Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“But before Manitoba, after they killed Deese and Fowler and before killing Dyck, the two did in fact cross the border into the Yukon on July 15, stopping at a gas station. According to police, Schmegelsky had hunted with his father in the area a number of times.”

Would Bryer's father be able to even get a PAL card with criminal harassment charges?

Wait, I have a question. That article mixed up Bryer and Kam twice. They said Bryer bought the gun with his PAL, but Kam was the one who did that. And they said Kam bought the gas can while wearing the cowboy hat, but that was Bryer. (It's called editing, people!)

So does that mean Kam was actually the one who hunted with his dad in the area, not Bryer? Because that makes way more sense for a number of reasons. a) I doubt Bryer's dad could get a gun license with his criminal and mental health history, b) Kam had a PAL and Bryer didn't, c) Bryer's dad didn't see Bryer that often, and was also homeless for most of the time they were in contact after age 16.

Well for starters, BS bought the jerry can and wore the cowboy hat, not KM as she states but where did she read this in the final report? Did I really miss this?

"According to police, Schmegelsky had hunted with his father in the area a number of times."
I don't know itsa Black Press newspaper chain (Conrad Black's) in southern BC near the US border. I have no clue where she got some of her comments from. The 2 red flags that popped out was the reference to Bryer having hunted in the Yukon many times with his dad, while dad said he never owned a gun etc. Could it be the reporter has that mixed up with Kam perhaps having hunted in the Yukon with his dad? Then the 6 different locations of evidence in relation to Mr. Dyck's murder.

I don't know itsa Black Press newspaper chain (Conrad Black's) in southern BC near the US border. I have no clue where she got some of her comments from. The 2 red flags that popped out was the reference to Bryer having hunted in the Yukon many times with his dad, while dad said he never owned a gun etc. Then the 6 different locations of evidence in relation to Mr. Dyck's murder.

The 6 different evidence locations was in the report.

However I think they mixed up Bryer and Kam in this article and Kam was actually the one who went hunting, for the reasons I described above.

I think some of this additional information was in the technical briefing, because there have been other details that came out in the news that weren't in the press conference or report.

He said he would never have anything to do with that, he would never give his son a real gun, he was adamant about that, it got quite a trot, in one of his interviews. He was utterly rejecting of that whole concept.

'no . no.. I wouldn't. '....[/QUOTE]
Exactly! I wonder if she has that part twisted up and in fact it was Kam McLeod who may have hunted up there with his dad.

I don't know itsa Black Press newspaper chain (Conrad Black's) in southern BC near the US border. I have no clue where she got some of her comments from. The 2 red flags that popped out was the reference to Bryer having hunted in the Yukon many times with his dad, while dad said he never owned a gun etc. Then the 6 different locations of evidence in relation to Mr. Dyck's murder.
The six different location thing doesn't mean that there was a very great distance between locations. I don't know if they moved the car from Prof's body, or moved the body from Profs car, probably will never know, but there is 2klms between them. ( by them I mean, at that point, there was the Profs Rav and their pickup truck thingy and then there was just a burnt out pickup truck thingy and the body back down the track. ) …..

maybe they traipsed back and forth, dropping stuff, why not? plenty of time, part of the job, maybe their truck conked out quicker than they thought.

I don't have any qualms about the 6 diff locations, at this point.

Last edited:
@LoisLane I feel you on this. I can agree Kam was perhaps doing some kind of minor role in his Dad's business at some point or growing up with it as a backdrop but I can't picture anything substantial. He may have even lost interest in it completely as he grew up and formed his own identity. I remember when we were kids, my Grandpa owned a "fur farm" (mink and fox) right down the road from our house. We used to help out and my brothers, the neighbor boy and I would all talk about how we were going to take it over when we got older. Obviously it was all just childhood fantasies. Then the business tanked in the early 90's and never recovered. In fact he had partnerships in Seattle and Toronto. Anyway, it was always there as a backdrop during our childhood and we helped out how we could in little roles. I guess, in a sense we were raised on it. Like it sounds ridiculous now, raising animals for fashion but at that time it was perfectly normal. Looking back on it now, I will always cherish that experience but I could never have done something like that for the rest of my life. What you said above though, I could see Kam having a similar experience growing up with his Dad's Barge Towing business, but ultimately it would never be for him.

P.S. Pardon my typo at the end of my original post there. It should have read; "Thanks, but nothing for me thank you."

I think the stats say that of family business only about 30% last a second generation. But I do understand what you say about having no interest in the family business. It sure is nice to have perks of cash flow though if it is doing well and the kids are part of profit sharing.

I’m not sure how lucrative or viable the barge business is in PA but for such a simple life and beautiful surroundings and a home on the lake he could have had an easy transition. Depending on the future of the port and whether business would boom (or sink) or evolve to bigger he could have benefited for a few more years I guess.

I have been curious whether BS and KM would access the boats to go camp off the shores. That would be the ultimate isolation and privacy (Island style) I bet.

Exactly! I wonder if she has that part twisted up and in fact it was Kam McLeod who may have hunted up there with his dad.

I think it has to be that. Plus Kam's family were the ones who were really outdoorsy, while I haven't heard anything about Bryer's other family members being much into outdoor activities. And I imagine a trip to the Yukon would require a fair bit of money, planning, etc. -- I can't really see Bryer's dad putting all that together considering he's homeless and living out of a van. I also remember reading somewhere that Bryer had never been off Vancouver Island before this.

But yeah that adds a new dimension onto it. Maybe part of Kam's mindset was a middle finger to his parents. And also maybe he got the idea for this whole trip from being in that area before and seeing how remote it was, the lack of police presence, that people sometimes parked on the side of the road overnight, etc. Maybe he came up with the plan in the first place.

Also that explains why Bryer's dad kept talking about "where did the guns come from?" Bryer had probably told him before that Kam and his family were into hunting, and that Kam had a gun license. I get the sense his dad was probably kind of anti-gun even before all this.

Wait, I have a question. That article mixed up Bryer and Kam twice. They said Bryer bought the gun with his PAL, but Kam was the one who did that. And they said Kam bought the gas can while wearing the cowboy hat, but that was Bryer. (It's called editing, people!)

So does that mean Kam was actually the one who hunted with his dad in the area, not Bryer? Because that makes way more sense for a number of reasons. a) I doubt Bryer's dad could get a gun license with his criminal and mental health history, b) Kam had a PAL and Bryer didn't, c) Bryer's dad didn't see Bryer that often, and was also homeless for most of the time they were in contact after age 16.

That makes more sense. I thought I had read or found some sort of connection to the Yukon with Kam’s family but I have yet to find that again.

Reporters are quick to correct errors if they are contacted about it.

No kidding!! She's recapping the final report and not even proofreading. Adding facts too I think.

I don't know itsa Black Press newspaper chain (Conrad Black's) in southern BC near the US border. I have no clue where she got some of her comments from. The 2 red flags that popped out was the reference to Bryer having hunted in the Yukon many times with his dad, while dad said he never owned a gun etc. Could it be the reporter has that mixed up with Kam perhaps having hunted in the Yukon with his dad? Then the 6 different locations of evidence in relation to Mr. Dyck's murder.

That was my reaction too. I went to look who the heck she was writing for. Black Press.

Wow, the reporting errors on this story are just really bad sometimes.

Last edited:
1. Leonard Dyck’s body was moved after he was killed.

This is one of the headings of a paragraph, but it doesn't expand on this claim at all in the paragraph. Which is not to say it isn't true. It just doesn't elucidate any further.

The Kam truck, 2klms away, I always thought they passed Prof Dycks car, and then parked their camper while a bit of last minute choreography and fetishes were agreed upon, and then stealthed up back to the Prof's van, crouching and zig zagging, doing all the ditzy stuff, taking aim, honing in on birdcalls, being a complete surprise, no warning sound of their vehicle to herald their approach. Real Sly Stallone stuff, ... big man stuff.

And , obviously , they got up close to the Prof. Bruises, burns, one doesn't have those marks on one's body if your protagonist is keeping his distance. .. that's close up work. … what a pair of piddly little twerps, like human tarantulas.

Because they had the weaponry, the close -in assault on Prof Dyck was a choice. It was unnecessary . Superfluous. A bit extra.. Perhaps, even , a requirement.

Maybe they did go back intending to 'kill more people' as they'd announced, but saw police patrolling and ran back to where they felt safe. I recall, in the first days a large contingent of police were searching around the abandoned hydro construction camp out that way.

Then, I wonder how much and what kind of food they had. I've gone backpacking and it's hard to carry enough food for more than a few days, even when it's freeze-dried and you have a lightweight cooking stove, fuel, pots and easy access to water. These guys were big eaters, I think.

Then there was the bugs.

Then, as Hackett said, the weather turned nasty after a few days: cold and rainy. Their sleeping bags may have gotten wet (I doubt they had a tent). They were sleeping on bare ground, I bet. And again, the bugs.

This was nothing like camping as most people experience it. No hot showers, roaring fires, s'mores. Miserable.

The crazy part is, they were probably experiencing what 'real' soldiers would have experienced during war - cold, wet, hungry, umcomfortable, no sound sleep... so much for their militia idea.

I can't help but say... GOT is indeed violent (and I hate violent movies) but it had crazy good plot and excellent, solid characters. A little Shakespearean in a way. That is all :)

I have never watched and quite often I am the only one in the room who has no idea what is being talked about. GOT fans are die hard and I think that’s cool.

For me it’s just too late just too much to catch up on. Although I did tell my son that when he is old enough to watch it I will join him.

Sleuthers check this article out look at #1 - 6 different locations for his crime scene. Also #4 - Didn't Alan Schmegelsky say he never owned a gun?

1. Leonard Dyck’s body was moved after he was killed
On July 19, just before 8:30 a.m., a highway worker notified a Dease Lake RCMP officer responding to a burnt truck along Highway 37 that he had found a dead man at a highway pullout just two kilometres south.

The man would later be identified as Dyck, a 56-year-old botanist lecturer from UBC in Vancouver. Police would also later determine from a recovered licence plate that the burnt out white Dodge truck belonged to McLeod.

While the BC Coroners Service could not confirm the exact day that Dyck was killed, police do know that McLeod and Schmegelsky killed Deese and Fowler on July 15 – 546 kilometres, or a 7.5 hour drive, away from where Dyck’s body was discovered.

On July 20, as police started processing the crime scene near Dease Lake, the coroner confirmed that Dyck’s body had been moved from an unknown location. Out of consideration for his family, police won’t be releasing any details about Dyck’s death, other than he was shot with a SKS semi-automatic rifle, as well as suffered injuries to his head and body, including bruises and burn marks.

A total of six scenes were found by police in connection to the fugitives and Dyck within a 50-kilometre radius of where the lecturer was found. Dyck’s silver RAV4 would not be found at any of these locations, as McLeod and Schmegelsky stole it and drove it 3,000 kilometres to Gillam, Man.

SBM - Oh my, that is disturbing. So sounds like Leonard was a bit of their hostage type thing? Or was this after he was deceased?

If he was alive, they must've wanted something from him, perhaps trying to coax it out of him hence the beating? Maybe Leonard didn't want to hand something over that might be connected to his family at home.

I have never watched and quite often I am the only one in the room who has no idea what is being talked about. GOT fans are die hard and I think that’s cool.

For me it’s just too late just too much to catch up on. Although I did tell my son that when he is old enough to watch it I will join him.

You will love it when the time comes if it's not outdated hehe... When I started watching the first season, I was like - what's the big deal, it's not THAT good. Then by the end of it I was hooked lol... No pressure though ;) It was harshly violent, I turned my head tons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia