CANADA Canada - Emma Fillipoff, 26, Victoria BC, 28 Nov 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone out there know if Emma's camera was found in her van?

IIRC, she was a very good photographer and some of her photos I've seen I can tell were taken with a good camera and will skill with lighting.

Airline ticket was my first thought about the prepaid credit card. Did she have a limit to how much she could spend or withdraw from an ATM per withdraw, per day? MOO.

I don't recall hearing how much the prepaid credit card was for, but I keep thinking $200 for some reason (maybe I did read it somewhere?)

It almost sounds like she took a taxi to Harbour Air, realized how expensive it was (which it is), so went to take that other taxi to the airport but cabbie told her the expense of the fare so she asked him to drive her back to Harbour Air. Maybe the card did have a small limit and she felt she couldn't get back home...

I have no clue about the Sooke connection but I do think that JH might have followed Emma to Victoria. I don't know whether he was still in contact with her over the Internet, or if he was just ''stalking'' her from the beginning. Although, I must say that, physically, he appears to be a good guy but you never know...

I've been wondering is he's the one she was thinking of when she said she was being stalked. In the surveillance videos, she did look like she was trying to hide from someone, or at least make sure that someone was not waiting for her outside. She was probably really being stalked by someone, or she was having paranoia.

I don't know if JH played a part in her disappearance but I think that the coincidences are too much to be real coincidences... JMO

Yeah, he some some peculiar coincidences….on his FB page there's a cell-phone style photo with FB date of Nov 27th with not so good resolution of the ocean and possibly the Olympic Mountain (I thought Mt. Baker, but pretty sure it's Olympic Mountain range) and looks like around Dallas Rd, which is along the ocean close to downtown and the shelter.

The next photo, with a FB date of Nov 27th is a high-res, well lit/well taken photo of him kayaking on the ocean, this photo looks like it was taken with a good, expensive camera and the lighting is set right. I wonder who took this photo of him? I wonder if the photos were taken those days or uploaded those days? I wonder if Emma's camera was in her van or not?

Or I just might be overly suspicious, but again, what are the odds? Seems weird...

Yeah, he some some peculiar coincidences….on his FB page there's a cell-phone style photo with FB date of Nov 27th with not so good resolution of the ocean and possibly the Olympic Mountain (I thought Mt. Baker, but pretty sure it's Olympic Mountain range) and looks like around Dallas Rd, which is along the ocean close to downtown and the shelter.

The next photo, with a FB date of Nov 27th is a high-res, well lit/well taken photo of him kayaking on the ocean, this photo looks like it was taken with a good, expensive camera and the lighting is set right. I wonder who took this photo of him? I wonder if the photos were taken those days or uploaded those days? I wonder if Emma's camera was in her van or not?

Or I just might be overly suspicious, but again, what are the odds? Seems weird...

another sooke connection complete with rental kayaks and view of WA State coastal mountains....

http://discoversooke.com/outdoor-activities/adventure/kayaking/

It is just me, or is it super creepy that on JH's FB he posted photos of Sooke River in December 2014? I'm baffled by the whole Sooke connection.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weary, but I've lived on Southern Vancouver Island for 10+ years and have gone to Sooke maybe twice. I guess people go out there for the Sooke Potholes, but it's not exactly a tourist destination someone visiting or living temporarily would go in my opinion. There's so much ocean and beaches close by for Victorians, I find Sooke a bit out of the way of a place to go to hang out in or for scenery, JMO.
It's not just you. I think JH or another man/men have something to do with Emma's disappearance. I would suggest that we stop focussing on Emma going to airports, on buses, etc. and start asking questions about weather or not LE has prematurely ruled out JH. Perhaps Shelley would provide some answers or her theories about the suspects. Green shirt guy also has to be found. Again in my opinion.

Does anyone out there know if Emma's camera was found in her van?

IIRC, she was a very good photographer and some of her photos I've seen I can tell were taken with a good camera and will skill with lighting.

From Wikipedia:
"Her red Mazda MPV 1993 van was found in the Chateau Victoria parking lot with almost all her belongings in it, including her passport, library card, digital camera, clothes, a pillow, assorted ornaments, laptop, and recently borrowed library books. It is believed she used the van as storage."

With the timeline, I'm trying to think what happened (my thoughts BBM):

7am: Arrived at Chateau Victoria neighboring parking lot to find van gone (I find the timing too coincidental that her van *just* gets towed the night before or morning of her leaving, what are the odds?)

8:23am: Purchases a pre-paid credit card at 7-11 at this time.

8:30-12pm: Gap in time, where was she?

12:00 noon: May have visited the library around noon, maybe she used the internet at the library to find the location of the tow company to go get her stuff?

12pm-5:54pm: Gap of time, is this is when she went out to the airport?

5:54pm: Emma returns to the same 7-Eleven store and purchases a pre-paid cell phone.

6pm: Staff at shelter sees her leave

6:10pm: Taxi driver with ABC Taxi picks Emma up from the Harbour Air Terminal. Emma tells him to take her to the airport. When he tells her the cost of going to the airport, she asks him to drive her back to where he picked her up from (back to Harbour Air Terminal?)and gets out. We do not know where Emma was planning on flying to.

7-7:45pm: Downtown at Empress speaking with LE
A question I've posed upthread, still not sure of the answer:

We know that her van was towed from Sooke to the Chateau Vic parking lot on November 21st. If her van was then impounded and towed FROM the Chateau Vic lot, which she reportedly discussed with the staff on the morning of the 28th, why was it found back in that lot following her disappearance, and not in the impoundment lot?

Given the timing, I'm thinking the prepaid credit card may be linked to the towing, and getting her van back. Who towed the van back to the Chateau Vic and why does it appear that she didn't have to pay to get it towed back and out of impoundment? Why was the money that could have been meant for that payment apparently thrown away? Was someone trying to hide their connection to her?

The van was ordered towed by staff of Chateau Victoria to an impound lot in Victoria. It was moved to the police department garage for forensic testing and after I was allowed to go through it, it was returned to the impound lot. It was there I packed up all Emma's belongings and placed them in storage.

Shelley

To the person who messaged me privately: I was unable, for some reason, to privately respond to your message. You brought up excellent points and the situation has been thoroughly looked into by Vic police. I am not impressed with the work done by the police department and hope that the PI will discover more answers regarding your content and many other unanswered questions.

Thank you for taking the time to think about the case and highlight an important aspect of the case. It has, as yet, not been resolved to my satisfaction.

Shelley

I agree. I do not believe Emma has disappeared of her own volition unless she has become so ill that she no longer remembers who she is or that her family actually exists. I have seen this happen first hand so not as far fetched as some would want to believe,

Shelley

I don't know what she planned to do with the van after she packed up her belongings and sent them home via bus. This was her plan according to the tow truck driver.

I did respond as SOON as she cancelled me for the third time. The first phone call was on Friday night asking for help to come home - I booked a flight, packed and prepared to leave. The second call, early Saturday was to say she was just having a really bad day and to PLEASE not come. I respected her wishes as Emma is fiercely independent. The third call was once again to ask for me to fly out. I booked a flight etc. but she called before I had left the house. Once again, pleading for me not to come. I had to make a decision and I flew out. Emma was not expecting me as I told her during that last call that I would respect her wishes.

Shelley

Just want to let everyone know that I have read all comments on here and have responded to a few but there are too many to respond to all. I hope Emma's FB page provides answers to some of the questions that were repeatedly brought up. Watching TV interviews, listening to those on radio and reading the articles provided should give those interested most of the answers.
Also, please feel free to message me privately on Emma's FB page or email me at fillipoff@hotmail.com

Shelley

From Wikipedia:
"Her red Mazda MPV 1993 van was found in the Chateau Victoria parking lot with almost all her belongings in it, including her passport, library card, digital camera, clothes, a pillow, assorted ornaments, laptop, and recently borrowed library books. It is believed she used the van as storage."

Thanks eva, I missed that somehow. I wonder if she had more than one camera?

I'm a hobby photographer and photographer lover myself and I have a very expensive digital SLR camera I use for more artistic/professional 'fancy' photos, then I have a point and shoot digital camera for fun stuff, then my iPhone for spontaneous, candid shots. iPhone quality is pretty high and is almost comparable to my expensive camera, but the expensive camera has manual settings for aperature and exposure, etc.

I got the impression that kayak photo of JH looked to be done with a digital SLR, but could have been an iPhone in natural light perhaps.

To the person who messaged me privately: I was unable, for some reason, to privately respond to your message. You brought up excellent points and the situation has been thoroughly looked into by Vic police. I am not impressed with the work done by the police department and hope that the PI will discover more answers regarding your content and many other unanswered questions.

Thank you for taking the time to think about the case and highlight an important aspect of the case. It has, as yet, not been resolved to my satisfaction.

Shelley

Hi Shelley, thank you and glad you got my message, no worry to reply. I'm just glad your PI and police are aware JH was in Victoria on Nov 27th.

I'm wondering if JH was also around the Juan de Fuca Centre, since he liked to visit Sooke River. JDFCentre is on hwy 1A and if you follow 1A it connects right into Hwy14, that leads to Sooke River.

Take care and thanks so much for clarifying details. We'll try our best to come up with new scenarios that may provide any new answers.

re airport trip.....just an ''off'' thought but perhaps she wanted to see someone get on a plane and really leave her alone once and for all....MOO

some days...my brain just doesn't function well:(

Given all the pressure Shelley I think you have the best excuse out of any of us. I sincerely hope for the best in this situation, and with all of the evidence and facts laid out in front of me so far, I would have to agree that searching for her and spreading hope is the best you can do. I can't imagine the anguish, and we will all try our hardest to help provide you with anything helpful.

I know I've looked at tonnes of pictures of this girl and considering I live in the area, I will definitely keep a keen eye out. I can only hope the rest of the city has a good enough idea of what she looks like to do the same.

Praying for your cause and hope she is found safe and sound, and gets any help she needs (if she needs it).

I've been tossing the idea around in my head that perhaps she walked the galloping goose, and perhaps dropped that prepaid card (by accident or left as a breadcrumb?) - There isn't anywhere past that area (after having seen the clip from 5th Estate) that I could surmise would be a good 'camping area'. The trail is very long and passes through a lot of urban areas. I haven't rode past langford before, but I do know that trail ends up way out in Leechtown, and actually crosses Sooke River Road on the way there.

Could she have decided to walk to Sooke in a cool November evening? Is she that type? She seems to have dressed warm that day from the videos? Is she known to hitchhike? Possible she hitchhiked to Port Renfrew if she actually did travel on foot or bus that night on purpose?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back