Found Deceased Canada - George Scott Cushnie, 80, AKA "Professor Piano" (legally blind), Toronto, 7 August 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PROFESSOR PIANO IS MISSING - Zoomer Radio AM740
Concern is mounting in Toronto for a storied pianist who has played with the likes of Ronnie Hawkins and Robbie Robertson and who hasn’t been seen or heard from in weeks.

Professor-Piano.jpg

Scott Cushnie is better known to Toronto audiences as Professor Piano. The 80-year old was reported missing August 29th, but hasn’t been seen since August 7th.

Cushnie played in the “Rockin’ Deltoids featuring Professor Piano” from 1979 into the 90s which eventually morphed into the swing jump band the Canadian Aces (with the Honolulu Heart Breakers).

He’s described as six feet tall, with short, grey hair and a medium build. He’s legally blind and wears dark glasses and was last seen not far from his home in the King Street East – River Street area of Toronto.

I wonder if he went for a walk and was accosted and when he didn't have any valuables, they hurt him. Did he normally leave his wallet at home when he went out late at night? He clearly had no intention of buying food, unless he just shoved cash in his pocket?

I wonder if he went for a walk and was accosted and when he didn't have any valuables, they hurt him. Did he normally leave his wallet at home when he went out late at night? He clearly had no intention of buying food, unless he just shoved cash in his pocket?
And this is what doesn't make sense to me. Apparently, there was a massive storm that night. I would think (?) that everyone would be hunkered down. I know Scott has been described as unique and and enjoyed walking about...but on a night where there is a massive storm? Doesn't add up.

I will offer this for clarity as I have no idea where LE folks are at in this investigation....power failure at 9:30 pm on evening of Aug 7 restored 4:30 pm on Aug 8th is what I can best glean from Toronto Hydro tweets...as for all the fob stuff....these things are used to access common areas like the room with piano and laundry room., also, of course entering the building, ..the apartment doors just use normal keys...the fob does not record exiting the building....building would had generator powering security, emergency lights, I presume and elevators. As this information is publicly available and can be viewed by people dear to Scott, that are not part of this forum, including myself, please be respectful.....we all want to just get Scott home safe and sound. I thank you all for your continued kindness and appreciate that you are keeping the discussion going.

I will offer this for clarity as I have no idea where LE folks are at in this investigation....power failure at 9:30 pm on evening of Aug 7 restored 4:30 pm on Aug 8th is what I can best glean from Toronto Hydro tweets...as for all the fob stuff....these things are used to access common areas like the room with piano and laundry room., also, of course entering the building, ..the apartment doors just use normal keys...the fob does not record exiting the building....building would had generator powering security, emergency lights, I presume and elevators. As this information is publicly available and can be viewed by people dear to Scott, that are not part of this forum, including myself, please be respectful.....we all want to just get Scott home safe and sound. I thank you all for your continued kindness and appreciate that you are keeping the discussion going.
Thanks for that information, hoping our posts here have been respectful.
In the meantime, respectfully posting this slightly off topic link because it is cheerful and optimistic.
Two elderly men went missing. They were found rocking out at the world’s biggest heavy metal festival
old_men_rock.png

Hordes of headbangers amassed in Germany for the world’s largest heavy metal festival — among them, two elderly men who apparently left their retirement home to rock out, police said".

Last edited:
In the meantime, respectfully posting this slightly off topic link because it is cheerful and optimistic.
Two elderly men went missing. They were found rocking out at the world’s biggest heavy metal festival
old_men_rock.png

Hordes of headbangers amassed in Germany for the world’s largest heavy metal festival — among them, two elderly men who apparently left their retirement home to rock out, police said".
Thanks Dotr! I love this a million times over!

old_men_rock.png

That is the first thing that has made me laff in several weeks, I may have peed, just a little! I don't believe the posts have been disrespectful just important to be cognizant of the possibility that Scott's family may read this stuff without joining the group.

That is the first thing that has made me laff in several weeks, I may have peed, just a little! I don't believe the posts have been disrespectful just important to be cognizant of the possibility that Scott's family may read this stuff without joining the group.
Terry, do you know if LE and/or friends were able to complete a door to door inquiry in Scott's residential building yet?

Terry, do you know if LE and/or friends were able to complete a door to door inquiry in Scott's residential building yet?
They had done so at the beginning and I understood they would return again but I dont know if they ever did the second time. I still dont see any proof that he left the building that nite...so Im as puzzled as anyone else. He is a very distinctive looking guy and this was a very particular night weather wise....the story has been getting a lot of visibilty and we have reached out significantly in the community....nobody seeing him going outside, nobody seeing him outside and his bag being in the apartment just makes no sense to me...the building has a kind of lounging area in the front by king st...it has several couches and places to sit.....the power goes out at 9 30 ostensibly for 19 hrs...does everyone stay in their apartments for 19 hrs? Im told folks will socialize there as well as the common room where the piano is...wouldnt someone in the building potentially be down there at 11 55 pm....if I had hair I would be pulling it out about now...

They had done so at the beginning and I understood they would return again but I dont know if they ever did the second time. I still dont see any proof that he left the building that nite...so Im as puzzled as anyone else. He is a very distinctive looking guy and this was a very particular night weather wise....the story has been getting a lot of visibilty and we have reached out significantly in the community....nobody seeing him going outside, nobody seeing him outside and his bag being in the apartment just makes no sense to me...the building has a kind of lounging area in the front by king st...it has several couches and places to sit.....the power goes out at 9 30 ostensibly for 19 hrs...does everyone stay in their apartments for 19 hrs? Im told folks will socialize there as well as the common room where the piano is...wouldnt someone in the building potentially be down there at 11 55 pm....if I had hair I would be pulling it out about now...
Question and comment for Terry.
The bag you mention left in the apartment. Did he routinely take that bag with him when he went outside?

You have mentioned a couple times you can't account for him going outside. I'm going to focus in on that and suggest the residential living place be searched again with a fine tooth comb. Attic, basement, with dog and luminal.

The bag you mention left in the apartment. Did he routinely take that bag with him when he went outside?

You have mentioned a couple times you can't account for him going outside. I'm going to focus in on that and suggest the residential living place be searched again with a fine tooth comb. Attic, basement, with dog and luminal.
Agree with those suggestions and adding..
Stairwell, lockers, fire escape, garage( if there is one) check inside cars there and any that might be parked for extended time outside the building.
Cupboards, balconies ( if they have them) behind closed doors if clothing ect is hanging from hooks, under beds, inside large music cases, and believe it or not, some have been found within an incinerator chute.
Does the building have an elevator, if so maybe it stopped during power outage- if so- does it have an escape latch on the ceiling, check that and the roof.
Also, check the maintenance room and behind the building's furnace/ air conditioning unit. Laundry room.
Look behind heavy curtains. imo, speculation.

Last edited:

The bag is an over the shoulder type of thing....he would carry his wallet phone book etc...in it...on lots of occasions he might forget to put something in the bag, like his wallet or phone book....but to go outside on a crappy nite like that without it wouldnt make me think he was going for a walk to find a restaurant...

I appreciate what you are saying about a fine tooth comb and if I were leading the investigation, I would most certainly want to follow up, if for no reason but to eliminate this as a possibilty but the cops have budgets and priorities that I'm not privy to....we are pretty low on the list, I think.....I pray that I am wrong, of course.

Agree with those suggestions and adding..
Stairwell, lockers, fire escape, garage( if there is one) check inside cars there and any that might be parked for extended time outside the building.
Cupboards, balconies ( if they have them) behind closed doors if clothing ect is hanging from hooks, under beds, inside large music cases, and believe it or not, some have been found within an incinerator chute.
Does the building have an elevator, if so maybe it stopped during power outage- if so- does it have an escape latch on the ceiling, check that and the roof.
Also, check the maintenance room and behind the building's furnace/ air conditioning unit. Laundry room.
Look behind heavy curtains. imo, speculation.
Of course, I agree with all of these suggestions and wish that I had the influence that would be necessary to insist the police follow through with these steps...

Of course, I agree with all of these suggestions and wish that I had the influence that would be necessary to insist the police follow through with these steps...
Terry,

A humble suggestion. In this case, the media is your best friend. Have them do a follow up and interview LE with these very questions. Your friend is a local treasure, and his disappearance is interesting and newsworthy. The media can help elevate focus and response. Send an email directly to the reporter who wrote the last update. Polite persistence pays off. A little polite pushiness doesn’t hurt either.

I am not sure if you are a rose or an angel but I thank you....the decision to push back with media is not my call alone but I have certainly been advocating for this...
Terry,

A humble suggestion. In this case, the media is your best friend. Have them do a follow up and interview LE with these very questions. Your friend is a local treasure, and his disappearance is interesting and newsworthy. The media can help elevate focus and response. Send an email directly to the reporter who wrote the last update. Polite persistence pays off. A little polite pushiness doesn’t hurt either.

I am not sure if you are a rose or an angel but I thank you....the decision to push back with media is not my call alone but I have certainly been advocating for this...
: )
It works Terry. If you can, go meet with the reporter in person. Talk about Terry and get them invested in the outcome. They can be of great help. I have another idea but will hold off for now while you work on this angle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NurseInvestigator
Back