CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question, did he seriously think enough people would be buying copies of this book to be able to afford a house? I mean, before his son became "famous", would anyone have bought it?

I think you know the answer to your question. Under normal circumstances -- and we've long since left those behind -- the book would have found a limited audience. (Euphemism in effect.)

lol, Daily Fail can't even get the region of Canada the search centred in right. Northern Manitoba is not north east Canada.

While his son is on the run in north east Canada sparking a hundreds-strong manhunt after the brutal killings of a young couple and a 64-year-old man, Alan Schmegelsky contacted media across the world hoping to boost readership of his self-published book.

The RCMP is the only police force in northern BC. What other law enforcement would there be? Their nearest detachment is hours away from that area. I think the assumption should be that it took four hours because it takes four hours.

Most cities in the US have LE, I guess it is different in Canada. But does Canada not have some type of highway patrol?

Doesn't it seem odd that they would have torched the vehicle in Gillam without another one to drive? It also seems odd that the RCMP hadn't begun doorknocking until yesterday...so for all they know they could have taken a vehicle or worse. Just because one wasn't reported missing doesn't mean that they didn't take one...

Dumb question, did he seriously think enough people would be buying copies of this book to be able to afford a house? I mean, before his son became "famous", would anyone have bought it?

Haaaa. Who doesn’t want to buy a rambling book that someone wrote while drunk?

ETA: I just had a great book idea. A compilation of all my drunken texts.

It’ll be a weird genre hybrid of humor and horror.

Last edited:
I guess opportunity knocked when his son started murdering people. It's just too much at the moment, IMO.

Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online

"The father's book is laced with vicious criticism of Bryer's mother Deborah Sweeney, his ex-wife who he calls 'hex', detailing the custody battle over their son and alleged squabbling over a row with the Canadian Red Cross."

"The book describes Schmegelsky alleged struggle to get $80 million compensation over a claim that the Canadian Red Cross is responsible for his father's AIDS diagnosis."

"Speaking to DailyMail.com, the 53-year-old said the memoir was meant to be published last week, the same day Bryer and McLeod are suspected of killing three people."

" 'I put the release on hold, it was supposed to be released on Monday,' he said."

" 'I wrote my book so Bryer and I could buy a home,' he said. 'That was our plan.' "

The Daily Mail is a British tabloid.

It seems Bryer's dad is swimming sideways in many ways, he seems to have a range of ASD spectrum signs, and from what has been said and observed about Bryer, he is also highly likely to have an ASD disorder. It is the media to blame for continuing to exploit this man and kids Bryer went to school with at Bryer's detriment. The neat, daggy hairdo, buttoning up of his shirt in store video, wearing his fatigues, buying a suit in anticipation of a job interview (planning to earn heaps), taking tower computer etc on road trip, socially awkward and inappropriate, feeling at home in online gaming communities, not understanding inappropriate interests (Nazi stuff), not learning to drive (although this may be due to lack of funds), rejection from both parents, living with grandmother. If there was an offer made by police in the media for contact and negotiation, it may save a huge amount of overkill and wasted time.

Last edited:
There is no other LE in the area that could have watched the scene?
no - I think there is likely some agreement with the govt road crews etc, so the man who was sent out to secure the scene till police got there would have had some training and authorization. Liard HotSprings is a natural hot spring and the lodge there is small, there is no "town" there so to speak...

View attachment 195391
They would have had to been driving. They left Port Alberni on the 12th, I assume they managed to catch a ferry without waiting a couple sailings. Fowler and Deese were still alive at 11:30pm on the 14th, their deaths were reported at 7:30am July 15.

I haven't thought much about their route. Am curious a bit about the timeline. I am using Google maps for times so might not be 100%. Sorry for this long post...

I'm from Vancouver Island and I think there's 2 main ferry routes off Vancouver Island (didn't include Comox to Powell River as there's 2 ferries and way longer):

1. Drive from Port Alberni to Nanaimo (1 hr 5 min) - take ferry to Horseshoe Bay terminal (between Vancouver and Whistler and goes through city of Vancouver/Surrey) - drive to Laird Springs (21 hrs 6 mins)

2. Drive from Port Alberni to Victoria (2hrs 30 min) - take ferry to Tsawwassen terminal (closer to Surrey, you bypass the city of Vancouver) - drive to Laird Springs (21hrs 25 mins)

Either is likely and from my memory of doing both routes, they kind of balance out timewise. Nanaimo departure is closer to PA but takes you through the city of Vancouver (via hwy) so longer on the mainland. The Victoria departure you bypass the city drive, but do extra from PA to Victoria.

There is likely ferry waits as it's crazy this time of year. So it would take MINIMUM 26-27 hours to get to Laird Springs and that's with straight driving, no food/gas breaks, and still unsure of that time. So possibly 30 hours. So ended up in Laird Springs on 13th. Please correct me if I have some info wrong, or missed a stop, I haven't paid much attention to timeline!

I guess my point is within 24 hrs of being up there, they decided to murder people. The murders happened awfully fast since they left home. I'm wondering why they chose the such a remote area (where they could've gotten away with it maybe) and then light cars on fire to get the attention (obvious to get notoriety). Strange plan.

Ah, ok I should've noticed that you are a Canadian as well :) We know our bears! ;)
There'd be black bears up there too I would suspect. And those will eat you up! Maybe some polar bear will sense these are 2 very bad guys and attack them anyways, we can hope anyways. Or scare them so bad they'll be running out of the bush screaming "Help, Help" but not likely. I wonder what they would do if they are still in the area and came upon bears or a bull moose giving chase after them? I hope they'd have no bullets left to shoot the animals. JMO

The only big house Dad will be seeing will hopefully be the BIG house these boys end up in. The window of opportunity for Sr. is a blueprint for Jr. Seems they both wanted some attention, for all the wrong reasons, murder. What is this man thinking? His teenage son is about to lose his life dead or alive.

Most cities in the US have LE, I guess it is different in Canada. But does Canada not have some type of highway patrol?

There’s really no comparison to Canada’s desolate and lowly populated northern parts of the provinces and the US. But yes, the RCMP also conducts road patrols.

ETA
Maybe to put it into perspective - (per google)
Canada - 9.985 million sq km, population 37.06 million (2018)
United States - 9.843 million sq km, population 327.2 million (2018)

Last edited:
no - I think there is likely some agreement with the govt road crews etc, so the man who was sent out to secure the scene till police got there would have had some training and authorization. Liard HotSprings is a natural hot spring and the lodge there is small, there is no "town" there so to speak...

OK, I've been worried a defense attorney would be able to say the scene wasn't secure for 4 hours and could be compromised. But if highway workers are trained by the police to secure crime scenes that shouldn't be an issue.

So true...I went on a supervised four day fast in the wilderness a few years back - no water or food and stayed in a lean-to by myself although others were in their own lean-to. The temp was hitting 40C in the day. On the fourth day I was feeling sick. One woman had to go to the hospital and three men broke the fast due to illness. So if these murderers are in the bush...

they would need to be in a dry cabin or some type of out building or storage shed to stay alive, IMO.

Haaaa. Who doesn’t want to buy a rambling book that someone wrote while drunk?

The Red Cross giving his father AIDS is a bit intriguing though. :eek::p

ETA: I just had a great book idea. A compilation of all my drunken texts.

It’ll be a weird genre hybrid of humor and horror.

The reference to the Red Cross and AIDS is about a big blood transfusion problem that led to a public inquiry in 1993.

OK, I've been worried a defense attorney would be able to say the scene wasn't secure for 4 hours and could be compromised. But if highway workers are trained by the police to secure crime scenes that shouldn't be an issue.

Gotta catch them first, and get them alive.

But yeah, I’m not worried about that angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member