Found Deceased Canada - Jessica Newman, 24, Calgary, 10 March 2015 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Major Crimes has some of the best Detectives in the CPS. I have never known them to do anything "half baked" or without purpose. I suspect that whatever the intention was behind the letter, it was done with a great deal of forethought and calculation.
Humans... funny thing... good ideas at the time are just that sometimes.

If they have suspicions or information, I would think a more calculated, and subtle approach to elicit what they are looking for would be a smarter choice.

This just seems desperate. If I was a perp or insider, I would be asking myself if they had anything, why wouldn't they talk to me directly, or bring me in? They must have nothing. I'd be more worried if an unmarked car drove by me, while the occupants made a very deliberate glance at me... or stopped to have a chit chat about nothing.

I'm thinking that perhaps it was an 'ah-ha' moment when through social media, they (LE) got results when the individual they had wanted to speak with showed up and commented to comments. Whoever their target is, I'm guessing, is someone whom LE believe will also bite the bait. Perhaps not just because of the letter, but perhaps in response to some of the comments that might be generated as a result of the letter. If my thoughts on that are correct, it seems fairly calculated to me. LE is bending their actions to the target in this specific instance/case when they think it might be effective. Thing is, we don't know who the target is. For all we know, it could be the same person who bit the first time. One person it's *not* likely to be, is the roomie, imho.

I'm thinking that perhaps it was an 'ah-ha' moment when through social media, they (LE) got results when the individual they had wanted to speak with showed up and commented to comments. Whoever their target is, I'm guessing, is someone whom LE believe will also bite the bait. Perhaps not just because of the letter, but perhaps in response to some of the comments that might be generated as a result of the letter. If my thoughts on that are correct, it seems fairly calculated to me. LE is bending their actions to the target in this specific instance/case when they think it might be effective. Thing is, we don't know who the target is. For all we know, it could be the same person who bit the first time. One person it's *not* likely to be, is the roomie, imho.
I have a feeling that the target is someone we haven't heard of at this point.

Just a hunch.

I'm back! With you on this one News Talk. Just got up to speed on this and read through from page 1. Most peculiar circumstances and clearly no evidence to tie in the obvious usual suspects. Seemingly no evidence whatsoever. Sad.

I'm back! With you on this one News Talk. Just got up to speed on this and read through from page 1. Most peculiar circumstances and clearly no evidence to tie in the obvious usual suspects. Seemingly no evidence whatsoever. Sad.
OMG!!!! Cherchri!!! :D Awesome *seeing* you here! Just in time for the Garland trial and copious amounts of coffee and gossip...

Whenever I hear that Major Crimes are involved, I remind myself of some of the unusual methods they have used to catch suspects... Mr. Big stings are almost standard. They tend to lean towards a more progressive, unorthodox method of catching criminals, so a 'public' letter is not surprising. Unfortunately, the courts are not always as progressive... The Meika Jordan trial is a prime example. They posed as "crime bosses" to draw out a confession. Last I heard, the court has yet to rule if this is even admissible. I have heard of some other tactics used that are even more unconventional, but I am reluctant to post them. This letter is almost tame by comparison, but it is suggestive of an attempt to draw out a perpetrator. While the O'Brien/Liknes case has a crime scene for them to gather evidence, in this case there is none. Without a body their hands are tied. I suspect they are trying to intimidate 'someone' to giving up a location to "bring her home to the family" which likely means a body. I don't think for a minute that they are suggesting that she is hiding out. My interpretation is that they already know she is deceased but without a body, they cannot charge the suspect they clearly have in their sights. They are hoping to scare the person into giving up a location. I wouldn't be surprised if they are deploying a number of other methods to close this case, and we are only seeing a very small sliver.

OMG!!!! Cherchri!!! :D Awesome *seeing* you here! Just in time for the Garland trial and copious amounts of coffee and gossip...

Whenever I hear that Major Crimes are involved, I remind myself of some of the unusual methods they have used to catch suspects... Mr. Big stings are almost standard. They tend to lean towards a more progressive, unorthodox method of catching criminals, so a 'public' letter is not surprising. Unfortunately, the courts are not always as progressive... The Meika Jordan trial is a prime example. They posed as "crime bosses" to draw out a confession. Last I heard, the court has yet to rule if this is even admissible. I have heard of some other tactics used that are even more unconventional, but I am reluctant to post them. This letter is almost tame by comparison, but it is suggestive of an attempt to draw out a perpetrator. While the O'Brien/Liknes case has a crime scene for them to gather evidence, in this case there is none. Without a body their hands are tied. I suspect they are trying to intimidate 'someone' to giving up a location to "bring her home to the family" which likely means a body. I don't think for a minute that they are suggesting that she is hiding out. My interpretation is that they already know she is deceased but without a body, they cannot charge the suspect they clearly have in their sights. They are hoping to scare the person into giving up a location. I wouldn't be surprised if they are deploying a number of other methods to close this case, and we are only seeing a very small sliver.

Hoping to meet up at the DG trial although working flat out at present. Back to JRN - indeed your last para here 100% my take.

who witnessed her being dropped off at home?
That's the million dollar question. She was last seen waiting for a ride... and now last seen dropped off.

Is that a surprise to the ex that this was witnessed, or was that supplied by the ex? If LE knew this at the time of the initial press reports, then why not have that vehicle description out there while memories are fresh?

I'm all for giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this letter and the pertinent information changes start to appear a bit haphazard and on the verge of bungling.

Time will tell.

That's the million dollar question. She was last seen waiting for a ride... and now last seen dropped off.

Is that a surprise to the ex that this was witnessed, or was that supplied by the ex? If LE knew this at the time of the initial press reports, then why not have that vehicle description out there while memories are fresh?

I'm all for giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this letter and the pertinent information changes start to appear a bit haphazard and on the verge of bungling.

Time will tell.
Or.... Calculated misdirection.

Time will tell.

look at the likes

Or.... Calculated misdirection.
Even if that's the case... it's a pretty public attempt at intimidation, and the additional press release seems to target an individual. If I were a defence lawyer, I'd be questioning the validity of any new information, given that they almost intimidated/solicited/invited information about a specific individual, and wrapped it in an array of technicalities... they didn't actually name anyone as a suspect, they didn't really make any threats, they didn't actually release the letter to the public... but suddenly we got some information, coincidentally about the person we didn't target. This will have to be a pretty solid case if it ends up in court.

Imagine this tactic in other cases... the Lush case... Mrs. Lush... please release this letter so that the perps know this case won't go away. Seems pretty silly when you actually look at it... no?

Or did you mean they are trying to distract the public while they pick up the dropped ball? Last seen waiting for a ride. Really?

Even if that's the case... it's a pretty public attempt at intimidation, and the additional press release seems to target an individual. If I were a defence lawyer, I'd be questioning the validity of any new information, given that they almost intimidated/solicited/invited information about a specific individual, and wrapped it in an array of technicalities... they didn't actually name anyone as a suspect, they didn't really make any threats, they didn't actually release the letter to the public... but suddenly we got some information, coincidentally about the person we didn't target. This will have to be a pretty solid case if it ends up in court.

Imagine this tactic in other cases... the Lush case... Mrs. Lush... please release this letter so that the perps know this case won't go away. Seems pretty silly when you actually look at it... no?

Or did you mean they are trying to distract the public while they pick up the dropped ball? Last seen waiting for a ride. Really?
Think of the letter as a very tiny tool in a very large toolbox.

look at the likes
Of course it's going to get likes. Just like the Lush fundraiser got lots of support. If anything revealed today was accurate, some people might be kicking themselves now. Those close to the family, and co-grievers eat this stuff up.

The question is whether it's going to be effective, or eventually become an issue in court. I wonder what other law enforcement agencies think of this...

Of course it's going to get likes. Just like the Lush fundraiser got lots of support. If anything revealed today was accurate, some people might be kicking themselves now. Those close to the family, and co-grievers eat this stuff up.

The question is whether it's going to be effective, or eventually become an issue in court. I wonder what other law enforcement agencies think of this...
They do. Obviously, they don't publicize their strategies or they wouldn't be very effective.

Think of the letter as a very tiny tool in a very large toolbox.
I understand fully the potential tactic... it is at the risk of credibility, and any future prosecution.

... and also seems to be distracting everyone from questioning why the "dropped off" information wasn't released earlier.

They do. Obviously, they don't publicize their strategies or they wouldn't be very effective.
They did just publicize one.

One which may cost them in many different ways in the future... from expectations of disclosure, to court challenges, to outright scoffing at the chest thumping.

Under the guise of writing a letter to a concerned mother, to then hint at releasing the letter publicly, and then make veiled threats with a "he said she said" appeal... it seems like an idea that went wrong. Is anyone, potential perps included, buying into any of it?

The only reason for its existence is a blatantly obvious manipulation... the only mystery is the anticipated results.

Hey welcome back Cherchri! Where *have* you been?

"It’s a variation of a tactic used to elicit information", said Sgt. John Hebert of the missing person’s unit, who added there are fears Newman might be dead.

“We’re open to all possibilities, we’re not completely focused on that path but it’s one of the paths,” he said."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/04/1...ned-by-police-jessicas-case-is-not-going-away

With the other quote that she may have simply dropped out of sight, is it me, or is Sgt. Hebert of Missing Persons, not Major Crimes, sort of wrecking the intended effect of the letter... either that or he's publicly distancing himself from it.

If LE internally and publically recognizes it's just a tactic, then why the cheap theatrics? Just call a press conference and release the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member