CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Bryer's dad writing a memoir.... just have to reiterate what I said before in last thread : " I think Bryer's father is a little sketchy(also, this is just my opinion) and seems like he might dabble in drugs himself.. since we're on all this drug talk. I don't think he regrets talking, he appeared to like the attention and we'll probably hear more from him"

Sigh I knew it. The father was clearly questionable with his unusual outspokenness, changing his story, his strange relationship with his son. I think he cares more about his 15 mins than he does about his mostly estranged son.

Last edited:
It’s not so much about trying to have a “gotcha moment,” as much as it is about getting a completely honest answer.

That’s the job of the press.
Again, it's probably not the most appropriate time for RCMP to show all their cards and give completely honest answers.

I totally agree that in most other situations I can think of involving journalists they should absolutely ask the uncomfortable questions :)

This is wild.

According to the manuscript's cover, Schmegelsky wrote it in 12 days while drunk.“

“My soul wrote this in 12 days. I could have sold my soul thirty years ago when my dad told me the Canadian Red Cross gave him Aids.”

• Alan Schmegelsky contacted media across the world. including DailyMail.com. hoping to boost readership of his self-published book
  • The rambling memoir, entitled Red Flagged, is a bizarre 131-page screed covering the last ten years of Schmegelsky Sr’s life
  • His story reveals how he struggled for years with his mental health and he tells of the dysfunctional household in which his fugitive son Bryer was raised
Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online

I guess opportunity knocked when his son started murdering people. It's just too much at the moment, IMO.

Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online

"The father's book is laced with vicious criticism of Bryer's mother Deborah Sweeney, his ex-wife who he calls 'hex', detailing the custody battle over their son and alleged squabbling over a row with the Canadian Red Cross."

"The book describes Schmegelsky alleged struggle to get $80 million compensation over a claim that the Canadian Red Cross is responsible for his father's AIDS diagnosis."

"Speaking to DailyMail.com, the 53-year-old said the memoir was meant to be published last week, the same day Bryer and McLeod are suspected of killing three people."

" 'I put the release on hold, it was supposed to be released on Monday,' he said."

" 'I wrote my book so Bryer and I could buy a home,' he said. 'That was our plan.' "

The location of the murders is in a remote part of northern BC, the closest RCMP crime unit would be to the east in Fort Nelson, BC which is 4 hours from that location. (note: there is an rcmp detachment on the border into Yukon at Watson Lake, that is close to the same distance as Frt Nelson but not in BC.

There is no other LE in the area that could have watched the scene?

I wonder if K "stockpiled" a bunch of cash prior to this escapade and if his family can determine that.

Most teens who’ve never left home and were supported by their parents roof over their head don’t think ahead about footing costs on their own. The likelihood is high that robbery was all or part of the motivation of the alleged murders IMO.

Dumb question, did he seriously think enough people would be buying copies of this book to be able to afford a house? I mean, before his son became "famous", would anyone have bought it?

Stranger things have happened! We have had no sightings in 3/4 days. Why?

Sure could be hiding in/around Gillam but more likely long gone from Gillam, dead or on the move.

They had a brief window where they had a good sized jump on RCMP in/around Gillam and if they didn't get the train, hadn't lined up a vehicle or found a solid hiding spot then water or at least hiking along the water might have been one of the few options.

Reasonable to believe RCMP searched the train in both directions and covered the tracks up to Churchill and down to Winnipeg, no reported stolen vehicles per RCMP and RCMP is now working to seach door to door in Gillam.

We know air support has arrived and so larger areas can be covered using high tech most likely.

These 2 seem to be crafty and randomly strategic in their movements IMO.

For some reason it seems less likely that they would stay put and go into bunker mode in Gillam but we will see.

"no reported stolen vehicles" does not mean no stolen vehicles, IMO. If they stopped burning vehicles and leaving bodies in the road, maybe they sneaked into one quietly.

Now that I've refreshed the page and see more discussion: I personally don't think the Daily Mail had any role in helping him with writing his book. Like I said earlier, if it's true he is working with a self-publisher, that would be easy to confirm, and I really don't think they would be able bullcrap together a manuscript and print it that fast.

Edited to add: In my experience, book printers get pissy if you rush them, and 2 weeks is considered abnormally fast, call-in-favors speed to print.

That being said, I completely agree that the Daily Mail is shamelessly exploiting this.

It looks like he wrote this on his own and the Daily Mail, which claims that it was sent to a lot of news organizations, is the only one that was prepared to exploit it.

It will be interesting to see what legit newspapers now do with this, if anything. If you’re writing for the Globe and Mail, you sure can’t do the kind of cut and paste job that the Daily Mail has just done.

I understand the two language usage for the questions. I think it would have to be near exact repeats from one language to the other. I have just wondered after yesterday if there was someone there typing really fast and getting papers passed or if it was pre written. nothing negative intended to be implied.
They were pre written bullet points of answers to questions that would most likely be asked, that would have to be answered in French. French is clearly not her first language; understanding is much different then answering a question about weather or what have you, on an INTERNATIONAL scale.
We are a biligual country so this is standard practice we see; and with all thats going on I think that reporter was lucky to get the french answer from her. Her " look" to the press was not anything but frustration as speaking french is not first nature to her.

There is no other LE in the area that could have watched the scene?

The RCMP is the only police force in northern BC. What other law enforcement would there be? Their nearest detachment is hours away from that area. I think the assumption should be that it took four hours because it takes four hours.

I guess opportunity knocked when his son started murdering people. It's just too much at the moment, IMO.

"The father's book is laced with vicious criticism of Bryer's mother Deborah Sweeney, his ex-wife who he calls 'hex', detailing the custody battle over their son and alleged squabbling over a row with the Canadian Red Cross."

"The book describes Schmegelsky alleged struggle to get $80 million compensation over a claim that the Canadian Red Cross is responsible for his father's AIDS diagnosis."

"Speaking to DailyMail.com, the 53-year-old said the memoir was meant to be published last week, the same day Bryer and McLeod are suspected of killing three people."

" 'I put the release on hold, it was supposed to be released on Monday,' he said."

" 'I wrote my book so Bryer and I could buy a home,' he said. 'That was our plan.' "

aww... what a shame, he had to get railroaded by his son then upping sticks , zooming off into the wilderness and having the utter idiocy to then choose a foreign policemans son to murder, along with his foreign girlfriend and then, to compound the stupidity, a national of Canada, right there on the highway. So close to $80 million CND!!

You just can't take a trick, Alan. Of course, if you ever get that 80 mill, how about kicking in for the funeral costs incurred by darling Bry's little escapade? .

Dumb question, did he seriously think enough people would be buying copies of this book to be able to afford a house? I mean, before his son became "famous", would anyone have bought it?
Agreed. Self-published authors who dream of riches are usually ignoring the realities of how many other self-pubbed manuscripts written by other non-famous people are out there. They're all competing against each other, and unless you have something that really grabs attention or have a substantial social media platform to promote the book, sales will be low.

Perversely, now that his son is infamous, he may very well make a fair amount of money off the morbidly curious who buy his book, but using the proceeds to buy a home for him and his son to share will never happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan