ACTIVE SEARCH Canada - Nathan, 37, Vulnerable ('unable to care for self') Toronto (Jane/Sheppard) 12 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
3+ weeks in and we're just now hearing what he was wearing and that "the description of what Nathan was last wearing when he went missing was only just revealed to the family and searchers" (quote from the above listed article). This seems as though there may have been video of him and not a family description IMO. By all accounts on the Facebook page and chats, Nathan has been described as being quite social. It's difficult to imagine NO ONE reported seeing him or possibly interacting with him while he has been missing. Very strange. I wonder if he usually took his cell phone and wallet with him when leaving home, even for a quick trip someplace or if he frequently left those things behind.

ETA apparently the sister went through clothing to find what may not be there and that's how a clothing description was obtained (comment from another family member on the search for Nathan facebook page)

Last edited:
JUN 12

nathan-1-6406150-1684511685869.jpg

t's been a month since Nathan, a former Region of Waterloo man who has Down syndrome, went missing in Toronto.

His family made a public plea in Kitchener’s Victoria Park on Sunday, hoping someone can help them find the 37-year-old.

“We believe Nathan is making his way to the K-W area where his father passed away in December 2022,” Jason, Nathan’s cousin said.

Nathan was last seen on May 12 at 7 p.m. in the area of Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue in Toronto.

More at 'Buddy, just come home': Family of missing man makes plea for information one month after disappearance

Joanna Lavoie rbbm.
1686657378698.png

1686657616348.png
''It’s been exactly one month since Nathan, a 37-year-old man with Down syndrome, went missing from North York.

Late Sunday afternoon, the missing man’s family made a plea for any information that could lead to his safe return.

Speaking to reporters at Kitchener’s Victoria Park, Nathan’s cousin, Jason, who asked to not use his last name, said “nothing is too small to tell us.”

“We just want to know (he) is safe and we just want to bring him home no matter what,” he said.

“All we want is Nathan home. … If you see him, please follow him, call his name and invite him for a coffee, talk about the Blue Jays, talk about the Leafs."

Jason said they believe Nathan, who is a big Toronto sports fan, may have been trying to come to the Kitchener-Waterloo area “where his father passed away in December 2022.”

“Buddy, just come home. You’re definitely not in trouble by any of us. We just want to make sure you’re okay, and let’s get to that Leafs game,” he said, adding while police have received several calls about “lookalikes”, there have been no confirmed sightings of Nathan.

“We just want a little bit of closure. That's all we're looking for."

Jason noted that his cousin is also familiar with St. Jacobs Market as he used to live and work in that area. He said that Nathan’s late mother and grandmother also used to have a booth there. Nathan also knows the neighbouring community of Elmira as he used to go to church there, he said.

Aside from being a Toronto sports fan, Nathan, whom his cousin described as “very friendly” with a “contagious, deep belly laugh,” also likes playing video games and watching soap operas and wrestling.

Friend Kathleen Matthews said Nathan is “very charismatic and caring and funny and silly,” someone “you are instantly drawn to.”

''Matthews told CTV News Toronto during a recent interview that she met Nathan when she worked for the Best Buddies program, which pairs university students with individuals with disabilities in the community to forge friendships. She said she was actually paired with Nathan’s best friend, but she and Nathan got to know each other and became close. They even went to a few Raptors games together''.

''Nathan, who is originally from Kitchener and had only relocated to Toronto recently, was last seen on May 12 at 7 p.m. near Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue West.''

''Nathan, who has Down syndrome, is described as 37-years-old, four-feet-six-inches tall, and roughly 170 pounds. At the time of his disappearance, he had a full beard and moustache and was last seen wearing a hoodie with green stripes, black pants, black shoes, and a Blue Jays baseball cap.

Investigators said so far there is no indication of foul play in connection with this missing persons case''

''Nathan’s cousin Jason Babcock appeared on The Mike Farwell Show on Thursday, and said that Nathan’s disappearance has been difficult for the family.
“It’s gotten harder as it’s gone on to a month, with no positive sightings at all,” Babcock remarked. “We’ve had a few leads the police have followed up on, but have not identified Nathan yet.”

Nathan, who has down syndrome, disappeared on May 12th and was last seen in the area of Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue in Toronto.

According to Babcock, Nathan moved from Kitchener to Toronto two months before he went missing, and the family suspects he may be heading back home.''

"Those looking to help can do so by visiting the ‘Search for Nathan’ Facebook page created by Nathan’s family.''

Sadly I am convinced Nathan got lost along the wooded and park area that runs through the area he was last seen. It is huge ground to cover. The reporting of him being seen outside of Toronto and the suggestion that he was traveling back to his old home took the attention off of Toronto. With only $20.00 he would need help and would have been noticeable if asking for food or money at Jane and Sheppard. Nathan's approach and demeanour would likely single him out from others who regularily fend for themselves on the street.
Has there been any confirmed sightings to suggest otherwise? I agree that he’s probably closer to home.

Hi folks,
Can anyone confirm what Nathan was doing when he was last seen?
Does Nathan have a phone?

He left his phone and wallet at home and had $20 with him.

He was last seen on May 12 at 7 p.m. near Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue West.

They think he may have been trying to make his way back to his former home in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. His father died in December and Nathan moved recently to the J & S area.

Has there been any confirmed sightings to suggest otherwise? I agree that he’s probably closer to home.

No confirmed sightings yet.

Last edited:
He left his phone and wallet at home and had $20 with him.

He was last seen on May 12 at 7 p.m. near Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue West.

They think he may have been trying to make his way back to his former home in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. His father died in December and Nathan moved recently to the J & S area.

No confirmed sightings yet.
MOO: I have worked with adults with Down syndrome for five years and wonder why Nathan would leave his phone and wallet if he was making his way bay to Kitchener? Most of my adult students are so very organised with their belongings. Even those with very limited communication skills. I don’t know Nathan or what he was like, but I can’t name one of my students with Down syndrome (approx 30 individuals) that is not organised and very aware of their belongings.

MOO: I have worked with adults with Down syndrome for five years and wonder why Nathan would leave his phone and wallet if he was making his way bay to Kitchener? Most of my adult students are so very organised with their belongings. Even those with very limited communication skills. I don’t know Nathan or what he was like, but I can’t name one of my students with Down syndrome (approx 30 individuals) that is not organised and very aware of their belongings.

I’m learning a lot about people like Nathan from this thread! It’s good to know. Maybe knowing his behavioural traits will help find him.

They’re not really sure of what his motives were, from what I’ve read.

The stressors, or new changes, were losing his father and moving to a new area. There was no plan for him to go back to visit Kitchener-Waterloo where he was from. They’re guessing he may have decided to go back there, and possibly got lost along the way.

But that’s just a theory, he may be closer to where he was last seen. Leaving home without his items may have made sense for whatever plan he had in mind.

Was Nathan on social media? Could he have met up with someone? Who was the last person to see him. Is the sighting verified?
His last sighting was verified by police as being in Toronto at Jane and Sheppard.

I wondered if some homeless people had taken Nathan in and didn’t even know he was missing. I know I’m reaching but I’m trying to be hopeful.
I think it is likely that people living on the street will notice quite quickly Nathan's limitations. Nathan will likely indicate that he lives with family and his plans. People living on the street know how to get him to safety even if they avoid police.

Was Nathan on social media? Could he have met up with someone? Who was the last person to see him. Is the sighting verified?
Nathan had a Facebook account according to family and friends but he hasn't accessed it in months. Family says LE has checked his account.
The whole situation is confusing- his missing alert didn't come out until the 14th, last seen on 12th apparently and no video of him on street or business cams.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back