CANADA Canada - Emma Fillipoff, 26, Victoria BC, 28 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm with you on that one Lala. Bumping for Emma.

Emma doesn't seem to be the spontaneous type, either. Strange, peculiar behaviour prior to her disappearance. Lured? I don't know. Doubtful. This case has gone on so long, that by now surely a body would have been found. There are so many people hiking all areas of the woods here that even remote locations would be visited by SOMEONE in the past years. Staying in a women's shelter seems a definite act of self preservation, knowing that shelters with women and men might harbour more drug-addicted individuals and she seems the type of person who'd shy away from that crowd.

I'm still one of the many baffled by this one.

If a person was struggling with deep depression/mental illness and went to a local ER and as a result was admitted to a psychiatric unit, if they are an adult and express that they don't want any loved one to be notified of their admission, could they not possibly remain a patient without anyone knowing, even law enforcement? I mean, if someone is struggling with profound depression but is clear-headed enough to tell hospital staff that they do not wish to be located by anyone and do not want anyone, even law enforcement, to be made aware of their location/existence, wouldn't hospital staff have to honor this request?....afterall, an adult does have the right to disappear, right?

If a person was struggling with deep depression/mental illness and went to a local ER and as a result was admitted to a psychiatric unit, if they are an adult and express that they don't want any loved one to be notified of their admission, could they not possibly remain a patient without anyone knowing, even law enforcement? I mean, if someone is struggling with profound depression but is clear-headed enough to tell hospital staff that they do not wish to be located by anyone and do not want anyone, even law enforcement, to be made aware of their location/existence, wouldn't hospital staff have to honor this request?....afterall, an adult does have the right to disappear, right?

Hard to say, I wonder the legalities and whether LE trumps patient confidentiality. I'm not sure this would be the case though, jmo, only because I think it's quite rare for those suffering from mental illness to be aware they are sick and know enough to check themselves in. I'd be curious to find out if this happens and how common as it's possible, but I don't know how many people would do this...

Even if she was admitted she would've been discharged at some point. Thanks to the BC government closing down many mental health facilities, many of these sick people are put on the streets without any medical attention or help :(

The BC Missing Persons Act received Royal Assent March 24 2014. Can't locate its current version on the BC gov site because apparently it is underoing some legislative changes. The following is from the March 11 2014 first reading, with reference to access to health records:

https://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov03-1.htm#section5
(c) records containing health information to the extent that the records may indicate that the missing person was recently admitted to a hospital, and if applicable, which hospital and the date and time of, and the reason for, admission;

I do hope Shelley has or will check with LE to ensure they have accessed BC health records for any admissions of Emma.

I just caught a rerun of this on TV and was instantly looking through the threads on here. I mostly just lurk and read up on cases in the news but wanted to comment on this one.

In terms of being admitted to a facility or not wanting to be located, I live in Alberta and I have seen articles come out when someone has been missing to the extent of "they have been located, and there is no need for concern" - so I think if she was in any kind of facility or requested not to be found something of that nature would have come out. Mostly to stop all the news of her being missing and having people constantly reporting where she was, I could be wrong though.

A second thought I had, after seeing a missing girls case from the US was, is it at all possible she could be being trafficked in some way?

While I'm pretty sure LE would have checked health facilities / medical records to the extent they could in 2012, we don't know what confidentiality barriers (hospital, shelters, rehab) they may have encountered prior to the BC Missing Persons Act coming into effect 2 years later. IMO, doesn't hurt to ask if they checked again since 2014.

WRT the possibility of human trafficking .. IMO, it's possible but really we have nothing to indicate one way or another to take us in that direction.

The BC Missing Persons Act received Royal Assent March 24 2014. Can't locate its current version on the BC gov site because apparently it is underoing some legislative changes. The following is from the March 11 2014 first reading, with reference to access to health records:

https://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov03-1.htm#section5

I do hope Shelley has or will check with LE to ensure they have accessed BC health records for any admissions of Emma.

Police have all health institutions "flagged".

Wish I had something, anything, to report but unfortunately no new leads have surfaced.

Maybe now that summer is almost here, and there is greater awareness about Emma's case, some leads might start coming in.
Recently, there was a case of a young man, James Scott Walton, who went missing 25 yrs ago, who was revealed to have been living all those years under an assumed name.
Maybe Emma is doing the same thing?
Thread fwiw..

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?280819-James-Scott-Walton-disappeared-25-yrs-ago

I did ask if she had any aliases or nicknames at all to help us sleuth.. don't think anyone had any or found any yet. Could be helpful.

I'm new to the forum..
but this is a case I have found very intriguing for a while.

The more and more I read on this, the more I believe she had a mental breakdown of sorts & disappeared of her own accord. Perhaps she was lost after the break and didn't know who she was? Or maybe she just simply didn't want to come home. The reports of her being a junkie now is plausible, because people in the folds of a hard addiction (such as that of heroin) become shells of themselves with no motivation or ambition to pull themselves back out. Another theory I find very plausible is that she was being stalked or harassed, and eventually was kidnapped and trafficked.

Regardless, she seems to be a beautiful woman with a beautiful soul. I hope her family has answers soon <3

Welcome to WS StoriaThyme. Glad you are following Emma's case and the discussion here at Websleuths.

:welcome:

Re the "reports of her being a junkie", not sure I've read that anywhere in this thread. Do we have an MSM link to support that info or is that an impression/opinion that you have? Thanks.

Welcome to WS StoriaThyme. Glad you are following Emma's case and the discussion here at Websleuths.

:welcome:

Re the "reports of her being a junkie", not sure I've read that anywhere in this thread. Do we have an MSM link to support that info or is that an impression/opinion that you have? Thanks.

John Blackrupert posted ad nauseam on the fb page about Emma being a junkie in the DTES. Said he saw her several times over the course of several months. Changed his username to Joe Blow and then conveniently disappeared. Claims to have been friends with Verna Simard who lived at the Regent Hotel and died of a 'fall' from the 6th floor. That did happen. Whether his Emma sightings are true is anybody's guess.

John Blackrupert posted ad nauseam on the fb page about Emma being a junkie in the DTES. Said he saw her several times over the course of several months. Changed his username to Joe Blow and then conveniently disappeared. Claims to have been friends with Verna Simard who lived at the Regent Hotel and died of a 'fall' from the 6th floor. That did happen. Whether his Emma sightings are true is anybody's guess.

I hope the P.I. is going back to DTES at least a few times. I think getting to know those that live there and people involved in that community would help if a repoire is developed. I think Shelley's been there a couple times too hasn't she? I mean, if Emma is there it's not like she's running around telling everyone she meets 'don't tell anyone I'm here', I think that'd be doubtful and difficult.

It be tempting to check out places around there that are regular hangouts or places people go to get smokes or coffee or whatever. If she is in the DTES she can be found, I bet it's a small world down there. I got the impression it's a small world when I'd walk through there often when I live in Van. It's just meeting that right person who might know exactly where she is!

I keep wondering about Emma. Shelly, if you don't want to read any conjecture, please pass by this post, but I will not be unkind.

She is so pretty, but I do not think that she would be susceptible of the sort of grooming for sexual trafficking. I don't know, but she seems to be the sort of gal to have a very strong will.
I have not seen any evidence to suggest that she was using the sort of drugs that could kill her and/or compel associates to dispose of her.
I tend to think that short of some sort of traumatic break that she would have contacted someone she knew before taking any irreversible action, but one never knows.
Aside from all of the above, and I can't justify this at all, I somehow think that, from all that I've learned, Emma was such a nice gal that she could not have incited anyone to kill her. Perhaps I'm (or we're) missing some piece of the puzzle here -- and it's not that for one moment I am suggesting that Emma has called this upon herself -- but I can't help but think we're all missing something.

So in the last couple weeks just to update on the Victoria BC scene, an elderly man's body was found in Beacon Hill Park which was believed to be a medical issue, and more recently (today) some human remains were discovered which could be related to be a missing individual by the name of Dana McKellar on a Prospect Lake Rd property.

No idea how long the 86 year old was missing, but bodies have been discovered in Beacon Hill Park before, too and sometimes it takes at least a few weeks for someone to come across the remains.

The park is not that large, maybe the same area as a large shopping center.

I'm from Campbell River and travel around the Island sometimes. My best friend lives in Victoria. My step son lives in the DTES. We all have our eyes open looking at all the faces to see if one is Emma. You have captured our hearts Emma. Someone will find you.

:wagon:
I'm from Campbell River and travel around the Island sometimes. My best friend lives in Victoria. My step son lives in the DTES. We all have our eyes open looking at all the faces to see if one is Emma. You have captured our hearts Emma. Someone will find you.

:wagon:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie