GUILTY Canada - Melissa Richmond, 28, stabbed to death, Winchester, Ont, 24 July 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And she didn't come home that night and he didn't call anyone to find out where she went even though she "had been in good spirits?" Wow.

This is a fact that I am confused about also. The news reports keep saying that she went out for a drive on the 24th at 11:30 at night. But it also refers to her being reported missing on the 24th. Do we know what time or date she was officially reported missing?

That is odd, right? She seems to me to be covering up something with the way she is portraying Howard and the entire situation. Either that, or Howard has a presiding effect on her, and she takes his word as fact in a cult-like way. Seems something odd is going on there.

Possibly. But we should probably nip speculating on that in the bud here before the mods do ;)

I'm pretty sure he contacted the police first, Ottawa police actually, who told him they weren't looking for the car, then he contacted OPP, who were looking for it, then he contacted the FB page. So he did the right thing.

I wasn't trying to imply he did anything wrong sorry if you got that impression. I just meant it was strange to me that he felt the need to tell her.

I also found it weird that after Melissa was found she stated that the person who had killed Melissa had stabbed her in the heart too. That is a paraphrase but she did say stab before the police released that info.
I just get a weird vibe from her. As I stated earlier the whole calling Melissa her daughter seemed inappropriate to me. I wonder how the parents felt.

Friend with HR for 20 years and with MR for 10 years, Dr. Shelley Rabinovitch holds a PhD from the University of Ottawa in Religious Studies, and is a cultural anthropologist whose work focuses on ritual studies, the role of women in religion, and alternative spiritualities. Her MA at Carleton University was Canada's first ethnographic study of Canadian witches, Wiccans, and Pagans from coast to coast to coast.

Dr. Rabinovitch teaches (among other courses) a class on "Magic, Witchcraft, and Occult Phenomenon" at the University of Ottawa. She has been a past guest of honour at Gaia Gathering, Canada's National Pagan Conference and has written two books on Neo-Paganism and Wicca: The Encyclopedia of Modern Witchcraft and Neo-Paganism and An Ye Harm None: Magical Ethics and Modern Morality.

She’s the co-founding Vice President of the Ottawa Science Fiction Society and founder of the Ottawa area branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism where she is known as Dame TSivia bas Tamara v'Amberview, O.L., O.P., Baroness.

http://futurecon.wordpress.com/archival/archive/futurecon-1/featuredentertainment/

http://www.ealdormere.ca/peers/TSiviabasTamara.htm

This is a fact that I am confused about also. The news reports keep saying that she went out for a drive on the 24th at 11:30 at night. But it also refers to her being reported missing on the 24th. Do we know what time or date she was officially reported missing?

Echodale,

I read somewhere at the beginning, but can't find the link anymore, that HR reported to the police in the evening the next day that she was missing.

Lise-Anne I know you're trying to be helpful, but generally speaking posting information about people who have not been named as POIs by LE here needs to be limited to their specific involvement in the case. Ms. Rabinovitch's life should be considered off-topic at least at this point.

I wasn't trying to imply he did anything wrong sorry if you got that impression. I just meant it was strange to me that he felt the need to tell her.

I also found it weird that after Melissa was found she stated that the person who had killed Melissa had stabbed her in the heart too. That is a paraphrase but she did say stab before the police released that info.
I just get a weird vibe from her. As I stated earlier the whole calling Melissa her daughter seemed inappropriate to me. I wonder how the parents felt.

I didn't think you gave the impression he did anything wrong, it just sounded like you were under the false impression that he didn't call the police first. I think he posted it on the FB page to let all those worried people who were frantically searching know that the car had been found, and that MR wasn't with the car, and the car didn't look like it had been wrecked. I think he was reaching out to sooth people personally.

But the rumours were going around that MR had been stabbed repeatedly before the police released the confirmation that the body was MR, which may be why those words were used. I don't think the police have officially confirmed a CoD, even at this time. Every reference to CoD has been the media stating 'a source' or 'police sources'.

As to the relationship, if you want to go back to my 'bowling' analogy, it would be like Melissa wanted to become an expert bowling shirt maker, and the person she chose to mentor her and teach her was already an expert bowling shirt maker. So they made a formal relationship, one as a teacher and one as a student (in the SCA this is usually denoted by the student wearing a 'belt' of a certain colour, such a Squire wears a red belt when he is in service to a Knight). These relationships often become very close, and take on a family type of relationship, where the teacher is like a parent, and the student like a dependent. Hence the terms 'belt-daughter' or 'foster daughter'.

I know that her friends started asking online if anyone had seen her during the afternoon of the 25th. I think the first real 'MR is missing please help find her' call went out around 5 pm on the 25th, at least on social media. I'm not sure what time the police were called.

Yeah funny :) Strange how one piece of information can change an entire scenario. What I am wondering though is each scenario has an issue.

If HR killed her at home, then transported her to the mall, how did he get her and her car there and then home, since he may be in the military, but I think running or walking 32 miles home is a bit much for a 50 year old man. Plus, a source stated that LE believed she was killed close to where she was found.

If they never made it home that night, and HR killed her at the mall, why would he have been getting rid of a carpet near his home later that night or early the next morning with his wife missing?

Always questions!

Yes, the plot thickens for sure.

Well the post about the 'carpet' sounded like something out of a movie. Whether there is any TRUTH to the story is unknown, although that very same day LE towed his truck away. I saw the video on the news.
The fact his truck was picked up for forensics etc, may be simply because the tip had came in about them both being at a gas station the same night, and maybe that was the first indication that there was another vehicle involved, and hence another avenue to search for evidence.

I know that her friends started asking online if anyone had seen her during the afternoon of the 25th. I think the first real 'MR is missing please help find her' call went out around 5 pm on the 25th, at least on social media. I'm not sure what time the police were called.

Well, in the case of missing persons,(adults) don't they have to be gone for 24 hrs before a report can be filed to the police, or for the police to begin a search?

Here's the link to the missing persons report from the OPP. Looks like it officially went out on July 26.
http://www.ontariofreepress.com/story.shtml?story=5860

Thanks for all the clarification LurkingSpectator, Things make sense to me now.

Friend with HR for 20 years and with MR for 10 years, Dr. Shelley Rabinovitch holds a PhD from the University of Ottawa in Religious Studies, and is a cultural anthropologist whose work focuses on ritual studies, the role of women in religion, and alternative spiritualities. Her MA at Carleton University was Canada's first ethnographic study of Canadian witches, Wiccans, and Pagans from coast to coast to coast.

Dr. Rabinovitch teaches (among other courses) a class on "Magic, Witchcraft, and Occult Phenomenon" at the University of Ottawa. She has been a past guest of honour at Gaia Gathering, Canada's National Pagan Conference and has written two books on Neo-Paganism and Wicca: The Encyclopedia of Modern Witchcraft and Neo-Paganism and An Ye Harm None: Magical Ethics and Modern Morality.

She’s the co-founding Vice President of the Ottawa Science Fiction Society and founder of the Ottawa area branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism where she is known as Dame TSivia bas Tamara v'Amberview, O.L., O.P., Baroness.

http://futurecon.wordpress.com/archival/archive/futurecon-1/featuredentertainment/

http://www.ealdormere.ca/peers/TSiviabasTamara.htm

Thanks for filling in the gaps regarding the person that has been, more or less, the spokesperson for the husband. I was surprised when I saw an interview with her, where she said that she was "like a mother" to Melissa. It made me wonder if Melissa's parents were deceased - although I know now that they are alive and well. Although she was like a "mother" to Melissa, she was also an intellectual regarding wicca. I wonder if Melissa was a bit of a believer in wicca.

I'm just going to jump in here, hope no one minds. I've been wondering about that character in this story, str, the only news clip that really struck me after they found the body was the one when she was interviewed and it just seemed to me like she knew it was the body. It was obvious to her that the body found next to the car belonged to Melissa. She said something along the lines of ''it doesn't look good'' (totally paraphrasing, but along those lines) But, the weird thing is that it wasn't believable to her that Howard was then charged with the murder. Every comment I read from her from that point on (on the fb group that has since been removed) was all about IF it is him. Either her denial runs strong, or she knows something.

Also, she spent an awful lot of energy painting a picture of a happy couple and even more so in defending Howard. Particularly in honoring his wish to hold a candle light vigil at a location of his choice, where the friends gathered to support Melissa but also to support justice for Howard (not against). Until he was charged, and now she has dissapeared from the limelight. But I also wonder if the LE etc have warned her to remain quiet.

As for the car and it's location, apparently many of their friends live near there. I don't know the location of either of their workplaces, or of where they were going to hang out with friends- or which ones. But, I suppose it is possible that they met up in their two seperate cars, filled up on gas, and then parked her car at the dennys to carpool. Maybe the idea was that she would come back to it and drive home from there after wherever they were going. But then, something happened, she was murdered and then her body ended up in the ravine. It's possible it all happened there and then Howard left. Or maybe it happened elsewhere and he then put her body there making it look like it happened there by someone else.

Total speculations, of course.

BBM
Thanks for providing another possible scenario for the timeline leading to the murder.

If only we had a bit more information about when and where they met friends!

BBM
Thanks for providing another possible scenario for the timeline leading to the murder.

If only we had a bit more information about when and where they met friends!

From the Ottawa Sun a few days ago)

Howard Richmond was remanded into custody, pending a video appearance Tuesday.

He was ordered not to contact several people.

A publication ban covers the proceedings.

Makes me wonder if LE is worried he would be trying to arrange to have matching stories from his friends.

See link below, second last line of article.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/03...-first-degree-murder-of-wife-melissa-richmond

He was ordered not to contact several people.

Makes me wonder if LE is worried he would be trying to arrange to have matching stories from his friends.

Maybe, but it's SOP for people accused of a crime aggressive in nature. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I stumbled upon this last night. I realized it was about MR when I came upon a thread where users were talking about her disappearance and her death, and her profile confirms it was MR.

Melissa (username Cassiopeia), was part of this forum of rat lovers and owners and her last post was July 18th, just a few days before her death, and not one tiny hint that anything was wrong. I remembered that on the Greyskull Castle FB page, HR was mentioning they had rats.

In one of her posts, she talks about tattoos, hers and her husband’s, and in another she talks about her working hours and her husband being home all day on leave, looking after the little rats she had just gotten and that she was in love with. Always lively and joyful…

So sad…

http://www.ratforum.com/search.php?searchid=2129258

I stumbled upon this last night. I realized it was about MR when I came upon a thread where users were talking about her disappearance and her death, and her profile confirms it was MR.

Melissa (username Cassiopeia), was part of this forum of rat lovers and owners and her last post was July 18th, just a few days before her death, and not one tiny hint that anything was wrong. I remembered that on the Greyskull Castle FB page, HR was mentioning they had rats.

In one of her posts, she talks about tattoos, hers and her husband’s, and in another she talks about her working hours and her husband being home all day on leave, looking after the little rats she had just gotten and that she was in love with. Always lively and joyful…

So sad…

http://www.ratforum.com/search.php?searchid=2129258

Very good find ! She seems like a very nice caring person.

On a side note, I'd always been curious as to where she worked, while trying to figure out this case. It was never mentioned by the media at any time.. only that she was a dental hygienist.
However, regardless if she had work in the dental field or not, she definitely worked nearby, as in Winchester or Chesterville. She mentions in her post about her hours of work and having a 1 hr lunch break. She said she goes home for her lunch break.

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?79561-Bonding-with-two-people&p=671689#post671689

Just found this info on her blog. It says she is a baker , so I'm thinking she worked in the bakery at one of the local stores. IE Mike Deans, or Andys Foodland. The last time she visited her blog was on July 20.

http://www.ratforum.com/member.php?246409-Cassiopeia

We know that she was a dental hygienist. Using fb for a series of clues, I found someone who posted a clue that she was a coworker of Melissa's at the dental clinic. Looking at this person's fb profile, it says she works for Dr. George. Incidentally, there is a Dr. George Carlin (dentist) who works in winchester. So, probably this is where Melissa worked:539 St Lawrence St
Winchester, ON K0C 2K0, Canada

So, she went from "Melissa HQ" while Melissa was missing, to "Howard HQ" while Howard was grieving. What is Greyskull called now that it is empty?

Speaking of Castle Greyskull, have you all seen this eery/predictive description on their (melissa and howard's) page:

About
The biggest SCA flophouse in Eastern Ontario

2598 Summers Rd, Winchester, Ontario
Description
Lord Dragul Maksimov Vodnikov and Lady Aevianna Nordengel (as you know them best, Vod and Aevia), are always happy to offer up their* castle to fellow Scadians in need of crash space.

We’ve estimated we could easily accommodate 50 people all at once. Just bring your sleeping bag and send us a quick message to let us know you’re coming.

None smoking house. Our three ratties, Sam, Dean, and Cas share our castle, so if you aren't happy with our boys we won't put you in Aevia's office. No large pets please, ferrets welcome!

Give a compliment to how striking and deadly he is, and Vod may just make you some breakfast the next morning. Don’t eat Aevia’s cooking. You will go blind.

* Castle Greyskull is owned by Vod and Aevia in legalities alone. All soulful and squatting ownership of Castle Greyskull claimed by House Addis.​

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaborde2576
Back