CANADA Canada - Rene Gunning, 19 & Krystle Knott, 16, Edmonton, 18 Feb 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh! I didn't realize it went straight across, I thought forestry trunk started on the right side.Well then, I don't even know what to think now. Ugh :(

Might be confusing because on the north side it's called Range Road 21(iirc), but on the south side it's called FTR.

I've always been leaning towards Laboucan, then have to consider Lebekoppoff (sp? whatever), but something keeps coming back at to me as just plain weird. Elepher posted this link a while back, and it takes possibilities in a different direction.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/06/13/aunt-haunted-by-disappearance-of-niece

On the night the girls disappeared, Krystle's dad said she had called wanting a ride home. At one time Krystle had lived with her Aunt Doris in High Prairie. Why? She apparently no longer lived with Aunt Doris but had run away from home. Whose home? So who was Krystle living with when she ran away? Who did she run from and why? (Yeah i know ... kids run away for kids' reasons, not necessarily "real reasons"). Oddly, Krystle's family were maintaining (6 years later in 2011???) that Krystle wasn't missing, she was living in FSJ. Why? That's really unnatural and, IMO ... somewhat bizarre. Usually after that length of time, not only have family resigned themselves to their loved one being missing, they have started to consider their loved one is in fact dead.

What time on Feb 18 was that phone call to her dad made? She had run away from something for some reason, but instead of calling other relatives (including Aunt Doris), she called her dad. Why wouldn't she try other relatives (or did she?), and especially Aunt Doris who she was so close to? Who in her family was avoiding something by insisting (for 6 years?) that she was missing and was alive in FSJ?

Sorry, lots of ??????

If it hadn't been for Aunt D speaking up on this, I would never have gone there.

JMO

ETA: Deleted about dad living in Tumbler Ridge ... that was incorrect, as it was Rene's dad who lived in TR.

Naomi, I was going back through some old articles and came across the part about the older fellow who picked you and Rene up outside Dawson Creek and offered to pay you for sex. Have you by any chance listened to the audio recording that was released in the Amber Tuccaro case? If not, let us know and i'll get you the link.

I think this is news we hadn't heard before in this case and it is interesting.

Don't know if any of you recall that in May 2011, based on a tip, LE was searching the Henrietta Muir Park in Edmonton. Nothing was found, and LE never said which case it might relate to.

Turns out that search was in relation to Rene and Krystle:

http://brentwittmeier.com/tag/rene-gunning/

In May, RCMP’s Project Kare began a search of Henrietta Muir Edwards Park in central Edmonton. They had gotten a tip related to the disappearance of several Edmonton area women of “high risk lifestyles” who had gone missing years earlier.

Just over a week later, Grande Prairie RCMP said “human remains” had been discovered. They wouldn’t say what they found, or what they thought.

The “remains” were, in fact, two skulls discovered by campers near Grande Prairie. Somebody in our newsroom knew the campers, who had made the horrible discovery while investigating an unrelated, suspicious smell (a rotting moose carcass, it turned out). It was awful, but soon became worse.

The skulls didn’t belong to high profile missing couple Lyle and Marie McCann, the RCMP told me, but they wouldn’t say more. Through a little sleuthing, I found out: coincidentally, they were the same remains the RCMP had been looking for in Edmonton just weeks before.
<bbm>

Note: Brent is a reporter with the Edmonton Journal

Following is a basic timeline. Please feel free to let me know if there are any additions or corrections:

Feb 1 2005 Approx date Krystle Knott of Dawson Creek arrived in Edmonton

Feb. 17, 2005, Rene Gunning and Naomi Ratcliffe hitchhiked from Fort St. John. They were picked up first by an older man in a truck. He offered to pay for sex. They got out at the next stop. They were then picked up by some people outside Dawson Creek and arrived in Grande Prairie (about 3 hrs drive from FSJ). Naomi says she and Rene stayed in Grande Prairie with the people who had picked them up around Dawson Creek.

Feb 18 2005 Approx 2:00 am, Naomi says she and Rene tried to hitchhike into Edmonton but didn’t get picked up.

Feb 18 2005 Rene and Naomi hitchhiked into Edmonton. A trucker picked them up and they arrived at West Edmonton Mall. They met up with Krystle and Sara McLeod. Rene and Krystle did not know each other prior to meeting this date. Gunning bought a 26er of vodka which the girls drank. Rene and Krystle ended up together while Naomi and Sara went to a party at Sara’s boyfriend’s apartment in Edmonton.

Feb 18 2005 Rene and Krystle are said to have been following some boy around the WEM. The two girls were last seen together around 9:00 pm.

Feb 18 2005 At some point Rene and Krystle called Naomi and Sara from a mall pay phone and asked for a ride. Sara claimed that the girls said "What are we going to do? The mall is closing and they're kicking us out". Sara says she and her friend (Naomi?) were too drunk to pick them up but they offered to pay for a cab. The girls are said to have refused the offer and called back, and said they were going to hitchhike back to FSJ (or the Dawson Creek area).

Feb 18 2005 That night (time unknown), Rene called her father Joe Gunning in FSJ and said she was coming home. According to Krystle’s aunt Doris, Krystle had called her father in Dawson Creek and said she was at WEM and needed a lift.

Feb 2005 Rene was reported missing in BC. The RCMP publicized her disappearance at that time and reported that she was “thought to be traveling with Naomi Ratcliffe, also missing from Fort St. John”

July 2007 When it was discovered that there was a connection between the BC case of Rene to the Alberta case of Krystle, the two cases became linked together as Project KARE cases in Alberta. It is unkown when Krystle’s disappearance first came to the attention of KARE.

Feb 2008 Rene and Krystle’s case was publicized by Project KARE

May 9 to 11, 2011 Police search Henrietta Muir Edwards Park in Edmonton based on a tip received (later determined by reporter that the search was in relation to Rene and Krystle)

May 21 2011 The remains of Rene Lynn Gunning were discovered by campers on the Forestry Trunk Road, 60 kilometres south of Grande Prairie, on May 23rd by a person camping in the area. Krystle’s remains were found shortly after (within a day or so)

May 21 2011 Krystle’s aunt Doris Goulet (who Krystle had lived with in High Prairie) says Krystle’s family said she was living in FSJ and would not admit she was missing

Bump for the girls

Whew ... the silence is deafening in this case :(

Rest in Peace, Rene and Krystle

:rose::rose::rose:

another bump for the girls. I live an hour(ish) away from FSJ and we had a lot of common friends. Such an awful thing to happen to two such young women. (to anyone for that matter)

Rest in Peace ladies.

Following is a basic timeline. Please feel free to let me know if there are any additions or corrections:

Feb 1 2005 Approx date Krystle Knott of Dawson Creek arrived in Edmonton

Feb. 17, 2005, Rene Gunning and Naomi Ratcliffe hitchhiked from Fort St. John. They were picked up first by an older man in a truck. He offered to pay for sex. They got out at the next stop (Dawson Creek). They were then picked up by some people outside Dawson Creek and arrived in Grande Prairie (about 3 hrs drive from FSJ). Naomi says she and Rene stayed in Grande Prairie with the people who had picked them up around Dawson Creek.

I'd say it was approx 9pm when we were picked up in dawson creek and brought to GP.ETA in GP was 11pm

Feb 18 2005 Approx 2:00 am, Naomi says she and Rene tried to hitchhike into Edmonton but didn&#8217;t get picked up.

We WERE picked up and went to a hotel on the outskirts of GP with someone in a taxi, we stayed with him for a while approx until 4am? and then went back to the other hotel and stayed with the guys who had orignially picked us up, until approx 8-9am.

Feb 18 2005 We were picked up at approx 10AM just past the edmonton exit sign by guys going ice fishing.When they were at their turnoff they dropped us off in Beazanson or Fox Creek, I remember the store we went into just not the "town" Rene and Naomi hitchhiked into Edmonton. A trucker picked them up and they arrived at West Edmonton Mall Approx 6:30 or 7pm, I remember it was just getting dark. That guy was a goddamned creep. Rene slept in the sleeper while we drove and he kept on looking back at her with a weird look on his face. He even made a "Joke" about killing us.They met up with Krystle and Sara McLeod. Rene and Krystle did not know each other prior to meeting this date Rene knew Sara and I kindof knew Sara but I recognized Krystle from middle school in Dawson Creek. Gunning bought a 26er of vodka which the girls (Rene And Krystle) drank. Rene and Krystle ended up together while Naomi and Sara went to a party at Sara&#8217;s boyfriend&#8217;s apartment in Edmonton.

Feb 18 2005 Rene and Krystle are said to have been following some boy around the WEM. The two girls were last seen together around 9:00 pm.

Feb 18 2005 At some point (just after or before 9pm) Rene and Krystle called Naomi and Sara from a mall pay phone and asked for a ride. Sara claimed that the girls said "What are we going to do? The mall is closing and they're kicking us out". Sara says she and her friend (Naomi?) Nope, I didn't have a license, probably referring to her boyfriend were too drunk to pick them up but they offered to pay for a cab. The girls are said to have refused the offer and called back, and said they were going to hitchhike back to FSJ (or the Dawson Creek area).

Feb 18 2005 That night (time unknown), Rene called her father Joe Gunning in FSJ and said she was coming home. According to Krystle&#8217;s aunt Doris, Krystle had called her father in Dawson Creek and said she was at WEM and needed a lift.

Feb 19 2005 Rene was reported missing in BC. The RCMP publicized her disappearance at that time and reported that she was &#8220;thought to be traveling with Naomi Ratcliffe, also missing from Fort St. John&#8221; We were also thought to have been travelling to Penticton area for whatever reason? I've never figured out why they thought that..

July 2007 When it was discovered that there was a connection between the BC case of Rene to the Alberta case of Krystle, the two cases became linked together as Project KARE cases in Alberta. It is unkown when Krystle&#8217;s disappearance first came to the attention of KARE. I don't undertand why they didnt figure this out sooner..
Feb 2008 Rene and Krystle&#8217;s case was publicized by Project KARE

May 9 to 11, 2011 Police search Henrietta Muir Edwards Park in Edmonton based on a tip received (later determined by reporter that the search was in relation to Rene and Krystle) My understanding was that someone had struck a "plea bargain" and said there were various bodies buried there, including Rene and Krystle.Nothing was found.

May 21 2011 The remains of Rene Lynn Gunning were discovered by campers on the Forestry Trunk Road, 60 kilometres south of Grande Prairie, on May 23rd by a person camping in the area. Krystle&#8217;s remains were found shortly after (within a day or so) I thought they were side by side? :( makes me feel even worse. RIP girls.

May 21 2011 Krystle&#8217;s aunt Doris Goulet (who Krystle had lived with in High Prairie) says Krystle&#8217;s family said she was living in FSJ and would not admit she was missing
-

My heart breaks for both of them but I always have wondered why none of Krystle's family made a public effort. Rene's father was on the news several times but I don't recall ever seeing anyone speak up for Kryslte :(

Naomi, I was going back through some old articles and came across the part about the older fellow who picked you and Rene up outside Dawson Creek and offered to pay you for sex. Have you by any chance listened to the audio recording that was released in the Amber Tuccaro case? If not, let us know and i'll get you the link.

Just listened to it, dont recognize the voice. The guy who picked us up was in his early- mid 60's I beleive he told us he was 63ish?

I should also add, that this is the very first video I've ever made (which is why it took me months to finish) so no judging the quality cuz I have NO idea what i'm doing lol

Just watched the video Naomi. You are a very good friend and I'll be sharing this. xo and well done.

I've actually just changed the settings to private. I jumped the gun there a little bit. I'm having an issue that I asked her (Rene's) dad if I could post it back in February but he never answered me. I don't want to upset him but I also made it to try and help someone...I don't know what to do :/

Well done Naomi. What a positive step to possibly save the lives of other young women. (and young men)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back