CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would wager heading to the coast would be a terrible plan. That is polar bear country, and travel on foot is not at all advisable. You can't drive from PR 280 to Churchill, and stowing away on a cargo ship seems exceedingly unlikely.

It is unlikely, but the suspects are not necessarily rational. It's interesting to note that Port Churchill is about to become a little busier, as this article in the Financial Post, published earlier in the week, attests.

One thing that has struck me is there was a pretty steady stream of verified sightings of them before Monday. Since then, nothing official or confirmed. I always found it strange that they were willing to kill 3 people but would go into stores and businesses afterward and apparently act normal and certainly not be violent. Of course, this was before they were publicly identified as suspects, but for a duo on a spree-killing, it's just sort of a weird disconnect.

It seems like their MO is to kill isolated travelers on the side of the road and steal from them rather than to do a hold-up style robberies or attack people when there are potential witnesses (or people to intervene).

Because of the sudden lack of any sightings for a few days, I think they're either holed up somewhere, lost in the woods, or dead in the woods.
Yep or they got out of gillam the rcmp have A lot of tips to search threw.whats going to be frustrating is lack of info from rcmp they are usually pretty tight lipped getting info is like pulling teeth

The RCMP haven't confirmed any sightings since announcing them as suspects, but it could be possible that is procedural and because of the active search effort and not because of a lack of sightings. There is a lot of resources up there for them, a lot of resources to still be on a cold trail

Yes, good point, they chose who they perceived as vulnerable. Tourists, a young couple in a van with Alberta licence plates stopped on the side of road and a single older man who, by appearance, looked totally harmless.
SBM

I think something about the isolation is part of it, too, because they might not have realized exactly who their victims were when they pulled over. They just see an isolated vehicle and decide to go for it.

The reason I say that: Even though we know that LF was a gentle guy because of the anecdotes shared about him by people who knew him, just to look at pictures of him, he's a big dude. Even though BS is an inch taller than LF, he's a lot skinnier. He would not have been my first choice to attempt to rob for that reason. Despite the reports about his height also being 6'4", in the picture of them standing together, KM looks heaver than BS but a couple of inches shorter, but he still looks much less sturdy than LF.

Also the killing of isolated travelers has given way to their location (at that time) and enabled tracking of the two. I think perhaps they no longer wish to leave such a trail so will try to go about movement in a less obvious way. JMO
Yes, good point. Every thing predates them being named as suspects. If they had been following media coverage, they may have been emboldened by the fact that they were only reported as missing. Once they realized they were officially suspects--if they heard that update--it could have made them a lot more cautious.

The RCMP haven't confirmed any sightings since announcing them as suspects, but it could be possible that is procedural and because of the active search effort and not because of a lack of sightings. There is a lot of resources up there for them, a lot of resources to still be on a cold trail
Very true!

<modsnip: quoted post was removed due to copyright>

Sloppy reporting!

"- Police have released surveillance video and a sketch of a man seen speaking to Fowler at a gas station in Fort Nelson, B.C., on Saturday, July 13. They are still searching for the man. The couple arrived at the station in the evening and were there for 13 minutes.​

- The man is described as Caucasian, with darker skin and hair and with a possible beard and/or glasses. He was travelling south. Police are asking for the public to come forward if they have any information about the man."
There is video of the couple at the gas station. A witness observed a Caucasian man with darker skin and hair, and with a possible beard and/or glasses speaking with the couple at 11:30PM on July 14. The Caucasian man is not connected to the gas station in Fort Nelson.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed due to copyright>

The Star story that you are relying on was published three days ago. Yesterday, the RCMP confirmed the Gillam sightings.

Last edited by a moderator:
On twitter there is a local that has been posting video's, one of them is a video of where the RAV4 was burned. In the video you can see a stop sign or signs. Didn't realize it was that close to the road. He also shared a video of an empty hydro camp close by, 10 minute drive from where the vehicle was burned. And another video of the bush around there.

Not sure I can link to the tweets, but if you search #gillam you should be able to find them on twitter (or at least one and then can find the others)

Yes, the proximity to the road suggests they may have had a breakdown, or two flat tires or such that rendered the vehicle useless without repair.

An unforced error of huge proportions, perhaps

On twitter there is a local that has been posting video's, one of them is a video of where the RAV4 was burned. In the video you can see a stop sign or signs. Didn't realize it was that close to the road. He also shared a video of an empty hydro camp close by, 10 minute drive from where the vehicle was burned. And another video of the bush around there.

Not sure I can link to the tweets, but if you search #gillam you should be able to find them on twitter (or at least one and then can find the others)
I believe you are referring to Mike Lawrenchuck twitter Mike Lawrenchuk (@LawrenchukMike) | Twitter
he has amazing videos
thanks

SBM

I think something about the isolation is part of it, too, because they might not have realized exactly who their victims were when they pulled over. They just see an isolated vehicle and decide to go for it.

The reason I say that: Even though we know that LF was a gentle guy because of the anecdotes shared about him by people who knew him, just to look at pictures of him, he's a big dude. Even though BS is an inch taller than LF, he's a lot skinnier. He would not have been my first choice to attempt to rob for that reason. Despite the reports about his height also being 6'4", in the picture of them standing together, KM looks heaver than BS but a couple of inches shorter, but he still looks much less sturdy than LF.

They had a gun. I don't get why people keep pretending it was going to be a fist fight.

The problem isn’t the reporting, the problem is that the poster is using info published three days ago. :)
No it's the reporting. No bearded man, or anyone, man, woman, or child was seen talking to Lucas and Chynna at the gas station in Fort Nelson. Their entire stop is recorded on video and posted here.

Last edited:
Facinating look IMO at what could be going on in the heads of the 2 suspects. Curious that this former FBI profiler thinks that the relationship between the 2 suspect could have deteriorated to the point that they might have split up.

That was a good interview. I'll bet she's very good at her job. I can see exactly what she is saying. The tension in the relationship may be very very high right now, when they can't agree on a plan of action and could split apart. That would decrease their chances of survival, although it might also make their chances of apprehension by LE more difficult.

Churchill port is not a serious escape option. It may not even be open yet for what is a very short season. There is no prospect of these two getting to the communities on your list. Re knowledge of what’s going on, anyone in the north who watches the news would know.
Totally agree with you which is why posting info on what exactly surrounds the Hudson Bay was interesting I thought. Seems like the only way out/through this tragic situation for the 2 perps is heading south and not North via the Bay or Churchill.

I highly doubt that anyone found the murdered couple and stole property rather than report the scene. I think the suspects stopped at the van to steal money, but the couple didn't meet the suspects' expectations so they were murdered. I think the botanist was murdered because the suspects wanted his vehicle, and they had already murdered 2 people so it was easier to shoot him as well.

People do some pretty strange and awful things, so I will leave that door open. I am certain that the RCMP forensics investigators have already considered tampering and contamination. Having lived in a place where if your vehicle broke down and you went for help, it would be stripped by the time you returned, in an apparently deserted place not far from Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway, I'll agree to disagree.

It is unlikely, but the suspects are not necessarily rational. It's interesting to note that Port Churchill is about to become a little busier, as this article in the Financial Post, published earlier in the week, attests.
Yes, that is why I was curious whether the port had more activity than normal with more ships in/out due to the construction. The port activity log which is public in most ports is something that I cannot find and I also cannot find any log maintained by the Harbor Master or even something from the Canadian version of Port Police/Coast Guard to get a sense of activity in the area from water craft.

But it also seems that the track work to Churchill has been an ongoing issue that could potentially slow down plans for grain shipments this harvest season too.

Totally agree with you which is why posting info on what exactly surrounds the Hudson Bay was interesting I thought. Seems like the only way out/through this mess is heading south and not North via the Bay or Churchill.

I really think the way out was the road through Thompson to Snow Lake. Then you have Route 39 and you get to Highway 10 and a choice to go north or south. They could have hitched out of Gillam down that way, although you would think with the information as widespread as it is in Canada right now, whomever picked them up would have reported it.

If they were still alive, that is......

I haven't excluded that possibility. An as of yet undiscovered murder and another vehicle for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurorabae