SitnEat for sodas, unless there was another reason for going there? Eh, it's unknowable. Young people can be extremely impulsive.
I'm the one who suggested that, simply because, if they went downtown, as we now know they did, they wouldn't have had enough time to pop into Yorkdale (which isn't even taking into account that the mall closes at 9). Plus, reason suggests they wouldn't have ended up on a Lawrence Ave. bus (1.5 km in the wrong direction) if they were intent on heading to SitnEat. They would have taken the subway to Wilson station and hopped onto a westbound bus from there. That's my conjecture, but as I said, they weren't necessarily doing everything in a well-planned manner, as one views it 40 years later sitting at a computer.
Doubt it. Too far out of the way given the time constraints, but possible.

And by the way, I would definitely not rule out David Norris.

RBBM

From this news link, a small detail just caught my attention and had me imagining/ speculating a scenario of someone driving home or to work with a couple of burgers in hand and offered to a pair of girls who may have accepted a ride after a soda....

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/28/cold-case-arrest-provides-hope-to-slain-womans-family

"So where was the guy known as Ernie for all those years?

Toronto Police was one stop — from 1971 to ‘73.

“He was a civilian in the records room but there is nothing he wanted more in life than to be a police officer,” said a co-worker. “Ernie used to get us to pick him up a burger because the Employment Office told him, the only thing holding him back was he was too skinny.”

First Man now the word mafia that interests me in this context a lot. And as you say the mafia was hardly going around executing teenage girls in Toronto in the 70s or anytime for that matter. But D. is another matter.

Do you have some evidence that Deb. worked for Maf. or is it surmise no need to present it just your opinion for now thank you.

DBLN was a huge note guy.

Missing Trio - December 23, 1974. DBLN likely brought a note to the victim's family home while the family was inside panicking.

The Lyon Sisters. Their was reportedly a note written by the older sister found in a Virginia river months after the Lyon girls vanished (literally a message in a bottle).

Mary Shotwell Little. Notes were written and used for a sequence of ransom or extortion attempts.

Irene Pearson - Winnipeg realtor "be back in 19 minutes" http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=92.0

I need to have access to the premonition notes to understand the crime better.

In order for the dream notes to make more sense then it would seem like DBLN likely had access to the girls at one time before - maybe even 2 - before the night they were murdered.

As I have come to understand it DBLN did not like marijuana - made him floridly psychotic - so if it was drugs it may have been cocaine.

Look at the Lyon sisters case and you will see DBLN sketched as the Tape Recorder Man - an elaborate ruse to get the girls to be seen talking to DBLN in a crowded mall just before the Lyon girls vanished forever. He certainly had at least one contact with the girls prior to being seen with them inside a crowded mall where the Lyon girls were seen speaking to the Tape Recorder Man (likely DBLN).

I could imagine DBLN offering free drugs to the girls for an "essay" that reports a dream of an execution style murder of two girls. All laughs of course while partying hard.

Also DBLN was known for enlisting realtors to take him around - for many reasons - but most definitely to find vacated safe houses to take his victims.

Maybe the place Tedford and Stearne were murdered was near a safe house.

Also maybe DBLN worked with another in this case. A smoother more sociable player type for part I - and he was the lone actor in part II where the executions took place.

I can expound on the partner crime theory piece but I do need to see the premonition piece to be able to examine more fully if that could have been a piece of DBLN's ruse.

Real estate well renting. one of the girls was to move into apt. following month their first new place. Possibility they went there often landlords would give you key early if no tenant present.

Very very close to field closer than SitnEat even I think other side of 401.

I don't think we have the note just a report there was a note describing supposedly the crime LE were shocked at similarity.

One of girls unfinished painting of bridge I always imagined picturesque little bridge but 401 closeby again have never seen painting just described.

I'm aware of Edmund Kemper, and I'm not saying he was involved, at all.

I posted that because it sounds so familiar to this crime scene.

How he picked up the hitchhikers, and how he was able to lead them into the remote area. Makes sense that the person responsible for the Stearne and Tedford murders did the same thing. He picked them up to give them a ride, it was dark, and they were probably conversing. Either way, he may have changed directions without them realizing it, or told them about a shortcut he knew, either way he may have been very familiar with the area and even worked there. Again, areas that have been explored, but to read this was an unexpected flashback in a way.

Interesting post few years ago this thread September 14th 2009

First Man now the word mafia that interests me in this context a lot. And as you say the mafia was hardly going around executing teenage girls in Toronto in the 70s or anytime for that matter. But D. is another matter.

Do you have some evidence that Deb. worked for Maf. or is it surmise no need to present it just your opinion for now thank you.

Well DBLN opened a sleazy *advertiser censored* shop in DC in 1972 called the Naked eye and he got the place published with photographs in the Washington Post (they used his real name Mike DeBardeleben - and he was an active serial killer at the time so he did not get photographed, but his manager did) and he was published in the Washington Star (now defunct newspaper but it was as big if not bigger then the post circa 1972 - no small accomplishment). I mean that the Mob got things published. And the mob owned DC at that time especially the sex industry which enveloped DC in those years.

Then I searched the Post archives for the term rent-a-nude because that's how the establishment was described- "rent-a-nude" and a camera and make your own homemade *advertiser censored*. And sure enough simultaneous to the place opening in DC a place in Norfolk VA was being busted by the police for the exact same set up - Rent-a-nude with cameras - same pricing. That's likely DBLN trying to work around how the Mob owned his shop in DC.

So showing up in the papers like that and opening more then one in more then one place says backing. Also DBLN bragged of mafia connections once in prison. He was corresponding to his daughter and spoke of mob connections often.
Also I found a Washington post article I think it was 1959 - a "well dressed man" passing fake $20 bills with his colleagues at a crowded Mall at Christmas time - the whole New York based counterfeit ring had already been taken down - but a few criminals were passing a few more here in Langley Park Maryland - that's likely DBLN as well dressed man - and that's likely mob ring making the counterfeit. That's likely where DBLN learned it.

Also Mary Shotwell Little was likely a bank job gone awry and the mob was trying to get a piece. This was likely DBLN and gang kidnapping and raping and then extorting and then murdering shotwell - connected to Shotwell was Diane Shields who in 1967 was later found murdered in the trunk of her car with her phone book stuffed in her mouth - that was likely DBLN's handy work - part of the mob stuff too.

His early car thief days - and some of his bank jobs - DBLN did many, many, many bank jobs - he got rich...

He would case a bank - figure out who the manager was - follow him home - case his home - wait for a typical work day when the manager went to work - knock on the manager's front door at his home - when the wife would answer he would show a badge and say he was federal banking agent so and so - she would let him in - DBLN would stick a gun in her face - tie her up - put tape over her mouth - telephone the bank - get the manager on the phone - tell the manager that he was at a hotel with the manager's wife with a gun to her head and that he would murder her if the manager did not follow DBLN instructions - Instructions included notes attached to the managers car windshield or other such moves that DBLN or his wife or another partner would help him with - and he would walk off with 30 to 100 thousand dollars. I have found 15 to 20 such hits throughout america - Texas, Colorado, Maryland, DC, Virginia, Ohio, Chicago, Minnesota, and so on DBLN had plenty and plenty of $$$$.

He did one where he called the bank manager's wife at home and told her he was the phone company - could she please not answer the phone between the times of 11:30 AM and 1PM as this was a phone company test.

He called the Bank Manager and told him that his wife was in mortal danger - she was not home and could not be found ever again if the manager did not leave $120,000 (early 1970's American dollars) by a certain tree. The manager was told to leave the $ and go stand in front of a certain theatre in town if ever wanted to see his wife again. The manager started to phone his wife frantically. She thought it was the phone company test - she did not answer - this caused the manager to follow through with the extortion plot.

DBLN was very busy with the mob but he was likely a free lancer - doing jobs and other things for the mob - some of which I am not ready to theorize about in public...But whatever I am holding back - guarantee the Secret Service has known and been sitting on extremely dark crimes and many of them for decades. They are hiding from the public and from families many many extremely obvious and solvable crimes - Why?

Hi Dotr,

Thanks for the repost may I ask you or anyone:

1. LE top right is looking at very crumpled long piece of paper? Must be something from crime scene surely their own materials not kept this condition?

2. Is police officer pointing or reaching towards one of the girl's feet?

3. Is the other girl in a heap (both are covered by this point) between the group of officers?

If above correct they seem head to foot? Not beside each other? (Presuming not moved.)

Not a good image of course so not sure.

Caveat I have with Deb. is they are so close to that fence. D. is someone who wanted his criminal life to go on and on. Yet surely this is quite careless. He would have to be talking to the girls to get them to lie down. It is only midnight and April surely possible that windows could have been opened in the houses.

The present officer on the case thinks they were not positioned but fell that way i.e. were shot standing up.x

Also if you blow up the picture possibly officer is not pointing or reaching but doing some measurement with his fingers say about two inches towards the feet but I can't think why.

Also it is tough to see a kidnapping gone wrong there. If the girls fought back and the guy is armed obviously so how are they going to do that that - would create more of a ruckas.

Beside that fence other side there are houses a survey and there is a fence through to the street right at the fence there. No idea if it was opened or locked.

Also it is tough to see a kidnapping gone wrong there. If the girls fought back and the guy is armed obviously so how are they going to do that that - would create more of a ruckas.

Beside that fence other side there are houses a survey and there is a fence through to the street right at the fence there. No idea if it was opened or locked.

Well it could have been a situation where at some point in an interaction with them he flashed a badge - they told him to go f himself and he pulled a gun. When I say fight back I really mean tell him no - cuss at him - that kind of thing. How much can a person fight back with a gun pointed at there head by a psychopath?

He likely told them "get down on the ground and I won't hurt you".

Anyone have thought on pics I mention in 291 most recently bumped by Dotr?

Useful to zoom. Poor quality from newspaper.

The police in charge of Tedford and Stearne NEED to make phone contact with Detective Coady at the Prince William Virginia County Police Department.

Also please know that their is a uniformed Prince William County Virginia officer that testified against DBLN and got him convicted of a rape against her. She may be willing to get more involved in helping too.

Their was likely overlapping evidence to help give Canadian police a path. IF anyone knows how to contact a Canadian Officer that cares please advice this - the worse that can happen is nothing - the most would be that some link can be made between the two cases (Scarbrough caseand Tedford/Stearne case) and give family members some opportunity at knowing what happened more.

The police in charge of Tedford and Stearne NEED to make phone contact with Detective Coady at the Prince William Virginia County Police Department.

Also please know that their is a uniformed Prince William County Virginia officer that testified against DBLN and got him convicted of a rape against her. She may be willing to get more involved in helping too.

Their was likely overlapping evidence to help give Canadian police a path. IF anyone knows how to contact a Canadian Officer that cares please advice this - the worse that can happen is nothing - the most would be that some link can be made between the two cases (Scarbrough caseand Tedford/Stearne case) and give family members some opportunity at knowing what happened more.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/modu...=article&sid=5798&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

"“You may think you have gotten away with a homicide, but in fact you haven’t and you won’t because the scientific technology is so great that we will catch you,” Steve Ryan, who heads the service’s Cold Case section, said at a press conference at police headquarters. “It may take time – in this case 30 years – but we will catch up to you.” Ryan credited the forensic scientists and the dedication of all the officers who have worked on the file over the years for cracking the case.

“The fact that we are here today is testament to the quality of police work that I believe has been done since the initial investigation dating back to 1981,” he added. “The contributions of efforts of the Centre for Forensic Science were instrumental in the conclusion we have come to today. “…The quality of this investigation right from 1981 through the hands of all the cold case officers up until we looked at it has been outstanding. It is as a result of the work that they have done that allowed us to re-submit this piece of evidence and, through the Centre for Forensic Science, we were able to lay charges.”

Ryan said he hopes that Westergard’s arrest will provide comfort to the relatives of cold case victims. “We as investigators never give up or forget your loved ones,” he said."

https://222tips.com/

Yes I wonder if the MP witness is still alive and if he was ever shown a yearbook from her school and now I would add from Downsview school? Your idea is a good one. And Crimesolver also brought up notion of a student in Mariam P. case. (I am not dismissing the new info by the way).

It is a very strange thing (for me) though obviously probably a coincidence but the one time each I went to 'investigate' the body find site and the back pack find site in the Mariam Makhniashvili case I was approached by young men who approached me with an odd question. That is going on two years ago now and thinking about it I don't think it has happened since - since I am older young people just don't come up to me out of blue and start talking to me.

1. Walking up from York Mills station on Yonge a tallish apparently healthy and well off light to reddish hair young man said from out of town backpack stopped me and said may I ask you a question? Why does the TTC not give change on the buses? I said I had no idea and he told me "you should think about it."

2. At 120 E. east in the parking lot a very very nervous five foot eight dark slightly curly haired young man again well off looking with a paper in his hand sort of crumpled up came up to me anxiously and asked if I wanted a cigarette. Again can't remember ever being asked that question before at least for decades. I think he had an accent but what kind? I walked east along Eg. and he walked ahead very nervous pretend to spit nonchalantly then looked at a building entrance and walked in.

Sorry for adding this I realize I am not making much sense. But it is the second man I wish I had talked to.

Of course it could just be someone like me interested in the case or of course just chance.

Mariam Peters

Wheels on fire..

Cannot find news link at the moment for this case, but it occurred in an area very close to St. Patrick subway. An unprovoked stabbing attack on a then young model by a random stranger...
Wonder if the perp had any connection to Mariam P case and if he is still incarcerated??

http://business.highbeam.com/4341/article-1G1-72070349/wheeler-fire

"CTV Newsnet broadcaster Kate Wheeler would have been happy with a life behind the scenes. In 1984, Wheeler, now 39, was stabbed in a Toronto mall by a stranger who was later deemed criminally insane. She suffered a punctured liver and wounds in a thigh and arm. Her story was made into a City TV five-part series, The Kate Wheeler Story: Diary of a Victim, which flagged flaws in the justice system's treatment of victims of violence. "At that time, victims had to wait about three years for compensation," says Wheeler. "Now, people get up-front money for psychological …"

I would look at post 206 and the link and name there. I think the trouble will be that the perp is deceased and there is little to link the crimes. Malls: there is endless crime in and around say the Eaton Centre in Toronto that of course has nothing to do with Deb.

Same thing with real estate agent ruse: very very common trick for obvious reasons not man professions where it so easy to isolate a woman (agent). I am just thinking the way I think LE might think on this which is why they are not biting so far at your info.

I am not saying you are wrong but unless you have lots more they are going to be sceptical since there is no info he was in Canada and honestly it is a very strange place for him to be up there in Downsview.

If he had met the girls downtown or at Yorkdale mall why were they seen alone at Lawrence bustop (if accurate).

As mentioned by other posters I think it is likely the person was familiar with the area and the field and businesses where the crime took place.

Just to document no doubt nothing: discussion about Jacqueline English case 1969 mentions the proximity of a Towers store to one of the evidence scenes if I am reading it correctly. Either Wendy or Donna was working at Towers in Toronto I believe? As I say probably so what except unless I am wrong she was not working retail exactly so might come in contact with execs or travelling managers etc.

Just to document no doubt nothing: discussion about Jacqueline English case 1969 mentions the proximity of a Towers store to one of the evidence scenes if I am reading it correctly. Either Wendy or Donna was working at Towers in Toronto I believe? As I say probably so what except unless I am wrong she was not working retail exactly so might come in contact with execs or travelling managers etc.

Some interesting history here ..

http://www.towersdepartmentstores.info/pages/history.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18