Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

I am surprised , I expected a hung jury or not guilty verdict because of reasonable doubt .... if I was on the jury I would have let him go , not because I think he is innocent , but because of the poor police work and slender evidence presented by the crown .

To me , one of the most pivotal things in the trial came down to the printshop witness who thought he heard the upstairs scuffle at 7:45 pm , which would clear Dennis , trouble is the other witness said between 6 pm and 8 pm , if not for the second witness I doubt there would even have been a trial in the first place .

I also agree with what Snoopster suggested .... the family maybe thinks Dennis did it but understand why he did it and dont hold it against him . Something like that

I predict an appeal will be filed and he will be let out on bail , or he will serve 3 years of a ten year sentence and get parole.

is there a bunch of evidence that was thrown out or do we know about that yet?

I wonder what tipped the individual jury members to the guilty side? Did they dismiss DO’s testimony entirely? Even if LE’s investigation was flawed (to say the least), did they feel certain that someone on the SJPF must have checked the back door to the alleyway and found that it was locked on July 7, 2011? Did they believe that Anthony Shaw must have been slightly mistaken about the time frame in which he heard the thumps upstairs?

Apart from the minuscule, yet damning, DNA on the Hugo Boss blazer, without adequate explanation from defence, I think the cell phone connection to the Riverside (Rothesay) tower at 6:44 might have been the clincher.

JMO

Sobs for himself but not for his murdered father.

I think this was a tough call, but this jury had guts and I applaud them.

This is what clinched it for me....watching Dennis talking to LE the day his dad was found. He's at Police headquarters, but doesn't seem too concerned about why he is there and what happened to his father. If it was my family member that something happened to I would be pounding the table trying to find out the details. I would be concerned and upset. Instead, DO kept casually chatting away in response to questions. He's not that dumb...he knew why he was there. He thought his casual approach would win LE over, but it didn't.

Dennis Oland is appealing his murder conviction: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-verdict-appeal-1.3374157

Dennis Oland plans to appeal his conviction for second-degree murder in the 2011 bludgeoning death of his father, prominent New Brunswick businessman Richard Oland.

"We have started the preparation to commence an appeal in the near future," defence lawyer Alan Gold confirmed in an email to CBC News on Sunday night.

Gold did not reveal the grounds on which Oland's three-member defence team will seek leave to appeal.

But University of New Brunswick associate law professor Nicole O'Byrne says there are two main grounds of appeal on a conviction by a jury — the admissibility of evidence, and the judge's instructions to the jury.

is there a bunch of evidence that was thrown out or do we know about that yet?

Not sure ..... CBC did a good job of live updates during the trial .... I think we heard most of the important info

Has anyone heard of Dennis or the family hollering for police to find the "real killer" ..... ?? ... I have not.

It seems DO’s legal team tried to have several items, that the Crown wanted to use as evidence, thrown out (including the brown sports jacket). Apparently the Keystone Cops confiscated computer records and tested the brown sports jacket after warrants had expired. The jacket was allowed into evidence, but letters Dennis wrote to his father in 2003 and certain pay stubs were not allowed into evidence.

"The police applied for and obtained a general warrant to forensically examine the various items seized under the house warrant [including the brown sports jacket] and then, inexplicably, allowed it to lapse before conducting the examinations contemplated," said Walsh."

More here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-warrant-charter-1.3357229 (posted December 20, 2015)

Some interesting reader comments on CBC , CTV etc .... in particular one person who said he has known D.O. for years and said he was happy go lucky and expected there was no way he would be found guilty and his lawyer was saying the same thing. No wonder the verdict hit him like a ton of bricks.

His happy go lucky spending habits got him into severe financial straights.

He lied to his employer, his wife about his pay, which as it turns out was an advance on the promise to his employer that he had some potential investors, which was untrue.

He lied on the stand....

He ran down his father in the interview. (no love lost there)

When one is desperate, and full of hatred (concerned about affair that Dick was having - which may have ended in divorce of mother - thus loss of inheritance) Plus the way that Dick treated him and his mother and sisters
You bet, anyone can lose control. imo

Of course he expected to get off. Dennis imo always got his way in his life, the whole family did, why would this be different?

The jury, unlike us, saw all of the evidence before them, and reached their decision. I am sure that it did not make them feel happy.
It must have been very difficult. No one wants to send a man to jail for 25 years.

In fact, the jury has been offered counselling. We do not know, if they have taken up the offer.

Watched the 2.5 hr police interview again and wonder about DO. Is he mpd? Also the way interview ended abruptly, source unknown but story goes that he became unravelled [you could see the beginning of this in the last few minutes with more aggressive questioning] and fell into fetal position. Cops thought he would at that time confess but he did not. This event could not be used as evidence. This, along with many more details make the mystery continue. Why is DO chgd with 2nd degree? Picked up weapon on desk in a rage? I believe he came to office with intent. And what about sister Lisa? He mentions her 4 times in interview, very mad at Dad? Did they commit together? She was not present at verdict. Hmm.....

Watched the 2.5 hr police interview again and wonder about DO. Is he mpd? Also the way interview ended abruptly, source unknown but story goes that he became unravelled [you could see the beginning of this in the last few minutes with more aggressive questioning] and fell into fetal position. Cops thought he would at that time confess but he did not. This event could not be used as evidence. This, along with many more details make the mystery continue. Why is DO chgd with 2nd degree? Picked up weapon on desk in a rage? I believe he came to office with intent. And what about sister Lisa? He mentions her 4 times in interview, very mad at Dad? Did they commit together? She was not present at verdict. Hmm.....

I think he knew he was being taped and the "show" he put on (in the last few minutes) about where he parked (verbalizing out loud, even though no one else was in the room) was exactly that....a "show". I don't think he has MPD. He knows exactly what he is doing and it is an attempt at deception.

JMO.

What is MPD? Okay, I got my answer via google. Multiple personality disorder.\ not sure about that, could be a right fit, but he does show traits of a persecution complex coupled with a deep need to lie most of the time.

Note wife and mother claim his innocence, siblings are quiet.

I watched the taped interview in full to focus in detail on DO's actions/timing ... this is the best I could come up with, considering the details shifting a bit:

Around 5:15 DO leaves his office at Bruswick Square. He drives to Canterbury St (and parks on the street near his father's office for a little while.

He then drives to the parking lot where RO parks and parks beside his father's car. He walks into the Canterbury office, goes up the stairs to the second floor, he then "may have gone to the washroom" (he said this once, but not in future retellings). He doesn't go into the Far End Corp office. He decides to go back to his own office, as he forgot some of the stuff he had planned on bringing.

He leaves the building, walks to his car, pulls out of the lot, turning left up Canterbury (one way street). Instead of turning right on Princess, he turns left (incorrect way on a one-way street) on Princess and then immediately turns right into a gravel parking lot. He stays there for a very short time.

He pulls out of the gravel lot, goes down Princess the correct way, drives two blocks, turns right, drives 2 blocks, turns right, driving back up Canterbury again. He parks on the street in front of his father's office (near the Thandi Restaurant) again. He sits in the car for about 15 minutes. He then goes back into his father's office. It is now approximately 5:30.

That's a heck of a lot of driving and parking considering his father's office is only a 2 block walk from Dennis' office.

DO's first explanation was that he decided to go back to his office to get the stuff he forgot, got part way back and realized that he didn't his office elevator key card, so came back to Canterbury. When asked about why he pulled into the gravel lot, he said he was thinking through his options (go back to father's office without the stuff; go back to his office to get the stuff; or, go home). Then, he drove for several blocks and back again as he finally decided to go to his father's office anyway.

That's a lot of thinking and mulling over a simple visit to his father's office. IMO.

Before he left his father's office he texted his sister Lisa, thinking he was texting his wife, Lisa.
Right after Dennis walked out of his father's office, after their genealogy discussions, his wife called, asking the hell he was. She was sick and wanted him home. Then he went to the wharf...not straight home.

Not the most straightforward journey, was it?

Let me know if I interpreted DO's description of his activities that fateful afternoon.

Good job - I believe you sorted it out.... as close as possible what with his ramblings.

You are so right. An awful lot of mullng and thinking, just to visit dear old dad to drop off some family history stuff.

On the stand, he said he took a third trip, (that was a surprise)

An interesting article today from Macleans Magazine ...

--- Richard was notoriously stingy; he cut off funding to the Rothesay Pony Club, which his father had run at the family estate to teach people to ride horseback. Buskers at the Saint John city market complained that Richard never tipped.

--- Rothesay Mayor William Bishop explained, “he came in about two or three times a year and made sure I knew how the town should be run. He’s one of those people who gets right in your face to make sure you’re listening.”

--- When Richard donated money, he attached all sorts of strings to it.

--- . When one of his former companies, Brookville Transport, declared bankruptcy, he never repaid the money he owed the mechanics. He poached clients from smaller trucking companies and would have put Bud the Spud out of business if he felt like it. He verbally abused his wife and four children, including Dennis, but remained devoted to his beloved sailboat.
--- Mayor Bishop described the man’s funeral: “I don’t know how to put this . . . the church was packed, but there wasn’t a tear shed.”

Full article here:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-oland-murder-trial-that-took-new-brunswick-by-storm/

http://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/columnists/oland-murder-conviction-less-than-convincing

Published on: January 5, 2016 | Last Updated: January 5, 2016 6:57 AM CST
ADJUST
COMMENT
PRINT
It usually is unwise to second-guess a jury verdict, but sometimes you have to wonder: What could they have been thinking?

Such is the case with the second-degree murder conviction in St. John, N.B. of Dennis Oland, 47, descendant of a family famous in the province for establishing Moosehead Beer.

Jury or not, the verdict does not make sense.
(here is part of the article)
Crime-scene carnage, according to uncontested expert evidence, would have left the perpetrator bespattered in blood. And yet Dennis when he left the meeting with his father appeared typically neat and tidy on security cameras and to witnesses. Police found no blood in the car he drove away from the meeting or on a portfolio or bag he had with him. The pants and shoes he wore likewise were devoid of blood.

Four nearly microscopic specks of the father’s blood were found on a sport jacket Dennis wore that day, but the father was a tactile man who chewed his cuticles and had suffered from a bleeding rash on his scalp. Four specks of transferred blood were more consistent with that explanation that with what amounts to an axe murder. Police blundering rendered suspect even those tiny flecks of evidence. The jacket had been handled when it was taken from Dennis Oland’s closet and stuffed into a paper bag by an officer without sterile gloves.

Prosecutors did not even try to explain how Dennis could have left the crime scene without blood all over him. How can they convict a guy of murder when they can’t explain how he did it?

If Dennis is guilty, he must have brought the weapon with him, there being no reason to believe his father kept a drywall hammer lying around his office. He must also have brought a change of similar clothing or some kind of coveralls that he slipped on, perhaps in the office bathroom, and then disposed of later. Either that, or he undressed in the bathroom, murdered his father and then put his clothes back on. How else could he have hacked a man to death with a drywall hammer without getting blood on his shoes, his pants and more than four minute specks on his jacket? To clean the crime scene took days for a disaster restoration team.

What usually makes the difference between first- and second-degree murder is planning. We are convinced Dennis murdered his father, jurors seem to be saying, but we’re not convinced he planned it. Except, if he did murder his father, he must have planned it. To come away with his clothes all but unblemished from a murder scene, where blood was liberally sprayed onto everything else in sight, takes some kind of planning. That would make him guilty of first-degree murder, not second-degree, as the jury somehow found.

That investigating police now themselves are being investigated by New Brunswick’s police commission for their lamentable handling of the case is not reassuring. Among other blunders, a back door to the office opening onto a back alley was left unlocked and unattended by police for days after the murder. By then they had used the door and smeared any fingerprints that might have been on it. Police conceded at trial that the back door was a more likely escape route for the killer than the front door that opened onto a busy street and through which Dennis had departed.

That was just the start of it. Almost unbelievably, attending police for two days used an office bathroom where the killer might have washed before it was examined, fruitlessly, for forensic evidence. Even worse, after contamination of evidence became an issue, an investigating officer testified that he was urged by a senior officer not to reveal that the senior officer had been unnecessarily present at the crime scene.

I am not saying Dennis Oland is innocent, only that his conviction leaves much to be desired. An appeal is expected.

lmacpherson@postmedia.com

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-appeal-1.3398445

Dennis Oland appeals murder conviction, seeks bail
Defence lawyers Alan Gold, Gary Miller, filed documents with New Brunswick Court of Appeal
By Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon, CBC News Posted: Jan 20, 2016 12:29 PM AT Last Updated: Jan 20, 2016 7:18 PM AT

(SNIPPETS} They are seeking to have the conviction quashed, and either an acquittal entered or a new trial ordered.

"The verdict of guilty of second-degree murder was an unreasonable verdict in law and not one that a reasonable jury, properly instructed, could judicially have arrived at," the documents state.

Dennis Oland's lawyers cite Court of Queen's Bench Justice John Walsh's "misdirection or non-direction" to the jury, and his decision to admit certain pieces of evidence as grounds for an appeal.

They contend, for example, that forensic evidence obtained from Oland's blood-stained brown sports jacket — a key piece of evidence in the Crown's case — should not have been allowed because the search warrant did not authorize the forensic testing.

They also allege that lead Crown prosecutor P.J. Veniot "engaged in speculation" on several issues during his closing address to the jury, including an alleged spontaneous argument Oland had with his father over money or his father's extramarital affair, "notwithstanding a complete absence of any evidence in support of such extravagant claims," and without questioning Oland about the allegations during cross-examination.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444
Back