Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Judge will take 2 days for the charge to the jury?

WOW! I hope the jury can stay awake through out.:notgood:

Xmas is coming, how many days will the jury have to decide in order to greet Santa Clause? Or will they hunker down and be out in time for the Easter Bunny?

Question, and perhaps a few members may have the answer...

If Dennis is found guilty, will the Olands have to repay (whomever they made the claim against for repair costs).:jail:

Also I think the elongated and streaked spatter is not so much from the weapon . I think the first blows put him face down , then some blood pooled on the floor , and during the later blows the weapon made the head raise up and splat down an inch or so and squished the pool of blood outward , they are big heavy drops and only at floor level

Picture #12 http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/richard-oland-murder-scene-photographs-1.3262365

Don't forget, Richard did try to protect himself, as he had cuts on his hands.

My thoughts too ... I had envisioned a lot more blood spatter all over the office. I notice the floor protector under the desk has only a couple of drops of blood that appear to have dropped straight down , likely from the first blows while R.O. was standing or sitting at the desk

The rest of the blows happened when face down on the floor , spatter radiated away from the desk area , and someone standing where I drew foot prints could have been shielded from spatter by being on that side of the body .

All of a sudden it looks very possible the perp could have had minimum evidence on themselves.

In the pic note that Dick's pants pocket has been turned out. Mistress said on stand that Dick either kept his ipad on his desk, in his jacket pocket, or in his pant pocket.

Whomever murdered him, knew where to look for that ipad, For some reason that ipad was very important to the killer... imo
Why?

What about Jiri? What about those two insurance salesmen that MA said were offered pizza? Guests were never offered pizza. Were they there to case the joint? Hired killers? What about bob McFadden who came out on top, still goes to work in same building, 800 k in his pocket. And Galen? Folks in SJ believe that DO did it and also believe he will get off. But if he did it and he is not a sociopath he is suffering inside. If he did it and he is a psychopath, and he gets off, this will be for the family to have and to hold.

They'll be back for instructions from the judge in the morning. (9:30)

I don't think the proved their case, unfortunately, but maybe the jury will consider the body of circumstantial evidence enough to convict.

I'll begin the list of circumstantial evidence:
- a crime of passion...and DO admitted he didn't get a long with his father
- he was the last person seen with RO
- DO was in dire financial straights, including borrowing from his employer on the promise that he would bring his father's account over
- DO missed his last mortgage payment to his father
- DO lied to LE about what he was wearing
- what he was actually wearing was taken to the dry cleaners immediately after, and had suspicious residual spots on the sleeve
- DO behaved strangely after leaving his father's office. He went to the docks, even though he was running late to get home for a dinner. Picked up items and sat on the end of the dock.
- He went the wrong way on Princess St, in an area that he was extremely familiar with (distracted?)
- RO was not a likeable guy (this doesn't exactly apply as a motive specifically to DO, but DO had a lot to lose in his dealings and a lot to gain with RO's death
- RO was having a not very secret affair and his children were upset with this behaviour

Anything else?

They'll be back for instructions from the judge in the morning. (9:30)

I don't think the proved their case, unfortunately, but maybe the jury will consider the body of circumstantial evidence enough to convict.

I'll begin the list of circumstantial evidence:
- a crime of passion...and DO admitted he didn't get a long with his father
- he was the last person seen with RO
- DO was in dire financial straights, including borrowing from his employer on the promise that he would bring his father's account over
- DO missed his last mortgage payment to his father
- DO lied to LE about what he was wearing
- what he was actually wearing was taken to the dry cleaners immediately after, and had suspicious residual spots on the sleeve
- DO behaved strangely after leaving his father's office. He went to the docks, even though he was running late to get home for a dinner. Picked up items and sat on the end of the dock.
- He went the wrong way on Princess St, in an area that he was extremely familiar with (distracted?)
- RO was not a likeable guy (this doesn't exactly apply as a motive specifically to DO, but DO had a lot to lose in his dealings and a lot to gain with RO's death
- RO was having a not very secret affair and his children were upset with this behaviour

Anything else?

-DO lied to LE about the number of times he was at his father's office
-RO phone likely near Renforth wharf at same time as DO, then no more communications

I'm sure there's more.

Some odds and ends that seemed out of place to me

--- killing was on a workday for both men (a Wednesday)
--- yet Dennis did not go to work the next morning (a Thursday)
--- instead , he went to hardware store , and then went to tinker on his boat.
--- Was it a planned day off ??

May not mean anything , maybe he set his own work hours

More in a minute

Then there is this .....

--- picked up beer bottle at wharf
--- later became two beer bottles
--- then became two broken beer bottles
--- recalled the brand name on the bottles (Moosehead)
--- recalled put them in his shopping bag
--- but could not recall what he did with them after that
--- is this another example of convenient memory failure ??

Plus this ....

--- yet shopping bag very clean and white inside (see next post)
--- no bits of glass or dirt or drops of beer in the bag (see next post)
--- had important and historical history documents in his bag
--- who would put old beer bottle trash in there ?

Earlier somebody here speculated Dennis had a second shopping bag .... bingo !!! ... I think they are right !!!! ..... one he carried into the office and the wharf .... and a different one police found in his trunk .... see my next post

--- Shopping Bag Dennis carries from the office has a definite whiteish pattern on a red bag
--- shopping bag police found in his trunk does not , it is a solid red color
--- bag from the trunk is impeccably clean and white inside
--- highly unlikely any dirty beer bottle trash was ever in that bag
--- I think the earlier poster here was correct ... there were two different bags

CTV News video http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/defence-questions-police-handling-of-evidence-at-oland-trial-1.2660319

Attachments

• oland bag in trunk.JPG
    oland bag in trunk.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 17
  • oland inside shopping bag.JPG
    oland inside shopping bag.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 16
  • oland wth bag lv office 2.JPG
    oland wth bag lv office 2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 11
As for the reusable Sobey’s bag being clean, who owns just one of those bags?

Credit goes to Unscripted who first mentioned the possibility of two bags in his post #140

Looks like you nailed it !!!!

I was thinking about a poncho too, Unscripted. We have one we take camping that is so lightweight it fits into a zippered bag about 10x15x4cms.

And very good points about the grocery bag.

Is that maybe a poncho in the trunk of the car in the picture above ??? The White folded thing to the right of the red bag .

Kind of a moot point at this stage of the trial, but if protective clothing was used it would have been on the third visit and not caught on camera (or used back door) .... but then we run out of time to get him to the wharf by 6:44

First time I've noticed this, but if you enlarge that pic of DO leaving the office, it looks like he has a white shoe on his right foot and a brown shoe/sandal or none at all on the left. Probably just lighting, but looks weird. :confused:

Here is another picture

Attachments

• oland wth bag lv office.JPG
    oland wth bag lv office.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 33
Must be lighting Arnie ... here's a zoom from another angle:

Must be lighting Arnie ... here's a zoom from another angle:

I considered the light reflections but both pictures from different lighting angles still show the pattern , plus the witness at the wharf described it in his affidavit as a .... "typical multi-coloured Sobeys shopping bag with a reddish tint"

Attachments

• oland wth bag lv office 2.JPG
    oland wth bag lv office 2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 8
  • oland wth bag lv office.JPG
    oland wth bag lv office.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
Definitely not the same bag! How could police be so hoodwinked into thinking that these two bags are one and the same?
Good job Arnie M!

Dennis said in trial that the car is in his name, but his wife drives it.
Perhaps he did much the same thing with the cars. He said he always loved VW's. Could there be, two VW's in the family? Cops are told this is the one that he drove, and so that is the car that is tested?

No..... too far fetched, right?

So, Dennis will either 1) spend the rest (or significant part) of his life in jail, or, 2) go home and spend his new found wealth.

Questions: If Dennis is found guilty, will he still inherit (upon his mother's death) his share of the estate? Will it include the insurance proceeds? How much life insurance was there? (One of the to do's on the list on Dick's desk was review will, and, some insurance advisors called on him the very day he was killed.)

I just don't know how some of this works.
Thanks

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWilkie1985