CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People do some pretty strange and awful things, so I will leave that door open. I am certain that the RCMP forensics investigators have already considered tampering and contamination. Having lived in a place where if your vehicle broke down and you went for help, it would be stripped by the time you returned, in an apparently deserted place not far from Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway, I'll agree to disagree.
Something apparently linked these two to all three murders; this wasn’t a guess.

If any contamination occurred, it didn’t prevent these two from being identified as suspects.

Hopefully it’s so definitive, that it renders any potential contamination a moot point.

That’s if anything like that even happened, which I think is unlikely.

Exactly. The newspaper is making assumptions and not fact checking.
@otto, do you have a view on the picture of the person seen talking to Deese/Fowler and whether it is one of the 2 named perps or could perhaps be the escaped US convict?

Still trying to understand why RCMP only brought charges on single murder of the Professor? RCMP must have connected the two crime scenes (probably ballistics IMO) but chose to not bring charges for Deese/Fowler.

Could RCMP have doubts about who killed Deese/Fowler?

and apparently had a replica Hitler Youth knife
which looks quite lethal.

Ignoring the bias introduced by media the knife could have been purchased simply because they had planned on going up in the Yukon to find work. If they didn’t have their PAL they wouldn’t legally have been able to pack a rifle/ammo. A knife could have been a second option to have on oneself while being out in a remote territory.

@otto, do you have a view on the picture of the person seen talking to Deese/Fowler and whether it is one of the 2 named perps or could perhaps be the escaped US convict?

Still trying to understand why RCMP only brought charges on single murder of the Professor? RCMP must have connected the two crime scenes (probably ballistics IMO) but chose to not bring charges for Deese/Fowler.

It's more likely they are double checking everything to make sure their case it solid. The initial charges allowed them to put out a warrant I believe, but they want to be smart with everything.

Getting their ducks in a row. This was a double homicide and I am sure there are lots of forensics etc. It is not uncommon in Canada to take awhile to lay charges and they all ready have charged them with second degree murder. The Dyck situation was most probably a more cut and dry case and easier to establish probable cause. Jmo

Last edited:

In British Columbia, the police need the agreement of a prosecutor to lay charges. The prosecutors’ test is higher than the Criminal Code of Canada test. With one charge and a Canada-wide warrant, there’s no need to hurry on more. The prosecutors and police can take their time. It reduces the scope for defence challenges later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the proximity to the road suggests they may have had a breakdown, or two flat tires or such that rendered the vehicle useless without repair.

An unforced error of huge proportions, perhaps

My first thought was that it suggested they had another vehicle on the road, torched it and drove away. I read a post either late last night or this morning that said there were no tracks leading away from the RAV4.... the road being as close as it is, would explain that IMO.

Regarding the gun, it's possible it's a hand gun - more possible it's some type of long gun, but either way I doubt these boys are Jesse James level so confidence is one thing but actually hitting your target off the bat is slim...

They had a gun. I don't get why people keep pretending it was going to be a fist fight.

Nobody is pretending.

It is quite likely they took their victims by surprise. If they are thrill killers as Matt Logan, the forensic psychologist and former RCMP hostage negotiator interviewed on CBC-TV believes, there was likely an element of stalking involved. IMO, only a stupid stalker would pick a burly trucker as a victim, in case something went wrong with the plan. Truckers are naturally wary in those parts, and many carry some sort of instrument to defend themselves. I'm not talking about packing heat, but there are plenty of easily-concealed devices for those long road trips when you have to stop and check brakes and tires. Some already have a plan in mind if needed.

These boys lived in a hard times logging and fishing town -- sorry Port Alberni, but it's true. They would know this. Don't mess with truckers on the Alaska Highway.

Regarding the gun, it's possible it's a hand gun - more possible it's some type of long gun, but either way I doubt these boys are Jesse James level so confidence is one thing but actually hitting your target off the bat is slim...

It’s not that hard a point blank range, even for an amateur.

I think these murders were up close and personal.

It is unlikely, but the suspects are not necessarily rational. It's interesting to note that Port Churchill is about to become a little busier, as this article in the Financial Post, published earlier in the week, attests.

This comment isn’t directed at you but I’m reminded of a video game, a little imaginary figure, where the escapee has the option of jumping trains, scrambling onto ships, stealing cars or quads. How about the possibility of a plane?

As for me, I think they’re still in the Gillam area and by now ridden with insect bites that have caused bleeding wounds and they’re weak from no food. Hopefully one of them has badly sprained an ankle tripping over deadfall.

Reportedly the outlying remote areas of northern Manitoba do not have reliable or consistent cellphone service, even if they decided to turn themselves in because they’re starving, weak, injured and miserable the irony is they may have no way to reach out to authorities. And they’ve probably totally lost track as to which direction is where they came from, in order to backtrack.

Last edited:
Something apparently linked these two to all three murders; this wasn’t a guess.

If any contamination occurred, it didn’t prevent these two from being identified as suspects.

Hopefully it’s so definitive, that it renders any potential contamination a moot point.

That’s if anything like that even happened, which I think is unlikely.

Just a guess ... on July 19 the suspects' vehicle was near a deceased man, he had no vehicle. The suspects were then seen on July 21 in a grey Rav4 alive and well. They were far from where they were supposed to be, and they did not contact family when they were considered victims.

One of the suspects looks similar to the bearded man, who is a bit taller than 6'3" Lucas, and who was seen accosting the murdered couple at 11:30PM on July 14.

Police then assumed that the missing teens had burned their own vehicle, murdered the man and stole his vehicle. They were suspects in the single murder. July 22, the burned Rav4 was found and the murdered botanist was identified through his vehicle. There are no charges for the murdered couple at this time.

I highly doubt that anyone pilfered the van with the two murder victims lying nearby.

The police are gathering information perhaps to see if they're going to charge them with first-degree murder. I say that because the police had gone to both of their residence in Port Alberni and gathered a whole bunch of information from there. I imagine that they're trying to put the pieces together to see if it was a first-degree murder of the couple. The second degree murder seems to be a spur-of-the-moment killing...... The young men needed a new vehicle thus killed Leonard d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurorabae