Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I considered the light reflections but both pictures from different lighting angles still show the pattern , plus the witness at the wharf described it in his affidavit as a .... "typical multi-coloured Sobeys shopping bag with a reddish tint"

At first I thought it was just reflections too, but you're right, there wouldn't be the same 'reflections' at two completely different angles.

Good work.

First time I've noticed this, but if you enlarge that pic of DO leaving the office, it looks like he has a white shoe on his right foot and a brown shoe/sandal or none at all on the left. Probably just lighting, but looks weird. :confused:

Haaaaa .... sorry sillybilly .... you had been talking shoe color & I was talking bag color in one of my replies .

I did notice the oddball shoe colors but could be from lighting or something .... the pics came from somewhere in the 8:42 minute surveillance tape http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-video-alibi-1.3290384

Didn’t those older ‘Compliments’ reusable bags have different images on each side, say a kiwi on one side and maybe berries on the other? So it could be the same bag maybe… just a different vantage point?

My point earlier was that DO could have done a complete bag switcheroo — chucked, burned, buried the old bag with evidence on the inside and placed a pristine bag in the truck of his car before his car was examined by LE. Most families have a dozen or so of those reusable bags in the larder for bigger shopping runs, I know we do. Maybe nobody in DO’s household would've noticed one or two missing?

Hi everyone! Longtime lurker on this bizarre case. Wondering what everyone thinks on how many times DO actually visited RO's office?

Hi everyone! Longtime lurker on this bizarre case. Wondering what everyone thinks on how many times DO actually visited RO's office?

He hardly ever came to the office through the years .... I just read that today in some news article .

Is that what you meant .... or are you talking about the 3 times he came on the day of the murder ?

(ps:Welcome to the forum)

Day of murder. I was reading over DO's testimony and read that also where he said in the past he only visited RO's office maybe once a month but on day of murder he went in three times? I'm just baffled as to why he would not remember or why he would lie about the times he visited on the day of murder. Strange

The jury is in deliberations. I think they won't take long in reaching a verdict. Judge Walsh in his directions to the jury, told them what is fact, and what must be further thought out, before reaching their decision.

Ha. By the time the judge was finished, the prosecution did not have one shred of evidence left. Did he ever point out anything that would fit the prosecution's theory? :thinking:

Does it make you wonder why DO was charged in the first place, after listening to the higher power of the court? Does it make you wonder why the jury in the first place, why not trial by judge?

quote Walsh from article.

“If you believe Dennis Oland’s statement and testimony that he did not commit this offence, you must find him not guilty,” said Walsh.

Walsh said even if the jurors don’t believe Dennis Oland’s testimony but are left with reasonable doubt, they must find him not guilty.

Walsh reviewed Dennis Oland’s statement to police on July 7, 2011, as well as his testimony during the trial, then told the jury to assess the credibility of his evidence the same way as any other witness.

“I am only trying to assist you, not tell you what to decide,” Walsh said.

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/16/s...underway-at-oland-second-degree-murder-trial/

Hey, stepping over from my sister's thread (Theresa Allore) and the Cedrika Provencher thread.

For what it's worth, I grew up in Saint John, NB. I happened to have been there visiting my parents the day of RO murder.

I do not know DO personally, but a lot of my friends are very close. They simply cannot envision him committing this crime (I know, that doesn't say a lot).

Anyway, if anyone has questions about geographic elements of the area, please ask. I grew up in walking distance of the crime scene, and went to school out by the referenced yacht club. cheers.

Wow, I am shocked. While I think that Dennis is guilty, I didn't think the jury would think there was enough evidence to convict him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-verdict-1.3368684

Dennis Oland has been found guilty of killing his father, more than four years after prominent New Brunswick businessman Richard Oland was found dead in his office.

Jurors reached the verdict Saturday in the second-degree murder case after four days of deliberating after a trial in Saint John's Court of Queen's Bench that started Sept. 16.

Dennis Oland sobbed and said, "Oh no. Oh no," when he heard the verdict. His wife Lisa, and mother Connie sobbed uncontrollably.

In a city where the pejorative “come-from-awayer” is popularly abbreviated as CFA, some thought employing a high-priced Toronto lawyer might backfire on the defense. Mr. Gold easily outclassed Mr. Veniot in closing arguments, but in the end, the jury was not convinced.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/dennis-oland-found-guilty-in-murder-of-his-father/article27883485/?click=sf_globe

I'm still absorbing the outcome!
It sounds like it was a wild scene in the courtroom when the verdict was read, with Dennis sobbing uncontrollably along with other family members.

And, Derek Oland and the rest of the family stand steadfast in their belief in Dennis' innocence. (I wonder why the family doesn't have ANY doubt? Did they all dislike Richard that much?) I can't imagine there won't be an appeal. The family has deep pockets.

Good. He is guilty and needs to pay the consequences. JMO

Sobs for himself but not for his murdered father.

I think this was a tough call, but this jury had guts and I applaud them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back