CANADA Canada - Joanna Pedersen, 10, Chilliwack, BC, 19 Feb 1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm no longer so sure that the last letter sent in was actually from the abductor. It could have been but I'm not 100% convinced. First, the second line seems to be a pre-apology for perhaps not having useful information, something I do not think an actual abductor would say. Second, after re-reading the first couple of sentences of the letter and the broken English I thought of the possibility that the writer's first language was not English (he or she could be Asian, for example, as the omission of 'would' is extremely common with Chinese, Koreans, Filopinos, etc) and that it may have been written by a real witness who does have knowledge about the abductor, who he is, and Jo-Anne's whereabouts. And the envelope looks like it was written by a completely different person as well. It still may have been brought about due to terminal ill health of that person of possibly by nagging guilt or a due to a falling out with someone. View attachment 127775

Where does the blue roofed car fit in? At a possible sighting at 10 PM on the same night of the disappearance. According to a newspaper report (November 2, 1983), a cream-colored two door car with a blue roof stopped at the store at 10 PM. "A man got out of the car, went to the phone booth, contacted someone, and then walked back to his vehicle. He took a young girl from the car to the phone booth, and the girl spoke on the phone. Then they drove away. The witnesses described a girl similar to Joanne, but wearing different clothing."

At the time of the actual disappearance between 8:00 - 8:30 PM, this car was not reported as being present at the store. The two possible vehicles present included a faded gold car (parked on the north side in view of the phone booth) and a faded red Datsun or Toyota which was parked on the south side of the store and occupied by its driver.

What are the odds that the abductor initially drove her somewhere to get warmed up and changed out of soaking wet clothes? This would account for the different clothing. This would also account for the RCMP stating that they believed he was trying to help her. Did he have something that would have fit her? Did he borrow the clothing from a neighbor who lived nearby?

And going back in a second car, one perhaps he didn't normally use? The seats of the first car would have been soaked from the rain. If he did have a second car which he returned in, it was probably not registered to begin with.

This is just in regards to the lack of grammar of the visible part of the letter which was made public (via a photo): "I thought I bring this info forward. This may or not be, useful."(sic)

I made the previous comment that it sounded like a person with English as a second language. But it could also have been written by someone who hadn't received a high level of education by no fault of their own.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a little post to remember Jo-Anne. I have talked to many people who knew her and no one has ever forgotten her. Including G.S., who always remembers how Jo-Anne used to love riding her bicycle. Thirty-five years ago, I believe that a chance meeting happened and that an unfortunate, unintentional accident likely occurred that night. Someone - unemployed and with a drinking problem - wronged her but also another person. I don't believe her father had anything to do with it and as such, he has suffered too all these years as well. I hope that the night of February 19th all those years ago continues to linger constantly in one particular individual's mind - if he is still alive - and that he is never, ever,ever free.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/bc-rcmp-renew-call-for-info-on-girl-who-went-missing-35-years-ago/
12056626_web1_Front.jpg

B.C. RCMP marked National Missing Children’s Day Friday with a renewed call for information about a Chilliwack girl not seen since 1983.

It was 35 years ago in February that Joanne Pedersen telephoned her mom from a public pay phone at the corner of Vedder Road and Watson Road. The 10-year-old was cold and wet, and had walked to the Penny Pincher convenience store (no longer there) after an apparent argument with her sister.

Pedersen was last seen Feb. 19 with an unknown adult male, RCMP say, only described as wearing a brown jacket.

With this unique website from the Chilliwack city government, I can look at satellite imagery of the Sardis area and see how the area looked back to 1983. I can switch between the various years of imagery available to see the changes throughout the years.Chilliwack Mapping System.jpg

The property I was interested in a couple of posts ago was right in the Vedder/Watson Road area, near the store. However, I believe it didn't even exist at the time in 1983. So...A dead end.

The mother said that the male in question told her boyfriend that they'd better be there in 30 minutes or he'd call the police. I timed how long a return trip would be by car - from the Penny Pincher to this particular property - with the rain in mind. It would take about the same amount of time give or take five minutes. So there was likely intent to make a return trip to drop her off. But that never happened. So what went wrong? That'll be in my next update.

The mother said that the male in question told her boyfriend that they'd better be there in 30 minutes or he'd call the police. I timed how long a return trip would be by car - from the Penny Pincher to this particular property - with the rain in mind. It would take about the same amount of time give or take five minutes. So there was likely intent to make a return trip to drop her off. But that never happened. So what went wrong? That'll be in my next update.
The mother claims she got there 15-20 minutes after the phone call. Also she says she phoned right back after the call and no answer.

Video:
Archive: Joanne Pedersen disappears in Chilliwack | Watch News Videos Online

This is just in regards to the lack of grammar of the visible part of the letter which was made public (via a photo): "I thought I bring this info forward. This may or not be, useful."(sic)

I made the previous comment that it sounded like a person with English as a second language. But it could also have been written by someone who hadn't received a high level of education by no fault of their own.

In the nearby vicinity of Promentory and Vedder Crossing there are various First Nations reserves and owned territory. Soowahlie First Nations reserve near Cultus Lake, about a twelve-minute drive by car from the store. There is also the Tzeachten owned land and territory northeast of the store. There is also Skowkale and Yakweakwioose further northeast above the Tzeachten owned land. There is also Shxwa:y Village, Squiala, and Skwah to the north.
I believe the note was written by a female with a lower educational level. The envelope however looks to be written by a male. Could be a father/daughter combo. MOO

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

“A tall white man with “messy or wavy-style” hair was the last person seen talking to Jo-Anne at the phone booth...”

Where does the blue roofed car fit in? At a possible sighting at 10 PM on the same night of the disappearance. According to a newspaper report (November 2, 1983), a cream-colored two door car with a blue roof stopped at the store at 10 PM. "A man got out of the car, went to the phone booth, contacted someone, and then walked back to his vehicle. He took a young girl from the car to the phone booth, and the girl spoke on the phone. Then they drove away. The witnesses described a girl similar to Joanne, but wearing different clothing."

At the time of the actual disappearance between 8:00 - 8:30 PM, this car was not reported as being present at the store. The two possible vehicles present included a faded gold car (parked on the north side in view of the phone booth) and a faded red Datsun or Toyota which was parked on the south side of the store and occupied by its driver.

What are the odds that the abductor initially drove her somewhere to get warmed up and changed out of soaking wet clothes? This would account for the different clothing. This would also account for the RCMP stating that they believed he was trying to help her. Did he have something that would have fit her? Did he borrow the clothing from a neighbor who lived nearby?

And going back in a second car, one perhaps he didn't normally use? The seats of the first car would have been soaked from the rain. If he did have a second car which he returned in, it was probably not registered to begin with.

The phone booth man was associated with a “a two-door white- or cream-coloured domestic car from the early- to mid-70s with a dark Landau roof.”

Joanne Marie PEDERSEN - Age 10 - Missing - February 19, 1983 - Chilliwack, BC

So the 10pm sighting of a cream colored car with blue roof could be same vehicle right?

In just a few hours time, it will have been 36 years since Joanne disappeared. On February 19th, 1983, I believe this was the four (approximately) acre rural property the man - caucasian and in his late twenties - took her too she she could get a dry change of clothing.

Attachments

• Property.jpg
    Property.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 24
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Any lead could be helpful in jumpstarting this case. Also, has anyone ruled out the possibility Joann herself could have been forced to write those anonymous letters to the police? Someone noted it looked like a woman's writing on the letter, in broken English. If Joann wasn't given any education past 10 when she was abducted, it is very possible that she would have written this. Someone also noted that the envelope sealing it looked to have different handwriting, this could have been her captor?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> Any lead could be helpful in jumpstarting this case. Also, has anyone ruled out the possibility Joann herself could have been forced to write those anonymous letters to the police? Someone noted it looked like a woman's writing on the letter, in broken English. If Joann wasn't given any education past 10 when she was abducted, it is very possible that she would have written this. Someone also noted that the envelope sealing it looked to have different handwriting, this could have been her captor?
That’s exactly what I thought. That the letter was written by a female and the envelope by a man.

So I was looking thru a Facebook. And came across this picture of a Jane doe. And she looks very similar to what Joanne would look like. I commented on the picture of the Jane doe with a picture of Joanne pederson and her age enhanced picture. The author of the post has requested I get my local police department to get in contact with their authority’s. I tried looking for an email regarding this case but have not found anything yet. Anbody help me with this? B600C362-B481-482A-8AEB-9F77B44D6849.png

Attachments

• A2FB43C8-D00C-4AE9-A088-C2CF680B30CE.png
    A2FB43C8-D00C-4AE9-A088-C2CF680B30CE.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 5F574C42-8834-4DB6-BEB0-9B05F00F5839.png
    5F574C42-8834-4DB6-BEB0-9B05F00F5839.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B09786B2-F9C5-42B4-8A89-59F57AD9AA02.png
    B09786B2-F9C5-42B4-8A89-59F57AD9AA02.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 16
So I was looking thru a Facebook. And came across this picture of a Jane doe. And she looks very similar to what Joanne would look like. I commented on the picture of the Jane doe with a picture of Joanne pederson and her age enhanced picture. The author of the post has requested I get my local police department to get in contact with their authority’s. I tried looking for an email regarding this case but have not found anything yet. Anbody help me with this? View attachment 267839
So on Namus there is contact information for the person assigned to the case. You can go to the UID and contact the person to give them Joanne’s information. Hope it’s a match!

This is probably "out there", but in the 2011 letter, the word Chilliwack almost appears that the writer has intentionally substituted the second "i" with a dot/bullet and "wack" is spelled "wock". This would give the phonetic equivalent of "Chill Walk".

Also, in the 2008 letter, LE says they cannot disclose the details and content of the letter. IMO, this is a good indication that Joanne is still alive somewhere. Otherwise, what harm could come to anyone other than Joanne (unless the writer said they would never communicate with LE again). If she is still alive, i'm afraid after all this time, she would be entirely habituated with whatever her circumstances are.

They aren't disclosing the letter because they don't want anyone pretending to be the letter writer. They want to make sure only the police and the letter writer know what's in the letter so they can rule out phonies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back