CANADA Canada - Rene Gunning, 19 & Krystle Knott, 16, Edmonton, 18 Feb 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So why did it take from 2005 to 2008 for investigators to elicit information that the girls were last seen at West Edmonton Mall?

2008 news article:
http://nappaw.tribe.net/thread/e9018bfc-208d-4d73-81e0-c250a541b129

... "What has been frustrating is the amount of time that it has taken to get to the point where investigators are confident in the information that leads them to believe these two young women went missing either directly from West Edmonton Mall or at the very least that's the last known location they have been seen," said Cpl. Wayne Oakes ...

Oakes emphasized that cops didn't wait three years to release the information.

"It took that amount of time to gather the information," he told reporters. "You can't release what you don't have." ...

FWIW, Naomi, who was apparently the last person to speak with Rene, was initially reported missing at the same time, but (and i can't recall the timeframe), Naomi returned home not long after her reported disappearance.

Why were known associates so close-mouthed for almost 3 years ?

Those northern Hwys are so desolate. Did i miss the cause of death? 2 girls who i'm sure know how to stick up for them selves, met someone very cold and ugly.

In the north i found prejudice much stronger, and that means the cops, Doctors, try and find a job.
I was a teenage UK white immigrant, got kicked out soon as we got here ( 'yaa stepdaddies')
I have dark hair, i look native, I was SPAT on, i was dirt, desposable, and if you disappear, society will not really look for you.
But a blond girl can disappear and even if she drunk people care.
I'm sad/glad they found the girls. Somebody killed 2 people, i think the law should do something or at least pretend they care. jmo moo

Those northern Hwys are so desolate. Did i miss the cause of death? 2 girls who i'm sure know how to stick up for them selves, met someone very cold and ugly.

In the north i found prejudice much stronger, and that means the cops, Doctors, try and find a job.
I was a teenage UK white immigrant, got kicked out soon as we got here ( 'yaa stepdaddies')
I have dark hair, i look native, I was SPAT on, i was dirt, desposable, and if you disappear, society will not really look for you.
But a blond girl can disappear and even if she drunk people care.
I'm sad/glad they found the girls. Somebody killed 2 people, i think the law should do something or at least pretend they care. jmo moo

COD hasn't been publicized, so may not even be determined at this point, nao.

It does make one wonder, doesn't it? Given that Rene and Naomi (native and caucasian) met up with Krystle and Sarah (native and caucasian) and then somehow the 2 native girls ended up together, disappearing, and now deceased.

Hi, first post here :)

I really do believe there is/was a connection between Rene, Naomi and Laboucan. All 3 are from Fort St John.. FSJ is very small and remote so there is a very good chance they would know each other. Might not be a personal connection but having grown up in Fort Nelson, which is 4 hours north of FSJ on the Alaska Highway... I'd put money down that they knew who each other were. To put it in perspective, I know who Rene was, and I never lived in FSJ. But being so close, there's a lot of travel back and forth between the region (Fort Nelson, Fort St John, Dawson Creek, Tumbler Ridge, Grande Prairie) and you get to know people from other areas, whether it be through work, bars, parties, etc.

I can also say, even if they never lived in Grande Prairie, they could and probably do know the area very well. Living in that area of BC, when you go shopping, you go to Grande Prairie, Prince George or Edmonton. Usually Grande Prairie because it's a lot closer than either PG or Edmonton so you can go there and back in a day. Especially living in FSJ, it's only 3 hours away. Given that these areas are so frequently travelled by locals, and a lot of work involves commuting between communities, it's likely that at any given visit you might hook up with some locals and go party down one of those forestry roads. It's what the locals up there do when there are minors, and there's ALWAYS minors.

Laboucan could very well be responsible, but the area is so remote it really could be anyone. Common sense tells me though that they are too connected for it to be anyone else. Could also explain the reluctance to talk if Naomi was protecting Joseph and had knowledge/suspicion/involvement of the crime.

Welcome to WS, Angelic!

And, your input of local knowledge is very helpful to the rest of us. You know what the social habits and everyday behaviors are like.

OMG all of these crimes occurred in 2005 (I'm going to guess that Rene and Krystle also died shortly after they went missing in Feb. 2005). Laboucan should be questioned in regards to these two girls.

Laboucan is guilty of the murder of Ellie May Mayor. Even though he plead not guilty, his lawyer is not disputing the charges (???)
An Edmonton man who murdered 13-year-old Nina Courtepatte in 2005 was found guilty Monday of killing prostitute Ellie May Meyer just two days before the girl was slain.

Joseph Laboucan pleaded not guilty at the opening of his trial Monday, but his lawyer said the defence did not dispute the Crown's case against him.

Now what if he is responsible for the deaths of Rene and Krystle?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/09/26/edmonton-laboucan-meyer-murder-trial.html

Sorry, I know it may not be related to Rene and Krystle but the poster on this thread has me really wondering if Laboucan is the perp here. He is sick. He cut off Ellie May's finger and kept it in a freezer and showed it to a young girl (he was hanging with lots of young teen girls it seems).
An autopsy showed Meyer suffered a fatal blow to her head. It also showed the top of her left pinkie finger was missing and Laboucan's DNA was found on her body.

Two days later, Laboucan showed Meyer's finger, which he kept in a freezer between two pieces of bread, to a teenage girl in a motel room.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/09/26/edmonton-laboucan-meyer-murder-trial.html

I wonder if there were any clothes found with Rene and Krystle's remains. There could be DNA. If there weren't any clothes, my guess is that someone needs to talk to reveal ANYTHING about who did this to these two girls.

So why did it take from 2005 to 2008 for investigators to elicit information that the girls were last seen at West Edmonton Mall?

2008 news article:
http://nappaw.tribe.net/thread/e9018bfc-208d-4d73-81e0-c250a541b129

FWIW, Naomi, who was apparently the last person to speak with Rene, was initially reported missing at the same time, but (and i can't recall the timeframe), Naomi returned home not long after her reported disappearance.

Why were known associates so close-mouthed for almost 3 years ?

I am Naomi.Since the girls' disappearance I have done 4 police interviews,starting from a month after they disappeared.

I am Naomi Ratcliffe.I have been Trying to do my best to search for more answers.As for a few questions I have read directed at me,Sara and I were at her friends apartment at the time that Rene and Krystle phoned and said they were going to hitchhike back to FSJ.Dont see how this is relevant though?
Yes,Rene and I knew Joseph Laboucan (Aka "bodycast joe").I personally don't believe it was him who picked them up because I BELEIVE it was proven (poss through receipts and video?)that he was in FSJ at the time.I hadn't seen Joseph for about 5 months before they disappeared.Not sure about Rene though.And to clarify-I wasnt close friends with him either.We weren't all buddy buddy.I went to one of his parties once and talked to him a few times otherwise,he genuinely seemed like a nice person.That is it.
Also, someone posted a link saying that Joe said he met up with two women or something?The link wouldn't work though is there any other way to find this story?
I can assure the world I had nothing to do with the disappearances of my friends.I would have given anything to take Rene's place because she was a mother and it breaks my heart that this happened.

I wonder if there were any clothes found with Rene and Krystle's remains. There could be DNA. If there weren't any clothes, my guess is that someone needs to talk to reveal ANYTHING about who did this to these two girls.

No clothes found.Only 2 skulls and another fragment possibly a pelvic bone or shoulder?

Oh,and also,as for the Penticton idea it was never in our plan to go there,a few days before we left (and we hadn't planned the trip,it was a spur of the moment idea) I got into a fight with my boyfriend and told him I knew someone in Penticton and I would just go stay there if we broke up (...I was a 15 year old girl...) and when we were reported missing, he told the police that is where I went.

I happened upon this thread so I'm not familiar with all the players. I'm going to take some time to read up on it all but first I wanted to say welcome to Naomi. You may need be to verified but some of the others could better explain that process to you if that is the case. Welcome again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you get verified?I thought you just click on the link in the email

How do you get verified?I thought you just click on the link in the email

Hi Naomi1989,

First of all Welcome to WebSleuths. I have sent a message to one of our super moderators asking them to pop in here and provide the necessary information to become verified insider. It shouldn't take too long - I would explain it but don't know the process myself.

Once again, welcome to WebSleuths!

eleph

Hi Naomi. Do you know exactly where Rene and Krystle's remains were located? I've only read 60 km south of Grand Prairie, AB, near a campground I asume since the remains were found by campers. I extimate they travelled about 5 hours from the West Edmonton Mall. I'm very sorry about what happened. I'm very disturbed about the lack of details in the case. Why only the skulls found? Thanks again.

Well they were there for just over 6 years,I'd imagine animals and rodents carried off the rest of them <\3 they were found on Forestry Trunk Road (a logging/trucker road) near Debolt,Alberta on May long weekend of last year.I don't think it was a popular camping area,just a little spot someone had found.The guy who found the remains (and this is a CRAZY coincidence!) said he had camped there before but had never really ventured off into the woods.Shat happened when he found the skulls was him and a friend were camping and kept smelling a foul odor in the air coming from in the woods so they went to investigate.It turned out to be a dead moose carcass rotting but close by it was their two skulls.If that moose hadn't been there I doubt they would have ever been found...thank god.

One detail I noticed that confused me a bit though and I still question...the road they were found on, Forestry Trunk,is on the RIGHT hand side of a divided highway heading AWAY from Grande Prairie,back towards Edmonton.So the only way the murderer could have gotten onto that road would be if they either crossed on the highway from the left side and back tracked a bit to get onto that road OR they picked the girls up in Grande Prarie and started heading towards Edmonton again...if he had indeed crossed the highway and backtracked this makes me think they were sleeping in the truck and had no idea until it was too late.But anyway,because it is a trucking road I do believe a TRUCKER who knew the road well is the murderer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back