Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #2 *T. Vader guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This article was originally linked in post #492 -

A month before the trial, the RCMP provided the Crown with 5,000 documents related to the case.
The brief also said an RCMP sergeant "discovered that a collection of investigator's notes had been left sealed within a number of envelopes held in the possession ... of the forensic identification section."
Shortly after the abuse of process hearing began last year, Doyle said under oath she had lost all confidence in the RCMP's ability to turn over all evidence in the double-murder investigation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...paid-informant-court-documents-show-1.3400147

Unable to comprehend the RCMP's actions - withholding those documents was a sure way to halt the 2014 trial and have the charges stayed. Resurrecting the charges 9 months later was a sure way for the defense to call for an abuse of process hearing. Doyle's admitted lack of confidence in the RCMP's ability to turn over all evidence is ....? Evidence left with the Forensic Ident Section? As in fingerprints and DNA?

This decision is scheduled to be heard tomorrow, Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016.

A decision is expected Tuesday in an abuse-of-process application by Travis Vader, who is alleged to have killed St. Albert seniors Lyle and Marie McCann in the summer of 2010.
University of Alberta law professor Steven Penney said a stay on Tuesday would be the end of the prosecution, subject to an appeal by the Crown. Unlike the earlier stay of the charges against Vader, charges stayed by a judge cannot be recommenced.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/travis-vader-abuse-of-process-decision-coming-tuesday

This decision is scheduled to be heard tomorrow, Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016.

A decision is expected Tuesday in an abuse-of-process application by Travis Vader, who is alleged to have killed St. Albert seniors Lyle and Marie McCann in the summer of 2010.
University of Alberta law professor Steven Penney said a stay on Tuesday would be the end of the prosecution, subject to an appeal by the Crown. Unlike the earlier stay of the charges against Vader, charges stayed by a judge cannot be recommenced.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/travis-vader-abuse-of-process-decision-coming-tuesday

It may be the end of the line tomorrow.

Agree Snowglobe - was stunned when the Crown testified in this abuse of process hearing that she has lost all confidence in the RCMP handing over all evidence - see post #503.

To me, she is saying 'your honor, I don't think this guy has any chance at a fair trial'.

The Crown has admitted Vader’s charter rights were breached by the “egregious disclosure mess” and says Mounties have since made changes to the way they handle disclosure in major investigations.
“They’ve taken significant steps to try to ensure something like this does not happen again,” Crown prosecutor Ashley Finlayson added.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2477254/j...s-in-case-of-travis-vader-and-missing-couple/

The oldest police force in Canada doesn't quite know what to do to get a case to court? And they need a Crown prosecutor to announce for them that they have taken steps to 'try' and ensure something like this does not happen again?

Imo, the RCMP should be making that announcement themselves.

Fwiw, the one thing that will convince me that the RCMP have been on the right track all along, and are not overstating what they have, is the forensic analysis of the beer can - along with pictures in sequential order showing that beer can in the SUV when the RCMP located it.

In the second video in this report, it's stated the recently released court documents on forensic evidence are hand written notes only. So not very definitive yet. I say this mainly in consideration of the paid in-custody informant they tried to hide. $22,000 and the guy wanted more to say where the bodies are. I'd try and hide that as well.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2477254/j...s-in-case-of-travis-vader-and-missing-couple/

Would the RCMP go so far as to smuggle the same type of beer into the jail where Vader and this paid informant were? Looking forward to seeing if this informant testifies or not. Find it so difficult to know just how truthful the RCMP have been on this one.

Fwiw, the one thing that will convince me that the RCMP have been on the right track all along, and are not overstating what they have, is the forensic analysis of the beer can - along with pictures in sequential order showing that beer can in the SUV when the RCMP located it.

In the second video in this report, it's stated the recently released court documents on forensic evidence are hand written notes only. So not very definitive yet. I say this mainly in consideration of the paid in-custody informant they tried to hide. $22,000 and the guy wanted more to say where the bodies are. I'd try and hide that as well.

Would the RCMP go so far as to smuggle the same type of beer into the jail where Vader and this paid informant were? Looking forward to seeing if this informant testifies or not. Find it so difficult to know just how truthful the RCMP have been on this one.

It takes a lot of circumstantial evidence to get a murder conviction when the bodies haven't been recovered. This case could fall apart at trial, IMO.

This case has touched my heart like no other. Sending prayers of love and support to the McCann family and friends.

Please know that we care very much about you and your parents. Remember that your parents' light will live forever in your hearts and it is evident that their goodness is present in you all.

Found this interesting - a timeline of events from Global News -

April 18: Vader is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of the McCanns.

May 1: Vader is convicted of drug trafficking, theft and weapons charges that occurred in the Barrhead area in June 2010.

Oct. 19: Before he can be sentenced for those offences, a judge declares a mistrial because evidence was not properly disclosed to the defence. Justice June Ross cites the RCMP as “negligent” and orders a new trial.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2563699/timeline-the-key-events-in-the-travis-vader-case/

That's twice the RCMP have withheld evidence from Vader's defence - the drug trafficking/theft/weapons charge in 2012, then again in 2014 when TV's first trial for murdering the McCann's was to get underway.

In 2014 Vader was found not guilty in a re-trial on the drugs/theft/weapons charges.

What? I didn't know that.

Travis Vader defence says other suspects will be named during trial

The day Lyle and Marie McCann were last seen alive, a cellphone they carried for emergencies was used to make seven calls and send two text messages.

All went to a woman named Amber Williams, who was Travis Vader's ex-girlfriend.

Those details emerged in Edmonton Court of Queen's Bench on Tuesday morning as Vader's first-degree murder trial got underway.

As the trial opened, the prosecution for the first time listed key pieces of evidence it said were gathered by hundreds of RCMP officers who investigated the deaths of the McCanns.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/travis-vader-lyle-marie-mccann-trial-1.3479731

Travis Vader defence says other suspects will be named during trial

The day Lyle and Marie McCann were last seen alive, a cellphone they carried for emergencies was used to make seven calls and send two text messages.

All went to a woman named Amber Williams, who was Travis Vader's ex-girlfriend.

Those details emerged in Edmonton Court of Queen's Bench on Tuesday morning as Vader's first-degree murder trial got underway.

As the trial opened, the prosecution for the first time listed key pieces of evidence it said were gathered by hundreds of RCMP officers who investigated the deaths of the McCanns.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/travis-vader-lyle-marie-mccann-trial-1.3479731
It looks like the defense is going to be SODDI with a dash of 'we don't even know if the victims are dead' thrown in for good measure. I think there is plenty of evidence pointing directly at Vader and only Vader. :moo:

It looks like the defense is going to be SODDI with a dash of 'we don't even know if the victims are dead' thrown in for good measure. I think there is plenty of evidence pointing directly at Vader and only Vader. :moo:
I think the defence is going to go for the ex girl friend or her bf.
I also think there is plenty of evidence that points to Vadar and he is no OJ

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back