Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Scarpelli on Twitter

"I’m about 6 km from where Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod’s bodies were found. It’s too dangerous to get there by foot. A local can be heard in this video describing the area."

Interesting video at the link. Gives some perspective on how difficult this search must have been for the RCMP.

It's less than half a km from a road. That's a really weird thing for him to say. Unless they were found on the other side of the river?

Now let's see how long it take for the first movie to go into production...will make for quite a script.

Except the only ones who could have written the script are dead.
Perhaps they have documented their murders/escape, providing some insight into this very sad affair.

I don't understand- the RCMP claimed to have "searched 11,000 sq. km", but the bodies were found only 8 km from the burned out car?
They searched much of this vast area using heat-detecting technology in the Hercules. If they had been dead shortly after the RAV4 fire, there probably wouldn't have been any heat.

I don't understand- the RCMP claimed to have "searched 11,000 sq. km", but the bodies were found only 8 km from the burned out car?
The wide area search was for live fugitives. The bodies were found in dense bush. Objects found Friday, bodies found today just 1km away, so we get the idea how difficult such searches are.

Here, Medical Examiners and Coroners are often the same. So, good to know.

Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner

All I'm interested in is whether cause of death will be public (and am confident that the people who politely answered that question know what they are talking about it).

I assume the Coroner who eventually determines manner/cause of death be from the same jurisdiction.

They are the same in Manitoba but there are different functions. Right now an autopsy has been ordered to determine cause of death.

Mho
I feel the suspects left items on the spot so police could find their bodies.
I think k and b knew they would never return to the items
In a way maybe their decision to leave items behind knowing they were going to die. Was for their family and the victims families
A closure

They searched much of this vast area using heat-detecting technology in the Hercules. If they had been dead shortly after the RAV4 fire, there probably wouldn't have been any heat.

What about all the officers allocated to the area to search on foot? The ones walking up and down the train tracks and the roads?

Did they hear the sounds of the manhunt? Were they still operating under the determination to avoid capture at all costs--even their lives? Did one or both make it through the rainy night? What would they have said to each other?

I've also wondered about that. What kind of conversations did they have during all those hours of their very long drive across the continent, for that matter? What could you talk about on a road trip after killing three people? Did they not realize just how huge the search effort would be and decided to end it when they realized just how f-ed they were?

The victims and families of the victims deserve justice. I feel that they got it--these fugitives were hated and hunted to the last minute of their lives, and their end was not a pleasant one. And, the families of these teens deserve closure. They too, have gotten that--rather than having to endure more days, weeks, years of wondering if their sons are alive, dead, hurt, hungry...All these hurting families, at least now their healing can begin.

Agreed. I think they got their punishment. They most likely died a terrifying, lonely, unpleasant death, completely alone in the world. They missed out on so much of life. I doubt, being out there, that they felt their decisions were worth it in the end.

And also now the families of the victims won't have to deal with years of them going through a trial, which would have happened if they were found alive. And while it must be really hard for their families, at least they don't have to experience a lifetime of worrying about them in prison (because I doubt they would fare well in prison) and having a spotlight shone on their families forever through the trial and any developments in their incarceration.

What good can come out of this? Maybe, just maybe, it will cause one parent to try to do better by his or her child. Be there for them. Take an interest in them, their hobbies, their friends. Teach them to respect and love their own life, and the lives of all other beings. No, it will not prevent all events like this from happening--but it might make the difference for one lonely teen teetering on the edge of making a very bad decision.

Well said. It's inspired me to try to be a better person. This week I started volunteering at a food pantry and needle exchange. It's not much but I feel like this whole case has reminded me of the bigger questions in life, and what it means to have a meaningful life. Even if you're not the most successful, wealthy, confident, popular, etc. person, or any of those other societal markers of a "good life," I think we all have to do what we can to fight against all the dark s*** in the world.

I feel great sorrow for all the victims in this case.

I don't normally have much empathy for the accused (if any), but maybe it's the mother in me - I can't help but also feel sorrow for these 2 pitiful boys (to me they are indeed boys) - they not only wasted their own lives, but, they pointlessly inflicted great harm on their own families, friends, community, country at large, and also an international community of travelers.

It is indeed the worst possible tragedy.

WG
I am feeling the same. I felt so saddened and I really wasn't expecting to feel that way. I think being a mother and picturing the two boys (to me they are also just boys) huddled together in the bush it just kinda hit me. Thank you for your post. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way.

The wide area search was for live fugitives. The bodies were found in dense bush. Objects found Friday, bodies found today just 1km away, so we get the idea how difficult such searches are.

Monday was a civic holiday in Manitoba, so the weekend was a long weekend. Do we know if any searching was done between Friday and Tuesday?

I am very curious as to what the items that were found that caused RCMP to release a statement that they no longer believe that KM and BS are a threat to the public any longer. I want to know why that key piece of evidence narrowed down the search. Was it a gnawed off leg some animal was eating? Some suicide note? BS’s suit? I’m way too curious.

Is there a link to the BC RCMP press conference at 3pm?

That's what I was wondering too. "9 km along the river" implies the items were scattered is what I'm thinking. Makes me think they were in the boat and it overturned.

If the items were all in one location, then that's a different story.
I went to the Press Release and it is worded quite different from the tweet."On August 2, 2019, RCMP located several items on the shoreline, approximately 9 km from where the burnt vehicle was located. RCMP have confirmed that these items are directly linked to the suspects."

Or one died and the other remained with him until he left too. I am just so saddened by this news. If I were the parents of Lucas or Chynna, or the family members of Prof. Dyck, this would be a relief but also make it worse...the never knowing and the senselessness of it all. Rest in peace (or "live it up") Lucas and Chynna and Prof. Dyck. Many, many hearts will always be with you. To the families of the boys, may you find peace again some day.

Just a hunch, but I think RCMP have a great deal of information from the houses, computers, etc. Without a trial, I don't know how much of it will be available to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee