Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cory Weiss is a look-alike, but the height is off on him too:

http://www.nampn.org/cases/weiss_cory.html

I don't know if it is a case of after you buy say a blue car, you suddenly notice lots of blue cars, but, it seems like alot of men fitting that description go missing .Is somebody stealing identity and using it before a person is reported missing?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/10/15/15699291.html
Since Trever Andrews, 26, mysteriously disappeared Oct. 28, 2009 from a northeast London neighbourhood, family and friends have grappled with questions that grow more agonizing each month.

Any new developments here?
I was going to phone, but ended up sending a follow up e-mail yesterday afternoon; will keep you posted if I get any reply.
They are both still listed on their respective sites though, so perhaps it was not a match :(

Does someone know how long LE usually takes to confirm or rule out a potential match? Do they ever answer one way or another?

Does someone know how long LE usually takes to confirm or rule out a potential match? Do they ever answer one way or another?

I tried to follow-up on a possible match for a different case that I called in to OPP. The detective told me that they only confirm if it is a match.

They don't tell the tipster if it turns out not to be a match.

But it could be that this is just be the policy of that one detective.

I tried to follow-up on a possible match for a different case that I called in to OPP. The detective told me that they only confirm if it is a match.

They don't tell the tipster if it turns out not to be a match.

But it could be that this is just be the policy of that one detective.
Thank you Carl, and you are absolutely correct. Got an answer today, saying something along those lines; they themselves do not always get a response from the investigators regarding these tips, unless the body has been identified so they can remove it from their site.

He was very nice and answered all my questions. THANK YOU Constable! :)

I think it is back to the drawing board for us, because he also told me that they received that same tip in 2006.

I guess it is safe to assume that RC was eliminated as a possible match. I did, however, put lots of emphasis on reasons for height discrepancy, so IF R.Carey was quickly eliminated in 2006 based only on height, hopefully they will have a second look.

Good thing that now we know for sure what you said Carl, that "They don't tell the tipster if it turns out not to be a match."

Back to the drawing board guys!

So little info available on Cory Weiss. Firstly, we do have to acknowledge that the height does not match. However he looks very similar to Bret; Bret's Ko Sakai (sp?) glasses have a distributorship in California; Cory went missing Aug 30 2001 from California; Bret was found a few days later, Sept 5 2001, in Deep River.

No info on what CW did for a living, but I still wonder about the movie crew that was in Deep River from California for the filming of Mulholland Drive some time in 2001.

Other than the NAMPN and Charley Project sites with the identical but very limited info on Cory, there is nobody talking about him on any sites, no news articles on him that i can find.

So little info available on Cory Weiss. Firstly, we do have to acknowledge that the height does not match. However he looks very similar to Bret; Bret's Ko Sakai (sp?) glasses have a distributorship in California; Cory went missing Aug 30 2001 from California; Bret was found a few days later, Sept 5 2001, in Deep River.

No info on what CW did for a living, but I still wonder about the movie crew that was in Deep River from California for the filming of Mulholland Drive some time in 2001.

Other than the NAMPN and Charley Project sites with the identical but very limited info on Cory, there is nobody talking about him on any sites, no news articles on him that i can find.

I've learned that height should be taken with a grain of salt.

Concerning perceptions of height, weight and strength.Link could also apply to certain other threads.
http://www.ia.ucsb.edu/93106/2010/October/human-voice.html
The findings also answer a 30-year question in perceptual psychology, regarding why studies examining the ability to assess height and weight from the voice have had inconsistent results. Since the 1960’s, 16 separate published studies have looked at whether people can assess height and weight from the voice. The findings were split down the middle.
Noted Sell: “The problem is that they were looking at the wrong variables. Our research confirms that height and weight assessment is inconsistent.” In contrast, fighting ability and its single largest component — upper body strength — were more important to our ancestors, than height or body size per se. As a result, natural selection constructed a brain specialization designed to use multiple cues to assess upper body strength, and upper body strength to assess fighting ability.

Today's Star.
"Through the website, police also hope to harness the power of so-called “web sleuths” who search for missing persons as an online hobby".

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/883438--dead-people-with-no-names-in-ontario

Loam’s unit assists OPP front line investigators and other police services throughout Ontario with their missing persons and unidentified bodies cases.

The project, called The Resolve Initiative, began in May 2006 as a cooperative partnership between the Ontario Provincial Police, the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario and the British Columbia Coroners Service.

Loam maintains an internal database to compare missing persons and unidentified remains in addition to the public website where tips are received from the public on posted cases and those tips are forwarded to the investigators.

“Some of these may be bodies and some may be just skeletal remains,” Loam said.

Through the website, police also hope to harness the power of so-called “web sleuths” who search for missing persons as an online hobby.

Loam says that since Project Resolve was launched, 10 bodies have been identified, along with 35 missing persons.
More to this article!

Sorry 3 in a row
Man dies from caffeine overdose
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2010/10/30/15889876.html
By QMI Agency

The caffeine powder was purchased online. (Shutterstock)

A 23-year-old British man died after ingesting two spoonfuls of caffeine powder that had the same potency as 70 cans of energy drinks.

An inquest over the April death of Michael Lee Bedford from Mansfield, in central England, was held on Friday where Bedford's friends said they saw him take "spoonfuls of white powder" that was given to him by a friend and wash it down with an energy drink at a party, reports the Nottingham Post. Fifteen minutes after taking the powder, "He was puking up blood and he was sweating really bad," said one friend.

The packet of caffeine powder was purchased online for $5.38 and instructed users to take no more than one sixteenth of a teaspoon

Thanks, I was just about to post that same article about the caffeine overdose. NOT a pleasant way to die.

Just wanted to ask if at any point I had blown the margins in this thread. It looks perfectly okay in my screen, but wanted to make sure, because I have font set at the smallest size.

Please do let me know if that is the case, so I will make smaller images in the future.
Thanks!

Not sure if this site has been posted before,but it gives details about Costa Rica and certain tourists groups.Also strange comments about strange missing persons case.
http://doingcostarica.blogspot.com/2010/07/david-gimelfarb-missing-michael-dixon.html

Also, this link deals with people missing in Costa Rica.

Now, Costa Rica is looking for a 33 year old French-Canadian named Kim Paris who suddenly dropped off the face of the earth, also last week.

http://missingamericans.ning.com/profiles/blogs/a-mustread-for-travelers-to

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/09/20/montreal-woman-missing-in-costa-rica.html

Given that Pepe Jeans are made in the UK and that his other jeans were made in Italy, maybe it would help to have a second look at missing European men.

Are there any good databases for this? So far, I haven't been able to find anything

I wonder if BS might have been involved in some way with expanding the Pepe brand in 2001?
The clothing trade would require one to wear trendy designer glasses, possibly diet ect., a fashionista type, might even collect laundry bags from hotels...

The following year, 1998, Pepe Jeans USA was bought by Tommy Hilfiger Corp., just as the division planned an expansion of its women's denim collection and added styles to Tommy Jeans for men and boys. In 2001 Pepe Group Plc., sans its American subsidiary Pepe Jeans USA, announced plans for stores to open in Los Angeles, Miami, and New York carrying Pepe denim, outerwear, and accessories for both sexes. Though the company was already established in London, elsewhere in Europe and in Latin America, these were the company's first U.S. stores. Pepe clothes were successfully sold in American specialty and department stores, but as Pepe executive Jonathan Cea told David Grant Caplan of Women's Wear Daily (19 April 2001), opening the firm's own shops was "the best form of advertising. It solidifies you as a brand."

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/pepe-1#ixzz1FryDlCBo

I am a bit confused as to why this man, whom I previously suggested as a match, is now listed as missing in 2003, yet when I click on the image, it says 2001. I wonder how many IUD's are missed due to small but important detail changes and translation ect.
http://translate.google.ca/translat...quebec&hl=en&rlz=1T4ACEW_en___CA359&prmd=ivns
Disappearance of Raymond Carey 1 er juin 2003 1 June 2003

Raymond Carey (40 ans au moment de la disparition) n'a pas été revu depuis le 10 janvier 2001. Raymond Carey (40 years at the time of disappearance) has not been seen since January 10, 2001. Il habitait sur la rue Saint-Jean, à l'Ange-Gardien, et travaillait comme gérant du bar le Château du sexe, situé sur la rue Sainte-Catherine, à Montréal. He lived on rue Saint-Jean, L'Ange-Gardien, and worked as bar manager of the Chateau sex, located on rue Sainte-Catherine, Montreal. La voiture qu'utilisait le disparu, une Toyota Camry 2000 de couleur verte, a été retrouvée dans un stationnement intérieur au 1199 Peel, à Montréal. Than using the car disappeared, a 2000 Toyota Camry green, was found in a parking garage at 1199 Peel, Montreal.

Description physique Physical Description

1,75 m 1.75 m
82 kg 82 kg
Cheveux bruns Brown hair
Yeux bleus Blue eyes
Parle le français et l'anglais Speaks French and English
Voir la liste de toutes les Personnes disparues au Québec

I wonder how many IUD's are missed due to small but important detail changes and translation ect.
No, no, no dotr, it has nothing to do with the translation....will try to explain, kinda hard for me to do, but hopefully you will understand:

If you click on the following link, and go to the oldest pages, you will notice that Page 7 is the last page (at this moment), and is also the one page that contains Raymond Carey's case, right?

link here: http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.sq.gouv.qc.ca/personnes-disparues/personnes-disparues-surete-du-quebec.jsp&ei=rFN2Te6kHOGJ0QH7yLjZBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CD0Q7gEwAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmissing%2Bpersons%2Bquebec%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ACEW_en___CA359%26prmd%3Divns

Notice that the list ends in 2003....so this could mean that was the date the page was updated or the entry done .... it does not mean that is the date of disappearance.

Now, if you read the description (in both French or in English) you will notice that the year of Raymond Carey's disappearance is 2001 :)
Hope this helps

In case it is still not clear, here is the description:
French:
Disparition de Raymond Carey
Raymond Carey

1er juin 2003 <-- ignore this date, notice that neither day, month, nor year match the date of disappearance (compare to what is in red below)

Raymond Carey (40 ans au moment de la disparition) n'a pas été revu depuis le 10 janvier 2001. Il habitait sur la rue Saint-Jean, à l'Ange-Gardien, et travaillait comme gérant du bar le Château du sexe, situé sur la rue Sainte-Catherine, à Montréal. La voiture qu'utilisait le disparu, une Toyota Camry 2000 de couleur verte, a été retrouvée dans un stationnement intérieur au 1199 Peel, à Montréal.http://www.sq.gouv.qc.ca/personnes-disparues/raymond-carey.jsp

English:
Disappearance of Raymond Carey

1 June 2003 <--ignore this date, this seems to be the date this info was posted

Raymond Carey (40 years at the time of disappearance) has not been seen since January 10, 2001. He lived on rue Saint-Jean, L'Ange-Gardien, and worked as bar manager of the Chateau sex, located on rue Sainte-Catherine, Montreal. Than using the car disappeared, a 2000 Toyota Camry green, was found in a parking garage at 1199 Peel, Montreal.

Hope it is much clear now .... if you still have questions, just let me know :)

P.S.: by the way I didn't do the translation...that is how it comes up with Google translation, but the point I was trying to make is that TRANSLATION did NOT change the date (year).

Thanks Hazel! I guess there are so many iud's that keeping them all "under one roof" and current, is difficult and complex. The language translation was not a problem, but sometimes height and weight and the layout of some sites can be tricky...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewpcg77
Back