Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 17m17 minutes ago
Dennis Oland murder retrial resumes. Court continues to watch 2015 videotaped testimony of defence's forensic computer expert Geoffrey Fellows.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 41m41 minutes ago
Court now watching 2015 video of defence computer expert Geoffry Fellows. Fellows testified that certain human interactions with a computer are not detectable and it would have been possible for Richard Oland to be in his office and reading a web page the night he was killed.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 38m38 minutes ago
Fellows also analyzed how Richard Oland's office computers were used in a week during the month before he was killed and said there was never sign of use after 6:30.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 15m15 minutes ago
The defence had also asked Fellows to analyze Richard Oland's computer usage history to determine how unusual it was for human activity to stop at around 5:39 p.m.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 13m13 minutes ago
Fellows looked at June 13-17, 2011 - the last full week Richard Oland was in the office prior to July 6. He found human activity on all three of Oland's office computers on those days ended between 3:05 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Crown prosecutor Derek Weaver cross-examining Fellows now. You testified the yachting website could have been open for "10 to 12 hours" with no way to know? Yes.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Weaver argues it could have also been open for only "one second." Fellows agrees it's possible

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 7m7 minutes ago
Weaver contends it was not a very "content-heavy" webpage and to “read it once wouldn’t take very long." Fellows agrees.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 1m1 minute ago
Weaver asks Fellows whether the data he used in his analysis of computer usage history is frequently unreliable because it's constantly being altered and overwritten. Fellows agrees. He compares it to an airplane’s contrails - the farther back, the more detail is lost, he says

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 16m16 minutes ago
Video of Fellows' testimony concludes. Defence lawyer Alan Gold submits an agreed statement of facts. Affidavit by Mary Beth Watt, who co-owned the sailboat Loki with Oland's wife, Lisa.

Judge asks if Gold wants to read it into evidence. Gold says it's unnecessary. Says it's re. the throttle problem court heard about yesterday.

Oland had testified he was shopping around for parts on the morning of July 7, 2011, the day his father's body was discovered, trying to jerry rig a fix for the sailboat

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 12m12 minutes ago
Gold advises the court "if things go as they should," the defence will finish presenting its evidence Tuesday morning and the crime scene visit will be in the afternoon. He does not say what, if any witnesses will be called.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 11m11 minutes ago
Retrial is adjourned until Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oland was in ‘tight’ financial situation before father’s death, denies debt as motive to kill

March 8, 2019

"Dennis Oland has denied his personal financial problems were a motive to kill his multi-millionaire father, Richard, but there’s little doubt he was caught in a severe money crunch on the day his dad was beaten to death.

Oland, 51, told his second-degree murder trial on Friday he was shuffling around debt after several months of rising expenses and shrinking income from his job as an investment adviser.

“I agree it was tight,” Oland said during testimony at his trial for the murder of his father, former Moosehead Breweries executive Richard Oland.

Dennis Oland had bounced a payment on the collateral mortgage on his home – a property that had been in the Oland family for many years. As well, a monthly cheque for $1,667 on an earlier, interest-only loan from his dad for $500,000 had bounced the day before he visited his father in his Saint John office on July 6, 2011.

Oland said he was not aware the cheque had been returned when he visited his father on the day of the killing. He is the last known person to have seen Richard Oland alive.

“Your total spending in the period from January to July, 2011, was about $120,000 – almost four times your income in that same period. I suggest, Mr. Oland, you were living beyond your means,” Crown prosecutor Jill Knee said to Oland during her cross examination on Friday.

“Yes,” replied Oland....

Oland’s salary from January to July, 2011, was just $34,124.02. In addition to paying $4,300 per month in spousal and child support from his first marriage and the monthly installments to his father, he and his second wife, Lisa, had taken several costly international trips.

His credit cards were maxed out and he had just borrowed $8,000 from his employer, CIBC Wood Gundy, as an advance on his pay.

Despite the challenges, Oland told Knee he was not desperate.

“If I needed more money, I would have borrowed more,” he said....

The trial resumes on Tuesday. Justice Terrence Morrison has agreed to a defence request to visit the crime scene, Richard Oland’s office, on Tuesday afternoon.

Morrison said the public is not allowed to be part of the tour."

Oland was in ‘tight’ financial situation before father’s death, denies debt as motive to kill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“As usual, members of the Oland family were in court to show their support, including his mother, Connie, and his uncle, Derek Oland, executive chairman of Moosehead.

They have stood by him from the start, including his first trial in 2015, which ended in his conviction for second-degree murder. The verdict was set aside on appeal in 2016 and the new trial ordered....”
Dennis Oland testifies about his money problems

ROs closest family members continue to support him. I’ve always been curious if the reason is because they truly believe RO is innocent or is it another, verging toward justifiable. I get the impression RO was a son who never could do enough to please his ‘very difficult and controlling’ father. If not RO, then who did it? If the defense were to put forth another possible suspect, it’d definately put me on the fence. Otherwise RO’s financial situation seems to me to be a very possible motive.

Dennis Oland's mother, Connie, shares 'living hell' | CBC News

I don't know if he did it even if he had a controlling and difficult to please father.

I'm confused about the blood. There wasn't that much blood on Dennis- there should have had more blood on him IMO. Wounds on the head tend to bleed a lot. Where did all the blood go, if not on his clothes???

I don't know which way I would go with the verdict if I was a juror.

But who else could have done it without being seen. Think I'm gonna reread the tweets from the testimony of the men who heard some noises.

And I don't remember if there was a back door where someone could exit/enter.

I don't know....

I don't know if he did it even if he had a controlling and difficult to please father.

I'm confused about the blood. There wasn't that much blood on Dennis- there should have had more blood on him IMO. Wounds on the head tend to bleed a lot. Where did all the blood go, if not on his clothes???

But who else could have done it without being seen. Think I'm gonna reread the tweets from the testimony of the men who heard some noises.

I don't know....

I suppose it depends if a murder is premeditated, then maybe a different set of clothing is planned to be worn during the violent act?

But I wiggle, wobble too. It’s the victim’s cellphone that I thought was the most convincing piece of evidence last time around. It was missing from the fathers office and the final ping was somewhere near where DO claimed to have went to see if his children were, near a wharf. That struck me as a very unusual coincidence.

In my last post I wrote RO in error, Dennis = DO, my mistake.

I don't know....

There was a back door:

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 5h5 hours ago
Dennis Oland retrial is back in session. Crown prosecutor P.J. Veniot is now asking John Ainsworth about the door in the foyer outside Richard Oland's office that led to an alleyway out back. Keyed deadbolt only on outside. No handle or knob.
---------------------------------------
So- needed a key to enter, but not to exit

Dz87SLRWoAE4Z1-.jpg
Dz87SLTWsAAnPhX.jpg
Dz87SLUXQCMTc-g.jpg

And the blood on Dennis' clothes:

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 3h3 hours ago
Earlier it should be noted Kearsey, under direct examination, said there was no way of knowing when and how the DNA and blood were placed on the jacket @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 3h3 hours ago
Gold says to Kearsey the stains on the jacket were “tiny,tiny spots.” Kearsey says they were “less than one centimetre in diameter.” @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 2h2 hours ago
Dennis Oland defence has suggested the blood and DNA found on his jacket could have been innocent transfer. Richard Oland had a skin condition that sometimes caused his scalp to bleed and was a 'touchy-feely' talker, court has heard

Mike Cameron‏ @MikeCameronCTV 2h2 hours ago
Kearsey confirms no foreign DNA found on Richard Oland’s fingernail clippings. Gold moves on to timing: “For all you know, that stain on that jacket may have been there for weeks or months” “You can’t tell the age of DNA?” Kearsey: That’s correct.

Gold lays groundwork for possible explanation for how Richard Oland’s DNA got on Dennis Oland’s brown jacket. Gold: Some people happen to shed DNA better than others? Kearsey agrees that some people are “shedders” more than others....

...Defence has made a point of saying that Richard Oland was a “close talker” who would be “in your face” during conversations.

I still don't know about the blood- the clothes were dry cleaned...so..:confused:

I'm tired and can't think right now...

I feel like the cops messed this case up so badly, it's unbelievable.

Allowing the crimescene to become contaminated, not investigating the rear door, failing to interview people until ages after the fact, never asking for RO's girlfriend's husband's phone (in my mind, he would have been a prime suspect with a motive, unlike perhaps anyone else), failing to get the clothing back from forensics for.. how long??, failing to get a print from the bloodied floor before it was messed up, failing to call in experts while the body was still at the scene and everything was still fresh, and on and on.

I think about DO wearing the same pants the next day (would DO really do such a thing, rather than just send them in with the rest of his things - obviously they didn't get sent for drycleaning), and forensics finding no blood on his shirt (it can still linger even after laundering, as we discovered in the Bosma/Millard case), none in the crevices of his shoes, none on his cellphone even though he reportedly used it right after he left his dad's office (no time to clean up yet, at that point), none in his vehicle, which they knew he drove that day. Cellphone keys and stitching on shoes, zippers, etc. are difficult to 'clean up' of all blood trace!

I think about how they're making a big deal about the drycleaning, but without the Crown acknowledging that this was a regular occurrence for DO's clothing, due to his occupation, and his wife was off work at the time, so it wasn't like it was weird for her to take them in for him - I can imagine she just took in whatever she thought needed cleaning, rather than him specifying to her which items. Both of the owners of the drycleaning biz didn't notice any blood on any of the clothing that was brought in. And by the time the clothing was brought in, it was the day AFTER the body was found, so they were aware there was going to be all kinds of funeral, visiting, and arranging, activities to attend to over the next days. Someone who wanted to hide the blood by drycleaning their clothes - wouldn't they take it the very next day?

The prosecutor seems to be really reaching by suggesting that he washed his jacket before having it taken to the cleaners, which is laughable, imo.

The police didn't seem to bother checking anyone else out at all. The fellow from downstairs seemed quite angry during his cross examination. Why? He changed his story/timing way after the fact. Why? The fellow he was with at the time maintained his memory of the timing. It was said that the angry fellow wanted DO to be convicted. Why? If police had bothered to delve into anyone else, perhaps they may have found something about the relationship between THAT guy and RO. But we'll never know, since it seems it was never done.

The fact that DO went into his dad's office while the secretary was still there, made smalltalk with her, and saw her husband waiting for her outside.. if you're going to kill someone, wouldn't you wait until she's gone?

The girlfriend's husband again - he had motive. His wife had been screwing around on him for some 8 years, and it seems it was no big secret. He was too old to be engaged in that type of murderous activity, imho, but who's to say he didn't pay for a hit? Did they even bother to look at that? It seems not, since they didn't bother to take a forensic look at his phone to see who he'd been communicating with. The man admitted on the stand that 'if he'd known, he would have been very upset' (he said he didn't find out until months after the fact), and it seems the couple were divorced fairly quickly afterward. His wife's long-term affair was not just a 'nothing' to him.

It's very nice, but I also wonder why all the support toward DO from RO's own brother? It seems the brother and RO went through bad times years earlier. One might suspect they had little to do with one another at the time of RO's murder. But yet he shows support for DO. Why become involved at all? Did LE bother to look into the status of the relationship between those two? Seems not.

About the ping of the phone at the location of the wharf.. wasn't there discrepancy about when exactly that had occurred? Something about the 'expert' saying it was two days later or something?

To me, it seems like DO didn't have a lot of opportunity to defend himself, because police failed to check out so many things. On the other hand, it also seems like they have very little to go on, in regard to DO.

Money troubles were closing in on Dennis Oland when father was slain: Crown
Oland faces aggressive cross-examination by Crown prosecutor Jill Knee at 2nd-degree murder retrial

Mar 08, 2019

"...His retrial by judge alone in Saint John's Court of Queen's Bench is scheduled to resume on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m....

His income during the first six months of 2011 — $34,124.02 — was the worst it had been in the previous four years, despite the fact the markets were improving.

About $8,000 of that was an advance on his pay, said Knee, and almost all the rest would have gone to his ex-wife in his monthly $4,322 spousal and child support payments, she said.

Although Oland had increased his Visa limit by $7,000 earlier in the year, he didn't qualify for an increase in May, June or July.

"It wasn't sustainable, was it?" asked Knee.

Oland agreed he had to either grow his income or decrease his expenses. He testified he was working toward building his "book of business."

'Wasn't going to bail you out'

"You were mad that Richard Oland wasn't going to bail you out this time," suggested Knee.

"No," said Oland...."

Defence expects to wrap up Tuesday

Oland's defence team expects to finish presenting its evidence on Tuesday morning. The lawyers declined to reveal which witnesses will be called to testify, if any....

Once the evidence portion of the trial is complete, the Crown and defence will take about a month to prepare their post-trial briefs before making oral closing arguments, the court has heard.

The judge has said he suspects it will then take him at least a month to deliver his verdict.

The retrial began on Nov. 21. Friday marked Day 43."

Money troubles were closing in on Dennis Oland when father was slain: Crown | CBC News

dennis-oland-s-house-58-gondola-point-rd-july-14-2011.jpg

(Dennis Oland's home in Rothesay has been in the Oland family for more than 70 years. The property is nearly three hectares and includes horse stables, a large garage, several small outbuildings, as well as a large pasture horse riding ring and wooded areas. [Court exhibit])
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose it depends if a murder is premeditated, then maybe a different set of clothing is planned to be worn during the violent act?

But I wiggle, wobble too. It’s the victim’s cellphone that I thought was the most convincing piece of evidence last time around. It was missing from the fathers office and the final ping was somewhere near where DO claimed to have went to see if his children were, near a wharf. That struck me as a very unusual coincidence.

In my last post I wrote RO in error, Dennis = DO, my mistake.
IF DO had done this, it seems like there are too many things that don't add up, for it to have been a planned thing. Like not waiting for the secretary to leave first, before he went in. And if it was a sudden uncontrollable rage, that also doesn't add up, since he was about one hour later, shopping calmly with his wife. It would be hard to imagine this guy having lost it like that, but yet having complete composure immediately following. I don't think we've heard any stories of DO losing his cool, or being violent or aggressive at any time? To completely lose it in such a gruesome way surely would have shocked himself, if DO had done it. I can't imagine that he'd be so calm and collected immediately following and also the next day during his interview, and then at all of the funeral events.

The victim's cellphone is curious. I was thinking there could be some kind of evidence on there, such as texts which would be visible only from RO's phone and the recipient's phone.. something the recipient wanted hidden, such as perhaps a plan to meet? But then I figured, it could have been taken because possibly RO reached for his phone just as his attack began, it got blood on it, and the killer took it out of his hands, and then took it with him, afraid that his prints and/or DNA might be found on it. But if DO's prints were found on it, would that be worthy of being incriminating evidence? He could have had occasion to hold his dad's phone ages before the murder, to cause a partial print or something... which leads me to think it was someone else whose prints should not ever have been found on the phone.

Dennis Oland defence to call final evidence at murder retrial
Court scheduled to visit crime scene where bludgeoned body of father Richard was discovered 7½ years ago

Mar 12, 2019

"Dennis Oland's murder retrial in the 2011 bludgeoning death of his father Richard resumes in Saint John this morning with what is expected to be the last evidence from the defence and a private court visit to the crime scene in the afternoon.

His lawyers have declined to reveal who will be called to testify, if anyone.

Oland's mother Connie Oland and uncle Jack Connell were among those who were excluded from the courtroom during his testimony last week.

During Oland's first trial in 2015, the defence had intended to call his mother, uncle, wife Lisa Andrik-Oland, sister Jacqueline Walsh and friend Mary Beth Watt to testify on his behalf, but then abruptly closed its case following his testimony....

At 1:30 p.m., the court is scheduled to visit the crime scene after Court of Queen's Bench Justice Terrence Morrison approved an application by the defence.

Morrison, at least one lawyer from the Crown and defence teams, Oland and at least one sheriff's deputy will attend. No members of the public, including reporters, will be allowed...."

Dennis Oland defence to call final evidence at murder retrial | CBC News

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 2h2 hours ago
It's Day 44 of Dennis #Oland's murder retrial in the 2011 death of his father Richard. Oland's defence team expects to wrap up its case today. Unclear if any other witnesses will be called to testify. Retrial starts in #SaintJohn Court of Queen's Bench at 9:30 a.m.
D1c8z1UX0AA70dW.jpg
D1c83_lX0AEuvxD.jpg

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 1h1 hour ago
About to begin Day 44 of the Dennis Oland retrial. This could be the last day of evidence being presented. @Global_NB #Oland

A visit to the crime scene at 52 Canterbury Street has been scheduled for 1:30 this afternoon. It is not open to the public. @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 1h1 hour ago
Dennis Oland's murder retrial will begin in a couple of minutes. The court stenographer just wheeled out a trolly cart with the estimated 300 exhibits.

Court underway. Defence calls Jack Connell to the witness stand. Connell is Oland’s uncle. The brother of Dennis Oland’s mother Connie @Global_NB #Oland

Oland's defence lawyer James McConnell call's Oland's uncle, Jack Connell to the witness stand.

Connell is the brother of Oland's mother, Connie. He grew up in Saint John, but lives in Toronto now.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 1h1 hour ago
Connell has been a faithful brother through the trial - attending from start to finish sitting with his sister. Connell owns the family logbook that Dennis picked up from his father’s office the day Richard Oland was killed.

He visits every summer, usually first 2 weeks of Aug, but 2011 he came in June for a cousin's 100 birthday party

Connell says he came to visit in late June of 2011 for the 100th birthday of a cousin. Dennis and Richard Oland were among the guests at the party. @Global_NB #Oland

Jamie McConnell is handling the questioning of the defence. Connell is asking about the log book which has been brought up frequently during the trial.@Global_NB #Oland

McConnell is asking Connell about the camp log book retrial has heard about. It was for an old family camp on Long Island, along the Kennebecasis River

It's a record of people who visited the camp approx. 1914 -1955. In 2010, Richard Oland asked Connell if he could hold onto the logbook to scan it. He was "obsessive" about genealogy, says Connell.

The book was used to record visitors to a camp built on Long Island in the Kennebecasis River between 1914 and 1955. @Global_NB #Oland

Connell owns the log book @Global_NB #Oland

Connell says the book was a time capsule of the Fairweather family from the 1920’s through the 50’s. He says Dick Oland had an interest in the book having spent time there in the 50’s @Global_NB #Oland

Connell describes Richard Oland’s interest in genealogy as “obsessive”. Connell refers to Richard as Dick. @Global_NB #Oland

The logbook came up at the cousin's 100th birthday party in 2011. Connell asked Connie to call Richard Oland's secretary Maureen Adamson to where it was. Richard had had it for about a year at that point, says Connell.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 1h1 hour ago
Richard Oland was supposed to scan the book at his office but the project took longer than expected and Connell wanted to get it back.

Turns out Richard Oland had misplaced it, says Connell. How did you feel about that? "I was a bit pissed off, "he says. Did you vocalize that? "I think people were aware of it. I did not vocalize it...I may have told my sister," he says.

Mike Cameron‏ @MikeCameronCTV 53m53 minutes ago
In 2011, Richard Oland had misplaced the logbook.
Connell: “I was a bit pissed off.”
Logbook was eventually found.
On evening of July 6th, “Dennis called and said he had picked it up and he would drop it off in the morning.”
On July 7th, 2011, he turned logbook over to SJPF.

Connell says Dick had originally misplaced the book. “I was a bit pissed off” he says but didn’t really vocalize it...maybe to his sister Connie. It was eventually found @Global_NB #Oland

Connell says he was heading home to TO the Wed after Richard Oland's body ended up being discovered. He wanted the logbook back to show his cousin before heading home.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 59m59 minutes ago
Connell says Dennis called him on July 6, around 7:30 p.m. to say he had picked it up from his father and would drop it off at his parents' house for Connell the next morning. It was left on a radiator inside the door the next morning, he says

Connell says he got the log book back on the morning of July 7, 2011. Dennis Oland told him he had retrieved it from his father’s office. Connell would turn it over to police the same day @Global_NB #Oland

Defence refers to email chain between Connell and Dennis Oland on the morning of July 7th...shortly after 11AM. @Global_NB #Oland

Defence ends questioning. No cross examination. The defence rests its case. @Global_NB #Oland

McConnell done questioning Connell. Crown prosecutor Derek Weaver has no questions for Connell.

Court taking a 15-20 break while lawyers discuss timelines going forward regarding written and oral submissions from both the Crown and defence @Global_NB #Oland

Crime scene visit will be held at 11:30 a.m. instead of 1:30 p.m. Just a reminder, this is not open to the public, or the media.

Oland retrial takes short recess to give Crown and defence time to come up with timeline for next steps - when they'll have their closing arguments ready etc.

Just before ending questioning Connell told the court they had planned to have lunch with their 100 year old cousin Marg Bourne. That ended when Connie received a phone call regarding Richard. “The day changed rapidly,” he said @Global_NB #Oland
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 39m39 minutes ago
Court back in session @Global_NB #Oland

Justice Terrence Morrison tells them he also wants them to submit a detailed chronology of events. He says he realizes there will be some disagreements, but "as much as possible," he wants an agreed chronology

Judge says he's "still not clear" on exactly "how and when" the possible footwear impressions in blood were discovered at the crime scene. Wants the 3-member Crown and 3-member defence teams to clarify that. You have more manpower than I do, he says.

Just getting back to the logbook, ICYMI, Dennis Oland testified last week his 3rd trip back to his father's office on July 6, 2011, the night he was killed, because he forgot to pick up the logbook to take home to his uncle.

Crown alleges 3rd trip was when he went back to kill his father. Logbook was forensically tested. No blood detected. Crown alleges Oland removed the logbook from the office before he went back the 3rd time.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 37m37 minutes ago
Anywhere there is disagreement in the chronology - like what time Anthony Shaw and John Ainsworth heard banging coming from Richard Oland’s office the night of the murder - put it in red, he says.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 38m38 minutes ago
Defence lawyer Alan Gold suggests defence submit its post-trial written brief by April 30. April 30? asks judge with surprise. "Seems quite a ways out Mr. Gold," he says. "There’s a lot of ground to cover," says Gold.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 36m36 minutes ago
Judge says he understands that, but "surely a month or 5 weeks would be sufficient, would it not?" Points out his work of coming up with written decision begins once their work ends. "I would prefer not to be doing it in July, quite frankly," he says.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 39m39 minutes ago
Defence lawyer Alan Gold suggests April 23rd for written submissions with the Crown submitting by April 30th @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 36m36 minutes ago
May 9th and 10th set aside for oral submissions and to answer questions from the judge @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 35m35 minutes ago
Parties settle on defence written submissions by April 23, Crown by April 30. Oral closing arguments May 9 at 9:30 a.m. May extend into May 10. Judge says he doubts he'll have a decision before June 7. Unlike juries, he has to give detailed reasons, he says

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 36m36 minutes ago
A decision from the judge is not likely to be made before June 7th or June 14th @Global_NB #Oland
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 45s45 seconds ago
Sheriff’s officers outside the Far End Corporation as a view of the Richard Oland crime scene takes place. Inside are Dennis Oland, Justice Terrence Morrison, defence lawyers Michael Lacy and Jamie McConnell and PJ Veniot and Derek Weaver from the Crown @Global_NB #Oland

D1dwx01X4AYYy5v.jpg

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 4m4 minutes ago
Dennis Oland is inside with at least 2 of his defence lawyers. Crown prosecutors P.J. Veniot and Derek Weaver are also inside.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 2m2 minutes ago
2 sheriff’s deputies stand guard outside during judge’s crime scene visit. Head sheriff George Oram is inside.

D1dwtDAWoAcEUWq.jpg

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 1m1 minute ago
No members of public or media allowed inside

D1dxL96X0AAaxXB.jpg
D1dxL9tX4AEdmr8.jpg

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 22s23 seconds ago
Viewing is over. Everyone one has now left. It took less than ten minutes @Global_NB #Oland

Kevin Worrell‏ @kevinhworrell 1m1 minute ago
Dennis Oland,defence lawyer,crown and Justice Morrison have all left the Richard Oland crime scene from July 6,2011

(video clip: Kevin Worrell on Twitter )

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 41s41 seconds ago
Judge exits crime scene after less than 10 minutes. Glances across the street at Thandi restaurant before getting into a waiting car. That’s it. Dennis Oland murder retrial now adjourned until May 9 at 9:30 a.m.

D1dx6zjXQAII8Ee.jpg

Dennis Oland, lawyers, judge visit scene of father’s murder before final arguments

MARCH 12, 2019

"Dennis Oland revisited the office where his father, Richard, was bludgeoned to death eight years ago as evidence wrapped up Tuesday at his second-degree murder trial.

Sheriffs guarded the entrance to the crime scene in uptown Saint John, allowing only the main participants in the dramatic trial into the small, second floor office where 69-year-old Richard Oland was killed on July 6, 2011.

News reporters, camera crews and a few curious onlookers lined up on the narrow, one-way street across from the office as Dennis Oland, accompanied by defence lawyer James McConnell, quickly entered through a street-level door.

Crown prosecutors and the judge in the case, Justice Terrence Morrison, also entered.

No members of the public or news media were allowed to take part in the visit, which was purely a visual inspection of the scene as requested by the defence.

The retrial is now adjourned until May 9, when the Crown and defence will give closing arguments.

There won’t be a verdict in the trial, which is before judge alone, until mid-June or later....

The final witness on Tuesday was Jack Connell, Dennis Oland’s maternal uncle. He told the court about a family logbook Oland retrieved from his father’s office on July 6, 2011.

The defence said it is telling the book had no blood on it, but prosecution lawyers contend Oland removed it from the office before he returned for a third visit when they say he killed his father...."

Dennis Oland, lawyers, judge visit scene of father’s murder before final arguments

“As usual, members of the Oland family were in court to show their support, including his mother, Connie, and his uncle, Derek Oland, executive chairman of Moosehead.

They have stood by him from the start, including his first trial in 2015, which ended in his conviction for second-degree murder. The verdict was set aside on appeal in 2016 and the new trial ordered....”
Dennis Oland testifies about his money problems

ROs closest family members continue to support him. I’ve always been curious if the reason is because they truly believe RO is innocent or is it another, verging toward justifiable. I get the impression RO was a son who never could do enough to please his ‘very difficult and controlling’ father. If not RO, then who did it? If the defense were to put forth another possible suspect, it’d definately put me on the fence. Otherwise RO’s financial situation seems to me to be a very possible motive.

Dennis Oland's mother, Connie, shares 'living hell' | CBC News

I totally agree with your thinking. Being bullied your entire life and then being under significant financial stress, only to have to go and face your bully would be almost unbearable. I think the rest of the family knew what a horrible person Richard was toward his own family. I think they feel sorry for Dennis.

Sad, no matter how this turns out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lily89
Back