CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They would need to charge their phones and as far as I can tell, the weather in Gillam has not been conducive to solar charges this last week

you could check a solar output map if you can find one for such a remote area, but weather has been muggy to rain to thunderstorms to misty fog so its been rather terrible

If I understand, and I may not, even if the couple had been driving a brand new car with bumper to bumper coverage on it the danger would have been the same? I guess there are no car dealerships there either to just come and get it?
You are correct it would not matter. I broke down in an RV outside of Whitemouth Manitoba one night...had CAA coverage for my RV but closest tow truck was 4 hours away...no choice but to sleep where you are.

Okay, so any experts on bog deaths? Looking at those pictures and reading the description of the territory, it seems to me that drowning in there is a real possibility. Is the water so cold that they wouldn't decompose? Would the sections of floating peat be enough to indefinitely hide a floating, decomposing, clothed body? This is when we want a bear to stop by and investigate and do some sleuthing, hopefully in broad daylight.

RCMP supply details strictly on a 'need to know' basis. Right now, all the public needs to know is: what the teens look like, that they're no long driving the RAV, that police suspect them of killing LD, and that they may be armed.

Here's what I imagine an RCMP officer would respond: 'Loose lips sink ships. We're running a highly professional police organization, not a talk show to entertain the masses. Details such as how the teens acquired the RAV will be presented only at a criminal trial, after the police and prosecutors have gone over the evidence with a fine tooth comb, checking that every t is crossed and i dotted, to ensure the prosecution wins the case and no one gets away with murder on a technicality. Criminals are convicted in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion.'.

I deliberately tried to get every cliche I could think of in that paragraph, btw.

True, but if the suspects aren't yet convicted in a court of law, but believe they have their own side to tell (but it won't make sense in light of the LE narrative), they will be just one step closer to wanting the blaze of glory ending. The public has overwhelmingly accepted, based on what we do know, that they are the perps and the only perps. And since we may never know if they are dead...this may also be inadvertent legend-building (if more murders happen down the road, and someone sets a car on fire).

Last edited:
The only purple gas I know of is the term that’s used for digestive upset as a the result of doing too many hallucinogens ie “those shrooms gave me a wicked case of purple gas”. Not sure that applies here though.

purple gas (uncountable)

(Canada, Prairies) Gasoline priced with reduced taxes for farm use, identified by adding purple dye.

purple gas - Wiktionary

True, but if the suspects aren't yet convicted in a court of law, but believe they have their own side to tell (but it won't make sense in light of the LE narrative), they will be just one step closer to wanting the blaze of glory ending. The public has overwhelming accepted, based on what we do know, that they are the perps and the only perps. And since we may never know if they are dead...this may also be inadvertent legend-building (if more murders happen down the road, and someone sets a car on fire).

That's the one thing that concerns me about them not explaining why they have linked them to both murderers.
Everyone has now just accepted that they Did kill those three people, and we don't even know why the RCMP suspect they are linked.

NetNewsLedger - Manhunt Update - July 28/19 - Search for McLeod and Schmegelsky Continues
"Information update for July 28, 2019 – RCMP continues the search for suspects

As the search for Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky continues, the RCMP are able to provide the following update:

There have been no new sightings of the suspects and no new information that would indicate that the suspects have fled the area.

RCMP officers have completed their canvas of Fox Lake Cree Nation and will now focus their efforts on completing the canvass of homes in the Town of Gillam. To date, over 250 homes have been visited by investigators.

In the areas surrounding Gillam, officers are searching cottages, cabins, waterways, and along the rail line for any signs of the suspects. This search of remote areas is being conducted both on foot and in the air.

The Royal Canadian Air Force began their assistance with the search on July 27 and will continue to provide assistance throughout the day.

Investigators have now received over 200 tips in the last 5 days. None have established that the suspects are outside of the Gillam area. However, the RCMP continues to remind the public that it is possible the suspects inadvertently received assistance and are no longer in the area. It is also possible that they have changed their appearance.

RCMP-Handout-on-BC-Murder-Suspects.jpg

RCMP Handout on BC Homicide Suspects
Canadians with tips about the suspects should immediately contact their local police of jurisdiction. Multiple tips of sightings have been posted to social media in the last few days and not directly reported to the police. If the tips are valid, it can create a substantial delay in the response by police and be detrimental to the overall investigation.

It is critical that all Canadians remain vigilant for Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. If they are spotted, do not approach, call 9-1-1 or your local police immediately."

Well, this is MOO, but it is a publicity thing. The journalism part. Once the identities were known (and I could say quite a bit about why that is), this became international headline news, popped up in sidebars on websites everywhere, and some people (like the botanist) might well have seen it. We'll never know. Until the identities were known, a lot of people did not hear about this case. Given that three different nations and their twitter feeds got involved immediately thereafter, obviously, it could be that other peoples' lives were saved. The killers may have been forced, by the heat of public attention, to change their MO. That's pretty typical and that seems to be exactly what happened, does it not? Have any further burned out cars been found? No more sightings in stores, either, as the story heated up. We here on WS saw their faces fairly early on, but the rest of the world didn't - it wouldn't have run for so many cycles if this were an elderly grandfather shot dead on his ranch in the Sierra Nevada.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do get this, but it seems that the delay in identifying the victims keeps getting blamed on the probable improper registration of the van, as opposed to the lack of ID found on the victims, and it is THAT part that I don't get. I do see how the story got much bigger when the identities were discovered, and that surely contributed to much wider coverage in the news.

I’ve said a few times that I think the safest route for these guys, if they remained in the area, would have been to follow the Nelson River, just off the water to avoid being seen.

It’s now clear, from the links in post #1332, that the Nelson is easily passable by boat from Gillam to York Factory/Churchill. The current also runs in that direction, although at how many knots I don’t know. It appears that the distance is about 145km/90 miles.

The remaining question is how far it is passable, without running into rapids, going toward the interior.

Short of that, or accidentally bumping into a cabin that hasn’t yet been searched or somehow driving south, there is a pretty good likelihood that they are dead. The weather has not been consistent with survival unless you really know what you are doing. Clint Sawchuk’s comments (also post 1332) just underscore that, and he doesn’t even mention hypothermia. In Gillam, it’s been raining, with occasional thunderstorms, all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm struggling with the main 'story line' that these guys were going out on a spree and were going to go out in a blaze of glory. There have been no more killings (that we know of) and they took a very remote route, very far, and have been silent since. If they wanted to do a spree, why aren't they still killing? If they want to go out in a blaze of glory, why don't they hold someone hostage or stay in somewhat more populated areas where their crimes would be noticed?

What's the motive here? What's the ultimate objective

ETA: typo

Honestly, I am not playing dumb, nor am I trying to be contrary, but how did the delay in identifying the victims give the teens a huge head start? If there had been a proper registration of the vehicle, without ID on the victims, there still was no guarantee that the victims were the owners of the van. The van could have been stolen, for all LE could have known. Also, while surely someone behind a desk was having to run a check on the van registration and try to determine identities of vics, it isn't like the rest of the investigators were sitting around thinking, "damn, sure wish we could start dusting for prints and gathering evidence and trying to find who did this, but I guess we can't until we know who these dead people are." Regardless of whether or not they had ID'd the victims, they knew they had been murdered by someone, and began investigating. And I frankly do not see how determining the identities of the victims aided in the search for the perps at all, as it seems it was an entirely random encounter. JMO

Let's suppose that the vehicle that was bought in BC at the ranch was registered by the new owner at his known BC address : the ranch.

When police learned of the incident at 7:19AM July 15, they would have tracked the licence plate to the ranch. This could have been done before RCMP arrived at the scene. The ranch owners would have immediately provided RCMP with the names and descriptions of Lucas and Chynna. Police would then contact the families of Lucas and Chynna - ranch would have Lucas family contact information - and the investigation would have been moving forward.

RCMP did not initially know whether the victims were connected to the van or why they were there. They had nothing to go on until they figured out something about the van or the victims, and that part of the process was delayed by 3 days.

I’ve said a few times that I think the safest route for these guys, if they remained in the area, would have been to follow the Nelson River, just off the water to avoid being seen.

It’s now clear, from the links in post #1332, that the Nelson is easily passable by boat from Gillam to York Factory/Churchill. The current also runs in that direction, although at how many knots I don’t know.

The remaining question is how far it is passable, without running into rapids, going toward the interior.

Short of that, or accidentally bumping into a cabin that hasn’t been searched or somehow driving south, there is a pretty good likelihood that they are dead. The weather has not been consistent with survival unless you really know what you are doing. Clint Sawchuk’s comments (also post 1332) just underscore that, and he doesn’t even mention hypothermia.

Though it is so very possible, they did have a fair bit of time before anyone was really looking for them out there, and the more people assume they are already dead, the less people pay attention and continue to be on alert for them.

I'm struggling with the main 'story line' that these guys were going out on a spree and were going to go out in a blaze of glory. There have been no more killings (that we know of) and they took a very remote route, very far, and have been silent since. If they wanted to do a spree, why aren't they still killing? If they want to go out in a blaze of glory, why don't they hold someone hostage or stay in somewhat more populated areas where their crimes would be noticed?

What's the motive here? What's the ultimate objective

ETA: typo

I had said previously that I think the motive is the notoriety for murdering people and getting away with it. They want to break laws but they also want to outsmart LE and the public. IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member