CANADA Canada - Emma Fillipoff, 26, Victoria BC, 28 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know the details of Emma's van towed from the downtown lot...

Did she know it was to be towed or was she caught off guard/surprised to see it gone that morning? Did she come to the lot, see it gone and maybe think it was stolen? Or was she made aware it was towed? If she knew it was towed, did she have a plan to go to the tow yard and collect her belongings from the van that day? Which tow yard was her van towed to?

Did she know it was to be towed or was she caught off guard/surprised to see it gone that morning? Did she come to the lot, see it gone and maybe think it was stolen? Or was she made aware it was towed? If she knew it was towed, did she have a plan to go to the tow yard and collect her belongings from the van that day? Which tow yard was her van towed to?

I agree this is a bit strange and raises questions

A. Could she have been expected to return to this van for a purpose, like her mother said to ship belongings back east?
B. Could she have had it towed here so it was easier to dispose of? (vehicle would be towed pretty quick but not too quick not to allow time to remove items from it over a few days)
C. Had she planned to sleep in this vehicle, despite being a resident of a women's shelter? Is there a maximum length-of-stay at this shelter or a waiting period in between stays where having the van convenient might help during the winter?
D. Was it for sale? (probably hard to find out since it's been so long now)

I also find 'clutching her shoes' odd. Was she wet? Recent dip in the inner harbour? Very strange.

I really hope the PI finds out the answers to questions like this somehow

I agree this is a bit strange and raises questions

A. Could she have been expected to return to this van for a purpose, like her mother said to ship belongings back east?
B. Could she have had it towed here so it was easier to dispose of? (vehicle would be towed pretty quick but not too quick not to allow time to remove items from it over a few days)
C. Had she planned to sleep in this vehicle, despite being a resident of a women's shelter? Is there a maximum length-of-stay at this shelter or a waiting period in between stays where having the van convenient might help during the winter?
D. Was it for sale? (probably hard to find out since it's been so long now)

I also find 'clutching her shoes' odd. Was she wet? Recent dip in the inner harbour? Very strange.

I really hope the PI finds out the answers to questions like this somehow

I think the family, LE and the PI probably know the answers to these questions, but we don't.

A. I think she was expected to return to the van to gather things to ship via bus. I'm curious *who* else knew she was doing this. From what I know about Victoria, most people only get towed when someone phones it in at least that's what City Hall told me when I was ticketed while parked in my own neighborhood, but this might only pertain to residential parking not downtown in a lot. I still don't imagine they would tow on a one time incident, usually they'll ticket first or a few times even every hour before doing a straight off tow. She showed up at 7am, so it must've been towed the night before and not that morning? I'm curious if someone sabotaged her by calling the towers?

B. She might have had the van taken downtown to ship her stuff and easy disposal, definitely.

C. I think she would have been bothered more if sleeping in the van. Police, drunken passerby's, or staff would've been knocking on her van windows, it's a pretty busy area. She might've been quite cold in the van at night too, JMO.

D. I tried searching for historical kijiji and craigslists ads (changed search times to 2012) but didn't find anything.

I read on the FB page Emma's mom said it wasn't uncommon for Emma walk barefoot even into the fall months, so I thought it was odd too about the barefoot thing, but apparently it was typical of her and not so strange.

With the timeline, I'm trying to think what happened (my thoughts BBM):

7am: Arrived at Chateau Victoria neighboring parking lot to find van gone (I find the timing too coincidental that her van *just* gets towed the night before or morning of her leaving, what are the odds?)

8:23am: Purchases a pre-paid credit card at 7-11 at this time.

8:30-12pm: Gap in time, where was she?

12:00 noon: May have visited the library around noon, maybe she used the internet at the library to find the location of the tow company to go get her stuff?

12pm-5:54pm: Gap of time, is this is when she went out to the airport?

5:54pm: Emma returns to the same 7-Eleven store and purchases a pre-paid cell phone.

6pm: Staff at shelter sees her leave

6:10pm: Taxi driver with ABC Taxi picks Emma up from the Harbour Air Terminal. Emma tells him to take her to the airport. When he tells her the cost of going to the airport, she asks him to drive her back to where he picked her up from (back to Harbour Air Terminal?)and gets out. We do not know where Emma was planning on flying to.

7-7:45pm: Downtown at Empress speaking with LE

I'm still trying to determine ''which'' parking lot she was EXACTLY parked in.....when I google the parking I'm getting options much further away than ''just next to the Chateau Victoria''.....if it was a ''city'' (CRD) parking lot or a private one....city has towing contractors and private lots may use all and sundry...MOO

Sorry to post so much, just thinking out loud…

I find it interesting that Emma didn't get cash at the ATM that morning, she instead got a prepaid credit card. Why? I asked my spouse why someone would need or use a prepaid credit card instead of cash, he gave these examples:

1. For internet/online purchases (goods, airplane ticket)
2. Need one for a hotel booking, supposedly most hotels won't let you pay with plain cash, they need a deposit/insurance
3. Car rental
4. To be used a deposit for something
5. Can be untraceable to purchaser if bought with cash, but traceable to purchaser if bought with debit

I'm still trying to determine ''which'' parking lot she was EXACTLY parked in.....when I google the parking I'm getting options much further away than ''just next to the Chateau Victoria''.....if it was a ''city'' (CRD) parking lot or a private one....city has towing contractors and private lots may use all and sundry...MOO

Me too, one MSM article says it was parked in CV lot, another article says in a neighboring lot. When I go downtown next time, I'll try to take a peek around. I'll check google as well, see if I grasp at where the lot is.

I'm just going through this more detailed info on this link, some tidbits that help:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/blog/clues-that-may-help-in-the-search-for-emma-fillipoff

I might edit my little timeline with this detailed info, it might help jar someone's memory or an idea.

if her car had been towed and she called in a 'stolen report' to police, LE would be able to tell if her vehicle was towed as per this info on Victoria by-laws

''Providing a daily list to police
Between the hours of 12:00 noon and 4:00 pm each day, a towing company must deliver to the Victoria Police Department a list containing a description and the vehicle licence number of each vehicle in the custody of the towing company at 9:00 am of that day.'' page 7 on the pdf....

http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/city/bylaws.html

http://www.victoria.ca/assets/City~Hall/Bylaws/bylaw-11-033.pdf

I find it interesting that Emma didn't get cash at the ATM that morning, she instead got a prepaid credit card. Why? I asked my spouse why someone would need or use a prepaid credit card instead of cash, he gave these examples:

2. Need one for a hotel booking, supposedly most hotels won't let you pay with plain cash, they need a deposit/insurance
3. Car rental
5. Can be untraceable to purchaser if bought with cash, but traceable to purchaser if bought with debit

or getting van out of ''car jail'' -- I think it would have cost her about $150 and they may have only accepted credit card or cash....

the transportation issues....car rental & plane ticket ....absolutely necessary these days...can't rent a car without one...

bus 50 would have had her at Juan de fuca rec center location in half hour ....... easy peasy.....

9:43 PM–10:14 PM
Bus50
31 min

9:47 PM from Northbound Douglas at Belleville (#100010)
8 min every 30 min

or getting van out of ''car jail'' -- I think it would have cost her about $150 and they may have only accepted credit card or cash....

the transportation issues....car rental & plane ticket ....absolutely necessary these days...can't rent a car without one...

So true, it's scary that you need a credit card to do most things nowadays!

It is just me, or is it super creepy that on JH's FB he posted photos of Sooke River in December 2014? I'm baffled by the whole Sooke connection.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weary, but I've lived on Southern Vancouver Island for 10+ years and have gone to Sooke maybe twice. I guess people go out there for the Sooke Potholes, but it's not exactly a tourist destination someone visiting or living temporarily would go in my opinion. There's so much ocean and beaches close by for Victorians, I find Sooke a bit out of the way of a place to go to hang out in or for scenery, JMO.

It is just me, or is it super creepy that on JH's FB he posted photos of Sooke River in December 2014? I'm baffled by the whole Sooke connection.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weary, but I've lived on Southern Vancouver Island for 10+ years and have gone to Sooke maybe twice. I guess people go out there for the Sooke Potholes, but it's not exactly a tourist destination someone visiting or living temporarily would go in my opinion. There's so much ocean and beaches close by for Victorians, I find Sooke a bit out of the way of a place to go to hang out in or for scenery, JMO.

there are some ''foodie'' places out there though and some farms still -- there's Bear Mountain resort out there too and she was in the food industry I am wondering if she was trying to network MOO

there are some ''foodie'' places out there though and some farms still -- there's Bear Mountain resort out there too and she was in the food industry I am wondering if she was trying to network MOO

Bear Mountain is in Langford more, and quite a ways away. From downtown Victoria, Langford is about a 20 minute car drive and Sooke is approx. 45 minute car drive, depending on time of day and traffic. Langford is *almost* in the middle, a little more closer to the Sooke end though, so closer to Sooke.

There is the Sooke Harbour House restaurant, which is a foodie landmark for sure.

that could be the one
and there are buses on that street too....((I set the ''image to june 2012)) .....

2014 looks like they are tearing down that building??

The empty building behind the lot used to be the Queen Victoria Hotel, but it closed and sold and I believe they're rental suites now.

I have no clue about the Sooke connection but I do think that JH might have followed Emma to Victoria. I don't know whether he was still in contact with her over the Internet, or if he was just ''stalking'' her from the beginning. Although, I must say that, physically, he appears to be a good guy but you never know...

I've been wondering is he's the one she was thinking of when she said she was being stalked. In the surveillance videos, she did look like she was trying to hide from someone, or at least make sure that someone was not waiting for her outside. She was probably really being stalked by someone, or she was having paranoia.

I don't know if JH played a part in her disappearance but I think that the coincidences are too much to be real coincidences... JMO

3. Car rental

Airline ticket was my first thought about the prepaid credit card. Did she have a limit to how much she could spend or withdraw from an ATM per withdraw, per day? MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back