GUILTY Canada - Marc, 42, Debra, 48, & Jacob Richardson, 8, slain, Medicine Hat, 23 Apr 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Snipped from the news story above:

"He told me that he killed [J.R.'s] family the night before."
He said he "gutted them like fish," Mr. Whalley said.

That's when J.R. chirped in with her own version of events, he told the jury: "She said she killed her little brother and that he gargled. She sat there on the end of the bed and watched him gargle."

This is the girl they are going to release into our society in about 4 years.It scares the crap out of me.

That is seriously disgusting. I know she was only 12 at the time, but IMO that girl is pure EVIL. I certainly wouldn't want to run into her! I can't even BELIEVE she'll be out so soon.

Link from today: Triple murder suspect killed family but didn't plan it
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/12/01/steinke-murdertrial-day10.html

I can't believe this had the nerve to plead not guilty. Do you think he'll get life? With or without parole? Not sure how it works in Canada....TIA!

It depends if he is found guilty of premeditation or not.There is a chance he could be deemed a dangerous offender which is life without parole.

It depends if he is found guilty of premeditation or not.There is a chance he could be deemed a dangerous offender which is life without parole.

Thanks for that info. Just from reading all the articles on the trial, I think the prosecution has proved that without a doubt. He admits it himself on tape, he admits it in those online messages with JR, and two of his friends testified that he tried to recruit them. It seems like it's his word now against his friends and his own words then.

I hope they put away this animal for life. He seems like the most dangerous kind of criminal and shows absolutely no remorse. He's just trying to save his butt now.

jmo

He still lives in a fantasy world.He believes he will get out one day and he & JR will go away somewhere and live in a castle together.I don't know if he will get dangerous offender status if not he will be eligible for parole in 25 years.Which would make him about 50 + years old.

Steinkes mother testified today.

link

Thanks as always for the link Alta. I don't get it - so just because he was abused as a child, he is supposed to be excused for ending three innocent peoples' lives? I'm sorry, but that still doesn't make me feel any sympathy towards him. There are so many abuse cases where the abused didn't go out and murder innocent people. Is there a separate sentencing phase like there is in the US or is it all dealt with at one time? If there IS a sentencing phase, shouldn't his mom's testimony be entered then? I guess I just don't see why his mother is a defense witness....?

jmo

I think the defense was scrambling to find someone to testify on his behalf.ITA the abuse excuse doesn't work for me either.He knows right from wrong,and he will be sentenced all at once.I am betting by this time next week there will be a verdict and than we will await sentencing which I predict will be 25 years.Pathetic.

Todays proceedings

In a horrific case of life imitating art, Jeremy Steinke and his child girlfriend murdered her parents to become legends, a prosecutor suggested today.

link

Thank you Alta and PandaJ for keeping us updated here. What a truly sad situation. As for the testimony about Steinke's past, that is what they call mitigating circumstances. This is meant purely to invoke some sympathy and a minute bit of understanding of what went so wrong as to make this person kill, in hopes the jury will go for a lesser sentence. In the US it is of particular use in a Death Penalty case. Don't know if that helped any.

Thank you Alta and PandaJ for keeping us updated here. What a truly sad situation. As for the testimony about Steinke's past, that is what they call mitigating circumstances. This is meant purely to invoke some sympathy and a minute bit of understanding of what went so wrong as to make this person kill, in hopes the jury will go for a lessened sentence. In the US it is of particular use in a Death Penalty case. Don't know if that helped any.

Thanks for the explanation. :blowkiss:

I certainly hope it didn't work on those jurors. His own words are too damning, IMO.

Exactly what help was needed by the girl to sneak out of the house? Step 1 - wait for parent to go to sleep. Step 2 - tiptoe to door. Step 3 - walk out.

alternative plan - step 1 - wait for parents to go to sleep. Step 2 - open window. Step 3 - climb out.

How does JS sneaking in a basement window help get the girl out? it's harder to break in to a house than to get out....imo

The testimony of the abuse JS experienced as a child is sad, and I would love to toss the mom into a cell as well. No matter how he came to be such a pathetic loser, he still did the crime, and he is still guilty.

What scares me the most is the girl. I think she is pure evil, and despite her young age, I think she had an influence on JS. Not excusing him....Had she been under JS's influence, I believe that, after the deed was done, and she realized what had happened, she would have shown great remorse, like "what have I done? It was just a fantasy we talked about, I didn't think it would really happen!" and she would have melted down in emotion and regret. She would have gone to the authorities, she would not have run away with JS. She would not have been bragging about her little brother "Gargling" as he died.....that just chills me! That she so brazenly bragged about it. Pure evil.

I think the prosecution has done an excellent job.

imho

If we believe what Steinke says he fought and stabbed the parents downstairs in the basement area,by the time he went upstairs she had already slit her brothers throat.She was not scared,this was something they had talked about doing in online messages on different forums etc..Before they were all taken offline I was able to read this horrifying stuff they wrote and laughed about.This evil girl had this guy by the gonads,he did her bidding.She is not stupid,she walks away scot free in the end,with no record,a full life ahead of her and no family to tell her what to do anymore.She got exactly what she wanted.She is cold hearted,Karla Jr.

If we believe what Steinke says he fought and stabbed the parents downstairs in the basement area,by the time he went upstairs she had already slit her brothers throat.She was not scared,this was something they had talked about doing in online messages on different forums etc..Before they were all taken offline I was able to read this horrifying stuff they wrote and laughed about.This evil girl had this guy by the gonads,he did her bidding.She is not stupid,she walks away scot free in the end,with no record,a full life ahead of her and no family to tell her what to do anymore.She got exactly what she wanted.She is cold hearted,Karla Jr.

I completely agree on every point. When she is let back into society (which is alarmingly soon), everyone better be extremely careful around this girl. IMO She WILL be violent again. There is no way that six years in prison is going to change her. She is a psychopath and it's a shame that even though she shows no remorse, she will be allowed to go back to her normal life, without any consequences whatsoever. I remember when this case first became public, people were sticking up for her and saying that now she's an orphan, and she was too young to know what she was doing, etc. I believed then and even more so now that everyone who thought that was and is still WRONG. She is evil in every sense of the word.
Jeremy was just a sucker, and it looks like he STILL doesn't see it.

I wish they could both be put away for life. JMO

I knew it wouldn't take them long,yipeee.I will never forget what JR looks like,she will always be in my mind and I will be watching for her to slip up.And I will happily let everyone know when it happens.She isn't even in jail right now she is in a psycho some kind of center where she is getting treated with kid gloves,because they want to study her.Pfft she is just sitting there laughing inside biding her time.

I knew it wouldn't take them long,yipeee.I will never forget what JR looks like,she will always be in my mind and I will be watching for her to slip up.And I will happily let everyone know when it happens.She isn't even in jail right now she is in a psycho some kind of center where she is getting treated with kid gloves,because they want to study her.Pfft she is just sitting there laughing inside biding her time.

Seriously Alta, be careful! She is truly a psychopath and you and I will probably meet up here again in about 10 years when she slips up again. Sad!

jmo

You are both correct. We will be hearing of these two again. Hopefully nothing so heinous.

She will be out in 4 years,I figure we will be talking about her within 6-7.At this point she thinks she is so flippin smart,she got away with murder.What she doesn't get is that next time she will do real jail time.I wonder when she is released her family is going to allow her to live with them,or will they wash their hands of her.

Seriously Alta, be careful! She is truly a psychopath and you and I will probably meet up here again in about 10 years when she slips up again. Sad!

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23
Back