Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #2 *T. Vader guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lberta-mountie-with-troubled-career-1.3550871

On the first day of the Travis Vader murder trial in March, the accused killer's lawyer criticized what he called the RCMP's "negligence and inept investigation."

Brian Beresh said the Mountie who "mishandled" the McCanns' motorhome fire scene — a key crime scene site for possible evidence in the disappearance of the St. Albert couple Vader is accused of murdering — was "eventually fired by the RCMP."

That's what Beresh thought, but he was wrong.

Const. Liam MacNeil is still a Mountie. And he's in trouble again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nder-heavy-security-at-murder-trial-1.3557814

Travis Vader frequently stole trucks and made a habit of burning them afterwards, according to a star Crown witness who testified under heavy security Thursday in an Edmonton courtroom...

Olsen said around 10:30 a.m. on July 3, Vader visited him in the town of Peers, driving a truck that looked like the stolen white pickup...

Vader returned to Olsen's mobile home around 5 p.m. that day, this time driving a different vehicle. Olsen said Vader backed a light-green Hyundai SUV into Olsen's driveway, close to the front steps, then came inside the trailer.

Olsen described the SUV as "clean. Really clean. It looked like new."

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...riving-suv-similar-to-missing-couples-vehicle

Olson testified Vader did not appear to be under the influence of drugs at the time.

“He seemed agitated, upset about something,” said Olson, adding Vader kept talking about his ex-girlfriend Amber Williams and how he “really wanted” to reach her by telephone.

Olson testified Vader told him he was broke when he first saw him that day, but said he had a small roll of bills in his pocket when he returned in the SUV and gave him $50 to go to the nearby store and buy a $25 phone card and a case of Boxer beer.

This case drives me batty fwiw, so walked away for a while. Looking at this article from CBC today -

Donald Bulmer preferred to turn a blind eye whenever anything controversial or illegal came up.

With his arms crossed on the witness stand, Bulmer said, "I know he was taking some copper wherever he could find it. Other than that, I didn't ask. I didn't really want to know."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/travis-vader-torched-pick-up-truck-friend-testifies-1.3563505

There are many witnesses with unclean hands testifying here - how does one know which parts of their testimony to believe?

Previously an ex-gf of Vader testified she saw Vader on 4 July 2010 and thought he had something to do with the disappearance of Lyle & Marie - yet they were not reported missing until 10 July 2010.

Another friend has testified he saw Vader on a particular day in a field and brought him food - then said no I did not see him in a field. Then he testified yes I did see him in a field and he was hungry - then no he didn't. Not sure how this friends testimony was left - yes he saw Vader or no he didn't.

This is aside from the jailhouse informant, who was paid $26K by the RCMP to befriend Vader in jail, then wanted more money to tell the RCMP where Vader said the bodies were.

Anyway, not seeing yet (although I have not read everything there is to read) how the Crown/RCMP thinks Vader got control of the McCann's and their motorhome/SUV between St Albert and Peers AB (where the burned motorhome was found). The distance is about 1 hour and 40 minutes according to google maps.

The short distance is baffling imo due to this article -

One section of the video showed a calendar in Lyle McCann’s study, showing the word “Kelowna” on July 5 and “Cultus Lake” on July 8.

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/arti...ording-made-to-Vader-at-RCMP-request-20160316

The McCann's were headed to the Chilliwack area of BC - to pick up their daughter and granddaughter on 10 July 2010 and go camping.

The calendar indicates the McCann's wanted to reach Kelowna, BC by 5 July - two days after they left. The total distance is just over 9 hours. Kelowna to Cultus Lake, BC (near Chilliwack) is another 3 hours - where they wanted to be 5 five days after they left.

It makes no sense to me that the McCann's traveled 1 hour and 40 minutes for the first leg of their trip and parked the motorhome. My impression from various testimony is, that is the theory of the Crown/RCMP. From the writing on home calendar, imo, they wanted to drive 3 to 5 hours per day and enjoy their motorhome and camping along the way.

Still wondering about the friend/acquaintance of Vader and McColman who lived 800 meters from the McCann's but has remained unnamed. The only thing that makes sense to me fwiw is, this person hitched a ride with the McCann's at the last minute, asking to go to or near the campground in Peers. Jmo.

From 7 May 2016 - a former cell mate testifies -

Prosecutor Jim Stewart said the first two conversations were recorded between Vader and his cell mate Elmer Cardinal on Oct. 12 and Oct. 13, 2011 at the Red Deer Remand Centre. They were both approximately 15 minutes long, and while the speech is unintelligible at some points in the conversation, much of it is clear.

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/Vader-discussed-alibi-with-cell-mate-20160507

Seriously? Another convict testifies? Is this the dude that collected $26K from the RCMP - then wanted more money to tell LE where Vader said the bodies were? The article doesn't say one way or another.

From 28 April 2016 - beer buddy testifies under heavy security -

Dave Olsen walked into the courtroom flanked by sheriffs and RCMP officers. He appeared to be nervous and wore an ill-fitting suit.

Throughout his testimony, two sheriffs stood at attention behind the witness box.

Court has been told that Olsen is under RCMP protection and was brought to Edmonton from an undisclosed location, and will return there once his testimony has concluded.

He testified the Mounties spent approximately $24,000 to relocate him, get him furniture, pay his first three months rent and provide food and transportation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nder-heavy-security-at-murder-trial-1.3557814

Vader supposedly beat his beer buddy up at one time, so the RCMP had to use heavy security while he came to court - and $24K was spent protecting him prior to that? The title does not reflect the drugs Vader and this buddy did together. Foolish imo.

The article continues -

Olsen told the prosecutor around 10:30 a.m. on July 3, Vader visited him in the town of Peers, driving a truck that looked like the stolen white pickup.

In cross-examination, he admitted Vader could have arrived the first time much later in the day, possibly at 2 or 3 p.m.

The time frame could end up being crucial to Vader's case. The Crown alleges Vader used the McCann's cell phone to send text messages to his ex-girlfriend at 2:28 and 2:32 p.m.
Vader returned to Olsen's mobile home around 5 p.m. that day, this time driving a different vehicle. Olsen said Vader backed a light-green Hyundai SUV into Olsen's driveway, close to the front steps, then came inside the trailer.

Olsen described the SUV as "clean. Really clean. It looked like new."

By then, Vader had money.

The McCann's are captured on video about 10:30 am on 3 July 2010 filling up with gas in St Albert - Vader arrives at his buddies place by 2:00 pm on that day - but not in the McCann's SUV. Vader comes back to the buddies house by 5:00 pm and has an SUV that looks like the McCann's vehicle and Vader has money.

This is one article where one is expected believe the McCann's drove for 1 hour and 40 minutes after filling up with gas and parked at the campground in Peers - Vader came across them in the campground, killed them, used the McCann's phone to contact his then gf then took the SUV and went back to his buddies place. The buddy doesn't testify as to Vader's demeanor on that second visit?

An article on Vader's DNA in the McCann's SUV -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/vader-s-dna-found-in-mccann-suv-murder-trial-hears-1.3525860

I would be a bigger believer on this testimony if the McCann's DNA was also found in their burned out SUV on the steering wheel and front seat(s). I see the beer can showed up in court at some point.

Seems most media presence wandered off about mid-April regarding this story.

Vader is not the smartest guy since becoming a drug addict. Still think there is reasonable doubt in his murder trial though.

Recap of testimony regarding Minnow Lake campground where the caretaker states he saw the McCann's motorhome and SUV at 6:30 am on 5 July 2010 (Monday). The caretaker was collecting garbage and looking for new arrivals using the self-registration box. He saw the motorhome burned a short distance away by 9:30 pm that evening.

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/arti...ted-at-Minnow-Lake-campground-July-5-20160317

So where was the motorhome and SUV after leaving St Albert about 10:30 am on 3 July (Saturday)? The distance is about 1 hour 40 minutes. The caretaker speaks about the weekend at the campground - does not say he saw these vehicles over the weekend.

In post #565 Vader's beer buddy testifies Vader came over to his place at 10:30 am on 3 July driving the stolen white pick-up - then changed that to as late as 2:00 pm on 3 July. Vader is supposed to have returned to the same buddies place by 5:00 pm driving an SUV similar to the McCann's.

Vader had the motorhome and SUV stashed away somewhere before arriving at the buddies place? Shows up to the buddies place with no money - goes away and comes back with money and different vehicle? Why not take the money and vehicle with him in the first place? Then late on the evening of 4 July moves motorhome and SUV to the campground? Then burns motorhome later in the day on 5 July?

Travis Vader is alleged to have been in the middle of stealing copper wire and a truck from a west Edmonton business when he was picked up by police for breaching other conditions of his release earlier this week.

What a loser. At least now that he's back in jail he should get to court on time each day. :facepalm: I feel bad that the McCann's are having to witness this defendant constantly thumbing his nose at the law, despite the repeated breaks he has been given.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...ested-by-edmonton-police-for-failed-drug-test

Cell phone calls -

"Hey babe its me how are doing today you know can still text my phone i can still recieve text i miss you so much," reads the first text sent at 4:28 p.m.

"I have been trying to call you and text you and email you and face book you and i cant get in touch with you its me t," the second text reads.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...the-day-they-were-killed-crown-says-1.3522067

According to phone records released by the Crown, the messages were sent at 2:28 p.m. and 2:32 p.m. on July 3, 2010, the last day the McCanns were seen alive.

“Hey babe its me how are you doing today you know you can still text my phone i can still receive text i miss you so much,” read the first message.

“I have been trying to call you and text you and email you and face book you and i cant get in touch with you its me t,” read the second message.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2620185/text-messages-show-travis-vader-used-mccanns-cellphone-crown/

Unsure what time the texts were sent from the McCann cell phone on 3 July - CBC states 4:28 pm, Global news says 2:28 pm. Both articles are dated 5 April 2016 - during the trial.

Travis Vader’s ex-girlfriend testified in his first-degree murder trial Wednesday. Amber Williams said a slew of texts were sent to her from Vader’s phone on July 3, 2010 along with two other texts and eight calls from a number she didn’t recognize. That number was registered to Lyle and Marie McCann.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2636401/w...s-between-vaders-phone-and-ex-shown-in-court/

Did not know Vader used his own phone to contact AW on 3 July 2010. AW also testified TV signed off on his texts with Travis and not the initial T or t.

Have been wondering why the McCann phone was used at all - if TV had his own phone and it was working, why would he use the McCann phone and implicate himself later during an investigation? Why did he use his own phone later on to contact AW?

One thing stood out for me regarding TV's 'friend' TM (now deceased) - this is testimony from WN - TV, TM and WN were all friends with the same interests -

Nikolyuk testified McColman was good at breaking into vehicles and stealing them.

McColman liked to break into abandoned farm homes and ransack them for things to steal and he would often stash stolen goods, including vehicles, at various locations, court heard.

“He would steal anything to survive,” said Nikolyuk, adding that he had also witnessed McColman douse vehicles with diesel fuel and torching them.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/03/...uggest-new-theory-in-st-albert-couples-murder

TM was also friends with 800 meter guy - still unnamed.

Is it possible 800 meter guy took control of the McCann's and met up with TM? TM seems to have been one to think ahead - could he have sent a text to AW from the McCann cellphone (TM was likely to have known of the break-up between AW and TV and that TV wanted her back)? Protecting himself from any involvement later on? It's not like these guys wouldn't turn on each other if they had to.

A defence witness for Travis Vader says she saw alleged victim Marie McCann at a campground on the day after the senior and her husband were supposedly killed. However, in cross examination, Foisy admitted she did not get a good look at the woman’s face. Foisy also told court she was watching a group of seven children at the time and said her group was preparing dinner.

I don't put much stock in what this witness thinks she saw because eyewitness testimony is quite unreliable, unless you have other corroborating evidence. For example, during the Tim Bosma trial, reporters have misidentified the colour of the clothing worn by two different witnesses. One witness was wearing black pants, while according to other reporters, she was wearing a red skirt (the red skirt was correct). Yesterday, some reported that the defendant who testified was wearing a red dress shirt with checks, while others reported it as a purple dress shirt. These are reporters who are trained observers and even they got this basic information incorrect, supporting my view that eyewitness testimony is not very reliable. :moo:

More at the link:
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...ested-by-edmonton-police-for-failed-drug-test

I don't think this witness saw Marie McCann on 4 July 2010 either.

By the same token, the friend who claims TV came to his place on 3 July 2010 (sometime between 10:30 am and 2:00 pm) - how long after the fact was he asked to recall this get together? How could he have been so sure of the date?

Here is an article from 9 Oct 2014 -

Vader, 42, was released from an Edmonton remand centre Wednesday night, hours after he was acquitted of several theft, drug, and firearm charges.

The charges were from June 2010 -

But Vader still faced several charges, dating back to June 2010, related to the theft of a truck, possession of an illegal firearm, and drug trafficking. His first trial on those charges ended in a mistrial two years ago. He was fully acquitted on Wednesday.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/travis...-in-jail-probably-destroyed-my-life-1.2046560

I think I'll reserve judgement on these new charges - the Crown's case on the murder of the McCann's is a bust imo. Vader may have been in the McCann vehicle at some point - maybe not. He may have stolen the SUV from the killer - maybe not. He may have been invited to drive the McCann SUV at some point - maybe not. But overpower and kill them - don't see it.

Fwiw - there was blood spatter on some canned goods in the SUV that is attributed to MM - the canned goods came from the motorhome. To me, the motorhome was stopped and the McCann's were bludgeoned. I think the McCann's were stopped to let someone out - not in. I think they knew the person they thought they were letting out and that person overpowered them in order to steal their property - they had to be killed in that persons mind. Jmo.

Here is an article from 9 Oct 2014 -

Vader, 42, was released from an Edmonton remand centre Wednesday night, hours after he was acquitted of several theft, drug, and firearm charges.

The charges were from June 2010 -

But Vader still faced several charges, dating back to June 2010, related to the theft of a truck, possession of an illegal firearm, and drug trafficking. His first trial on those charges ended in a mistrial two years ago. He was fully acquitted on Wednesday.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/travis...-in-jail-probably-destroyed-my-life-1.2046560

I think I'll reserve judgement on these new charges - the Crown's case on the murder of the McCann's is a bust imo. Vader may have been in the McCann vehicle at some point - maybe not. He may have stolen the SUV from the killer - maybe not. He may have been invited to drive the McCann SUV at some point - maybe not. But overpower and kill them - don't see it.

Fwiw - there was blood spatter on some canned goods in the SUV that is attributed to MM - the canned goods came from the motorhome. To me, the motorhome was stopped and the McCann's were bludgeoned. I think the McCann's were stopped to let someone out - not in. I think they knew the person they thought they were letting out and that person overpowered them in order to steal their property - they had to be killed in that persons mind. Jmo.
BUBM - This time, he was caught red-handed, with a stolen vehicle no less, because the ankle monitoring bracelet led the police right to him, thanks to his failed drug test. There is no way he's getting away with it this time. The forensic evidence against him in the McCann case is overwhelming and points directly to him and no one else. None of the scenarios you suggest are supported by testimony or evidence presented to date. I bet his lawyer is starting to regret taking this unmitigated recidivist on as a client. His lawyer also lied to the court when he stated that "There has been no suggestion during this trial that Mr. Vader has been under the use of any drugs." Well his failed drug test and being late to court 4 times, doesn't support that assertion.

Vader's latest girlfriend is also a piece of work, because she was right there when was he arrested for stealing copper wire, in the midst of violating his bail conditions and then had the nerve to beak off about it to the McCanns. :moo:

Vader is also accused of driving a stolen truck. His girlfriend, Samantha Dandeneault, told CBC she was with him at the time of the arrest and said he was the victim of police brutality.

"They took him down so hard they broke his monitoring ankle bracelet," she said. "And it's attached by a steel band."
Before court began on Thursday morning, the victims' son, Bret McCann, said Vader was making obscene gestures towards him, and that Dandeneault asked if they were happy Vader was back in custody.
McCann said he told her, "Yes. Absolutely."
At that point, he said Dandeneault suggested the family should move to the other side of the courtroom. A sheriff had to remove Vader to the cells area to calm him down.
The McCann family remained in the spots they have occupied throughout the trial.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...st-doubt-on-crown-s-murder-timeline-1.3580378

Vader is accused of further crimes - same as he was accused of theft, drug and firearm charges previously but was acquitted. The timing seems suspicious to me. Maybe he will be found guilty on these new charges - no one knows yet.

Under cross-examination, Skipper agreed other people could form different opinions relating to the DNA evidence.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...ts-in-suv-belonging-to-missing-alberta-couple

Fwiw, I want to see the right person jailed for the death of the McCann's - not the wrong person.

My neighbours (who happen to also be my sons great-grandparents) Are the brother and sister in law of Mr. McCann. They have been attending the trail the whole time and say that it completely mentally drains them. I feel so awful that this very elderly couple has to be spending their days in count for the murder of their (his) brother and sister in law. This has just been devastating to their family.

Vader is accused of further crimes - same as he was accused of theft, drug and firearm charges previously but was acquitted. The timing seems suspicious to me. Maybe he will be found guilty on these new charges - no one knows yet.

Under cross-examination, Skipper agreed other people could form different opinions relating to the DNA evidence.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...ts-in-suv-belonging-to-missing-alberta-couple

Fwiw, I want to see the right person jailed for the death of the McCann's - not the wrong person.

Why do you think the timing is suspicious? Two things are obvious -crime is a way of life for TV and he's not very good at getting away with it.
The man is a hopeless criminal addict and he's not very bright.
IMHO

I'm not suddenly suspicious - my suspicions began when the murder charges were stayed, he was acquitted of other charges he was accused of and the RCMP 'forgot' to hand over about 5,000 pages of disclosure docs to the Crown, many of which were left in a forensic lab. Imo, the RCMP feel they don't have much of a case - I don't think they do either.

I'm not defending TV as a person - I don't know him and don't find myself very interested in what he does. I'm voicing my concerns over the RCMP convincing people TV is guilty of this crime before trial, but show contempt for the rules of a trial. Their circumstantial evidence is far to reliant on drug addicts and others where crime is a way of life - guessing anyone that has contempt for TV's drug/criminal way of life is wondering about truthfulness of the same type when they take the stand?

Read through thread #1 - while LE was still looking for the SUV some posters were toying with the idea that someone was already in the motorhome and that is how they took control of the McCann's. Did not follow this thread at the time - so unable to take credit for the idea.

Also found a statement from 'Bandana Dave' (DO) dated 24 July 2010 - article first linked in thread 1, page 30, post #443 -

The man who lives at the home is known locally as 'Bandana Dave,' a friend of Vader who continues to deny that the man was ever in the small town.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/multiple-sightings-of-vader-in-a-hyundai-1.535548

A few pages back DO's actual testimony was discussed. DO used meth with TV, was charged with cultivating weed and had a 'light criminal record' (in his words). TV apparently beat DO up at some point so the RCMP stepped in for this meth user and $24K later, DO had a new identity and new place to live. Cannot find any mention if TV was charged and or convicted for an assault on DO.

Olson, also known to locals in Peers, Alberta as “Bandana Dave” was escorted into the courtroom, with two sheriffs standing behind him during his testimony.

Brian Beresh suggested Olson was worried he could go to jail and tried to curry favour with police.

“Absolutely not,” Olson said. “I spoke up because it was the right thing to do.”

Beresh said a police “endorsement” kept him out of jail but Olson was adamant that his “light criminal record” was the reason he didn’t spend time behind bars.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2668482/c...e-says-he-saw-travis-vader-driving-green-suv/

"He took a small roll of bills out of his pocket," Olsen said. "I can't say for sure how much he had. And he sent me to the store with 50 bucks."

Vader had money left over, and wanted Olsen to buy him beer and a $25 mobile phone card.

Unsure why TV would waste money on a phone card that day if he had the McCann's phone.

I don't believe that the RCMP found a key for the McCann's SUV in the back of the stolen white pick-up that TV was riding around in before burning it - a year later an RCMP officer wanted a key for testing but there was no record a key had been found - the officer had to get one cut.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back