Found Deceased Canada - George Scott Cushnie, 80, AKA "Professor Piano" (legally blind), Toronto, 7 August 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reminder, There is a search organized at River and King, 585 King St E., 11 am. this morning

Friends fear for Toronto musician George Scott Cushnie, missing since early August | The Star
"He played piano with Aerosmith. He worked the club circuit for years as “Professor Piano.” He was involved with many legendary bands.

Friends and colleagues in the city’s music community are hoping the public can help find Toronto musician George Scott Cushnie, who hasn’t been seen by anyone for a month, not since the night a rainstorm devastated the city."

cushnie_file.jpg

"A small search party will canvas the neighbourhood Tuesday, Reid said, to look for security footage or people who might have seen him leave."

Last edited:
Mr. Cushnie lives in a high crime area: Crime Maps | CBC Toronto

He was last seen trying to get in to his residence at 11:55 at night, unsuccessfully. (The fact he attempted to use a fob and there was no other way to alert for assistance should be, IMO, pursued further by his family. Outrageous for a senior facility). He reportedly had come from a local drugstore(?). I see two within short distance of River & King.

This disappearance does not seem to be a mystery to me. An 80 year old man goes out late at night to the drug store and walks back home in a high crime district. He was most likely robbed, and perhaps he was hidden and yet to be found. However, the contradictory point is that I would think a druggie doing a quick hit would leave the victim where they found them?

Regardless, this seems like the most likely scenario to me.
Again, if I were the family, I would be beyond livid that my loved one, an 80 year old, was unable to get in to his residence.

Unrelated missing man, but noting here because he is also 6 feet tall with white hair, last seen in the Queen and Bathurst area.
Cannot help but wonder if people might spot one of the men in the distance and mistake him for the other missing man.
Hope that made sense!
imo, speculation.
CANADA - David Fitzgerald, 55, Toronto, 21 July 2018
What an interesting find. Two 6 foot, white haired men go missing in relatively the same area. Not sure what to make of this, but it's extremely interesting...

He was last seen trying to get in to his residence at 11:55 at night, unsuccessfully. (The fact he attempted to use a fob and there was no other way to alert for assistance should be, IMO, pursued further by his family. Outrageous for a senior facility). He reportedly had come from a local drugstore(?). I see two within short distance of River & King.

This disappearance does not seem to be a mystery to me. An 80 year old man goes out late at night to the drug store and walks back home in a high crime district. He was most likely robbed, and perhaps he was hidden and yet to be found. However, the contradictory point is that I would think a druggie doing a quick hit would leave the victim where they found them?

Again, if I were the family, I would be beyond livid that my loved one, an 80 year old, was unable to get in to his residence.
TIMELINE Tues August 7th– this was the day Toronto had a big rain storm 3:23pm– Scott makes a purchase at Shoppers Drug Mart at CARLAW and Queen. He is seen on their security camera wearing tan pants and his light ‘Butter’ yellow jacket This was Scott’s last purchase with his debit card.

TIMELINE Tues August 7th– this was the day Toronto had a big rain storm 3:23pm– Scott makes a purchase at Shoppers Drug Mart at CARLAW and Queen. He is seen on their security camera wearing tan pants and his light ‘Butter’ yellow jacket This was Scott’s last purchase with his debit card.
Thank you Jasper52 for this clarifying post.
I wonder what he was doing out so late? I remember reading he found it easier to navigate at night due to his eyesight, due to glare or something like that. I also wonder if someone called him outside, and in a powerful storm. I would hope his phone records have already been scoured. He had to have a very good reason to go outside during a storm.

New article..
Friends of renowned musician 'Professor Piano' searching for new clues in his disappearance | CBC News
"Scott Cushnie is legally blind, but was known to take long nighttime walks around Toronto"
scott-cushnie.jpg

Friends say Scott Cushnie, 80, isn't known to have dementia or other health issues and they can't figure out where he might be. (Facebook)

"People searching for him say Cushnie would often walk around the city at night, sometimes wandering into 24 hour restaurants or to see friends.

"He was a nighthawk, he was a musician, so it was really common for him to go out at night and go for long walks," said Andrea Reid, a friend and former student of Cushnie's.

She was part of a group putting up posters and looking for surveillance footage in the area Cushnie was last seen."

"He's an adventurous guy for somebody that doesn't see very well," said Terry Murphy, a friend and fellow musician. "He gets around pretty good so he could be in a lot of different places."

"Cushnie has gone missing or gotten lost a few times before, Murphy said — the longest disappearance lasting about 48 hours.

"Maybe this has a kooky, happy ending," Reid added. "If anyone could do it, it would be Scott."

'Maybe this has a happy ending'
Murphy first met Cushnie when the pianist crashed into him while inline skating on a sidewalk.

He's hoping that Cushnie's gregarious and sometimes befuddling behaviour means that someone in the city will have remembered seeing him that night.

"If he's around somewhere, he's talking to somebody," Murphy said.

he was denied entry to the 'common room' - I didn't take that to mean the residence in general but now I think we need clarification

Please, let me clarify....reporter's just seem to have a way of messing up the simplest things...I appreciate all the "thinking out loud" but Scott's very dear to me and I'm going out of my mind. I will encourage anything.....even jumping on to a forum like this because we have so few options...Scott is blind, although that is not necessarily relevant to the story. He has no problem getting around. as for the FOB....it was used inside the building Scott was NOT locked out. He is an independent man. He can come and go as he pleases. As far as we know, Scott last used the FOB at 11:55pm on Tues Aug 7 2018..in the building to access the common room, where they have a piano..The room is not accessible after 10:00 pm but his attempt was documented...It's presumed he went out at that time as he liked to go out late but we have no proof of anything....Here is the puzzle......DID he leave the building? If he did, which direction did he go. Security video in the building was deleted before we found out he was missing. It gets deleted every 2 weeks. None of his friends or family knew he was missing for 3 weeks or more....I don't live in the city anymore and I found out on the 29th...We have been frantically trying to find security footage from anywhere in the area for the night of Aug 7 into Aug 8 to determine which direction Scott went.....so far we have not had any luck but I am willing to participate on here because I have limited choices. I live in a different city and most of what I am doing to help at this point is online.....contacting local businesses and communities in the area to find out if any footage is out there. If you wish to help, I would be happy for any ideas but I will try to keep you from getting led astray by inaccurate data.....The police were supposed to go back to the building today to go door to door but I don't know if they did, yet. Scott also left his wallet, id etc in his apartment....

Terry, so glad you are here, and thanks for keeping us reality based.
I'm going to offer two other suggestions, and neither are pleasant; apologies in advance.
He may be unidentified/deceased, and word hasn't gotten around yet. If you haven't already, please check with local hospitals and the coroner. Unidentified records get screwed up frequently. He could also be in a health care facility unconscious. One would think with the local publicity this couldn't be the case, but really, it happens.

I will continue to dwell and see if I can come up with any rational suggestions.
Ah - one other thought. Have any of his students been questioned?

P.S. I hope to be so cool when I'm 80. : )

Terry, so glad you are here, and thanks for keeping us reality based.
I'm going to offer two other suggestions, and neither are pleasant; apologies in advance.
He may be unidentified/deceased, and word hasn't gotten around yet. If you haven't already, please check with local hospitals and the coroner. Unidentified records get screwed up frequently. He could also be in a health care facility unconscious. One would think with the local publicity this couldn't be the case, but really, it happens.

I will continue to dwell and see if I can come up with any rational suggestions.
Ah - one other thought. Have any of his students been questioned?

P.S. I hope to be so cool when I'm 80. : )

Scott is the coolest guy I know and I know a lot of cool folks...the hospitals and coroners are all areas that sadly we have had to explore. Nothing has happened in that regard. We are still presuming another explanation is possible but, of course.....analytical minds such as the ones on here would have nothing less....I know Scott didn't just vapourize..... He is a creature of habit, true......he likes a late night walk, even in crazy weather, if he's hungry! Thing is......assume he comes out his front door.....look at the weather.....there is tons of video to indicate what it was like that night....It's Tuesday, near mid-nite and your hungry......if you go right.....you are going over the bridge but there are lots of nice places that way that are open late.....if you go straight up River St....there isn't much, maybe a store like a 7 11.....if you go left there are a couple of choices but less variety, not opened as late and heading into the flash flood areas in the downtown core....Scott likes to have the news on....so I expect he would have known what was going on outside....thing is.....we can't prove which direction he went....technically we can't even say that he left the building as there is no way to track that. The building has been searched....I spoke to employees there.....no locked areas or anything like that....The only path I know to pursue is to try to find video that indicates which way he went....if you were me....where would you look....I have been relentlessly pursuing all the businesses, schools, churches.....anyone that might still have security footage from a month ago that can show where he was or even where he wasn't as that would narrow the field a little.... if someone has an idea, I'm listening... Scott and I have been friends for nearly 30 years.....ever since he ran me over on his roller blades at 3 AM......that's how I found out three things.....he was blind, he played the piano and he lived 3 houses away from me....the next morning we went to breakfast for the first of many, many times.... The story can't just go poof and end!!! Oh, and no students....he doesn't do that stuff....hasn't for years....

Last edited:
Scott is the coolest guy I know and I know a lot of cool folks...the hospitals and coroners are all areas that sadly we have had to explore. Nothing has happened in that regard. We are still presuming another explanation is possible but, of course.....analytical minds such as the ones on here would have nothing less....I know Scott didn't just vapourize..... He is a creature of habit, true......he likes a late night walk, even in crazy weather, if he's hungry! Thing is......assume he comes out his front door.....look at the weather.....there is tons of video to indicate what it was like that night....It's Tuesday, near mid-nite and your hungry......if you go right.....you are going over the bridge but there are lots of nice places that way that are open late.....if you go straight up River St....there isn't much, maybe a store like a 7 11.....if you go left there are a couple of choices but less variety, not opened as late and heading into the flash flood areas in the downtown core....Scott likes to have the news on....so I expect he would have known what was going on outside....thing is.....we can't prove which direction he went....technically we can't even say that he left the building as there is no way to track that. The building has been searched....I spoke to employees there.....no locked areas or anything like that....The only path I know to pursue is to try to find video that indicates which way he went....if you were me....where would you look....I have been relentlessly pursuing all the businesses, schools, churches.....anyone that might still have security footage from a month ago that can show where he was or even where he wasn't as that would narrow the field a little.... if someone has an idea, I'm listening... Scott and I have been friends for nearly 30 years.....ever since he ran me over on his roller blades at 3 AM......that's how I found out three things.....he was blind, he played the piano and he lived 3 houses away from me....the next morning we went to breakfast for the first of many, many times.... The story can't just go poof and end!!! Oh, and no students....he doesn't do that stuff....hasn't for years....
I'm so glad to have you here, Terry, and you've already been very helpful. I'm also very glad to have Mr. Cushnie's disappearance getting publicity.

Do you know where Scott always carried his FOB? I'm not sure what it looks like, if it's like a debit card or hotel card key. If he always kept it in his wallet, and his wallet was found at his home, my first take is that he had a desire to play piano when he tried to enter the common room. Maybe he didn't realize just how late it was. I'm simply wondering because that could at least give a small hint as to whether he returned to his home, left his wallet there, and then vanished after that.

Or, was in the habit of not carrying his wallet around? If he tried to enter the common room, then decided to just go out for a walk, he wouldn't need his wallet. If he decided to go get something to eat, I'd think he definitely would have taken his wallet..

You've done a great job so far trying to find surveillance footage. What about city traffic cams? How long do they keep footage? I feel an affinity for your friend, for a number of reasons, and still hope and pray for the best.

Terry - my thoughts at the moment in response to your post.
First, you are obviously a great friend. I would hope to have such a great friend as you if I ever was in a situation like this.
*The bridge you mention he would walk over to get to the good eateries. Is that an overpass type of bridge, or is there water under it? Is there anywhere likely he could have stumbled over?
*Have you talked to the street folk? They know what's going on, and would most likely know if your friend met with trouble. Many won't talk, but might be coaxed over food and drink, and with some incentive. ($).
*Local shelters - another good source for info. Again, expect reticence, but will ultimate provide info if you give them time to trust you. They are afraid of being implicated and being involved with the law.
*Pawn shops - if your friend had anything on him of any value at all it may be found in a local pawn shop. (Watch, ring?) This, of course, would be a very ominous sign. But I would pursue this.
*Was anything notable missing from his home?
*Would anyone stand to benefit significantly from his death?
*Continue to check with the hospitals/coroners. They are terrible about record keeping and people are overlooked or mislabeled all the time. He could very well be alive in a hospital somewhere, unknown and unclaimed.
*Tracker dog - It's been quite awhile and it's rained, but I would still consult with a tracker with dog to see if they think it's possible to pick up a trail.
*I would ask law enforcement if they have used luminal in your friend's apartment to determine if there was a crime scene clean up
*I would want law enforcement to interview relatives and associates who would stand to financially benefit from your friend's passing and see if they trigger suspicion that would merit deeper investigation

And as a fringe theory wild card, I would check the airlines and cruise ships to see if he is on some extended trip that he might have decided will be his last big hurrah. We can only hope.
Surrounding you and your concerned friends with peace and love.
I'll keep brainstorming.

I'm so glad to have you here, Terry, and you've already been very helpful. I'm also very glad to have Mr. Cushnie's disappearance getting publicity.

Do you know where Scott always carried his FOB? I'm not sure what it looks like, if it's like a debit card or hotel card key. If he always kept it in his wallet, and his wallet was found at his home, my first take is that he had a desire to play piano when he tried to enter the common room. Maybe he didn't realize just how late it was. I'm simply wondering because that could at least give a small hint as to whether he returned to his home, left his wallet there, and then vanished after that.

Or, was in the habit of not carrying his wallet around? If he tried to enter the common room, then decided to just go out for a walk, he wouldn't need his wallet. If he decided to go get something to eat, I'd think he definitely would have taken his wallet..

You've done a great job so far trying to find surveillance footage. What about city traffic cams? How long do they keep footage? I feel an affinity for your friend, for a number of reasons, and still hope and pray for the best.

The nearest traffic cams are Parliament and Richmond, Jarvis and King St East and Jarvis and Lower Esplanade......so yes, re: traffic cams
fob is awol.....piano didn't get played much by Scott or other players in the building. Scott has his own to play in his apartment. He would certainly misplace his wallet from time to time. Been a while since I'd seen him but he usually had it in his man bag...as I understand it both were still in apt....I appreciate the speculation even if it is troubling to ponder.....I need a a diversion to help recalibrate.....

not as great a friend as I would like. We have lived in different cities for a few years and I hadn't been in contact for a while....I can feel guilty about that later, tho....yes, bridge is an overpass type and the Don River would have been problematic that night, to say the least. I've walked over the bridge several times in the last week and a half and there are no spots that he could have stumbled. Was not in his character to be a jumper so presumably a very heavy wind would have to blow him over and that seems very unlikely to me...Scott's in better shape than I am!!! Yes, we have reached out to folks on the street while circulating posters and shelters and hostels have been contacted. I have worked at several of them in the past and contacted staffers directly.
As for cruise ships and out of country travel, he would have needed passport etc...He wouldn't have those things without planning. Missing jewelry or pawn shop type items would be a no.....The few things of value Scott has are more of the sentimental type....as for big inheritance or folks to gain from his demise....nothing there, either...

due to the time that transpired before anyone was aware that Scott was missing, we have nothing really to go on....He's a character.....if he had interacted with any body or any business that night somebody would remember. They would remember they way he looks with his hat and shades at midnite, they would remember his stories which he told a lot.....as he has plenty of them to tell...with all the media attention, I would expect a response....so far, still crickets....I heard a door to door was planned....no idea if has been done yet or if anything has or will come of it.....there are about 80 apartments....Thanks for caring.

Terry - my thoughts at the moment in response to your post.
First, you are obviously a great friend. I would hope to have such a great friend as you if I ever was in a situation like this.
*The bridge you mention he would walk over to get to the good eateries. Is that an overpass type of bridge, or is there water under it? Is there anywhere likely he could have stumbled over?
*Have you talked to the street folk? They know what's going on, and would most likely know if your friend met with trouble. Many won't talk, but might be coaxed over food and drink, and with some incentive. ($).
*Local shelters - another good source for info. Again, expect reticence, but will ultimate provide info if you give them time to trust you. They are afraid of being implicated and being involved with the law.
*Pawn shops - if your friend had anything on him of any value at all it may be found in a local pawn shop. (Watch, ring?) This, of course, would be a very ominous sign. But I would pursue this.
*Was anything notable missing from his home?
*Would anyone stand to benefit significantly from his death?
*Continue to check with the hospitals/coroners. They are terrible about record keeping and people are overlooked or mislabeled all the time. He could very well be alive in a hospital somewhere, unknown and unclaimed.
*Tracker dog - It's been quite awhile and it's rained, but I would still consult with a tracker with dog to see if they think it's possible to pick up a trail.
*I would ask law enforcement if they have used luminal in your friend's apartment to determine if there was a crime scene clean up
*I would want law enforcement to interview relatives and associates who would stand to financially benefit from your friend's passing and see if they trigger suspicion that would merit deeper investigation

And as a fringe theory wild card, I would check the airlines and cruise ships to see if he is on some extended trip that he might have decided will be his last big hurrah. We can only hope.
Surrounding you and your concerned friends with peace and love.
I'll keep brainstorming.

Today's article from Global News:

Toronto musician Scott Cushnie, 80, missing for over a month

“His Meals on Wheels hadn’t been cancelled, and he was very good about doing that if he went anywhere, and his wallet and most of his personal effects were still in the apartment. The only thing that we know that he has is a light, sort of mustard yellow windbreaker on and I would assume his house keys are in the pocket.”

cushnie.png

Terry,

Does anyone know if Scott has a medical appointment just before he vanished, or had been talking about ill health? He had been at the pharmacy earlier in the day. A prescription that he didn’t react well to? He had an illness and quietly went on his way?

The bridge is still a big question in my mind. Unfortunately there are all too many missing case stories of men and water. I encourage a continued focus there, as a suggestion. Hope I’m wrong.

As long as Scott hasn’t been found, you are right to assume he is alive and to keep searching. One thing is for sure, is there are predictive statistical outcomes with missing people, and then there is a sort of inexplicable quantum factor. Given your portrayal of Scott, I’m going to hold out hope.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michelemelton03
Back