Canada - Laura Babcock, 23, Toronto, 26 June 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
my concern is if DM had absolutely nothing to do with her disappearance, they are attaching his name to her and people have tunnel vision and may not really remember some key points around the time she disappeared..so hard to remember things now a year later..and might get clouded by the whole DM case.

my concern is if DM had absolutely nothing to do with her disappearance, they are attaching his name to her and people have tunnel vision and may not really remember some key points around the time she disappeared..so hard to remember things now a year later..and might get clouded by the whole DM case.

I agree. If LB did have a drug problem then she would not have turned to the shelter system because you cannot use/bring drugs in, and there are annoying curfews (i.e., specific times they open and close the doors for access during the night) that cramp your style if you need to run out and get a fix

If she could not get drugs and shelter from DM, she would have to turn to some other drug vendor and from there the possibilities are endless/there are not a lot of happy endings

Perhaps if she is found, the family is already fearing publicity around the circumstances

Even if DM is NOT responsible for her disappearance, there are benefits to this whole reevaluation of her case. While the original report may have fallen through the cracks of the system, she is now in the public eye again. I am hopeful that maybe she will decide to contact her friends and family just to say she's ok.

Apparently because she didn't like her last name. Not sure why she started using a different first name too.

Maybe Elle as in "L" Ryan?

Why are they fighting the power of media?

What are they hiding?

They wanted LE to take her disappearance seriously and now they don't want it in the news. I am just not understanding.

I'm not denying that you have valid questions/comments, but I think you have to keep in mind that this family and group of friends have never had something like this happen in their lives. I truly believe they think that she has taken off and chooses not to be found. I can see why they are shying away from the media because the focus keeps moving to her mental state and drug use. Having to hear that aired out in a public forum has to be hard. I truly believe they are doing the best they know how.
People keep bringing up the Bosma story and the public coverage on that. The police department wont be holding press conferences or live updates for her. This family is left to do it on their own and without a controlled environment like the Bosma's had. The press can run wild with it. I just honestly think that they are worried it's going to turn negative and instead of focusing on Laura being missing, they're going to focus on Laura's demons.

I'm not sure why they think her mental health issues are anything negative people have problems sometimes. I did see someone encouraging people not to talk to the press on the Facebook page. I feel the media could work to their benifet at this time but that is their decision. That Facebook page is an open forum anyone can check it out. I'm just pointing that out. I hope they find her.

I hear ya Wendy101.......something is very off about this whole case, I am not saying she is not missing and hope she is safe but not your usual Missing Person's case and it can't be all because the Police dropped it so fast and it's there fault so blame them?? :fence::moo:

I wonder if the police dropepd it because they had NO INFORMATION about her.. Perhaps that was withheld from the Police too at that time?

I wonder if the police dropepd it because they had NO INFORMATION about her.. Perhaps that was withheld from the Police too at that time?

The family seems to be disjointed and detached.

WTH?

moo

Even if DM is NOT responsible for her disappearance, there are benefits to this whole reevaluation of her case. While the original report may have fallen through the cracks of the system, she is now in the public eye again. I am hopeful that maybe she will decide to contact her friends and family just to say she's ok.

BBM: She won't be in the public eye for long thanks to the idea of her friends to "keep media out" " media is the bad guy" "keep her tendencies secret" ect ext.. BUT "HELP us look"?? Nope.. Isn't going to happen.. IMO..
In fact, I think the chance to open her case wide open has past, they misses the boat... IMO..

I'm still trying to figure out how her family members didnt even know she was missing until recently. It does seem off to ask for help then tell people they do not want it.

If this was my daughter, everyone would know.. and any help the media could bring would be welcome. I would not care if all my family problems and secrets were aired in public. My only thought would be to bring my child home.

IMOO

It is my wish that Laura Babcock is ok and comes home safely. I know it does not look good after all this time but never give up hope!

How common are cases like Mila Johnson's in Canada? Her case is hauntiing me, whenever I think about other missing young women (and all missing people!). How can a case like Mila Johnson's even happen in Canada? How many missing people have been 'found' without the families knowing they have been found?

from the Toronto Star (link below)...
" Mila Johnson, 16, went missing from her Brampton home on Aug. 3. Human remains were found two weeks later, and have now been identified as Johnson."

Her body was found two weeks after she went missing but it took 9 months for her family to find this out?! That's really, really shocking to me! So sad for Mila and her family :(.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/15/mila_johnson_disappearance_body_found_in_niagara_river_identified_as_that_of_brampton_teen.html

A female body was found on Wednesday in Lake Ontario. If she can't be identified quickly, does Canada have a DNA database for missing people?

Body found: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/23/body-found-floating-in-lake-ontario-reportedly-wrapped-in-garbage-bag/

I'm still trying to figure out how her family members didnt even know she was missing until recently. It does seem off to ask for help then tell people they do not want it.

If this was my daughter, everyone would know.. and any help the media could bring would be welcome. I would not care if all my family problems and secrets were aired in public. My only thought would be to bring my child home.

IMOO

IMO, the only thing that can explain this, is if they did not think she was missing. If they truly believed that she was staying away from them on purpose. They might have more reason to think this then we know about. For example, what would cause her to dislike her own last name? For me though, if I thought my daughter was staying away on purpose, I would still want to try to make public appeals TO HER.

It is my wish that Laura Babcock is ok and comes home safely. I know it does not look good after all this time but never give up hope!

How common are cases like Mila Johnson's in Canada? Her case is hauntiing me, whenever I think about other missing young women (and all missing people!). How can a case like Mila Johnson's even happen in Canada? How many missing people have been 'found' without the families knowing they have been found?

from the Toronto Star (link below)...
" Mila Johnson, 16, went missing from her Brampton home on Aug. 3. Human remains were found two weeks later, and have now been identified as Johnson."

Her body was found two weeks after she went missing but it took 9 months for her family to find this out?! That's really, really shocking to me! So sad for Mila and her family :(.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/15/mila_johnson_disappearance_body_found_in_niagara_river_identified_as_that_of_brampton_teen.html

A female body was found on Wednesday in Lake Ontario. If she can't be identified quickly, does Canada have a DNA database for missing people?

Body found: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/23/body-found-floating-in-lake-ontario-reportedly-wrapped-in-garbage-bag/

No. I don't believe we do.

Is there any new info regarding the body found?

Does anyone know of there is a connection between Smich and Laura?

Does anyone know of there is a connection between Smich and Laura?

None that I know of based on online footprints. Not to say there may be but have found nothing to substantiate that there is a connection between Laura and Smich.

I know emotions are high, but we are not allowed to complain about other members. If you have a problem with someone's post, alert it or you might find yourself on the outside looking in.

IMOO

My brother takes off to places unknown for long periods of time and is often in areas where internet and phone connections are iffy, if at all. In fact, just this week I emailed him and said if I didn't hear something soon, I was calling the police and then he finally wrote. He's a good guy, just doesn't connect with family very often. If I weren't involved with WS, I probably would let it go even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya