Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
a response no longer needed since the person deleted their post.

Last edited:
On July 19, 2019, an autopsy was performed on Fowler and Deese. The pathologist concluded that Fowler and Deese both died of multiple gunshot wounds. It appears that the shooter(s) stood behind the victims for at least some of the shots. bbm

These details are shocking. :(

On July 19, 2019, an autopsy was performed on Fowler and Deese. The pathologist concluded that Fowler and Deese both died of multiple gunshot wounds. It appears that the shooter(s) stood behind the victims for at least some of the shots. bbm

These details are shocking. :(
I thank god the RCMP didn't go into how many in the public report. 'At Least Some' is enough to portray some inkling of their horror.

So what does Port Alberni do now? Will squadrons of psychs, social workers, educators, pediatricians, etc all descend on the citizens there and check out each teenager, each parent, each school, sit in on all the classes at the alternative school just to find out exactly what is being taught, dieticians in the school canteen to check out the calories, the proteins, ..

what happens now?

I'll say that I'm surprised I was so wrong about this case. But I gave it my fair assessment based on what evidence was originally shared. It took me a few hours to really let it sink in, but there are still a few things floating in my mind but doesn't change the evidence which was what I really needed to be convinced they were responsible.

A few things that came to mind is considering they said on the videos that they wanted to kill more people, why didn't they after the first three murders kill anyone else. Surely there had to be an opportunity. The video in its self I can't really comment on without seeing it. I mean look how many perspectives came out of the Meadow Lake footage. Hard to say what they were thinking or if they were joking or what based on a summary of the video.

Another weird thing is why would they drive up to La Ronge which leads to nowhere. Again it doesn't make sense, but a lot of their actions don't make sense to me. Burning their truck so close to their murder victim is the biggest what the moment there is.

Is it possible these two had a psychotic break? Maybe even a folie a deux.

I hope the families of the victims, including Kam and Bryer's family, are getting counselling and support. Because from the sounds of it, they didn't see this coming. The fact Kam shot Bryer before himself is surreal in a way.

So what does Port Alberni do now? Will squadrons of psychs, social workers, educators, pediatricians, etc all descend on the citizens there and check out each teenager, each parent, each school, sit in on all the classes at the alternative school just to find out exactly what is being taught, dieticians in the school canteen to check out the calories, the proteins, ..

what happens now?
I think an inquest should be done.

I think in their minds this was almost playing out like the video games they were immersed in. They had plenty of ammo, multiple weapons, tried to disguise a vehicle, killed to acquire different vehicles, and planned on hijacking a boat. They had no problem killing, they had done it many times before in their own little word. By no means am I am blaming gaming for this, but it seems to me that it was a game to them and they were the lead characters. Jmo.

That has been my theory all along. One of my son's friends, back in high school, became obsessed with Grand Theft Auto video game. His mom complained that it was all he did or even wanted to do. It was weird how he got so totally obsessed with it.

He stopped playing sports and let his grades slip and only saw friends who would come and play games with him. She was a single mom who couldn't really control the situation because she had to work and couldn't control what he did much of the time.

By the time he was 20, he had already been in 2 high speed pursuits by police. He was an idiot the way he allowed that fantasy turn into reality and wreck his life. He lost his job and his license was revoked and he went to jail. And he was proud of the pursuits---like it was a cool thing.

And he couldn't seem to understand it was not a game---it was like he stepped into a fantasy where he was living out the 'game' in the real world. His 2nd pursuit was on the tv news, in real time, and he was so thrilled to know that. It was a real accomplishment, in his crazy mind.

I know that it is not the same as a murder spree. But it is similar in my mind, in that the Canadian duo seemed to have gone off the deep end and lived their 'survivor' mission as if it was a video game world.

I may get laughed out of here but let me get something off my chest. As a child I grew up in Southern Manitoba. My Uncle headed up to Hudson Bay to fish with his relatives (once a year) I had No idea the road up there abruptly stops at Sundance, until this "manhunt". So I have to ask .. Did All you Canadians Really know that you cannot drive to Hudson Bay (before this case)? Yes I did take Geography a really, really long time ago :) Also for those from other Countries you may not know this "Canada is a huge country. Most of it is unfit for human habitation.
Canada's population is mostly very close to the US. Ninety percent of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border" ok done I hope I don't have to hang my head in shame and leave lol. If so I will blame it on age. Oh one more thing, had I been planning the trip they took, I would have figured out the road ends before I left home :)

I am born in New Brunswick, but grew up as an Army brat throughout Canada and Europe. Studying geology and geography at Mount Allison University I was 'somewhat' attuned to this but it certainly didn't come from my high school experience in the Canadian School system. I think all Canadians are aware of the fact that 90% of our population lives within that 100 mile zone of the US border; it's the rest of our great nation we don't know much about.

The God parents of one of my sons were posted to Churchill, Manitoba with the military and their stories of their time there, the terrain, their jaunts has led to the greatest of "my education" as it pertains to the locales involved here. That has all served to solidify that our First Nations and Indigenous persons are what made the 'solving' of this possible. They are one with their land - they know it, they live it and they love and respect it. I am thankful for Mr. Beardy. He is a hero in this and others get to sleep better through the night now because he has caused the 'outcome' and locations of these two to be finally determined.

In one of the reports iirc the burning truck was noted at 8:30am. How long before that was Prof Dyck murdered but strong possibility it was during the night or early morning, particularly as his wife said he often slept in his vehicle after driving long hours.

Possibly a young man tapping on his window would be enough to wake him up so he’d open the car door to see what he wanted. He was described as a pacifist, an educator, a kind-hearted man, not the sort who’d have any reason to expect trouble lurking at an isolated rest stop.
The report says they were seen at Kitwanga (the junction) around 11:30am that morning when Mr. Dyck's body was found, I did a distance and its a 5 plus drive from where the truck/body were found to Kitwanga.....so if they killed him it would likely have been between 5am and 6 or 6:30am ?

'Is it possible these two had a psychotic break? Maybe even a folie a deux.'

They didn't have a psychotic break, they were a psychotic break. It was what they were. It was what they lived and died as.

They were individually a folie a deux, one for themselves and one for public consumption. Together they made a folie au cinq, a combo of 4 , creating a fifth entity .

After reading the evidence in this report, I will stand by my previous comment, that the RCMP probably shared some of this info with Inspector Fowler. I think he was probably told that the same weapons were used in all 3 murders.

He came all that way to figure out what happened to his dead son, and I believe his fellow inspectors would have shared with him, what they could, to give him some assurance that the killers were known to them and were being hunted down.

I am born in New Brunswick, but grew up as an Army brat throughout Canada and Europe. Studying geology and geography at Mount Allison University I was 'somewhat' attuned to this but it certainly didn't come from my high school experience in the Canadian School system. I think all Canadians are aware of the fact that 90% of our population lives within that 100 mile zone of the US border; it's the rest of our great nation we don't know much about.

The God parents of one of my sons were posted to Churchill, Manitoba with the military and their stories of their time there, the terrain, their jaunts has led to the greatest of "my education" as it pertains to the locales involved here. That has all served to solidify that our First Nations and Indigenous persons are what made the 'solving' of this possible. They are one with their land - they know it, they live it and they love and respect it. I am thankful for Mr. Beardy. He is a hero in this and others get to sleep better through the night now because he has caused the 'outcome' and locations of these two to be finally determined.
So well stated!!!!!

After reading the evidence in this report, I will stand by my previous comment, that the RCMP probably shared some of this info with Inspector Fowler. I think he was probably told that the same weapons were used in all 3 murders.

He came all that way to figure out what happened to his dead son, and I believe his fellow inspectors would have shared with him, what they could, to give him some assurance that the killers were known to them and were being hunted down.
My office is just up the street from the Canadian Consulate in Sydney, and I reckon I saw Mr Fowler entering those premises yesterday, probably getting a special secured copy of the report , send by dip courier on the usual Friday Air Canada Vancouver-Sydney run. Getting special treatment , no doubt, as they , the RCMP would not want him dealing with this while everyone else was. He would need to be ready to deal with an AU press conference, which I am happy to say, he did, with his usual calm grace. Thanks to the RCMP .

This might make some people a bit fritzed and cranked, but Mrs and Mrs Deese, and Mrs Dyck would be treated exactly the same, except for the diplomatic bag and courier, I can guarantee that.

Well, apparently sleep is not happening for me tonight, so 4 AM insomnia post it is. Some random quotes from articles. I think the journalists got more information in their briefing.

RCMP say subjects of nationwide manhunt confessed to killing three people, planned to kill more | The Star

"The RCMP are still waiting on a coroner’s report for the exact date of death."

That's weird since it's been seven weeks but ok, I guess...(and if so that means toxicology didn't come out either).

"According to police documents, officials have “no indication” that Schmegelsky and McLeod belonged to any white supremacist groups."

Dead assailants recorded videos taking responsibility for three B.C. murders

"Deese and Fowler died of multiple gunshot wounds, with some appearing to have come from behind. There was no evidence of sexual assault."

Well, at least there's that...and as I said before, I think it would have been pretty messed up if there was evidence of sexual assault and the RCMP never said anything to warn the public while these guys were on the loose.

"On July 22, a witness who knew Schmegelsky and McLeod came forward to tell police he “believed the boys may have been involved in the murders.”"

So the witness was male. Who wants to bet it was one of their three other close friends Bryer's dad mentioned?

Also re-read the report and:
"On July 20, 2019, the Port Alberni RCMP conducted interviews with the McLeod and Schmegelsky families, who described them as good kids who were on a trip to northern British Columbia and Yukon to look for work. Furthermore, the family stated they sent photos of their trip via texts and shared that they had vehicle troubles. Their last contact with family was on July 17, 2019."

Not only did Bryer give his dad incorrect information about where they were going, but didn't contact him after that even though apparently they had at least one working phone and contacted other family members. I think Bryer had a lot of resentment about his dad's book that was supposed to come out July 22nd, and the timing of the trip wasn't coincidental.

I wonder what photos they sent...expect to see those on the Fifth Estate in a year....

Also what's with the trail of completely random items over a 50km radius around the Dease Lake scene? Any ideas?

All this time, I have been so baffled by posters who really, sincerely believed that K and B were not the killers of Chynna and Lucas, but never did any of them say why this belief was so concrete. Would any care to share that now? This is a genuine , respectful enquiry, absolutely no sarcasm or snark in it.

link please to the 'all reports' . There are none. AS sees life thru the prism of him being 'bullied' even though he has had to be restrained by law over years from bullying the mother of Bryer. See the record .

One order after another, which leads one to conclude he could not learn one simple basic , that bullying was unsuccessful.

Of course he is going to say his son was bullied, he probably will say that Lucas and Chynna and Prof Dyck bullied his son, it wont be long now.
"All the reports" - which discussed AS talking about BS referred to him being concerned that BS experienced bullying during an interview that was reported by multiple news sources. Here is one:
‘This is all preventable’: Father of B.C. murder suspect questions RCMP role in manhunt
There are multiple links to others throughout the threads here if you want to read others, or compare them.
I would also like to say there are MANY ways that a person can be a bully.

Last edited:
What I found interesting was the police report totally acknowledges Mr. Beardy's help while during that time period there was that other tour boat operator who was taking credit. Clearly from the RCMP it was all Beardy's help, not the tour boat guy (sry I forget his name...)
Was the other tour boat operator just saying that he saw one blue sleeping bag and that prompted the new search along there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member