Found Deceased Canada - Owen Rooney, 24, Grand Forks, BC, 14 Aug 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for the 'scuba diver' update dotr.

Is there a thread for missing Prince George man, Tyler Eugene Fetterly? IMO is better to keep this thread for only Owen, and any potential IUDs. Wouldn't like Owen's thread to become like some of our other Canadian threads, were so many links to different cases, composite sketches, assaults, rapes, burglaries, crimes in the news, missing persons, murders, etc. are being posted all together, making it very hard to keep cases organized and easy to search. I for one am having a hard time keeping up, and am starting to give up posting.

Also, IMO each and every missing person deserves their own thread ....all just my humble opinion :innocent:

Yes, let's keep this thread focused on Owen.

Any UID discussion focused on a comparison to Owen is fine here. But if you want to compare a UID to someone else, that discussion should take place in the UID forum.

The scuba diver UID discussion thread is here: CANADA CANADA - N. Vancouver (Burrard Inlet) - Scuba Diver Body Found - Oct 2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community and all discussion about that should take place there.

I have moved the post about Tyler Fetterly to his own thread here: CANADA Canada - Tyler Eugene Fetterly, 26, Prince George BC, Oct 2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Report criticizes hospital for care of missing Australian
CBC News - Last Updated: Oct 14, 2011 12:01 PM PT
Interior Health has now finished an internal report into his care, which found Rooney's treatment was generally good, but there were problems.

The report states Rooney was confused and depressed, and staff should have called social services.

It also says medical observations of Rooney were poorly documented, and communication with his family could have been better.

Owen's mother posted this link on the "Help Find Owen Rooney" Facebook page, and asked people to share the link

Report: Owen Rooney case could've been better documented
Updated: October 26, 2011 10:54 AM

<<snips>> read more at link above
According to an excerpt from the report provided by Rooney&#8217;s mother Sharron, despite the fact Owen had told hospital officials he had been assaulted, no Glasgow Coma Scale (measures conscious state of person) was recorded and as well, no past medical or mental history was taken and a section on social history on an intake form wasn&#8217;t filled out &#8211; an Emergency Assessment record was not completed fully either.
Hampf said that the improvement cycle is also done in the context of IH, ensuring that lessons learned are also applied across the organization as well but she also said that the review board demonstrated that the staff acted appropriately after Owen went missing.

&#8220;Once Owen did leave the building, staff here did everything above and beyond to ensure that the police were notified,&#8221; said Hampf.

&#8220;In reality, Owen was not certified under the Mental Health Act and was free to leave the building at any time. I think that&#8217;s key, that we had no ability to hold Owen against his will and because he&#8217;d already been here and had been in and out of the building, going to the edge of the property to smoke, and actually sitting outside in the patio area, enjoying the August day, he certainly had demonstrated that he would go and come back.&#8221;

As for Sharron Rooney, she was undecided as to her feelings about the review.

&#8220;I am not sure how I feel about the review as with most steps in our search for Owen I have to digest what happens and which way to go next,&#8221; she said.

Review casts doubts in Owen Rooney case
STORY: KATRINA CONDIE
02 Nov, 2011 01:43 PM
Milton Ulladulla Times (Australia)
A HEALTH review has cast doubts over claims that Owen Rooney was hallucinating when he walked out of a Canadian Hospital 15 months ago.

Milton&#8217;s Rooney family has finally received a report from Canada&#8217;s Patient Quality Care Review Board after Owen went missing from Boundary Hospital in Grand Forks after allegedly consuming magic mushrooms.
Despite ongoing concerns from the family, the board concluded that &#8220;Owen&#8217;s disappearance was handled appropriately&#8221; by hospital staff.

Mrs Rooney said, due to poor documentation, there is no evidence as to whether Owen was capable or not capable of making any decisions.

&#8220;It is now obvious that he was not,&#8221; she said.

The review found that Owen declined offers to contact his family.

&#8220;There was no evidence to suggest that Owen was not mentally capable of making a phone call,&#8221; it said.

The Rooneys are continuing the search for Owen and were hoping someone working at the hospital at the time of his disappearance could provide answers.

Owen&#8217;s sisters Kelly and Bree have returned home to Milton after looking for their brother in Canada for more than a year.

The family remains in contact with detective and police in British Columbia.

two-pages-long article: http://www.ulladullatimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/review-casts-doubts-in-owen-rooney-case/2344704.aspx?storypage=2
Have I missed it, or the question whether Owen R. had some kind of insurance (medical, accidental, etc.) when he first came to Canada on a work visa, never been answered?

All I recall is that after his work visa expired, he decided to extend his stay in Canada. Would that mean he got an extension to his work visa or did he stay as a tourist? just curious :)

I have just spent a good chunk of my evening reading all these posts about Owen Rooney who I never heard of before. Heartbreaking and frustrating.

I didn't catch if it was listed anywhere what medical professionals think technically would cause the bleeding out of the ears. Is that ruptured eardrums or some other explanation?

And secondly, based on the nature of his injuries, what would a typical person experience as symptoms? Would it cause severe pain, disorientation, concussion or what?

I majorly damaged my eardrum scuba diving once and it took more than two weeks for me to be able to hear and shake a slight vertigo. In fact, the first day, I was so panicked because I had, ironically, a near deafening hiss sound that just wouldn't go away.

Owen's bleeding ears would have resulted in worse deafness, I would guess. I am imagining he could have been similarly panicked about his hearing and also had vertigo.

Just some thoughts.

Ironically, a Canadian who looks a bit like Owen has gone missing in Australia.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/11/30/19041816.html

"Police in Australia are asking for the public's help to locate a missing Canadian backpacker.

Eddie Provencher, 22, of Quebec City, was last seen in the St. Peters district of Sydney on Nov. 20.

Regional police say he had arrived in Australia on Nov. 11 on a tourist visa with his sister and her boyfriend"

The Canadian hiker missing in Australia has made contact with family and I can only hope that if Owen is out there somewhere that he makes contact too!
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/12/03/19063971.html

"MONTREAL &#8211; The Quebec man thought missing in Australia since Nov. 20 posted on Facebook Saturday morning that he was alive and well. Eddie Provencher, 22, of Quebec City, wrote that he was sorry he scared his family."

BUMPING for Owen on this Christmas day 2011 - thinking of him and his family. May his family soon find their loving son.

Bumping for Owen and his family and hoping 2012 will bring all the right answers.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/03/11/19488096.html

I do not know if this is connected, I hope Owen is found alive somewhere...

" Police in Whistler, B.C., have confirmed that a discovery made by a couple Saturday "was in fact the remains of a human."

They say that the couple, who were out for a hike in a wooded area in the Alpine Meadows area, contacted the RCMP detachment in Whistler to report that they had discovered what they believed to be human remains.

In a statement, police said "investigators are unable to determine anything about the deceased that would aid in identification" and that "there is nothing thus far to indicate foul play."

Posted this in the Matthew H. thread also. This was one of my first thoughts (hopes?) about OR's disappearance.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1223015--alberta-woman-on-cult-warpath
"Carla Brown is planning on staging an intervention, hoping to rescue people from what she believes is a cult.

She has been told there is a self-described prophet living near Okotoks, Alta., a quiet town in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, who claims to speak with Adam and Eve.

Brown, the director of the Edmonton Society Against Mind Abuse (ESAMA), said the prophet controls the lives of some 20 people".

“One ex-member leaked audio tapes of her to me,” said Brown. “It was this sing-song prayer, everything in rhyme. It gave me goosebumps"

"Brown is part of a tight-knit group of cult experts in Edmonton who field calls from distressed Albertans — and, increasingly, Canadians from other provinces — who have lost a family member or friend to a group like that of the Okotoks prophet".

Bumping for Owen who went missing 2 years ago on August 14th. So sad for his family.

Bumping for Owen and posting a followup of sorts, about "animal control" at Christina Lake...http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/09/21/18717476.html
"Conservation officers around Christina Lake, B.C., have been forced to put down 17 bears this year, some of which are suspected to be the former guardians of a marijuana grow-up."

above bbm

Police investigate suspicious fire at B.C. property where bears were fed dog food
August 28, 2012

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Po...rs+were+food/7156883/story.html#ixzz24t6MrvDp

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back