GUILTY Canada - Man, 26, beaten, tortured, starved, Regina, Sask, 16 April 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC, Paxton's description, photo, and truck info were released. Unless I've lost my mind, which is entirely possible. :crazy:

ETA: an arrest warrant was issued for Paxton in one province but not nationwide.

I saw pictures of the truck and Paxton, but I thought these were just released by the family.

There is an arrest warrant out for Paxton in one province? Do you recall where you read this?

I have read the entire gangstersout blog that Patsy posted a link to along with viewing screen captures of the facebook pages with posts that have since been removed. This family has crossed the line as far as I am concerned. They are exploiting this poor man. Whatever has happened to him there is no reason to splash shocking pictures of him everywhere they can. I could never do this to my child and if I had a parent who held me out for the world to see I would rather have died. I don't believe he could point to a suspect let alone name one. I wish I had never watched that video....he will never be the same. I have seen pictures of him after the accident last fall and he is very much thinner than the photo his family has shown. A picture of him and his daughter shows that. The family is unashamedly using this as a way to gain sympathy and funds for themselves. JMHO!

Jaxson, I have to agree with you. I was actually anxious to watch the video -- was excited to see the light in this young man's face after such a horrific ordeal. But then I watched it. The condescending voice of the guy taking the video, Dustin's uncomfortable vibe.....it gave me the creeps. It was coached and awkward, and I felt a tremendous sadness for Dustin after watching it.

bbm I thought the work accident was in the fall of 2009 and the stab wounds were last month. Do you have copies of the medical records from the work accident to show stab wounds, can you sight a source please?

The "work-related" accident that happened in the Fall 09: the family released a list of injuries on their facebook page recently.

http://dustinlafortune.com/category/health-updates/

If the information is complete and accurate, it raises a lot of questions as to why the hospital failed to act or alert police to an "assault".

Everyone - this is a victim friendly forum. Victim includes not only the victim of the assualt/abuse, but their family.

Posts that disparage family members will be removed unless there is a link to information, published by LE or the mainstream media that shows there is a reason to suspect/question the family.

Opinions, such as opinions about the recent video, are allowed providing they are not outright bashing of a family member.

If you have questions - contact a mod and ask before posting. We would rather help you get it right before posting, than remove the post for getting it wrong.

Salem

I will not even pretend to know how things work with LE and the legal system north of the border. Can someone explain the warrant in one province but not nationwide thing? Is that standard operating procedure or is that unusual in this case? Also, does this mean there is no APB or BOLO type of order nationwide?

Sorry, but I know next to nothing of my neighbor to the north and their system of doing things. TIA

Wyome, IIRC their is surveillance video of the roomate dropping the vic off at the hospital.

Thanks, I didn't know this.

If it's true police are actively searching for Paxton and there's a warrant out for his arrest in one province, then maybe they'll release the tapes if/when they decide to ask for the public's help in finding him.

The "work-related" accident that happened in the Fall 09: the family released a list of injuries on their facebook page recently.

If the information is complete and accurate, it raises a lot of questions as to why the hospital failed to act or alert police to an "assault".

From what little info we have so far, this is to address this and a few other poster's questions:

- The police in Calgary last fall were notified. Dustin's story to LE and the hospital was that he was randomly mugged. He was thin then but not so much that they suspected starvation/torture. He didn't have the mouth injuries yet either. So they didn't take it seriously, or "sort of" investigated but never found the "mugger." He was released to Paxton, who had brought him in, apparently. His story to friends and family was that a freezer (IIRC) fell on him.

- Toxicology may or may not have been done in Calgary, it is info they're still digging for. But it was done in Regina and no drugs or alcohol were detected. No rape kit was done at either hospital although now in Regina he has injuries consistent with sexual assault.

Some balls were dropped here, no question.

What the heck is going on? This case is strange enough, and now all this other stuff. I'll admit that I'm a bit confused.

What the heck is going on? This case is strange enough, and now all this other stuff. I'll admit that I'm a bit confused.

:) I'm staying up with all this stuff and I'm still confused....don't feel bad.

Jaxson, I have to agree with you. I was actually anxious to watch the video -- was excited to see the light in this young man's face after such a horrific ordeal. But then I watched it. The condescending voice of the guy taking the video, Dustin's uncomfortable vibe.....it gave me the creeps. It was coached and awkward, and I felt a tremendous sadness for Dustin after watching it.

The guy taking the video is his cousin. He didn't seem condescending to me at all. I thought it was quite touching. Supposedly his cousin is his best friend.

:) I'm staying up with all this stuff and I'm still confused....don't feel bad.

I agree, this case is as confusing as it is horrible. I wish I knew more about how Canadian LE works.

Thank you I was just coming to post this link, alot of information on Dustin and his condition, seems that this may have been going on for quite sometime.

More information about the suspect, Dustin Paxton, from Dustin L's Facebook page:

• Dustin Ward Paxton is also known as "D"
• Paxton is roughly 29-32 yrs of age.
• Paxton does NOT have a driver's license.
• Paxton was born in Manitoba. He grew up and went to school in rural communities outside Winnipeg. His parents live in Gimli, Mb.
• He committed crimes as a young offender and later as an adult, a Manitoba warrant was issued for his arrest. He was on the 2007 Crimestoppers Most Wanted List.
• Paxton advertises on Used Calgary, Kijiji and other internet classified pages. He is computer savvy.
• Paxton is an OEM importer. He buys computer/cell phone/digital parts from China. He also buys truck/car parts.
• Among his other money earning ventures, Paxton buys, sells and possibly manufactures' drugs.
• Dustin Ward Paxton is an extremely violent person. Before Dustin, Paxton seriously assaulted at least one other person that we know about...that person came forward and offered information to the police.

I'm off to dig up more...I NEED to know what on Earth is going on with this!

TY Reen. Any idea what he was on teh Crimestoppers most wanted list for? Wondering if it was a violent crime and if his criminal history contains a pattern of escalating violence.

More information about the suspect, Dustin Paxton, from Dustin L's Facebook page:

• Dustin Ward Paxton is also known as "D"
• Paxton is roughly 29-32 yrs of age.
• Paxton does NOT have a driver's license.
• Paxton was born in Manitoba. He grew up and went to school in rural communities outside Winnipeg. His parents live in Gimli, Mb.
• He committed crimes as a young offender and later as an adult, a Manitoba warrant was issued for his arrest. He was on the 2007 Crimestoppers Most Wanted List.
• Paxton advertises on Used Calgary, Kijiji and other internet classified pages. He is computer savvy.
• Paxton is an OEM importer. He buys computer/cell phone/digital parts from China. He also buys truck/car parts.
• Among his other money earning ventures, Paxton buys, sells and possibly manufactures' drugs.
• Dustin Ward Paxton is an extremely violent person. Before Dustin, Paxton seriously assaulted at least one other person that we know about...that person came forward and offered information to the police.

I'm off to dig up more...I NEED to know what on Earth is going on with this!

Thanks. Apparently, the family has shared with news reporters that Dustin L himself had assaulted someone in the past, but that he's since put his life back together. No mention of when this was or if charges had been formally filed.

Someone asked Lindsey (xgirlfriend and mother of his child) recently if Dustin had cauliflower ears in late 09, because there was a photo that showed this symptom. She replied that yes, his ears were enlarged during this time. She said that he gave some bogus excuse that he got his ears stuck between a pizza oven or something like that (she didn't even buy it). Prolonged blows to the ears can sure cause cauliflower ears.

Torture victim’s amnesia a stumbling block for police

Memory loss may be one reason why police have not made any arrests seven weeks after Dustin LaFortune was dumped at a Regina hospital severely underweight, burned and with parts of his tongue and lips cut off.

“He ... has some difficulty recalling reliably a lot of detail, and that's what's required to be able to gather the evidence for this case,” police spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich said in an interview.

Ms. Popowich cited provincial privacy laws for not revealing details of Mr. LaFortune's medical condition. But his family says the 26-year-old appears to be suffering from retrograde amnesia — a specific type of memory loss brought on by trauma and which wipes out recollections of the time leading up to the trauma. He also suffered brain damage.

“Dustin may never remember all the details, the sequence et cetera,” reads a posting on the family's website. “Most of the severe deficits are in short-term memory. There may be some retrograde amnesia.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-a-stumbling-block-for-police/article1592709/

Beating victim may be suffering amnesia
By Tim Switzer, Regina Leader-Post

REGINA — As Dustin LaFortune continues to recover in hospital, Regina police hope to be able to get more information from the alleged assault victim — who is possibly suffering from amnesia.

In the most recent medical update posted on www.dustinlafortune.com, the man's family claims he might be dealing with retrograde amnesia and post-traumatic stress disorder and might never be able to remember the details of what led to his injuries.

"The inflammation of his brain is still evident although the bleeding has stopped," the website reads. "Progress has been slow but steady. Most of the severe deficits are in short-term memory."

Regina Police Service spokesperson Elizabeth Popowich said during the few times LaFortune has been interviewed following the alleged assault there have been some difficulties for investigators.

"He's having some difficulty recalling chronology and specific details and that does present a challenge in any investigation," said Popowich. "You have to have details to ever lay a charge."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Beating+victim+suffering+amnesia/3114743/story.html#ixzz0qNDuKaS3

LaFortune's earlier injuries unreported
Reported missing after failing to attend cousin's Manitoba wedding
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 | 5:44 AM MT .

A missing man who was dumped at a Regina hospital with horrific injuries was admitted to a Calgary intensive care unit before he disappeared.

Dustin LaFortune, 26, has been recovering from burn, stab and beating injuries since April when he was found severely emaciated. His family believes his severe injuries are a result of prolonged torture by a former roommate. Regina police only confirm that they're investigating the assault.

LaFortune's family, who have been lobbying for justice on their own website, said they discovered he was admitted to a Calgary hospital last fall — unconscious and with a brain injury. LaFortune had been working for a moving company in the city.

According to medical records pulled by LaFortune's family, he had a collapsed lung as well as rib and spine fractures. CBC News has learned the incident was documented as a workplace accident but never reported to Occupational Health and Safety or the Calgary police.

The unreported case has frustrated family and friends. A victims' rights group wonders if LaFortune's assault following his release from a Calgary hospital could have been prevented.

"Perhaps if there had been some intervention back then, somebody may have been able to step in and help protect this young man," said Heidi Illingworth, executive director of the Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/st...e-torture-assault-hospital.html#ixzz0qNEAXYsf

Surley they have video of the man dropping Dustin off at the hospital, why have they not tracked him down and questioned him (arrested him)? I mean claiming he was a cousin when he surley is not should have been the first clue right ?.....

I dunno if it is just a diference in police tactics from one side of the border or not but I too am very confused as to why Paxton hasn't at the very least been brought in for some pretty intense questioning?!?! What gives?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back