CANADA Canada - Janis Ozollapa, 50, Oakville, Ont, 30 Sept 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I always assumed that the running man was Janis now I don't believe it was him.

Can LE not trace where his phone traveled after he left the job the day before his truck was found? If it pinged in the area where the truck was found then it would have pinged elsewhere before the truck was dumped. I'm thinking that would give them a sense of where he had gone and perhaps an idea of what he was doing.

Perhaps the phone did not travel anywhere, and the battery ran out. It may be possible that the phone is still somewhere in the vicinity of where the truck was found.

Almost a certainty the iPhone battery went dead. Everyone I know that has these needs to charge them every day.

'“I don’t believe it’s him,” said Ozollapa's wife Patricia Harris Wednesday, describing how she’s seen the blurry, dimly-lit security tape. “He has a very distinct walk and he just never runs.'

More here: http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...t-him-on-security-tape-near-oakville-go-stat/

In the attached video from the security cam, the man walks down the driveway between the businesses and starts running once he rounds the corner by the lighting store. You can make out the motorcycle and other vehicles heading eastward just after that.

I just wanted to clarify that in the CBC video, it was stated that Ozollapa's iphone was registering with a tower in the same area as the truck was found, for 2 days after 'the truck was found'.. the truck was found I believe 10 days after he went missing, so... that iphone should have been registering for 12 days??? Is that possible??? Reporter error??? If no activity on an iphone, how long can it continue registering with a cell tower? (Mine needs charging every single day, but that is with use). For the phone to last for days even with no use, its battery must be pretty new? And he must not have had any gimmicky things using up power in the background? Doesn't even having the GPS thing turned on use up the battery? Or can a phone 'register with a tower' without the GPS part being turned on? (Cellphone illiterate really).

Per CBC (link above) his mobile was an iPhone, and it pinged in the area where the truck was found (157 Cross) for 2 days after his disappearance.

Maybe Running Man ditched the phone in a public waste receptacle nearby and the City subsequently collected the garbage on the Thursday (Oct 2nd)?

Ok.. this is crazy on my part, I know.. and I don't know much about the 'science' of body language.. but in the video segment where O's wife is saying, 'we just want you home', she is also shaking her head.. like one does when saying 'no'. Is this a common body language thing to do? I guess I will go and research that a bit. (that spot is at 1:43)

Ok.. this is crazy on my part, I know.. and I don't know much about the 'science' of body language.. but in the video segment where O's wife is saying, 'we just want you home', she is also shaking her head.. like one does when saying 'no'. Is this a common body language thing to do? I guess I will go and research that a bit. (that spot is at 1:43)
I wouldn't read anything sinister into that. To me it just looks like how she expresses herself.

I just wanted to clarify that in the CBC video, it was stated that Ozollapa's iphone was registering with a tower in the same area as the truck was found, for 2 days after 'the truck was found'.. the truck was found I believe 10 days after he went missing, so... that iphone should have been registering for 12 days??? Is that possible??? Reporter error??? If no activity on an iphone, how long can it continue registering with a cell tower? (Mine needs charging every single day, but that is with use). For the phone to last for days even with no use, its battery must be pretty new? And he must not have had any gimmicky things using up power in the background? Doesn't even having the GPS thing turned on use up the battery? Or can a phone 'register with a tower' without the GPS part being turned on? (Cellphone illiterate really).

You’re so right! Sue Sgambati (CBC reporter) says phone was registering with a tower up until 2 days after the truck found, which would have been Oct. 12th. If that’s truly the case, it might have have been switched off but still sending signals to the local tower — which, I gather, is possible with smart phones. Apparently, certain Apps are able to track you even if the iPhone battery is completely depleted.

This is one story I found about iPhone batteries being “dead” but still having enough power to identify the mobile location: http://bgr.com/2014/03/04/iphone-5s-motion-tracking-dead-battery/

Do we know which iphone he had? I'm pretty sure the 4 and the 5c do not have the technology to track after the battery is dead. My son lost his iPhone 5c last night and I used my iphone to try to track it and it showed 0% battery and I was only able to track it for about 5 minutes and then I wasn't getting anything. So if he didn't have a 5s ... How could it continue to be tracked two days after the truck was found?

I always assumed that the running man was Janis now I don't believe it was him.

Can LE not trace where his phone traveled after he left the job the day before his truck was found? If it pinged in the area where the truck was found then it would have pinged elsewhere before the truck was dumped. I'm thinking that would give them a sense of where he had gone and perhaps an idea of what he was doing.

bbm - Wanted to bring this valid question back to everyone's attention. Where was the phone before the truck was found? Can cell phone records show the movement of a phone over time, and how far back? It would be interesting to see whether the phone was somewhere else beside Janis' workplace and the area where the truck was eventually found.

Regarding the mystery of the phone still pinging 2 days after the truck was found - Imo either this was bad/wrong reporting or the phone was actually used and re-charged up until Oct 9 or 10 or so and then ditched together with the car. It's quite possible that the batteries would last a few days if the phone was not in use at all.

I have been a member of webslueths for years and I can't believe I find myself knowing information in this case. It's not like I know this couple well but I spent the weekend with the wife PH when she first found out she was pregnant with Janis son. This is just weird however I found the wife weird and I only met Janis once a while ago. I will give more information Sunday as I am away and this taptalk isn't really working well and I feel I need to express what I experienced with her and her background.

Sorry daughter? Don't know what the sex is of their child just that she was pregnant

Look forward to hearing back from you on Sunday.

I have been a member of webslueths for years and I can't believe I find myself knowing information in this case. It's not like I know this couple well but I spent the weekend with the wife PH when she first found out she was pregnant with Janis son. This is just weird however I found the wife weird and I only met Janis once a while ago. I will give more information Sunday as I am away and this taptalk isn't really working well and I feel I need to express what I experienced with her and her background.

I always never know how much I am allowed to say here so I will post my experience meeting the both of them which are facts.

I met PH Nov 2011 if I am not mistaken. My friend and I usually go to Buffalo for Black Friday shopping/girls weekend. My friend is very social and while it was only supposed to be us two she invited PH along. She had told me she met her online on some social networking site called "The Halton Peel Social Group" for people wanting to meet new friends. PH messaged my friend asking if she wanted to meet up along with another girl that PH had met online. So before we went away I think she had known PH maybe 6 months max.

That being said we met up at my friends house, PH was late and for me it bothered me because it wasn't like 30min late it was hours late and she didn't seem to care that she was holding us up. She got there and my first impression was someone that was into herself just by the way she was talking but I just kept my mouth shut and told my friend that we needed to leave. PH drove in a separate car and we met at the hotelin Erie PA instead of buffalo because we had never been. During the ride up there my friend was telling me more about PH. my friend said PH was and still is a surgical nurse at Trillium Hospital in Mississauga. She has two older sons from a previous relationship in which she did not mention anything about the father. She told me that her two children were in a treatment care centre as she couldn't take care of them because they were autistic. I found this weird because I am a mother and also because she is a nurse. Why get rid of your children as a mother? I never pushed for questions at all just listened to her story. From what I have heard she visits them once a month. When we were all in my friends car travelling from store to store shopping the Adele son called "someone like you" came on and she went mental. She freaked out and was screaming turn it of and I mean consider I had just met her and she is in her 40's I was like "seriously?" I haven't even seen a child behave the way she did it was weird. When we went back to the hotel she said she had to go work out in the gym downstairs. I asked if she was really serious because we were here to shop and have fun.. Again I see this and think weird but maybe some people just need to do that also when they are on vacation. Along the trip we were trying to find my friend Gluten free food but PH was getting worked up because she had to have the "double down" from KFC. She got very agitated and was come on I need the double down..She said it like 5 times, something my friend and I joke about to this day because it was such bizarre behaviour from a grown woman. The trip seemed to be all about what she wanted to do and her time schedule. We went to one mall and agreed to meet up about 3 hours later and as soon as we got there she was like " I don't want to shop here can we go?" My friend had had just enough and said no we just got here, lets just go for an hour instead then. When we got back to the hotel my friend and I were having some wine and the entire time she was that we drink too much wine and that she never drinks and its wrong or something like that. My friend and I obviously ignored her and we decided that we were going to play cranium since we had 4 people. It took 45 mins to convince her to play she just didn't really want to do anything.

During the time we were away PH was discussing her separation from here then boyfriend in Orangeville. Supposedly she was living in brampton while he stayed in the house that she owned. I remember asking why don't you kick him out its your house and to be honest I just can't remember her answer. She mentioned that she met and was dating this guy that barely spoke English and that she was just seeing where the relationship with go but she wasn't all that into him. My friend told me this weekend that PH had invited Janis over to her house the first time they met so I am assuming maybe they met on that same social site as well but I really don't know and they had relations that same day.

My friend said that when Janis and PH got together they went and kicked her ex (who had brought a new GF to live with him) out of the house and janis renovated and they sold and moved to Burlington. Around this time is when my friend and her stopped talking and I think it was around the time she said she was pregnant with Janis baby.

I recently was on PH and Janis profile this weekend and noticed that Janis had not one picture of PH just his kid and PH had many of him. I noticed a post which I can only assume is PH brother in which my friend said she had no clue she had one posting about Janis missing. He said "My brother in law" and there was also a picture on his FB page with what looks to be her two autistic sons. They look to be in their teens.

I met Janis once at a bar in Oakville when a group of us went to watch the UFC fight. He didn't speak English not even broken English. He felt uncomfortable being there and they did not stay very long. I wish I could tell you the timeline but I have been through so much in three years that I only remember things that stuck out to me as odd. I do know however it was the UFC fight where the guy had that big haematoma on his head after he got knocked out....

I was told Janis came to canada with an amputee hockey team as he saw it as an opportunity but I am not sure what for because he was leaving his kids behind.

My friend used to throw Passion parties and PH was invited to one and it just so happened that one of her co-workers was invited that had had similar circle of friends. PH supposedly freaked out and told my friend that she was uncomfortable and my friend told her she could leave but she decided to stay. She ignored her co-worker the entire time she was there.

My friend and I talked all weekend and I picked her brain about this and what we felt was odd and actually messaged her. Here is what felt was weird.

1) We both felt that she has a semi smile on her face in that picture of her holding the frame.
2) Why does he not have one picture of her on his Facebook?
3) She states that he was very sociable and I do not agree with that at all. Maybe he was around his Latvian friends? He wasn't a big drinker from what I was told and didn't like to be in crowds with a lot of people.
4) When I message PH yesterday saying I am sorry to hear what happen and would you like us to put up some posters she said they had a poster campaign and that it got very few leads that were not significant. Wouldn't you want to put them up any ways??
5) How do you communicate in a relationship with someone who does not speak the same language as you? I mean at all?
6) PH still has not let the hospital know that she would not be in. She just never showed up and the hospital still has not been able to get a hold of her. How is she paying her bills? Wouldn't the first thing you would do is call your work and tell them your situation and that you won't be in? Or at least have someone else call? How will the bills get paid? I learned about this information this weekend.
7) PH talks about a lot but her family nothing. My friend didn't even know she had a brother or anyone else in her family. I feel like she told me but I honestly can't remember that info.

I am sorry if I am all over the place with this I am just writing what I can remember and throwing it all down here. I am not writing this at all to accuse anyone just to give you more of a background because it might help understanding their relationship and could spread some light with some questions you guys might have. I am hoping I did not break any rules, and to reiterate .... I am in no way saying she did this.

1) We both felt that she has a semi smile on her face in that picture of her holding the frame.
2) Why does he not have one picture of her on his Facebook?
3) She states that he was very sociable and I do not agree with that at all. Maybe he was around his Latvian friends? He wasn't a big drinker from what I was told and didn't like to be in crowds with a lot of people.
4) When I message PH yesterday saying I am sorry to hear what happen and would you like us to put up some posters she said they had a poster campaign and that it got very few leads that were not significant. Wouldn't you want to put them up any ways??
5) How do you communicate in a relationship with someone who does not speak the same language as you? I mean at all?
6) PH still has not let the hospital know that she would not be in. She just never showed up and the hospital still has not been able to get a hold of her. How is she paying her bills? Wouldn't the first thing you would do is call your work and tell them your situation and that you won't be in? Or at least have someone else call? How will the bills get paid? I learned about this information this weekend.
7) PH talks about a lot but her family nothing. My friend didn't even know she had a brother or anyone else in her family. I feel like she told me but I honestly can't remember that info.

I am sorry if I am all over the place with this I am just writing what I can remember and throwing it all down here. I am not writing this at all to accuse anyone just to give you more of a background because it might help understanding their relationship and could spread some light with some questions you guys might have. I am hoping I did not break any rules, and to reiterate .... I am in no way saying she did this.
Wow! that's a lot of background information. Very useful in guessing at what actually happened and why. I'm sure LE would be interested in this information if they want to solve the case.

Could one possibility be that Janis wanted to get away from this relationship?

One reason I'm following this is that I was born in Latvia during the Russian occupation, we escaped during the German occupation and then the Allies gave Latvia back to the Russians at the end of WW2. I've not been in touch with the Latvian community in Canada for decades since my parents died. A lot has changed since Latvia became free again.

Edit: I just wanted to add that all the Latvians I knew were big drinkers. ;)

Wow! that's a lot of background information. Very useful in guessing at what actually happened and why. I'm sure LE would be interested in this information if they want to solve the case.

Could one possibility be that Janis wanted to get away from this relationship?

One reason I'm following this is that I was born in Latvia during the Russian occupation, we escaped during the German occupation and then the Allies gave Latvia back to the Russians at the end of WW2. I've not been in touch with the Latvian community in Canada for decades since my parents died. A lot has changed since Latvia became free again.

Edit: I just wanted to add that all the Latvians I knew were big drinkers. ;)

BBM: I am not sure, but the looks of it he really loved this daughter as he has tons of pictures with her. I heard that PH has a temper and called my friend telling her they got into a fight over pop! When she called my friend crying, my friend first assumed it was because it was a domestic problem but in the end they fought over what type of pop she wanted. Seems trivial doesn't it? I heard that PH was a type of woman that was jealous and would look to look see if women posted on FB like flirting like. Last night I searched through his FB page and some that some girl said "you meant to say, your other sweetie!" and responded with her name and said "Yesss ______ My other swetie...* so not sure if they were flirting or not but he didn't seem like the flirty type when I met him just uncomfortable. I heard that when they went out it was always his friends and none of them spoke english so my friend asked her how she could just sit there not understanding a word they say or if they were talking about her and she said "He has been teaching me a couple of words". So that being said honestly its a possibility but by the looks of the way he seemed to love his daughter I don't think that he would leave without her.

I was reading in the newspaper when they did the story on him and questions were asked and PH mentioned that her daughter was "immature" ... that is kind of a word you wouldn't use to refer to a 2 yr old but the article I got it from made no sense and I am wondering now if it has been converted from Latvian to English. Here is the article so you know what I mean. They mention the military as well but the article is just so broken and not easy to read. http://catimes.net/regional/toronto...ton-man-janis-ozollapa-desperate-for-answers/

My question for you Jaybird is can you interpretate what is written in Latvian? I am finding it hard to really read anything because it is not in English.

I also noticed that he did not comment on any of her pictures but the latest one she posted as her profile picture on Sept 26th he said "Supper beautiful!!!:) i love u!" I am going to double check to see if he liked or commented on any of her other pictures. I know the other night I was looking but may have not looked good enough

I was reading in the newspaper when they did the story on him and questions were asked and PH mentioned that her daughter was "immature" ... that is kind of a word you wouldn't use to refer to a 2 yr old but the article I got it from made no sense and I am wondering now if it has been converted from Latvian to English. Here is the article so you know what I mean. They mention the military as well but the article is just so broken and not easy to read. http://catimes.net/regional/toronto...ton-man-janis-ozollapa-desperate-for-answers/

My question for you Jaybird is can you interpretate what is written in Latvian? I am finding it hard to really read anything because it is not in English.
That looks like some gawdawful Google translation. I could probably make more sense of the original Latvian. I suspect "immature" just refers to her young age.

I know everyone reacts differently and you don't know what you would do in someone elses shoes but I would be plastering it all over my facebook to have people help me find him. Maybe it is her personality not to react that way but even the friends when I read their posts everyone seems to have carried on. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mykand
Back