Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes this article (among many of its type) : irresponsible, very 'othering'

"In the final moments before her death, Mariam Makhniashvili stood alone on the shoulder of a Toronto expressway, half a world removed from the life she had known for more than 17 years in the mountainous west Asian country of Georgia. Then, she went over the concrete barrier and plunged five storys into a wooded ravine below".

The authors of the article don't know this they are imagining. And it is an unlikely scenario and hides the problem inherent in the theory: how do you stand "alone" on the edge of the busiest bridge in North America? "Half a world away" very isolating phrase and "mountaneous" and "West Asian" that can't be good! Why is the article not asking for witnesses to come forward who saw this unusual event? Why were and are LE not asking? As for Mariam we are now almost ready for charaterizations her her as an "inscrutable" Asian to emerge in the picture - wait that is in a subsequent paragraph.

"For 2½ years, the mystery captivated the city, a fascination deepened by Ms. Makhniashvili’s equally inscrutable personality. An introvert, she had few close friends, spending her time studying physics".

I got the impression she had a very wide range of interests not just physics and the article actually unwittingly later proves that but yes many of them academic we know she liked music the outdoors parks. Has it ever occurred to anyone that Mariam isn't here to tell us herself what her passions were? The friends from Georgia sound to me in articles like they care for her very much but the Globe would have preferred a bit more of a party animal. The article sort of blames her for leaving behind a "troubled" family.

"Searchers had not previously checked the spot where her remains were discovered. Her body could easily have lain there undetected since the day she vanished".

This is simply untrue the body could not easily have lain undetected since the day she "vanished".

"Investigators said she was alone when she died and that there was no sign of foul play. She left behind no note and there was nothing to say exactly what had brought her to the precipice".

Why would a paper suicide note survive 2 and a half years in situ? There is something almost macabre here she was alone at the top of the "precipe" she was alive when she fell, she was alone when she died. Note how this fits with the earlier characterization of Mariam as an introverted bookish loner.

"Frequent electrical blackouts led the family to spend a lot of time attending violin recitals in Tbilisi’s opera house – which had a generator – and the building became a fixture in Ms. Makhniashvili’s life. When she grew older, she had a season pass to see musical events, which she attended with her two close friends, Dea and Gvantsa. The trio bonded over a shared love of math and science. Instead of having slumber parties and gossiping, they studied together.

In late 2003, Mr. Makhniashvili moved to Los Angeles to pursue an academic job; his wife followed shortly after. For the next five years, the family lived apart, linked by long phone conversations on weekends. The father would send philosophy books to his children and they would read together, with Mariam translating English-language texts into Georgian. She had a particular interest in the philosophy of ethics and discipline."

They went to the violin concerts in search of light not from a love of music music contradicted in the next sentence by the seasons tickets with, wait for it, "two friends". I thought Mariam was a weird loner why is she behaving in this very cultured highly sociable way? Apparently she should have have been gossiping and having slumber parties a weird phrase sort of a blast from the past phrase. Mariam's chosen subjects of interest are suddenly no longer physics but ethics and "discipline". What does that latter term mean I think it is just a mistake of the authors?

"She started school in September, but left little impression in her brief time there". What could she possibly have done to make an impression in four days this was another major way of othering Mariam in emphasizing that nobody noticed her much sort of as if to say she deserved it.

Better stop just to say at the end the authors try to co opt statements of Mariam's father to the suicide theory they stop just short of that i.e. because he said he dreaded that her body was somewhere that he actually envisioned suicide a possibility in fact he adamantly rejected.

1. In the W5 show there is a shot of Mariam's Georgian passport issued in 2006. Were there plans for her to reunite with her parents earlier in the U.S.? Alternatively did she travel outside of Georgia at all?

2. At some point LE updated the description of Mariam reducing her estimated weight by at least 20 pounds. At the same time they released an updated photo which oddly shows someone who is heavier than Mariam , say, in the Union Station video the day before she went missing - she is often described as "slight".

So why is this the updated photo? And actually I assume it is a photo of Mariam since LE released it but frankly it doesn't really look like her I mean eye spacing, expression, hairline, especially shape of her nose many things see below. I have asked a couple of people more accomplished than me at looking at images and they said they would not normally think it is not the same person that is in the photo below. Yet is has to be her?

(Also here is a link to the same Globe article but with a better version of the photo attached note how much visibility there is through the trees in fall and winter and early spring it is far from being inpenetrable brush - though there are long grasses nearby - there is a photo I will attach again at some point of police looking in groups through the grass walking up the hill but it is on the OTHER side of the fence and as I understand the possibilities she would have had to have fallen quite close to the bridge certainly on the near side of the fence to the bridge there is a hole cut through the fence now possibly to access the remains or at least to communicate with other forensic searchers)

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/t...-disappearance/article2364305/?service=mobile.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2009/09/21/mariam-makhniashvili.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/tag/mariam-makhniashvili/
"A month after police confirmed they had found Mariam Makhniashvili’s remains at the bottom of a 401 overpass, one of the best potential clues into how she ended up there has evaporated.

Shortly after finding the missing teenager’s remains, police said they would attempt to retrieve Ministry of Transportation video footage from the relevant section of the 401.

But as Staff Inspector Greg McLane discovered, the retention period on that footage is six months, so any record of the time Mariam disappeared in Sept. 2009 is gone.

“As a result, we’re unable to cultivate any evidence or information [from the MTO cameras] that would assist us… We’re going to continue looking into other things,” Staff Insp. McLane said"

bbm

Interesting that they did not even consider that she had not been there the whole time. What if footage from the past six months showed someone dumping her? The footage should've been reviewed immediately after she was found. That's just sloppy not to do so.

psychics/mediums/visions are not allowed to be discussed here at Websleuths. Sorry.

:tyou:

My condolences to Mariam's loved ones and everyone here who came to watch out for and care about this lovely girl. Such a sad end. :(

After Mariam's bag was found, Outcast and I met to retrace Mariam's steps (in the earlier threads we posted photos and video of the areas of interest). I remember stopping at an overpass as we were walking and discussing whether she may have taken her life and that she could have jumped from one of the overpasses in Toronto. But surely by that time, someone would have found her if she had jumped? The answer was sadly 'no'.

I lost a friend to suicide over ten years ago. My beautiful, bright, charming friend jumped off the Bloor Viaduct. While many people can look at Mariam's possible end as being unthinkable, I know the unthinkable can and does happen.

With the benefit of hindsight, and with the presumption of suicide, for me the answers seem to be clear:

Mariam chose not to walk with her brother through the back doors of the school as they had done on the previous 3 or 4 mornings, she chose to walk around the school to the front so that she could simply walk off school property without having to explain anything to her brother or alert him in any way. She had time and freedom to carry out her plan.

I think she may have walked to Yonge and Eglinton and set her bag down there; she no longer needed it and leaving it close to where she would jump would flag where she died. I think she wanted to die as discretely and quietly as she had lived. I think she would have been surprised by how many people would end up searching for her.

The overpass she chose was close to the park she had been to with her family, she was familiar and comfortable with the area. I wouldn't have guessed it would be there because of the height of the overpass: approximately 50 feet. In comparison the Bloor Viaduct is approxiately 130 feet. How could she be so certain that she would die falling from that height? Or that someone would witness the fall and she might be saved?

The 401 is one of the busiest highways in the North America. Did she just somehow slip over in broad daylight without even one motorist noticing? Or did she go there and wait to do it under cover of the night? My friend chose the latter and her remains were not discovered until sunrise.

There's a documentary called 'The Bridge' which shows actually footage of people jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. Some of the jumpers simply walked along the bridge, mounted the barrier and slipped over in one swift movement. No fanfair, no sitting on the edge in conteplation. And some of the winesses doubted what their eyes had seen, the act was so swift. Is that what Mariam did?

What I learned after my friend's death is that when a person has decided on suicide, and they have a plan, they might feel a sense of relief as they now have a clear path to get them out of whatever pain they might be living with. Also, once a person has a clear plan to kill themselves, it is very difficult to take them off-course or deter them from doing it.

I think Mariam suffered the loss of her family from a young age for many years, and she was then sent to a new unfamiliar country away from everything she knew to live with family she hadn't seen for the last five formative years.

I hope that she is at peace, and I hope that her family will find peace as well.

Miriam's death was not suicide but rather abduction & murder because she didn't know the area where she was found.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22562319/...Second-Language-120-Eglinton-Ave-East-Toronto ... 2. Secondly see the above link on 120 Eglinton East where Mariam's backback was found. I cannot make head or tail of this but someone has gone to a lot of work trying to link up business addresses at the building especially internationally including Russia. It mentions Mariam not the business links the author. And the online name Fridman (i.e. a pseudonym) is the same I believe used by Langer when he was contacting Mariam's relatives in Georgia to inquire about whether Mr. M. had bail arrangments (source W5 show). So is this Langer's work? If so maybe someone who understands computers better than me can figure out what point he would was trying to make. And if he is suggesting criminality which I suppose he is not (?) why throw it up on-line so casually? It does show complexity that there was a lot happening at the building actually quite interesting in its on right.
<rsbm>

Just a rehash of my old posts here, but ...

Combine the extensive Russian influence associated with the Eglinton Av addy, with the specific name SM (mob godfather on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted" list), with the IK Toronto agency having a namesake in California (both agencies approx 1/2 mile from where VT lived in both countries), with MM's backpack being found outside that Eglinton Av location ... mob involvement has never been far from my mind in this case:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten

JMO

Miriam's death was not suicide but rather abduction & murder because she didn't know the area where she was found.

Although ITA that Mariam did not suicide, it is not true that she was unfamiliar with the area. Her family picnicked in the adjacent park.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22562319/...Second-Language-120-Eglinton-Ave-East-Toronto

2. Secondly see the above link on 120 Eglinton East where Mariam's backback was found. I cannot make head or tail of this but someone has gone to a lot of work trying to link up business addresses at the building especially internationally including Russia. It mentions Mariam not the business links the author. And the online name Fridman (i.e. a pseudonym) is the same I believe used by Langer when he was contacting Mariam's relatives in Georgia to inquire about whether Mr. M. had bail arrangments (source W5 show). So is this Langer's work? If so maybe someone who understands computers better than me can figure out what point he would was trying to make. And if he is suggesting criminality which I suppose he is not (?) why throw it up on-line so casually? It does show complexity that there was a lot happening at the building actually quite interesting in its on right.
<rsbm>

In that vein, you've probably already run across this, but Robert I. Friedman was an investigative journalist who died in 2002 ... one of his books was entitled "Red Mafia"
which today many journalists use as a reference work on Russian organized crime in the U.S.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2002-07-09/news/inconvenient-truth/1/

<rsbm>

In that vein, you've probably already run across this, but Robert I. Friedman was an investigative journalist who died in 2002 ... one of his books was entitled "Red Mafia"

http://www.villagevoice.com/2002-07-09/news/inconvenient-truth/1/

Yes I have always thought maybe the screenname of Robert Fridman was homage to the Village Voice reporter. Here is an article of his on Mogelivich old though from 1998 or so. What he did was heroic.

http://www.villagevoice.com/1998-05-26/news/the-most-dangerous-mobster-in-the-world/

This probably does not connect to this case, but the victims are from Forest Hill area ...
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2013/01/20130111-074605.html

"Staff at Bialik Hebrew Day School, up the street from the couple's building, are also mourning the deaths of Wise, their former vice-principal, and her husband.

"Rochelle was an adored member of the community and respected as an outstanding educator and woman of great character and kind spirit," the school said in a statement.

Wise was vice-principal at the elementary school for many years.

"She retired about two and a half years ago," the mother said. "She was a lovely lady."

Investigators remain tight-lipped about the slayings, so how and why they were killed is still a mystery."

This probably does not connect to this case, but the victims are from Forest Hill area ...
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2013/01/20130111-074605.html

"Staff at Bialik Hebrew Day School, up the street from the couple's building, are also mourning the deaths of Wise, their former vice-principal, and her husband.

"Rochelle was an adored member of the community and respected as an outstanding educator and woman of great character and kind spirit," the school said in a statement.

Wise was vice-principal at the elementary school for many years.

"She retired about two and a half years ago," the mother said. "She was a lovely lady."

Investigators remain tight-lipped about the slayings, so how and why they were killed is still a mystery."
The couple lived in Toronto&#8217;s Bathurst and Eglinton Ave. area. A neighbour in the building, who identified herself only as Sherry, said Pichosky and Wise were a &#8220;lovely couple.&#8221;
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News
FL - Double homicide of Canadian couple, Hallandale Beach, Jan.10, 2013

As far as Mogelivich one reason it is a touchy area (one among several) is that because one of his passports was Israeli there is lots of Anti-Semitic rambling about him on the internet. Friedman's articles in Village Voice of course do not fall obviously into that category.

It is widely reported that Mogelivich liked to hire PhDs that is an interesting detail given Mariam's dad had one of course lots of people do. Is it possible that Vakhtang M. wittingly or unwittingly worked for any of his businesses - remember that he was in many circles Mog. was a highly respected businessman and had links to major Canadian politicians. We have little information about how these organizations might have morphed since Friedman's articles and the FBI charges which in the spirit of WS we would have to remember are just charges.

From what we know there is of course 1. nothing Mariam could have done to make anyone hostile or 2. nothing that her Dad or Mom could have done that would have caused such terrible retribution. But certainly after Claremont we know nothing about how Mariam's Dad was supporting himself - so I guess that would open the door to speculation - but it is a long way from having a hole in your resume (that might easily be explained) to having someone eliminate your child. We have nothing that would even begin to make sense of that.

Re SillyBilly's point about Mariam knowing about the park. I am pretty sure that her family said that their explorations in Earl Bales were fairly limited, picnics. Now from street level at Earl Bales you can walk down to a ravine eventually you come to a fence where the golf course begins - I do not know if that fence is always closed it was when I checked it out. It would be possible to get around the fence on a small embankment very easy in fact for a young person. You would have to ignore the signs. But it is just very unlikely she would know that the park joins up to the golf course and the bridge. I would say almost impossible unless there is something we don't know or if she was studying aerial maps. So we would have to posit - she goes to the park evading all cameras and witnesses en route after pulling off a disappearing act at the school- walks down into the ravine - trespasses onto the golf course - (it is more of an issue here than by the clubhouse) sees a bridge and decides to end her life - somehow clambering onto it evading all notice and jumping from a height that could possibly not even kill her right away. If you happen to live in Toronto and check this out on the ground you will see how incredible it is. When you add what we know about Mariam I am tempted to say impossible.

But it WOULD be close enough that it would be an message say to V.M.

In the spirit with D.'s linking to the Florida crimes just in case- when I read about the murder of the three Kurdish activists in Paris this week I was surprised that the younger one reminded me of Mariam in a few photos - so I searched Kurds in Georgia and found that it is an ancient (13th century or so on) and important minority community in Georgia. I have no knowledge that Mariam has Kurdish ancestry though I only know she is Georgian. I think genetically many of the communities in Georgia are similar even if different culturally or religiously because they have been there hundreds of years, intermarriage etc. But Georgia has a fascinating complex history - so my point is there may be many pieces we don't understand assuming any of them are relevant to Maram's fate.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/police...ear+vaughan+golf+course/6442787760/story.html

Well I I'll link this just in case (golf course, off Bathurst) - hopefully some kind of natural death, someone who had a heart attack while out walking, whatever.

(Two things that are relevant to M.M. in the video in any case 1. they bring up the factor of animal induced scatter of the remains - this was arguably mysterious in the Mariam case that 50 feet from footpaths and the golf course nothing turned up for so long and 2. they mention transient people living on the fringes of the golf course which again, was brought up in the M. case - very true of the Hoggs Hollow bridge so another group of people that might (arguably) have happened on the remains).

Wondering if the Bolshoi ever performed in Georgia, also for the first time, wondering if people were envious of the M. family's move to North A?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2013/01/18/20506856.html
MOSCOW - A masked attacker threw acid in the face of the artistic director of Russia&#8217;s prestigious Bolshoi Ballet, endangering his eyesight, in what colleagues said on Friday was the culmination of a two-week campaign of intimidation.

Sergei Filin, a former leading dancer at the Bolshoi who has been in the high-pressure job at the heart of Russian culture for nearly two years, was attacked outside his Moscow apartment building as he returned from an outing on Thursday night.

Such is the prestige of Filin&#8217;s post in Russian life, and its power inside the theatre, that stunned current and former colleagues suggested the motive could have been envy, rivalry or even competition for roles.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/missing-teen-s-parents-say-the-waiting-is-torture-1.439510

The picture of Mariam's room in this article/video anyone know if it faced north or south? What floor? What could she see from her room? What could she see from her classrooms?

Have been looking at the first thread a bit. Around posts 830s to 840s there is discussion about Leland Lehrman supposedly son of Lewis Lerhman. The question was why Mariam's Dad befriended him or vice versa on Facebook a few days after Mariam went missing. I never saw that page but V.M. apparently had just a new friends at the time so why this somewhat controversial figure? Anyone know anything more about this?

Jim Junkin asks Mariam's parents do you spend time looking through old photos at this point Lela is looking through a small album. Just nostalgia or were they tryng to see who might be in the background of any of the photos whether from the summer of 2009 or Georgia? I can't really read the demeanour of her parents that well I mean it was of course an impossible position to be in - Lela says something enigmatic about not staying longer...... kind of tight-lipped perhaps (?).... not being sure of the source of anything I guess.

Sorry meant to add this article on the role of the forensic anthropologist Gruspier ( I think Kathy) - given all this including her role - amazing DNA came back so fast....no doubt because it was such a high profile case (?).
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2012/03/02/was_the_body_found_this_week_mariam_makhnisahvili.html

There are many interesting articles about her work she seems very accomplished. Here is another interesting article about an unrelated case - but interesting since I was unaware of the role of an anthropologist in Mariam's case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/07/12/tbay-remains-residential-school.html

Sorry for hogging thread:

1. City News December 2012 - announcer is agitated and nervous unclear why - note emphasis once again on Mariam having no friends, emphasis (still?) on her "vanishing off the face of the earth" emphasis on the suicide theory taken as a given, "sincere" solicitude to V.M., use of the imperative "you have to imagine", odd change to slight smirk as says it is a parents job to keep their children safe and happy - insists the parents will never get over it. Strange coverage IMO.

http://www.citynews.ca/2012/12/26/citynews-rewind-2012-pam-seatle-on-mariam-makhniashvili/

2. Can't post it here but there is some recent "analysis" elsewhere (google Mariam Makhniashvili 2013 and it is on the first page of hits about 6 down at the moment of writing) on a "wild" site from February 5th 2013 with "information" (?) on Mariam's case something like "missing close to home" as the tag-line. I read with large grain of salt but worth reading still.

3. http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/11/04/pf-15975466.html

This an old story from director Claremont V.M. was a guest scholar: why is he telling this story, why is he quoting (supposedly) from this letter the point of which seems to be to discredit V.M.- the date of the letter is within a month of when V.M. gave the lecture mentioned - so why would he be writing them a letter, he would see them at the centre there - Q. would have to bring out this old letter from a few years before and dust it off why would be still have it? - note how the lecture taken out of context makes the reader associate V.M. and "split brain" Also V.M. is made to look a bit silly arguing in terms of ethics and existential situations with robbers outside the Tblisi bus and the entrance to his university - philosophical argument backed up at knifepoint.

The Anabaptist Scholars network Q. is part of originates from Waterloo and Toronto no indication V.M. was part of that though. On another note Anabaptist churches play an interesting role in managing right risk offenders in Toronto unclear what they do exactly. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/sexcrimes/bas.php - the overall context is threat assessment and they specifically seem to help with managing dangerous and long term sex offenders.

One "fact" in the story that he was there for 3 years.

A year ago one element of what W5 quite correctly called the Mariam Mystery began to be played out.

Just to say there is still a mystery.

The mystery still begs to be solved, for her sake,for her family's sake who suffered so unendurably, for everyone's sake.

One of Canada's Nobel Prize winners I think came to Canada as a second choice, because they couldn't get into the US for political reasons during the Cold War. I do not know if Canada was her family's first choice, it seems maybe not, but Mariam too might well have made spectacular contributions. In any case she didn't deserve to be the 'girl interrupted' in this narrative that quite rightly earned world wide attention.... I still puzzle over those few metres, from door to door - still hope for answers - for the sake of every young person to whom the future still seems rich, fathomless - that they aren't robbed of that.

http://magazine.godsdirectcontact.net/english/190/sp_23.htm

http://suprememastertv.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=vege_r&wr_id=67

http://www.suprememastertv.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=n_news&wr_id=1400&goto_url=&page=7&url=link2_0

http://shelf3d.com/ZNrs565yo9Q#TODA...khatovna Akhmadulina Remembered - 29 Nov 2011

http://alt.society.liberalism.narki...ill-s-pals-still-fugitives-from-justice-folks

http://www.twelvetribes-ex.com/?page_id=1589

Wonder if Mariam watched English TV in Tblisi on Ching Hai's TV station? A few links here above.

Apparently now closed by previously restaurant Loving Hut on Eglinton near FHCI - just west of there. 12 Tribes for comparison mentions Tblisi gives "cult" figures of Armenia over 300,000. Dragon boat races to be looked at again with eye on participation by this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme