Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #2 *T. Vader guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
McCanns hope obit, service bring closure

The family of a St. Albert couple missing for more than a year are taking steps toward closure.

[snip]

This week, the family placed an obituary for their parents in the St. Albert Gazette, which will run today and Wednesday. They have also planned a memorial service for Saturday, July 30.

More: http://www.stalbertgazette.com/arti...39985/mccanns-hope-obit-service-bring-closure

"We have come to accept that they have met some awful and terrible fate," said Bret. "We are holding (a memorial) service to recognize that, and try to bring closure to our family."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/07/24/18462011.html

"I think there were multiple people involved (in their disappearance)," said Bret. "I don't know how the police are investigating this, but we do know this investigation does involve this drug culture that's out there."

B.C.-bound missing couple officially declared dead

Memorial scheduled, but family won’t give up search for St. Albert couple

By Brent Wittmeier, Postmedia News July 27, 2011 12:11 PM
EDMONTON - Alberta courts have officially declared Lyle and Marie McCann dead.

Family of the elderly St. Albert couple filed a motion last Wednesday to have the couple declared dead a year after they disappeared while travelling west to meet their daughter in Abbotsford. They received notice within a day.

Part of the application was a letter from the RCMP saying investigators believe the couple are deceased.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/cars...eclared+dead/5167889/story.html#ixzz1TKqv7Ahg

They looked like such a sweet, loving couple who just loved their family-they didn't deserve that. Whoever did this is either a sociopath or their emotions are numbed by all of the drugs they've consumed. Did they see two elderly people with a big RV and think they could get some money out of them or blackmail them?

I wonder if they could have been in the RV when it was lit on fire and since it was burnt and only had charred remains, would bone fragments still show up?

Someone needs to come forward and admit what awful deed they did or live their life with a secret, I hope they suffer forever with the knowledge that they took two innocent lives.

Police believe Alberta couple died on the day they disappeared
The lead RCMP investigator into the disappearance of Lyle and Marie McCann believes the couple were murdered near Edson, Alta., the day they were last seen.
More...

Son of missing couple accepts his parents are gone
The son of an Alberta couple whose parents went missing more than a year ago says he has come to accept he will never see his parents again, since receiving a letter from the RCMP informing his family the couple was probably murdered.
"It's difficult to read the words ‘murdered' associated with my parents, but we've come to accept over the last year that my parents are gone," Bret McCann told CTV's Canada AM on Thursday.
More...

McCann Family Holds Memorial

The McCann family is saying good-bye. A memorial is being held nearly one year after their parents disappeared while on their way from their Alberta home to Abbotsford

Today's service coincides with Lyle and Marie's 59th wedding anniversary.

Their son Bret says he doesn't want this to be a sad day. "My parents were the nicest people in the world. My dad was a real gentleman. My mom was the best mom there could be. We want this memorial to be a celebration of their life."

Snipped: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/259557--mccann-family-hold-memorial-for-missing-couple

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/07/31/18492391.html
"During the service, people were asked to lay rose petals by urns that signified Lyle and Marie who were said to still be madly in love in their later years."

"The burning question obviously is what happened to my parents?" said Bret. "I know we'll never give up and I don't think the police will ever give up in trying to solve that problem and that will be real closure for me when we solve that mystery."

Suspect's rights violated in case of missing couple, lawyer says

Edmonton Journal August 23, 2011
<snipped from article>
The lawyer for Travis Vader, the only suspect named in the disappearance of a missing St. Albert couple, has filed court documents alleging his client's charter rights have been violated while in custody.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The trial was adjourned, but defence lawyer Daniel Mol filed a notice of constitutional argument, which states he would seek a reduced sentence or a stay of proceedings if Vader is found guilty due to his client's treatment in custody.

The court document alleged Vader has been subjected to "personal injury and excessive force, cruel and unusual treatment, breach of solicitor and client privilege, theft and unreasonable seizure, improper placement in solitary confinement ... and 23-hour daily lockup," among other violations. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

The document alleged Vader has been unfairly placed in administrative segregation for most of his time in custody, that he was beaten by several correctional officers in November 2010, and that he believes privileged correspondences with his lawyer were taken while he was being transferred and "have been given to police."
Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Suspect+rights+violated+case+missing+couple+lawyer+says/5292662/story.html

Guards accused of beating man suspected in disappearance of Alberta couple

EVANSBURG, ALTA.&#8212;The lawyer for a man suspected by the RCMP in the disappearance of an Edmonton-area couple last year argues that his client has been beaten by jail guards.

Daniel Mol says Travis Vader has also been improperly placed in solitary confinement at the Edmonton Remand Centre and that guards have stolen documents related to his case and given them to police.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The defence lawyer says he&#8217;s seeking to have drug possession and firearms offences against his client dropped because Vader&#8217;s basic civil and human rights have been violated.

Vader will return to an Evansburg courtroom for trial on Dec. 12, at which time Mol&#8217;s constitutional challenge will be heard.

full article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1043524

McCann family seeks help from hunters, campers
September 30, 2011 1:38 PM
On Friday, the McCann family announced it will work with Sustainable Resource Development to get the posters out to people — such as campers or hunters — who may be walking through the forest. Sustainable Resource Development will hand out a poster with every hunting license issued, and will keep copies in their trucks to hand out to the public.

The $60,000 Crime Stoppers award for any information about the whereabouts of Lyle and Marie is still available, said the couple’s son Bret McCann. The award remains uncollected.
read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/McCann+family+seeks+help+from+hunters+campers/5484517/story.html

Suspect in missing couple case on trial for 14 unrelated charges
By Jana G. Pruden, Edmonton Journal October 4, 2011
Wayne Sparshu says he is "75-percent certain" it was Travis Vader who tried to steal his trailer - and at one point came at him holding a screwdriver - during an odd encounter on Sparshu's property in the early hours of Dec. 8, 2009.

The man identified himself as Rodney Hines, but Sparshu later picked Vader out of an RCMP photo lineup.
During the first day of Vader's trial, Sparshu testified that he heard a truck on his property early on the morning of Dec. 8, 2009, and went outside to find a muscular, red-haired man trying to steal his trailer.

Sparshu said the man claimed some "bad guys" had told him to take the trailer, then provided Sparshu with a list of names. After a brief conversation, Sparshu told the man to leave, and the man unhooked the trailer and began to drive away.

But Sparshu said the man then stopped, got out of the truck and approached him with a screwdriver in his hand.

"What are you doing with that screwdriver?" Sparshu asked.

The man replied that it had been in his pocket.

Sparshu again told the man to leave and this time the man drove away.

Sparshu said he noted the licence plate of the truck and called the police after the suspect left.

The truck, a work vehicle belonging to Steeplejack Services, was later found smashed and burned, with flat tires.
full article: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Suspect+missing+couple+case+trial+unrelated+charges/5498078/story.html

McCann suspect guilty of unrelated charges
A suspect in the disappearance of a St. Albert, Atla., couple was found guilty Thursday on a dozen non-related charges.
Travis Vader was convicted on a number of counts including break and enter, theft and arson arising from a crime spree dating back to December 2009.
More...

I say torture him until he tells where they are. jmo

I really thought that this case would have been solved long ago. Not that I am blaming LE, I just thought things would fall into place better that they have and that more evidence would have emerged.

How disappointing. :(

Still thinking about this lovely couple and their family.

Suspect in couple&#8217;s disappearance seeks reduced sentence for crime spree

December 6, 2011 - EDMONTON - The man identified by RCMP as the sole suspect in the disappearance of Lyle and Marie McCann is seeking a reduced prison sentence because of alleged poor treatment at the Edmonton Remand Centre.

Travis Edward Vader was convicted in October of 12 wide-ranging charges including break and enter, theft, possession of stolen property, attempted theft, operating a vehicle while disqualified and arson. The charges all stemmed from a crime spree in the Whitecourt area in which Vader stole a scaffolding truck and set it on fire.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
At times during his testimony, Vader wore a smirk on his face. At other times, he appeared choked up.

Vader said he went through &#8220;daily torment&#8221; because he&#8217;d been publicly identified as a suspect in the McCann case. Vader referred to them as &#8220;that old couple.&#8221;

Corrections officers and inmates would constantly ask him what he had done with the bodies of the missing McCanns
, he testified.
full article: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Suspect+couple+disappearance+seeks+reduced+sentence+crime+spree/5820850/story.html

McCann suspect sentenced on unrelated charges

A suspect in the disappearance of a St. Albert, Alta., couple was sentenced Thursday to almost three years in custody on a dozen charges unrelated to the missing seniors.

[snip]

Edmonton's Court of Queen's Bench Justice Joanne Veit sentenced Vader to 33½ months, but with time served taken into account, the sentence translates into one day in custody.

Vader, however, will remain in custody while awaiting two other trials on even more charges.

More: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/12/22/edmonton-vader-sentence.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back