CANADA Canada - Michael Dunahee, 4, Victoria, BC, 24 March 1991

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Welcome to Ws Amyonsidewalks!
It would be wonderful if Michael could finally be located and reunited with his family.

Thanks dotr!

Yes, it would be so wonderful! I can't imagine how difficult it must be having a child/brother/family member missing for so long. My heart goes out to the Dunahee family.

I grew up in Newfoundland and remember hearing all about his disappearance, even on the opposite side of the country. I didn't know, until I moved here, that it was Victoria that he had disappeared from. I just find it so hard to believe that there were no witnesses to what happened. Such a sad and troubling mystery.

Michael Dunahee disappeared from Victoria playground 24 years ago
http://globalnews.ca/news/1900017/michael-dunahee-disappeared-from-victoria-school-24-years-ago/
“Officers remain committed to this investigation and will continue to investigate the disappearance of Michael,” Victoria Police said in a release Tuesday morning.
video at link caption:
WATCH ABOVE: Cst. Mike Russell from the Victoria Police speaks to Global News BC1’s Sonia Sunger about the case.

How strange that I decided to come to Websleuths and search his name today, the anniversary of his disappearance. I came because I was watching a show on Nancy Jo Canode (sp?), but I decided to search MD instead. I didn't realize it was the anniversary.

I can't understand, either, how there were no witnesses. It drives me a little bit crazy.

I have just recently started reading the book Vanished: The Michael Dunahee Story by Valerie Green. In the book, she covers a lot of the facts from that day a whole 24 years ago. Would it be worthwhile posting a brief summary of SOME of the information she provides? It could possibly lead to a more in depth discussion.

I have just recently started reading the book Vanished: The Michael Dunahee Story by Valerie Green. In the book, she covers a lot of the facts from that day a whole 24 years ago. Would it be worthwhile posting a brief summary of SOME of the information she provides? It could possibly lead to a more in depth discussion.

Yes, please do.

rbbm.
"Crystal said the book did not uncover information that was new to her. Nonetheless, most readers will find Vanished: The Michael Dunahee Story to be revealing. For example, for a long time, Michael’s bedroom was kept intact almost as a shrine, with his old toys and unopened birthday and Christmas gifts. Even after the family moved, they retained a room for their missing son.

Other facts: Crystal appeared on Oprah and Geraldo to discuss her son’s disappearance; actress Winona Ryder expressed interest in Michael’s disappearance while filming Little Women in Victoria (she didn’t follow up); psychic Sylvia Browne weighed in on the case. (In 1994, the Times Colonist reported Browne’s incorrect prediction that Michael was in Torrance, California, and would return home within 18 months.)

One chapter in the book is unusual. It is Green’s open letter to Michael, in which she imagines the boy — who would now be a young man — reading the book. She encourages him to reawaken memories of his early life and contact his family.

Green said she thought Michael’s parents might find such a plea overly “emotional.” However, Crystal gave her approval — “She said, ‘Who knows, he might be in a bookstore and pick up the book himself
.’ ”
- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/lookin...el-dunahee-story-1.70280#sthash.ro3BRjpA.dpuf

I was in Victoria recently and was by Michael's grandparents house - their front windows are still covered with his missing posters etc. Omg it was SO sad.

I didn't realize his parents had moved. They lived about 6 doors down from his grandparents.

They both live across the street from a school (though not the one he was abducted from) and they also live in the directly adjacent neighborhood of CFB Esquimalt (there are pmq's here - military homes).

I had no idea they lived so close to the military base, and I do find that an interesting side note.

Jmo

Michael Dunahee: Family and community still haunted by disappearance 25 years later

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/michael-dunahee-disappearance-25-1.3402913

The disappearance of four-year-old Michael Dunahee from a Victoria playground nearly 25 years ago not only devastated a family but also changed a community forever.

On March 24 1991, Michael disappeared from the Blanshard Elementary playground in Victoria. He has never been seen again and is believed to have been abducted by a stranger.

Green wrote a book about Michael's disappearance, Vanished: The Michael Dunahee Story, and believes Michael could still be alive. She even wrote him a letter in her book.

"Perhaps you might recall an old favourite toy, a cereal, a crying baby who was your sister Caitlin, going with your dad to Fleming Beach to watch the fishing boats coming in and listening to your real mother telling you a bedtime story," the letter reads.

"Only your abductor or abductors know the truth about your disappearance that day, and they have kept that appalling secret for 25 years, and it is now time to break the silence. An answer is well overdue. We need to know what happened on that morning in March of 1991."

I tend to think that his abductor was a man or a woman with children playing in the park, so tended to be overlooked. A single man or woman WITHOUT children would have been noticed by others. So there is always the possibility a grown up child might come forward with information.

I tend to think that his abductor was a man or a woman with children playing in the park, so tended to be overlooked. A single man or woman WITHOUT children would have been noticed by others. So there is always the possibility a grown up child might come forward with information.

Thanks for your very first post here!
Thinking you might be right about the perp having children, although if they did, imagining it would be just one child, perhaps a lonely one, who begged for a sibling.
imo,speculation.

Michael Dunahee disappeared from a Victoria playground 25 years ago today

http://www.theprovince.com/news/michael+dunahee+disappeared+from+victoria+playground/11804819/story.html

Crystal Dunahee can’t help reliving the moment she last saw her four-year-old son Michael — it replays “over and over again” in her mind, ever since he vanished without a trace 25 years ago from a Victoria elementary school playground.

It was a windy Sunday afternoon on March 24, 1991. She and her husband Bruce packed Michael — dressed in a blue hooded jacket, Ninja Turtles T-shirt and rugby pants — and his six-month-old sister Caitlin into the car and headed to the field at the former Blanshard Elementary School grounds for a game of flag football.

When they arrived, Michael asked if he could go to the park. It was a clear day and within sight of the field, so his mother obliged.

“I had bent down and tied his hood up and told him, ‘OK, you can go to the park, wait there and don’t leave with anybody, just wait there and daddy will come and get you,” Dunahee recalled.

When she looked back at the playground moments later, he was gone.

It is mind-boggling that a quarter century has passed, and still no trace of Michael has been found. I really feel for his family--not knowing where he is must be so painful. I used to live near Blanshard Elementary, and have thought of Michael often over the years. I would love to see closure for the family. Somebody must know something. I find it hard to believe that the person who did this to Michael has managed to lead a 'normal' life since, not raising any red flags among friends, family, neighbours or co-workers. Somebody must have noticed someone acting strange or nervous or guilty around the time Micheal disappeared. Maybe someone who lived close to Blanshard Elementary. Maybe someone who suddenly sold a vehicle, moved away, or changed their appearance. Maybe someone with an unusual interest in the case. Maybe someone who got overly-involved with searching. I would love to learn more about a profile of Michael's abductor, and if there were any serious suspects that have not been cleared. The person that did this to Michael could very well have died by now, or be in jail on unrelated charges.

It is hard to theorize on the case with so few clues, but abduction by a stranger seems to me to be the most likely explanation for his disappearance. I wonder how long Michael was at the playground before being scooped up or lured to a vehicle? Was Michael stalked? Was it a random coincidence that he crossed paths with someone evil? One would think that other families gathering for the football game would have been in the parking lot or vicinity of the playground. The abductor must have been very bold and swift to snatch Michael. I wonder if Michael was his first, or last, victim?

I hate to be negative but I feel it is statistically unlikely that Michael is still alive. I doubt his abductor would have been able to transport him alive off of the Island, so that leads me to believe that his remains are still somewhere in the vicinity of Victoria. He may have been dumped in the ocean, or buried on private land.

I'm from the UK but I was in Vancouver in 1992 visiting family and I remember walking past Michael's missing poster on my aunt's fridge every day. When I returned home I would always ask her about the case on the phone. I was young but I remember her telling me about this case vividly. Can't believe all this time has passed and still nothing. Desperately sad.

I have no ideas or theories unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The school has since shut down and the land has been sold to the Capital Regional Hospital District, which plans to construct a 320-unit seniors residential care facility in the field area. The Tree of Hope, however, continues to be a place where members of the community go to remember Michael.

On Wednesday, Child Find B.C., with the support from the Quadra Village community, will be hosting a public rededication of the site in conjunction with Missing Children’s Day. Students from Ecole Quadra School will unveil a new plaque, along with a community bench and a new small garden encircling the tree.

The day will mark the third time in 25 years Crystal has returned to where the nightmare began.
http://www.vicnews.com/news/380308831.html?mobile=true

Now 26 years, I can't even believe that many years have gone by... I grew up not far from where Michael vanished without a trace.

http://www.vicnews.com/news/416935264.html

Michael's dad:

“Every day I think about how it happened, where he could have gone and disappeared so quickly? It drives me nuts sometimes,” Dunahee said. “Wondering how he’s doing, where he is, if he’s married, got kids?”

michael.png

Updated, rbbm.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-of-victoria-boy-missing-since-1991-1.786021
New link in cold case of Victoria boy missing since 1991

Michael Dunahee hasn't been seen since he disappeared from a local park

CBC News Posted: Jan 06, 2009 Last Updated: Mar 03, 2018
U.S. police have found a "missing person" poster of a Victoria boy who disappeared almost 18 years ago at the Milwaukee home of a possible child killer, CBC News has learned.
According to Milwaukee police, Vernon Seitz, 62, confessed last month to his psychiatrist that he had killed one boy in 1959 and knew of another child killing. Milwaukee police later raided Seitz's home and found him dead of natural causes.

Child *advertiser censored* uncovered

But officers made significant discoveries in his basement: piles of child *advertiser censored* and files on unsolved missing children cases in the United States from the late 1980s and 1990s.

Milwaukee police are refusing to discuss the case, saying the investigation is ongoing, but CBC News obtained results of their search warrants Tuesday.
Among the hundreds of items seized in Seitz's basement were scores of drawings of nude boys in bondage, books on cannibalism, blond human hair and a bone.

A "missing person" poster of Michael was also found, along with a copy of a map of somewhere not in Milwaukee, titled "Millstream Park."

Northwest of Victoria, there is a Millstream Road that leads to several remote parks.

Victoria police said Tuesday they have not been contacted by any U.S. officers but are interested in any new leads or links in the Dunahee case
Local investigators are attempting to trace Seitz's movements in the late 1980s and early '90s to determine whether he travelled to Canada, specifically B.C.

Very unfortunate that Seitz died before they could grill him!

Hopefully the material they find in his home will bring up some new leads.

Very unfortunate that Seitz died before they could grill him!

Hopefully the material they find in his home will bring up some new leads.

Since that article was from 2009 I don't think anything came it or at least I hope it hasn't taken them 9 years to figure out if he was in BC when Michael went missing...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!
Back