Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

You can buy dog/coyote urine spray. But for polar/brown bears this would be an attractant. Moreover, as grizzly populations explode they are increasingly interbreeding with polar bears - which corresponds to greater off-season activity by these predators.

This is a bit too far inland for polar bears typically, but not unheard of... Greater issue would be timber wolves. When I spend time out in the bush, I am honestly more concerned about running into a moose while not paying proper attention. They will charge and kill you if near a calf.

Some maps ...

Estimated route and actual dates

upload_2019-7-29_11-42-25.png

VIA Train route and stops

upload_2019-7-29_11-43-28.png

Estimated dump and sewage treatment area

upload_2019-7-29_11-44-49.png

Hydro transmission lines and railway with cleared corridor as travel route from Gillam to York Landing

upload_2019-7-29_11-45-44.png

Split Lake, Gillam, burned Rav4, York Landing

upload_2019-7-29_11-51-10.png

Last edited:
How do these 400+ residents earn a living?
Or do they all get gov't assistance like welfare?
Looks like they have a school there and some
gov't departments.
How do they survive financially?

There are some First Nations people on here, and with luck they will respond.

Here is my stab at a bare bones answer, trying to stay away from the politics, which are complicated and can lead to heated discussion.

First Nations people receive monthly payments. These have their origin in treaties and are not welfare/social assistance. One reason that fishing and hunting are important there is that there is probably not much in the way of employment. Some aboriginal communities are well-off to wealthy, but that is not the norm, and typically not the case in very isolated communities like York Landing.

Many people leave these communities to obtain employment elsewhere and/or to further their education and/or because they are young and, like a lot of small town kids, are attracted to “the city”. If you look at the Wikipedia page on Winnipeg, you’ll see that there is a large aboriginal population. Much of this is young people leaving northern reserves for the city.

Edit: Gina20 points out below that some people work for Manitoba Hydro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is my stab at a bare bones answer...

First Nations people receive monthly payments. One reason that fishing and hunting are important there is that there is probably not much in the way of employment. Some aboriginal communities are well-off to wealthy, but that is not the norm, and typically not the case in very isolated communities like York Landing.

Many people leave these communities to obtain employment elsewhere. If you look at the Wikipedia page on Winnipeg, you’ll see that there is a large aboriginal population. Much of this is young people leaving northern reserves for the city.

Hydro jobs at Keeyask.

They lived by the ocean.

Yes, I know. I live by the ocean too (a much warmer, calmer area). But everyone knows that you can't just take a kayak or stand up paddle board or small canoe and expect to do well with it. There's been no mention of these two being watermen. If they are good swimmers in the ocean, then yes, they'd feel more confident about a long-ish trip in a stolen boat (but what then? more dump-eating?) Surely they'd want a motorized craft.

If they do try to escape by boat, they will likely be caught quickly. If they do it at night and are somehow not caught, then their best bet is to remain invisible for more than a month, until all search efforts die way back. Presumably, not easy to do without shelter and food...so pretty much just giving them a few more days before they have to hunker down and quit trying to eat from familiar resources like dumps.

Maybe they have already found such a place to hide and were merely looking for new t-shirts. Who knows.

Here is my stab at a bare bones answer...

First Nations people receive monthly payments. One reason that fishing and hunting are important there is that there is probably not much in the way of employment. Some aboriginal communities are well-off to wealthy, but that is not the norm, and typically not the case in very isolated communities like York Landing.

Many people leave these communities to obtain employment elsewhere. If you look at the Wikipedia page on Winnipeg, you’ll see that there is a large aboriginal population. Much of this is young people leaving northern reserves for the city.

I was about to take a shot at responding to that same topic as well. I think it’s important to understand York Landing isn’t just a community up north where people have chosen to relocate to.

You’re right, York Landing is located on a reserve, private property of First Nations people.

http://www.ktc.ca/up-coming-events/factory-first/
“The community of York Landing did not receive reserve status until 1989.“

Our Indigenous People are self-governed and receive support from the Federal Government due to their special status. Therefore one wouldn’t expect their First Nation communities to reflect other non-indigenous communities including people being supported by welfare because they’re unemployed (and “welfare” no longer exists in Canada either although we do have numerous types of social service programs to assist people in need).
Self-government

How some choose to live a traditional lifestyle has always held my fascination.

Here is my stab at a bare bones answer, trying to stay away from the politics, which are complicated and can lead to heated discussion.

Thank You.
I did go to the First Nations website and it
looks like there are 79 homes for rent owned
by the tribal assoc. I suppose these are low
rent or subsidized housing for residents.
I have a hard time understanding how they can survive in such an isolated area without much financial assistance.

Some maps ...

Estimated route and actual dates

View attachment 195627

VIA Train route and stops

View attachment 195628

Estimated dump and sewage treatment area

View attachment 195629

Hydro transmission lines and railway with cleared corridor as travel route from Gillam to York Landing

View attachment 195630

Split Lake, Gillam, burned Rav4, York Landing

View attachment 195631

A few more images related to hydro lines, a walk which according to locals is "difficult but possible"

pic1-hyrdro line route in red on satellite img
pic2 shows distance involved
pic 3 is detail on start and finish of possible route
pic4 shows ground conditions under hydro lines in the area

Attachments

• JustAnIdea.jpg
    JustAnIdea.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 29
  • hydrolinewalk.jpg
    hydrolinewalk.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Start-finish.jpg
    Start-finish.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 28
  • doable.jpg
    doable.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 31
What's everyone thinking for the out come today? Surrender? Shot? Murder/Suicide?

if you would've asked me this a few days ago, i would've guessed they'd go out with a gunfight with cops. now, i'm not so sure. do they even have a weapon? i don't know whether to think they do or don't. at some point i can see them being so hungry and fed up with the bugs that they surrender. or if not surrender outright, i see them getting caught because they're too exhausted. it's challenging to find them yes, but they obviously can't be sleeping or eating well and who knows what kind of condition their shoes are in. they're going up against numerous officers who can get plenty of sleep and have good hearty meals, good clothes and equipment...perhaps their "warfare training" they did for 2 years has helped them to this point, but it isn't going to last much longer no way. they're no match for the guys hunting them. it's only a matter of time.

I think they will end up being closed in on and caught.
These two are wimpy cowards, they're now hungry, have the runs from drinking dirty water,
tired and wiped out, probably sore footsies from
walking so much, scratched, bitten, itchy, smelly
and dreaming of a nice warm bed and a good meal.
there may soon be a white undershirt hanging on a tree.

I was about to take a shot at responding to that same topic as well. I think it’s important to understand York Landing isn’t just a community up north where people have chosen to relocate to.

You’re right, York Landing is located on a reserve, private property of First Nations people.

http://www.ktc.ca/up-coming-events/factory-first/
“The community of York Landing did not receive reserve status until 1989.“

Our Indigenous People are self-governed and receive support from the Federal Government due to their special status. Therefore one wouldn’t expect their First Nation communities to reflect other non-indigenous communities including people being supported by welfare because they’re unemployed (and “welfare” no longer exists in Canada either although we do have numerous types of social service programs to assist people in need).
Self-government

How some choose to live a traditional lifestyle has always held my fascination.
Yes, their people have lived there since long before there even was a government.

This most recent Globe and Mail report is not pay-locked -
RCMP descend on York Landing, Man., after credible tip on B.C. murder suspects

The timeline indicates the burned RAV4 was found Tuesday. I’ve noticed other media reporting it was found on Monday. Why the different dates, I don’t know.

July 15, near Liard Hot Springs:

Two bodies found on Alaska Highway

1. July 18, Jade City:
Suspects spotted

2 July 19, Dease Lake:
A body found two kms from truck belonging to suspects

3 July 21, Meadow Lake:
Suspects spotted

4 July 22, Split Lake:
Band constables pulled the pair over before they were named suspects

5 July 23, Gillam:
Suspects’ burned-out vehicle found