Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of things people aren't taking into consideration. It isn't known when these two even left Port Alberni. It could have been anywhere from early morning to mid-afternoon. It's 1 1/2 hour drive, not including possible delays going through a provincial park. It's summertime, so a lot of traffic going through. Then once they get to the ferry terminal in Nanaimo, there are more delays. A truck and camper would classify them as oversized so there would only be limited spots on the ferry that they would fit. Then keep in mind it's summertime, a Friday when people are leaving the island to go home or on vacation. So they likely had to wait for 1 to 2 sailing times which are 1 1/2 hours each. So it's likely they might have to wait 3 hours before even getting on the ferry. Add in the ferry time. They would have just been getting into Vancouver by supper time.

They'd likely stop for something to eat, gas up, and plan where they were going to stay the night. That'd probably take another hour or two. Factor in Vancouver traffic. It's hectic during supper rush, and to drive across the city to Hope, BC which is really the point, to the many possible routes they could have taken up north. That'd be another couple hours there. By this time it's the end of the day.

They were driving a truck, which I looked up and has the terrible fuel economy. Probably need to fill up every 300 kilometres are so. They'd likely stop for gas, bathroom break, and a snack every 3 hours. That adds on 1/2 hour minimum each time. They are tall guys. Kam is 6'4 and I'd estimate Bryer even an inch or two taller then Kam at 6'6. They'd likely make several stops to just stretch. Add in that they were travelling with a camper trailer, which in its self is heavy, so I doubt they were speeding or going excessively fast. I'd say they likely only driven no more than 800km to 900km on the 13th. On the fourteenth, it's possible they could have driven upward to 1000 kilometres all snack breaks, stopping for the gas, bathroom breaks, and stretching they might have reached Junction 37 Services, which is really the point that makes the most sense. It is a direct route to Whitehorse one direction, or Alberta the other. It would have likely been late at night if they had driven all that way. But I have a feeling that they stopped a couple of hours earlier and drove the rest of the way on the fifteenth. I think considering they were seen on July 18th in Jade City which is a direct route from Whitehorse. They are more likely to have driven to Whitehorse. I had looked up the job market in Whitehorse and there isn't a lot there for unskilled workers so they left.

While we can speculate all we want, the RCMP will know when the two left Port Alberni, which ferry they took, and where along their route the two were on what time and date. A timeline of B&K’s escapades has already been stated as a component of the RCMPs investigation.

Below is the link to BCs traffic cams including Vancouver Island, Highway 37 (Dease Lake) and Northern Highway 97 (Alaskan Highway). Traffic cams are one of the investigative tools used by police when tracing the route of a particular vehicle because they’re able to review the prior footage. Otherwise the RCMP mentioned they’d also obtained dashcam footage. Aside from that they have other route tracing means at their disposal such as cellphone tracking, wifi signons, possibly google mapping, verified sightings and who knows what else.

There’s not even the slightest possibility the RCMP named K&B armed and dangerous suspects in the murder of L&C without first determining they were in the immediate proximity when the murders occurred during night of July 14th/15th. JMO

DriveBC Northern Region Cams

While we can speculate all we want, the RCMP will know when the two left Port Alberni, which ferry they took, and where along their route the two were on what time and date. A timeline of B&K’s escapades has already been stated as a component of the RCMPs investigation.

Below is the link to BCs traffic cams including Vancouver Island, Highway 37 (Dease Lake) and Northern Highway 97 (Alaskan Highway). Traffic cams are one of the investigative tools used by police when tracing the route of a particular vehicle because they’re able to review the prior footage. Otherwise the RCMP mentioned they’d also obtained dashcam footage. Aside from that they have other route tracing means at their disposal such as cellphone tracking, wifi signons, possibly google mapping, verified sightings and who knows what else.

There’s not even the slightest possibility the RCMP named K&B armed and dangerous suspects in the murder of L&C without first determining they were in the immediate proximity when the murders occurred during night of July 14th/15th. JMO

DriveBC Northern Region Cams
Can you please provide an MSM article (or an official RCMP statement) that states the RCMP named K&B "armed and dangerous suspects in the murders of L&C"? Thanks in advance.

Edit: nevermind, I found it https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manhunt-homicide-suspects-bc-manitoba-1.5222924

Last edited:
Can you please provide an MSM article (or an official RCMP statement) that states the RCMP named K&B "armed and dangerous suspects in the murders of L&C"? Thanks in advance.

Edit: nevermind, I found it https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manhunt-homicide-suspects-bc-manitoba-1.5222924

That’s right, on July 23 their status changed from missing to suspects.

“Saskatchewan RCMP say Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky were seen in Meadow Lake on Sunday, and that the two are considered to be armed and dangerous.

Previously considered to be missing, they are now suspects in the murder of a young couple and the death of an unidentified man in northern B.C., the RCMP said Tuesday.”
Murder suspects spotted in Meadow Lake on Sunday, RCMP say

Some touching info in this article about Lucas and Chynna (BBM):

"By early January, though, he’d exhausted his 90 days in the United States, as allotted by the visa waiver program. So he moved to Fort Nelson, B.C., and took the ranch job. The way they saw it, he’d be 3,000 miles from her, but a hell of a lot closer than Australia.

A skilled mechanic, he fixed the ranch vehicles. When he coaxed a blue 1985 Econoline van to turn over again, his bosses were so impressed they gave it to him. He and Chynna came up with a plan for it: They would take a two-week vacation in July, just the two of them, driving and camping in northern Canada."

So how is it, they wonder, that most of the stories miss the important parts — Chynna and Lucas? How is it that their families can talk about them for two months, but now when a mother puts her daughter’s name into a web search, the first thing she sees are the faces of the men who killed her? How could someone who lived like Chynna lived be remembered more for how she died?

upload_2019-9-24_21-40-30.png

The world knows Chynna Deese because of how she died. Now her family wants to make sure we remember how she lived.

"By early January, though, he’d exhausted his 90 days in the United States, as allotted by the visa waiver program. So he moved to Fort Nelson, B.C., and took the ranch job. The way they saw it, he’d be 3,000 miles from her, but a hell of a lot closer than Australia.

A skilled mechanic, he fixed the ranch vehicles. When he coaxed a blue 1985 Econoline van to turn over again, his bosses were so impressed they gave it to him. He and Chynna came up with a plan for it: They would take a two-week vacation in July, just the two of them, driving and camping in northern Canada."

So how is it, they wonder, that most of the stories miss the important parts — Chynna and Lucas? How is it that their families can talk about them for two months, but now when a mother puts her daughter’s name into a web search, the first thing she sees are the faces of the men who killed her? How could someone who lived like Chynna lived be remembered more for how she died?

View attachment 206211

The world knows Chynna Deese because of how she died. Now her family wants to make sure we remember how she lived.

"On Thursday of this week, the Canadian police will hold another press conference. They’ve told Sheila that it’s just an announcement that they have enough to formally charge the suspects. "

Wait, what? How can they charge them if they're dead?

But also, I guess those gun ballistics worked out....

"On Thursday of this week, the Canadian police will hold another press conference. They’ve told Sheila that it’s just an announcement that they have enough to formally charge the suspects. "

I guess they have to have those formalities for the inquest/report perhaps. I guess we'll find out something more Thursday.

I guess they have to have those formalities for the inquest/report perhaps. I guess we'll find out something more Thursday.

I wonder if this means the report is coming out. The RCMP said they would release the information to the families and then the public. It sounds like they released the information to the families (or as much as they wanted to know). Despite waiting seven weeks for this report, I still don't feel prepared to read it....

That caught me by surprise too.

I enjoyed reading about Chynna's life though. Reading the story of a beautiful life taken from a women who had so much to give, just reaffirms my belief that we need to know WHY Chynna or anyone else died.

I sometimes feel guilty because we spend more time here talking about the suspects. But to be honest, I live in B.C. and have children just a few years older than KM and BS.

I come here because I want to know why this happened and maybe prevent my future grandchildren someday doing the same thing. I have a strong need to know what went wrong in this whole event. Was there a trigger the rest of us can avoid?

Thank you for the link @Lalalacasbah. Chynna sounds like a wonderful person and it's nice to read those memories by her family to remember her by.

Last edited:
5 AM insomnia post:

I noticed something...on Kam's Cathulu shirt it says "Is this a cat or a monster or...is it both?" Like...doesn't that seem like a huge metaphor for this entire case?! Is he a sweet, kind, funny, cheerful, shy teenager, or a cold-blooded killer? Nobody who knew him can reconcile the two. If he wasn't consciously sending a message with that....

Like I really do feel like their outfits had some huge symbolism behind them of their entire dynamic and everything. I can't imagine it was coincidental. But were they even aware of it, or was it subconscious?

That being said I'm still going back and forth on whether it was planned. I thought at first that it couldn't have been planned for notoriety because the circumstances were so random, they didn't publicize it, like uploading videos on social media or something, and they didn't leave murdery "Easter eggs" beforehand on social media, and in fact had very little social media presence. But now I'm wondering, what if it was?

If they had put everything on social media, people would have cared about it for maybe a week. In 2019 the best way to get attention is to NOT put everything out there, and leave just enough of a breadcrumb trail of WTF to keep people guessing. Maybe they created this weird journey with all kinds of bizarre clues and inconsistencies left behind on purpose. We know Bryer liked to troll people, and that would be trolling the entire world. Like "Where are we? Are we in the woods, are we alive or dead, did we escape? Was this planned or not? Are we shy, kind teenagers, or cold-blooded killers?" People thinking they were actually survivalists hiding out in the wilderness, or that they stole another car and were in another province. And if that was their plan...they succeeded. Here we are over two months later.

It seems like a lot of the things they did could be interpreted as creating some mythology of some kind, and many things seemed like the opposite of evading detection.

Burning the cars, of course.

Their memorable outfits, almost like they were trying to have an "iconic" image. I don't know how conscious they were of this, but their outfits almost seem like a symbolic representation of the charismatic and normative leader, and dysfunctional and odd follower dynamic, that is most commonly present in killer dyads. As I said before, it was like Kam was the normal one that nobody would ever suspect ("Is this a cat or a monster or...is it both?") and it was like Bryer was his "soldier" or "mercenary" following behind. I just can't see how their outfit choices could be an accident, in context.

When they got stuck in the mud and Kam told the guy "Our parents told us to go on a long joyride"...that sounds like it could be a line out of a movie. There's a reason why people were saying "when's the movie coming out?" during the manhunt. So many things were cinematic in this case.

The fact that they recorded not just one goodbye video, but an entire series of videos -- clearly they were conscious of the fact that people wanted to know what they experienced. Honestly the multiple videos detail is what got me thinking maybe it was planned. I was immediately like "2k19 Basement Tapes, after the fact edition."

The items left in the boat, which I wonder if they left there on purpose as a marker so that the RCMP would find their remains. It seems like they expected their remains to be found, since they made the goodbye video.

Also this is unsubstantiated, but multiple people on Websleuths have said they saw that when they were missing, Bryer's Instagram photo was one of just himself, and sometime before the 22nd it changed to the butterfly one with Kam. And we've talked extensively over the meaning of that picture.

And then we have to consider the timing of Bryer's dad's book being released, and if that had any effect on Bryer, like maybe he felt he was taking back the narrative of his life after it was co-opted, or writing an "ending" to the story, or getting revenge on the world that he thought failed him. Or maybe they even factored his dad into it...maybe Bryer knew him well enough to know he would be a "loose cannon," do some memorable interviews, release information from the book, and overall provide tons of fodder to the media. The timing of the book just seems way too coincidental. It was supposed to be released on the day they went into the woods.

The circumstances of their crime were so random though, it's hard to think of it as being planned. Like, they had no idea they'd come across a broken-down van on the side of the road. But the whole thing seems so dramatic and cinematic. It's like it was all done with a film adaptation in mind.

I don't know what to think.

View attachment 206211

so this reply is off the topic you were talking about, but that pic is important. in that pic that is a manual tansmission gear shift, the van we have looked at that was auctioned says auto.
1986 CHEV BONAVENTURE VAN
we have done a lot of looking at the van and what we thought we knew may not be accurate.

Last edited:
5 AM insomnia post:

I noticed something...on Kam's Cathulu shirt it says "Is this a cat or a monster or...is it both?" Like...doesn't that seem like a huge metaphor for this entire case?! Is he a sweet, kind, funny, cheerful, shy teenager, or a cold-blooded killer? Nobody who knew him can reconcile the two. If he wasn't consciously sending a message with that....

Like I really do feel like their outfits had some huge symbolism behind them of their entire dynamic and everything. I can't imagine it was coincidental. But were they even aware of it, or was it subconscious?

That being said I'm still going back and forth on whether it was planned. I thought at first that it couldn't have been planned for notoriety because the circumstances were so random, they didn't publicize it, like uploading videos on social media or something, and they didn't leave murdery "Easter eggs" beforehand on social media, and in fact had very little social media presence. But now I'm wondering, what if it was?

If they had put everything on social media, people would have cared about it for maybe a week. In 2019 the best way to get attention is to NOT put everything out there, and leave just enough of a breadcrumb trail of WTF to keep people guessing. Maybe they created this weird journey with all kinds of bizarre clues and inconsistencies left behind on purpose. We know Bryer liked to troll people, and that would be trolling the entire world. Like "Where are we? Are we in the woods, are we alive or dead, did we escape? Was this planned or not? Are we shy, kind teenagers, or cold-blooded killers?" People thinking they were actually survivalists hiding out in the wilderness, or that they stole another car and were in another province. And if that was their plan...they succeeded. Here we are over two months later.

It seems like a lot of the things they did could be interpreted as creating some mythology of some kind, and many things seemed like the opposite of evading detection.

Burning the cars, of course.

Their memorable outfits, almost like they were trying to have an "iconic" image. I don't know how conscious they were of this, but their outfits almost seem like a symbolic representation of the charismatic and normative leader, and dysfunctional and odd follower dynamic, that is most commonly present in killer dyads. As I said before, it was like Kam was the normal one that nobody would ever suspect ("Is this a cat or a monster or...is it both?") and it was like Bryer was his "soldier" or "mercenary" following behind. I just can't see how their outfit choices could be an accident, in context.

When they got stuck in the mud and Kam told the guy "Our parents told us to go on a long joyride"...that sounds like it could be a line out of a movie. There's a reason why people were saying "when's the movie coming out?" during the manhunt. So many things were cinematic in this case.

The fact that they recorded not just one goodbye video, but an entire series of videos -- clearly they were conscious of the fact that people wanted to know what they experienced. Honestly the multiple videos detail is what got me thinking maybe it was planned. I was immediately like "2k19 Basement Tapes, after the fact edition."

The items left in the boat, which I wonder if they left there on purpose as a marker so that the RCMP would find their remains. It seems like they expected their remains to be found, since they made the goodbye video.

Also this is unsubstantiated, but multiple people on Websleuths have said they saw that when they were missing, Bryer's Instagram photo was one of just himself, and sometime before the 22nd it changed to the butterfly one with Kam. And we've talked extensively over the meaning of that picture.

And then we have to consider the timing of Bryer's dad's book being released, and if that had any effect on Bryer, like maybe he felt he was taking back the narrative of his life after it was co-opted, or writing an "ending" to the story, or getting revenge on the world that he thought failed him. Or maybe they even factored his dad into it...maybe Bryer knew him well enough to know he would be a "loose cannon," do some memorable interviews, release information from the book, and overall provide tons of fodder to the media. The timing of the book just seems way too coincidental. It was supposed to be released on the day they went into the woods.

The circumstances of their crime were so random though, it's hard to think of it as being planned. Like, they had no idea they'd come across a broken-down van on the side of the road. But the whole thing seems so dramatic and cinematic. It's like it was all done with a film adaptation in mind.

I don't know what to think.
Great post. Love the metaphor reference on Kam's Cathulhu shirt!

there has been previous discussion about black marks on the pavement. can someone point me toward a pic of that?

View attachment 206211

Morning tears with my coffee. I have no words, only sorrow for this amazingly beautiful, free-spitited couple and their grieving families.
RIP Chynna & Lucas

I wonder if this means the report is coming out. The RCMP said they would release the information to the families and then the public. It sounds like they released the information to the families (or as much as they wanted to know). Despite waiting seven weeks for this report, I still don't feel prepared to read it....

It doesn’t seem the information has been released to the families yet so perhaps a Thursday PC, if there is one, will be to announce the investigation is complete.

BBM

“On Thursday of this week, the Canadian police will hold another press conference. They’ve told Sheila that it’s just an announcement that they have enough to formally charge the suspects. She knew that, though. What scares her to tears is whether the press conference will lead to the release of one of the videos or some other horrific detail.

If she had a choice, Sheila wouldn’t learn any more, but she can’t stand the idea of someone knowing more about her daughter than she does. British says that when the authorities come here, he’ll ask for everything. He doesn’t want to live in fear of being sideswiped by some unearthed video or report later in life....”

I was wondering whether the truck was diesel, it would save gas money. How much money they had and spent would be another question police would be looking at, IMO.
Yes, their truck was diesel. The diesel badge is visible on the photos of the truck shown in the news articles.
The broken down van and the RAV4 were both gasoline.

View attachment 206211

What a moving article .. it brought me to tears. I can't even imagine handling such a horrific nightmare with the grace and dignity of the Deese family.

View attachment 206211

That was lovely--thanks for sharing! All 3 of the victims in this case seem like such lovely, vibrant people. :( I loved that picture of Chynna exuberantly running toward the Pyramids when she was in Egypt. Seemed to perfectly capture her personality and how she lived life.

And that information about the press conference in there sure does sound like RCMP is wrapping up the investigation. Can't imagine they'd be returning Chynna's possessions to the family in October if the investigation wasn't winding down.

@NJSleuth91 excellent post above! I completely agree with your observation of Kam's t-shirt. I remember I made mention a few weeks ago he probably had a thing for cats, Pokemon and Cthulhu and that is a great interpretation of the shirt's little narrative. Is it something soft, cute and cuddly like a cat or is it a cold, slimy creature from the darkest depths of the sea like some Lovecraftian monster or could it be one disguised as the other. In other words; how Kam looked on the outside paired with how he felt on the inside. I made mention in a private message that Kam and Bryer almost making it to the Hudson Bay had this symbolic, Cthulhu-esque feel to it, like they were giving themselves over to the sea when they realized there was nowhere left to go. Interesting, they would go on to leave one sea (the Pacific) to die on another. I even wondered if they wanted to die on the shore and they intended on following the river to the Hudson Bay. I remember when we discovered they had made it to Sundance I had this vision of them being found dead together on the shore in Wapusk National Park South of Churchill. One more thing, seeing that final photo on Kam's Instagram from 2015, I got this overwhelming sense of loneliness and isolation, like that photo projected his future. Very sad all round for everyone. I'm with you on the conference tomorrow. If they do release the full report, I don't think I'm ready... Even if it isn't the official report and they just announce formal charges I'm still nervous what else might be revealed. But I have to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hiyaworld