CANADA Canada - Janis Ozollapa, 50, Oakville, Ont, 30 Sept 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't say that JO used to live in Tottenham.... I was agreeing with you that it was very strange for someone to have a business and yet the public is unable to find one shred of advertising for that business.. and further... (BBM):

JO's company name was reported as being 'Oak Leaf Renovations'.

I couldn't find anything online regarding that business either (which is pretty odd, isn't it??), however i did find these listings on kijiji for 'OakLeaf Carpentry', located in tottenham, which is only less than half an hour's drive from Orangeville, where JO and his wife reportedly moved from only months before his disappearance.

The company 'Oak Leaf Renovations' seen on kijiji as above also has a FB page, showing a lot of photos of the company's work. The FB page has been posting since sometime in 2013. It doesn't appear to be related to JO's business, however it's odd to have such a similar name within such close proximity, basically running the same type of business, MOO.

So I'm still finding this to be very peculiar... IF in fact JO used to do the same type of work and business when he lived in Orangeville, as he was doing when he went missing. I'm finding it peculiar that JO's business would have such a similar 'business name' to another same-type-of-business, who also advertises renovations to be performed in the same city (Orangeville) and surrounding area of where JO apparently used to live. The other fellow has been operating since 2013. JO disappeared on September 30, 2014. I also have to admit that I find it peculiar in regard to the *other*, similarly-named business, given all of the credentials he publicizes, and considering all of the photos he has posted of peoples' homes, that the other fellow only discloses his first-name, and not his last-name. If one is trying to establish and grow a business, and obviously it is associated with a 'person' who actually does the work, one might suppose the person would want his full-name to be known?

I understand that businesses often will have same or similar names, however, when the businesses are so close in proximity, and when the businesses are doing the exact same thing, and when the one's business seems to be operating in the same general area as where JO lived prior to moving to Halton... it all just seems odd. It *seems* like this Josh fellow who is the owner of 'OakLeaf Carpentry' is trying to do all the right things.. like holding insurance, being WSIB certified, and having obtained his red seal certificate.. so one might wonder why he would choose a name SO similar to another business doing same thing in same area. If he had obtained any type of business counselling at all, tht would have been one of the first things they would have advised against.. not only for confusion reasons, but also for potential future liability reasons.

Do we know when it was that JO and his wife, whether she is Patricia Rose, or Patricia Harris, or Patricia Ozollapa, moved to Halton, and why? Do we know what JO did for a living prior to moving to Halton? If one has an established business that is mostly based on that one individual owner's hands-on participation and daily work, why would one move 2 hours away? Wouldn't that be like starting all over again with the business?

Just thinking out loud.

deugirtni, where'd you see that JO used to live in Tottenham? I can't find anything on it. Thanks !!

Sorry, I get way too wordy, and I'm sure people then can't be bothered reading what I write!

So with the above.. I was saying.. JO reportedly moved from Orangeville only a few months prior to disappearing. Orangeville is within half an hour of Tottenham. A fellow in Tottenham has the same type of business, with almost the same business name, and in fact he advertises that he does work in Orangeville. That fellow's OakLeaf business has been on FB since fall 2013.

Makes me wonder... did JO start up HIS own OakLeaf same-type-of-business AFTER the other fellow, and is that why the couple moved, because the other, first, OakLeaf business had issues with another almost-same-name business setting up shop in his area? Or was it the other way around?

Also, I have NO idea who the fellow is who owns the *other* OakLeaf business, or IF that is a picture of himself on one of his many FB reno photos.. but if it IS him pictured there, he has, imho, a similar ethnic type of appearance that JO has. Are they both Latvians?

That is really peculiar (I think??) that his FB got hacked.. some one reported it to police, and his wife then said this in response:

" Thanks everyone for the notifications and all the text messages. The cops are still one step ahead and they're on top of this. I love you all for being so vigilant.
February 12 at 4:22pm · "

It's good to know the cops are one step ahead at least!

Yes, I found it odd. It was just spam, but it could also indicate that someone has his phone---and there was discussion of not being able to locate it.

Sorry, I get way too wordy, and I'm sure people then can't be bothered reading what I write!

So with the above.. I was saying.. JO reportedly moved from Orangeville only a few months prior to disappearing. Orangeville is within half an hour of Tottenham. A fellow in Tottenham has the same type of business, with almost the same business name, and in fact he advertises that he does work in Orangeville. That fellow's OakLeaf business has been on FB since fall 2013.

Makes me wonder... did JO start up HIS own OakLeaf same-type-of-business AFTER the other fellow, and is that why the couple moved, because the other, first, OakLeaf business had issues with another almost-same-name business setting up shop in his area? Or was it the other way around?

Also, I have NO idea who the fellow is who owns the *other* OakLeaf business, or IF that is a picture of himself on one of his many FB reno photos.. but if it IS him pictured there, he has, imho, a similar ethnic type of appearance that JO has. Are they both Latvians?

His last name is definitely not Latvian, you can also find it by checking out some comments on the FB photos. His FB name is his last name as two names.

1. Not accusing anyone of anything, but apparently in the reno business it's not uncommon for bogus companies to pilfer other businesses' names and web sites.

2. The oak leaf to Latvia is pretty much what the maple leaf is to Canada. But as someone already observed, the other business owner definitely does not have a Latvian name.

That is really peculiar (I think??) that his FB got hacked.. some one reported it to police, and his wife then said this in response:

" Thanks everyone for the notifications and all the text messages. The cops are still one step ahead and they're on top of this. I love you all for being so vigilant.
February 12 at 4:22pm · "

It's good to know the cops are one step ahead at least!
At first one would have expected his FB page to be taken down, but no doubt it's still up as part of the investigation.

I wonder which OakLeaf business was first, JO's or the other fellow's? And *does* Ozollapa mean 'oak leaf' in Latvian? For our own people (Canadian born), I could see naming your company 'Oak Leaf', just because we have Oak trees and etc... like Sunflower Designs, or whatever. Seems weird that one has all kinds of promo and photos going on, while the other has zilch.

Would love to know more details, like.. how JO got that job he was working on when he disappeared, whether those people had paid any monies yet, and when, etc., and how he was supporting his family without putting up a FB or website or advertising? I wonder if that job was finished, or paid for, or if someone else had to be hired to finish it?

1. Not accusing anyone of anything, but apparently in the reno business it's not uncommon for bogus companies to pilfer other businesses' names and web sites.

2. The oak leaf to Latvia is pretty much what the maple leaf is to Canada. But as someone already observed, the other business owner definitely does not have a Latvian name.

And *does* Ozollapa mean 'oak leaf' in Latvian?
Yes. But the name of the other business could just be a coincidence, seeing as he makes furniture from hardwoods. People don't necessarily plagiarize names deliberately. It could be something he saw that stuck in his subconscious.

I wonder which OakLeaf business was first, JO's or the other fellow's? And *does* Ozollapa mean 'oak leaf' in Latvian? For our own people (Canadian born), I could see naming your company 'Oak Leaf', just because we have Oak trees and etc... like Sunflower Designs, or whatever. Seems weird that one has all kinds of promo and photos going on, while the other has zilch.

Would love to know more details, like.. how JO got that job he was working on when he disappeared, whether those people had paid any monies yet, and when, etc., and how he was supporting his family without putting up a FB or website or advertising? I wonder if that job was finished, or paid for, or if someone else had to be hired to finish it?

Oak leaf in Latvian is ozol lapa.

Perhaps JO was doing a lot of cash-in-hand work? I don't find it so unusual that he wasn't advertising. I've been living in Eastern Europe for awhile now and I know that a lot of people doing renovations and related work here don't advertise as businesses in Canada do. Mostly, they seem to rely on a craigslist-type site.

Just food for thought related to any speculation wrt the 2 very similar business names:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ssNameInOntario.pdf+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

The Business Names Act does not prohibit registration of identical names, but if you decide to use a name that is the same as or confusingly similar to that of an existing business, it could result in a lawsuit. The person registering the name also assumes full responsibility for any risk of confusion with an existing corporation, business name or trademark ....

Liability

The registrant of a business name who has suffered damages because someone else has registered the same name or one that is deceptively similar can take legal action through the courts. The Business Names Act entitles you to recover compensation for damages suffered and provides for a court order cancelling the registration that was the cause of the action.

Just food for thought related to any speculation wrt the 2 very similar business names:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ssNameInOntario.pdf+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

My family has a business name that happened to have a similar name elsewhere. JO has reason to choose that business as his name (that's his name), and the other person in question happened to choose a name that's popular throughout Canada and the US in that field (google it). In my opinion, the name similarity is irrelevant.

Sure, could ultimately prove to be totally irrelevant, but he did own a business, so it is prudent to look at whether or not business dealings may or may not have factored into his disappearance.

Sure, could ultimately prove to be totally irrelevant, but he did own a business, so it is prudent to look at whether or not business dealings may or may not have factored into his disappearance.

Agreed, business dealings---yes. Business name, not so much.

I guess the point I was trying to make, or at least was considering in my head, was this:

-JO and his wife only moved to the Burlington area, from the Orangeville area (approx 2 hours away), only half a year prior to his disappearance.

-at time of disappearance JO was self-employed in the renovation business under the name of Oak Leaf Renovation

-what was JO doing for work prior to his move to Halton, while he was in Orangeville? I am taking a leap by suggesting that the man was doing the same thing while in Orangeville. I may be completely wrong. There have, however, been no statements made by previous co-workers in the Orangeville area, if JO was instead employed by another company during that time.

-JO reportedly owned a vehicle which was what he was driving when he disappeared, and which was subsequently found, but without him or his cellphone inside. Tapes showing the vehicle 'dumped' in the parking lot in the early morning hours, several hours after his disappearance, apparently show a different driver exiting the vehicle and taking off.

-JO's vehicle doesn't seem like the usual type of work truck that a renovator might have, ie one that would hold large sheets of drywall, insulation, siding, windows, lumber, etc. Most renos have work vans (full sized vans), full-sized pickup trucks, etc.

-It seems that JO worked alone in his business, this has neither been confirmed nor denied, however in the absence of any mention of employees, I'm taking another leap by suggesting he worked alone.

-JO has zero visible online advertising for his business in any location, at least that I and another sleuther have been able to locate, even though we have both made attempts to do so. This would be considered odd for a business in this day and age who wanted more customers to be aware of his business.

-Where did JO get his customers? No online advertising. No markings on his truck. Word of mouth? From where, Orangeville? Or was he busy enough to support his family with word-of-mouth referrals after only 6 months in his new area?

-If JO operated the same type of business while he was in Orangeville, what would be the reasoning for moving two hours away, to the Burlington area? I would think that an word-of-mouth referrals would generally be in the Orangeville area, which most people wouldn't want to drive back and forth from each day in their day-to-day business. That would really cut into profitability. Or really increase his pricing to his customers, which may counteract these people choosing him afterall.

-Another very similar business name exists in his old area, which serves Orangeville. This other business name is also operating the same TYPE of business. So were there 2 businesses with very similar names doing the same things in the same area at the same time? Which business came first? ie, who has more 'rights' to that business name? JO has been in Canada for .... was it 6 years? Was he in the Orangeville area during that entire time? The other reno business was in business at least from 2013(?) when he started his company's FB page. Did the 2 similar names cause an issue which made JO feel he had to move his business? Was only one of the two businesses legally registered as a business?

-The other business with the similar name which does the same type of work in JO's old area, does lots of advertising, holds viable and relevant credentials, has tons of photos, holds insurance, etc. Nothing of the same is seen for JO's business, not even a company-name-logo on his truck.

-Whichever of those 2 similarly named businesses was the SECOND one, was setting themselves up for potential liability for the reasons above noted in a recent post; in addition, in the event that one of those companies was sued by someone, say a customer, the other company would also be at risk due to the similarity in business name. Although not the same owner, it just adds more red tape to wade through in the event one becomes entangled, even in error, in a lawsuit of some kind. It is highly recommended by business legal advisers here, not to have a name so similar to another business.

-I'm not thinking that the 2 businesses are in any way linked to JO's disappearance. I'm just thinking that it is rather odd for a newcomer to this country to set up shop in a certain location for likely a number of years, do no public advertising, perhaps rely solely on word-of-mouth referrals, and then pack it up and move 2 hours away to start fresh all over again in a different location. And then 6 months later, the man disappears from one of his reno jobs. Linked? Likely not. Worth considering for a potential clue? Perhaps. Or at the very least, whatever business JO was in, would help to look for potential clues into what ever may have happened to him. MOO

I guess the point I was trying to make, or at least was considering in my head, was this:

-JO and his wife only moved to the Burlington area, from the Orangeville area (approx 2 hours away), only half a year prior to his disappearance.

-at time of disappearance JO was self-employed in the renovation business under the name of Oak Leaf Renovation

-what was JO doing for work prior to his move to Halton, while he was in Orangeville? I am taking a leap by suggesting that the man was doing the same thing while in Orangeville. I may be completely wrong. There have, however, been no statements made by previous co-workers in the Orangeville area, if JO was instead employed by another company during that time.

-JO reportedly owned a vehicle which was what he was driving when he disappeared, and which was subsequently found, but without him or his cellphone inside. Tapes showing the vehicle 'dumped' in the parking lot in the early morning hours, several hours after his disappearance, apparently show a different driver exiting the vehicle and taking off.

-JO's vehicle doesn't seem like the usual type of work truck that a renovator might have, ie one that would hold large sheets of drywall, insulation, siding, windows, lumber, etc. Most renos have work vans (full sized vans), full-sized pickup trucks, etc.

-It seems that JO worked alone in his business, this has neither been confirmed nor denied, however in the absence of any mention of employees, I'm taking another leap by suggesting he worked alone.

-JO has zero visible online advertising for his business in any location, at least that I and another sleuther have been able to locate, even though we have both made attempts to do so. This would be considered odd for a business in this day and age who wanted more customers to be aware of his business.

-Where did JO get his customers? No online advertising. No markings on his truck. Word of mouth? From where, Orangeville? Or was he busy enough to support his family with word-of-mouth referrals after only 6 months in his new area?

-If JO operated the same type of business while he was in Orangeville, what would be the reasoning for moving two hours away, to the Burlington area? I would think that an word-of-mouth referrals would generally be in the Orangeville area, which most people wouldn't want to drive back and forth from each day in their day-to-day business. That would really cut into profitability. Or really increase his pricing to his customers, which may counteract these people choosing him afterall.

-Another very similar business name exists in his old area, which serves Orangeville. This other business name is also operating the same TYPE of business. So were there 2 businesses with very similar names doing the same things in the same area at the same time? Which business came first? ie, who has more 'rights' to that business name? JO has been in Canada for .... was it 6 years? Was he in the Orangeville area during that entire time? The other reno business was in business at least from 2013(?) when he started his company's FB page. Did the 2 similar names cause an issue which made JO feel he had to move his business? Was only one of the two businesses legally registered as a business?

-The other business with the similar name which does the same type of work in JO's old area, does lots of advertising, holds viable and relevant credentials, has tons of photos, holds insurance, etc. Nothing of the same is seen for JO's business, not even a company-name-logo on his truck.

-Whichever of those 2 similarly named businesses was the SECOND one, was setting themselves up for potential liability for the reasons above noted in a recent post; in addition, in the event that one of those companies was sued by someone, say a customer, the other company would also be at risk due to the similarity in business name. Although not the same owner, it just adds more red tape to wade through in the event one becomes entangled, even in error, in a lawsuit of some kind. It is highly recommended by business legal advisers here, not to have a name so similar to another business.

-I'm not thinking that the 2 businesses are in any way linked to JO's disappearance. I'm just thinking that it is rather odd for a newcomer to this country to set up shop in a certain location for likely a number of years, do no public advertising, perhaps rely solely on word-of-mouth referrals, and then pack it up and move 2 hours away to start fresh all over again in a different location. And then 6 months later, the man disappears from one of his reno jobs. Linked? Likely not. Worth considering for a potential clue? Perhaps. Or at the very least, whatever business JO was in, would help to look for potential clues into what ever may have happened to him. MOO

Like you, I'm thinking that it was definitely something related to business dealings, though I don't think it was the renovation business. I don't doubt that he did some renovations, but the minimal evidence of this suggests that it wasn't much. I wonder what his main source of income was?

Are the police even still investigating this disappearance? It would be nice if they released a progress report at least every month.

I wonder if Janis has been ruled as being this UID in Windsor. IMO, there is a strong resemblance between JO and the artist sketch:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/thi...und+dead+trail+last+month/10978862/story.html

There was no identification in the man’s pockets, no abandoned car nearby, said Windsor police Const. Andrew Drouillard.

“There were no signs of foul play. It wasn’t suspicious in nature.”

As is their policy, police aren’t calling it a suicide, but rather, “a sudden death.”

Police put out a news release asking for the public’s help to identify the man. He is Caucasian, with blue eyes and a shaved head. He is 30 to 40 years old, about six feet tall and has a round scar roughly the size of a quarter on his right shoulder.

Next, police released a photograph of what the man was wearing – a navy blue windbreaker, black jogging pants and a black tuque – and the bright white New Balance running shoes found near the base of the tree.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...on-contractor-missing-since-sept-30-1.2825177

Ozollapa is white, six feet tall and 170 pounds with a medium build. He has grey eyes, a goatee, is bald and speaks with a heavy Latvian accent.

It should be noted that even brown-eyed individuals can be observed to have blue or grey eyes after death.

It should be noted that even brown-eyed individuals can be observed to have blue or grey eyes after death.
<snip>

Sorry for quoting self, but thought I should add ... I don't have a forensic or pathology link to support the above statement, but know from personal experience. My son had dark brown eyes, but his autopsy report said blue. When I expressed this concern to the coroner (Chief Coroner of Ontario at the time), he gave me the full, technical explanation (which I didn't really absorb at the time).

Right now, I can only find anecdotal information, i.e.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hospice-Care-3445/2008/11/f/Eye-Color-Change-death.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back