Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we learned any further whether SM’s discovered phone might have revealed anything of the event? And wasn’t there earlier information that SM was supposedly wearing an electronic watch? (I thought IIRC I read that early on, but won’t be able to find any link for it now.) If so, and either or both of these electronic devices exist, maybe there is something obtained from them? That might be in addition to any other electronic surveillance or CCTV footage. MOO

No, today's hearing resulted in a continuance. It will be months (most likely) before we learn anything.

An "unprecedented" amount of evidence, including extensive CCTV footage, is causing delays in court for the matter of Patrick Orren Stephenson ....
Mr Stephenson will remain in custody until the matter returns to court on November 14.
A media application for the charges was also adjourned until Mr Stephenson's next appearance.

Regarding your suspicions Dotta, is that in relation to a mental health issue which could potentially be used as a defence, or a different issue? Thanks.

Just my thoughts based solely on all MSM reports I read (including yesterday ones) concerning the accused
(conduct, behaviour).

JMO

Last edited:
Indulgence, please! I have spent today catching up and have covered appriox 2000 posts, word for word - and have now resorted to picking at the most likely. I still haven't found anything to suggest why the police had PS under surveillance for weeks before his arrest or definitively why they are saying the killing was deliberate. Could anyone please put me out of my misery? Or has neither information still been given?

Indulgence, please! I have spent today catching up and have covered appriox 2000 posts, word for word - and have now resorted to picking at the most likely. I still haven't found anything to suggest why the police had PS under surveillance for weeks before his arrest or definitively why they are saying the killing was deliberate. Could anyone please put me out of my misery? Or has neither information still been given?
I don't believe either of those facts, or any other facts, have been given. We have no idea why he is a suspect (officially) although there is rampant speculation on unapproved sources.

IMO - Maybe the extensive CCTV evidence will clear all that up?

It’ll come down to digital evidence & DNA in my humble opinion.
Hope PS doesn’t pull the “has no memory or recollection of the event” number.

It seems to me
that this "massive collection of CCTV" is still not entirely processed by Police.

Because
it was BOTH Prosecution and Defence
that asked for the 3 months' delay/extension.

Which,
IMO made the Judge a little cross.

The Judge said the case is of utmost importance for the Public and that the case should not drag
(paraphrasing by me ;) ).

Does Quantity mean Quality? :rolleyes:

Time will tell.
Fingers crossed.

JMO

Last edited:
this "massive collection of CCTV" is still not entirely processed by Police.
Because it was BOTH Prosecution and Defence
that asked for the 3 months' delay/extension.
I missed that about both sides requesting more time and you’re right. If the public has handed a massive amount in then PS has potentially been captured on A LOT of cameras. If VICPOl though are sure he killed her, they must have some degree of convincing proof. What’s the point of trawling through the extensive additional cctv then? They have to because they have it, or they are looking for corroborating info?

“The prosecution told the court both parties were seeking at least a 12 week adjournment due to a "significant amount of time" needed to go through a lengthy brief of evidence.”

Is it just me or is Moya O’Brien’s look part of the defence strategy?

If as this article says, he is only allowed out for 1 hour of exercise a day, maybe his bulk is more to do with overeating and doing nothing for 23 hours. I can't see that just doing weights for one hour a day would give him this look. MOO

Isn't it normal in Australia not to learn anything new now till a trial gets underway? If that's the case, expect not much new Intel till late 2025.
You are correct. This is Magistrate only. The Magistrate will hear everything and then determine if there is enough evidence to proceed to trial. Then the trial will begin in a higher court with a Judge.

If as this article says, he is only allowed out for 1 hour of exercise a day, maybe his bulk is more to do with overeating and doing nothing for 23 hours. I can't see that just doing weights for one hour a day would give him this look. MOO
He is likely doing exercises in his cell like a madman. Exercises you can do without additional equipment like pushups and sit ups. Probably knocking out hundreds and hundreds a day.

When Mick Gatto was in the lockup over the Benji shooting in the pizza shop, exercise was virtually all he did and he came out in super shape.

It has been noted that as the food in prisons has improved, Australian inmates are now more likely to complain of it as being “too fattening”

Prison foodservice in Australia

Is it just me or is Moya O’Brien’s look part of the defence strategy?

Paul Galbally would have looked around the office for a kind looking woman to defend this young man, it's all in the optics.. When it comes to trial, she'll be patting his back, and giving him fond looks, as if he's a cute little bear, 'look, I'm a woman and I'm not scared of little bitty him, roll over, boy', this sort of projection.

Moya's reputation is impeccable, a long term instigator of some cases that involved women's rights, etc, long experience at the Bar, he is in good hands, as far as representation goes. She has 2 Galbally brothers back in Chambers overseeing stuff.

As an aside, should the defence be anything in the realm of mental health, often, and more and more these days, the judge makes the doctors get on the stand and explain their position, which means the prosecutor can have a dr explain how he is quite able to distinguish right from wrong, etc. Mental health defence does not mean everyone packs up and goes home, it is the beginning of a long argument , in which a jury decides if he is affected, not doctors, not the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini_Mind