Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 43m43 minutes ago
Lacy asks if Oland dropped off the brown sports jacket and other clothing to the dry cleaners. No. Did he arrange for them to be dropped off? No. Not sure when he became aware they had been dropped off, he says

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 33m33 minutes ago
You told Const. Stephen Davidson you were wearing a navy blazer when you visited your father on July 6 - what can you tell us about that? asks Lacy. "That was a mistake," says Oland. The information I gave to Const. Davidson was wrong.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 32m32 minutes ago
Oland says he had been wearing the navy blazer the morning he was interviewed. Because he had it on so briefly, he must have had it in his head that it was the day before, he says

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 31m31 minutes ago
Were you trying to purposely mislead him? asks Lacy. "Absolutely not," says Oland. Were you trying to hide the fact you had been wearing the brown jacket when you visited your father? "I was not trying to hide anything," he replies.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 30m30 minutes ago
Lacy tells the judge he thinks he's almost done questioning Oland, but would like to review his notes. Court adjourns for the day. Trial resumes at 9:30 a.m.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 10m10 minutes ago
CORRECTION: Phone records show Oland called his wife's cellphone at 7:24 p.m., but she was calling him at the same time, so their calls went to voicemail. Oland called his wife's cell again at 7:26 p.m.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'I want to clear my name': Oland takes the stand in his own defence (with clip)

March 6, 2019
Last Updated Thursday, March 7, 2019

"SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- Dennis Oland says he did not kill his father and he wants to clear his name.

When the 51-year-old businessman started testifying Wednesday at his trial for the second-degree murder of his father, Richard Oland, he immediately challenged the prosecution's assertion that he flew into a rage over money and bludgeoned his father to death on July 6, 2011.

"Did you do that?" defence lawyer Michael Lacy asked Oland shortly after he took the stand in a hushed Saint John courtroom.

"No," Oland answered emphatically.

Lacy asked Oland whose decision it was for him to testify at the judge-only trial, his second for the murder. His conviction in a 2015 jury trial was set aside on appeal in 2016 and a new trial ordered.

"It is my decision," the slightly built, soft-spoken investment adviser told the court.

"I want to clear my name. I think it is important for people to hear, with my own voice, that I did not kill my father."

Lacy asked Oland if he killed his father because Richard Oland was engaged in an extramarital affair. He said he heard a rumour about the affair and did raise the issue with a family friend, but did not discuss it with his father..."

'I want to clear my name': Oland takes the stand in his own defence
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis Oland testifies about money problems at murder trial

March 7, 2019

"SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- Dennis Oland was juggling the routine demands of parenthood on the day his father was beaten to death, texting his kids about basketball games and dental braces.

There were discussions about kayaking, going to the beach and a mechanical problem with the sailboat his second wife, Lisa, co-owned with a friend.

"Typical day?" defence lawyer Michael Lacy asked on Thursday as Oland testified at his trial for the second-degree murder of his father, Richard, on July 6, 2011.

"Yeah," Oland answered. "Four kids are a lot of work."

The quiet-spoken investment adviser was also at work that day, at CIBC Wood Gundy in Saint John. He had asked the company to help him get through a "cash crunch" caused largely by spousal and child support payments, and a monthly instalment he was struggling to pay his father for an earlier, $500,000 loan....

Oland acknowledged in court he was carrying a lot of debt, but he calmly insisted it was never a big concern.

"The ongoing accumulation of debt, was it a concern for you?" Lacy asked after going over several, expensive international trips Dennis and Lisa took in the months prior to the killing.

"No," Oland answered, adding it was the way he and his wife lived. "It's stuff we always did and it was a continuation of that."

Later on July 6, 2011, Oland dropped by his father's nearby office to discuss an interest shared by father and son: the genealogy and history of the Oland family, a well-known Maritime business family that has its roots in England.

His father was a former executive of the family owned Moosehead Breweries Ltd., Canada's oldest independent brewery.

Dennis Oland had recently returned from a lengthy trip to England and he told the court he wanted to discuss his family history findings with his father.

His late afternoon visit marked the last known time Richard Oland was seen alive. His beaten body was found lying in a pool of blood on the floor of his office the next morning.

Dennis Oland said he did not know that his cheque for his July loan payment to his father had bounced the day before due to insufficient funds. He said if he had known in advance, he would have asked his father's secretary to hold off on cashing the cheque for a few days.

It was "not at all" an issue, he said....

As usual, members of the Oland family were in court to show their support, including his mother, Connie, and his uncle, Derek Oland, executive chairman of Moosehead.

They have stood by him from the start, including his first trial in 2015, which ended in his conviction for second-degree murder. The verdict was set aside on appeal in 2016 and the new trial ordered.

Oland is expected to be on the stand into Friday."

Dennis Oland testifies about money problems at murder trial
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis Oland says the notion he brutally bludgeoned his father to death is "absolutely ridiculous."

"I'm not that kind of monster," he testified Thursday at his second-degree murder retrial in Saint John.

"I'd never do that to my dad, or any person."

'I'm not that kind of monster,' Dennis Oland testifies at his murder retrial | CBC News

Of course I don't know if this man is guilty, but anyone would say the same thing, guilty or not.
Richard Oland did not seem like a particularly nice man. Did his son hate him enough to bludgeon his to death? Clearly Richard had financial problems and his father didn't seem to want to help him out. That's a pretty strong motive. But, I'm not sure.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 3h3 hours ago
Day 43 of the Dennis Oland retrial is set to begin shortly. Oland remains under direct examination officially but cross examination is expected today. The defence was to review its notes before officially wrapping things up @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 3h3 hours ago
It's Day 43 of Dennis #Oland's murder retrial in #SaintJohn #NB and 3rd day of his testimony in his own defence. Court is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. I'll be live tweeting from the courtroom.

D1Gi2EBWwAEW4Yk.jpg

Crown is expected to start cross-examination of Dennis #Oland at some point today. Courtroom is slowly filling up.

Justice Terrence Morrison is seated. Dennis Oland's murder retrial is in session...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 3h3 hours ago
Dennis Oland returns to the witness stand. No more questions from the defence. Crown prosecutor PJ Veniot asks for five minute break before cross examination begins @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 2h2 hours ago
It appears Jill Knee will lead the cross examination for the Crown. PJ Veniot cross examined Oland at the first trial in 2015 @Global_NB #Oland

Defence lawyer Michael Lacy recalls Oland to the stand. Lacy announces that after reviewing his notes overnight, he has no further questions for his client. Crown prosecutor P.J. Veniot requests a 5 min recess before beginning cross-examination
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 2h2 hours ago
Looks like the Crown team's newest member, Jill Knee, is setting up at the podium to handle the cross-examination. Veniot handled it during Oland's first trial in 2015

Knee begins by questioning Oland about his relationship with his father @Global_NB #Oland

Jill Knee begins cross-examination of Dennis Oland. She notes within minutes of his police statement, he began discussing his relationship with his father, Richard Oland. He agrees.

In your direct examination by defence lawyer Michael Lacy you said you tried to accurately reflect your relationship - the peaks and valleys? asks Knee. Yes, says Oland. You didn't tell police about any peaks, did you? Oland contends he did

Under questioning from Knee Oland says “He(Oland) could be a jerk to me, yes”. Knee refers to Oland’s statement to police @Global_NB #Oland

Knee is leading Oland through his police statement almost line by line. Your father was not the easiest guy to get along with? No. Easier to keep your distance? Yes. You grew up in a family of really high expectations? Yes.

You said during your teenage years he was a jerk to you all the time? asks Knee. He could be a jerk to me, yes, says Oland. He was always hard on you? He wasn’t always hard on me - he was hard, says Oland. You said it was great to get away to summer camp? Yes

Family gatherings were not always pleasant? asks Knee. Some were not, agrees Oland. You mentioned an incident where the flame of a Christmas cake burned out and he got disproportionately mad about it? Yes. That upset you, made you mad? Upset me, didn't make me mad.

Upset you enough to leave? I didn’t leave. Upset you enough to mention it in your police statement? Yes

Even as an adult, your father maintained his high expectations of you? asks Knee. Yes, says Oland. He still wanted everything to be perfect? I wouldn’t put it that way - there were high expectations.

He wanted everything to be his way? Not everything - there were things he wanted to be his way

You were like a waiter the whole time you were around Mr. Oland? Yes. On your toes, hoping not to mess something up? At times it was like that, yes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oland agrees at the time of his father’s death he still got into phone arguments with his father. He says inappropriate things were said. Okand referring to his father “He was controlling” @Global_NB #Oland

At the time of his death you still got into phone arguments? asks Knee. Yes, says Oland. You had a ton of small fights with him? Yes. There were conversations where inappropriate things were said? There was a track record, he says.

There were man conversations where hurtful things were said? Yes. Overall, you found your father's personality really difficult to get along with? Yes.

Knee suggests Oland was an “order taker” when it came to his business relationship with his father @Global_NB #Oland

Your father did not want to be your friend? asks Knee. No, agrees Oland. In fact, you didn’t want to be friends with him either? It’s one of those things where if you're having difficulties, you don’t want to be friends with him, but when things are going well, you do.

Knee says when his father called....Oland would go running to the phone to answer including July 6, 2011 @Global_NB #Oland

When you sailed with him, he would bark and bark at you? asks Knee. Right, says Oland. He wanted things his way on the sailboat? Yes. Like other things in Mr Oland’s life, he was controlling? He was controlling, agrees Oland.

You said you and your father had a shared passion for cars, but he didn’t trust you to drive his vehicle? asks Knee. Oland disagrees.

Knee displays and email from Oland to his father on June 16, 2011 (about a month before he was killed), asking to borrow his car so he could chauffeur his stepson Andru to his high school grad. Within 13 minutes, his father replied, "No Dennis I never do that."

Oland says they had a subsequent conversation about it and that his father didn't like the "optics" of a "fancy" car like that going to that type of event

To say your father was one of your clients as a financial adviser would be a stretch - your role was more of an order taker, suggests Knee. Yes, says Oland. Wasn’t perfect? There were times where it would be difficult. If anything went off the rails, he'd get upset? Yes

If you didn’t answer the phone by the third ring, he'd get upset? Yes. Your fear of not picking up on time was still alive and well in 2011? asks Knee. I wouldn't call it a fear, says Oland.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were all things you mentioned to police within the first hour of your statement on the day your father's body was discovered - do you agree? asks Knee. Oland agrees.

Knee refers to the first hour of the police interview on July 7 where he was describing the relationship between Oland and his father. Knee suggests he wanted the police to know how much of a bad person his father was. Oland disagreed (cont’d) @Global_NB #Oland

Okand says he was trying to be honest. He says “I wish I had a better relationship with my father. There were times it was troubled” @Global_NB #Oland

Oland disagreed with Knee’s suggestion that the bulk of his statement to police about his father was negative. “I said many things about the good parts of my relationship,” Oland said @Global_NB #Oland

You did not have a healthy father-son relationship? When I compare it to my relationship with my children, my relationship with my father was not as healthy, no, says Oland

I wish I had a better relationship with my father and there were times when it was troubled, says Oland.

You thought it was a good idea to tell police how awful your father was and how awful your relationship with him was? asks Knee. I was trying to be forthright, says Oland.

You wanted the police to feel bad for you about your relationship with your father, she suggests. Oland says he wanted to provide an accurate picture

I said many good things about our relationship, says Oland. I explained to Const. {Stephen} Davidson the positive parts and the negative parts, he says. The bulk was negative, suggests Knee. I would disagree, says Oland.

I would say I expressed some very positive and wonderful things about my relationship with my father and I also expressed the negative, Oland maintains
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your father had a whole life outside your family? asks Knee. Yes - sailing, fishing..., says Oland. Girlfriend? interrupts Knee. Possibly yes, replies Oland. (Court has heard Richard Oland had an extramarital affair with realtor Diana Sedlacek.)

Knee refers to police statement where Oland’s sister referred to Richard as a “dirty pig” related to the affair. Oland disagreed with Knee’s suggestion that he agreed with his sister’s assessment @Global_NB #Oland

A year before your father's death you were concerned about that affair? asks Knee. Curious, replies Oland. Upset enough to raise it with your father's business associate Bob McFadden? Yes.

You said people were starting to know, maybe it should stop? It was more 'maybe they should keep it quiet'... or stop, replies Oland.

But that didn’t happen, did it? asks Knee. No, says Oland. You talked about it with your sister Lisa as well? Lisa would talk to me about it, he says.

You told police your sister thought he was a "dirty pig" because of it? Yes. You agreed with her? No
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knee moves on to brown sports jacket referring to Oland telling police he was wearing a blue jacket, not brown. Knee suggests “You were lying to them,” “I absolutely disagree,” Oland says maintaining it was a mistake @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 1h1 hour ago
Knee asks about Oland telling police he wore a navy blazer when he visited his father on the night he was killed when he actually was wearing a brown sports jacket. Oland says he made a mistake.

Knee notes he remembered minute details about the genealogical info he says he and his father discussed that night, remembered seeing his father's secretary's husband's car parked outside. ...

Knee says to Oland “I’m going to suggest to you that you are the person that wasn’t going to put up with Richard Oland anymore.” “I disagree,” Oland responded. Court takes morning break @Global_NB #Oland

The cross examination certainly seems more aggressive to begin with as compared to the original trial in 2015. Oland has remain composed and appears confident in giving his answers. @Global_NB #Oland

Knee moves fairly quickly during questioning. She has focused so far on Oland’s relationship with his father and has consistently referred to Oland’s statement to police on July 7, 2011 @Global_NB #Oland

Knee also brought up a text Oland mistakenly sent to his sister Lisa at 612Pm on July 6th, meant for his wife Lisa. Knee suggested he sent it to his sister because he was flustered leaving his father’s office. Oland said “No” @Global_NB #Oland
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cross examination resumes after break. @Global_NB #Oland

Knee moves on to Oland at the Renforth Wharf. She says his daughter kayaked earlier in the day, his other daughter was home and his son was at New River Beach. She suggests he knew his kids wouldn’t be there. Oland disagreed saying it was also a local hangout @Global_NB #Oland

Oland says absolutely disagrees with Knee’s suggestion that he wasn’t at the wharf to visit his children @Global_NB #Oland

Knee moves on to divorce settlement of 2009. @Global_NB #Oland

Knee changes direction back to Oland’s relationship with his father. “We weren’t trust fund kids”, says Oland @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 1h1 hour ago
Knee is questioning Oland about divorce settlement and his desire to keep the home on Gondola Point Road. @Global_NB #Oland

Knee suggests Richard Oland didn’t do anything that wouldn’t benefit himself. @Global_NB #Oland
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Only things he forgot were what he was wearing that night and making 3 trips into the office, not 2, as he told police. Knee suggests he's lying. "I absolutely disagree with you," says Oland.

"You can’t imagine how difficult a day that was, You can’t imagine the sadness and the shock," says Oland. "It was a very, very difficult time. I tried very hard."

Knee asks about a text message Oland sent at 6:12 p.m. on July 6, 2011, the night his father was killed. Oland says he meant to send it to his wife Lisa, but he sent it to his sister Lisa by mistake. "I’m at my dad’s office doing history stuff. I shud (sic) not be too long."

Oland testified yesterday he sent the text as he as leaving his father's office. You're not being honest with wife there? asks Knee. "No, I’m not," says Oland, without elaborating.

Knee suggests he sent it to his sister instead of his wife because he was "flustered" when leaving his father's office. No, he says

I've fallen a bit behind in my tweets, but fyi, Oland just said: He was a good dad. He was not the best dad. He was a good dad.

Okand replies “He was a good dad. He wasn’t the best dad. He was a good dad.” @Global_NB #Oland

Knee asks Oland about stopping at Renforth wharf on his way home from visiting his father. He said he went there to see if his kids were there.

But his son Henry had gone to New River Beach that day, he knew his daughter Emily was at his wife's home and Hannah had been kayaking there earlier in the day, she says. Suggests he knew his kids wouldn’t be there. I don’t agree with you - it was a local hangout, says Oland.

You knew your wife was sick and wanted you home? asks Knee. Yes, says Oland. But you decided to stop at the wharf? I suggest you didn’t stop at the wharf that day to see your kids, says Knee. I absolutely disagree, replies Oland.

You say you took the red reusable grocery bag out of your car at the wharf to put a broken beer bottle in? asks Knee. Yes, says Oland. You say you walked to the end of the wharf? Yes. You walked by a garbage can twice? Yes.

Why wouldn’t you put the bottle in that can? Oland says he didn’t realize the garbage was there until he walked back. Says he may have put the bottle in that garbage can or one at home.

Knee argues it doesn't make sense to put a dirty beer bottle in bag containing genealogical documents. I disagree, says Oland. If the bottle was dirty, he probably would have carried it, he adds.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knee points out Oland stopped making interest only mortgage payments in November 2011. Oland agrees his income decreased in 2009 and 2010 with the first six months of 2011 the worst for him in four years @Global_NB #Oland

Knee brings up email to Oland’s boss in June of 2011 where she suggested Oland wanted his boss to believe he would be bringing in 10 to 20 million dollars in new business. Oland disagreed with the assumption @Global_NB #Oland

Knee suggests Oland was in a “desperate state of affairs” in June of 2011. Refers to email about salary advance. Oland disagrees. @Global_NB #Oland

Knee moves on to Oland’s spending. Between January and July of 2011 Knee outlines total spending of more than $120,000. Oland agrees he was living well beyond his means @Global_NB #Oland

Knee:”You always spent frivolously.” Oland: “Yes”

Oland argues he was in the process of increasing his business @Global_NB #Oland

Oland agrees to shuffling debt around @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 49m49 minutes ago
You agree living in this was was in no way sustainable? asks Knee. Right - I had to grow my income or decrease my expenses, says Oland. You hadn't done either of those things, she argues. He contends he was in the process of building his book of business

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 47m47 minutes ago
Knee points out Richard Oland's business associate Bob McFadden, a chartered accountant, testified he knew nothing of the $1M in investments Dennis told CIBC Wood Gundy he'd be bringing in. Oland says McFaden wouldn't know about it

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 46m46 minutes ago
Knee argues Oland was "just shuffling debt around" in the months before his father's death. Yes. Using one debt to pay another? Yes.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 44m44 minutes ago
Knee notes he missed a mortgage payment in June 2011. You were at risk of losing the family homestead? That’s an exaggeration, replies Oland. Did you miss a mortgage payment? Yes. Did the bank have a right to take your home if you missed a mortgage payment? Yes

Knee shows Oland’s final Visa statement before his father’s death. $30,199.51 balance. He was supposed to pay $3833.51 but agrees he didn’t have the funds @Global_NB #Oland

Brett Ruskin‏Verified account @Brett_CBC 1h1 hour ago
At the time of Richard Oland’s death, Dennis’ VISA debt was $30,000 (which exceeded his $27,000 card limit). His line of credit was nearly maxed out. He owed the CRA $16,000 dollars.

Knee references Oland increasing the collateral mortgage line of credit on his home to $163.000 in February and says by June of 2011 it was over the limit @Global_NB #Oland

Knee advises the court she's about to get into another area of questioning. Suggests this is a good time to break for lunch. Dennis Oland murder retrial resumes at 1:30 p.m.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 55m55 minutes ago
Trial taking lunch break. Back at 1:30PM @Global_NB #Oland
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 37m37 minutes ago
Oland retrial has resumed. The accused Dennis Oland remains on the witness stand under cross examination @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 37m37 minutes ago
Dennis Oland retrial is back in session. Crown prosecutor Jill Knee continues aggressive cross-examination.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 36m36 minutes ago
Crown prosecutor Jill Knee detailing post dated cheques to his father for the interest only payments on the house mortgage. He would mail them as opposed to just walking them over @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 35m35 minutes ago
Knee says payments missed for May,June and July 2011 @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 35m35 minutes ago
Okand disagrees with suggestion that he mailed the cheques in order to avoid having a conversation with his father about it @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 34m34 minutes ago
Oland. Spelling correction.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 29m29 minutes ago
Knee is asking about Oland's $1,666.67 monthly interest-only payments to his father on $500K loan. He paid through post-dated cheques. Payments were handled by his father's secretary Maureen Adamson.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 30m30 minutes ago
Knee and Oland going back and forth about Oland’s account being in the negative on July 5, 2011. Whatever the case Knee has suggested Oland was in financial straits @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 25m25 minutes ago
Adamson had emailed Oland to tell him his cheques had run out. None for May or June 2011. Oland mailed some more - asked Adamson to hold off on cashing first one until July 4.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 23m23 minutes ago
Cheque bounced on July 5, 2011 - the day before Oland went to visit his father on the night he was killed. Oland testifies he did not know the cheque had bounced or was going to bounce.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 21m21 minutes ago
You were 3 payments behind by then? Yes. Knee notes Oland deposited a rent cheque on July 6. Suggests he would have known his balance by that and that cheque to his father had bounced. Oland maintains he did not know.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 20m20 minutes ago
Knee suggests Oland was "in financial distress." "I agree it was tight," says Oland, but wasn't in financial distress. You had no resources left, she presses. "If I felt distressed, I would have taken steps to rectify it. Borrow more money? Sure, yes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 27m27 minutes ago
Knee moves on to the dry cleaning of brown jacket. She suggests Oland dropped off the jacket or had his wife Lisa drop them off. He denies this. He says he would have known before July 10th, 2011 @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 24m24 minutes ago
Knee accuses Oland of washing the brown jacket before taking it to the dry cleaners after the murder of his father. Oland calmly says no @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 13m13 minutes ago
Knee questions Oland's testimony yesterday that he had nothing to do with the brown sports jacket he wore when he visited his father on the night he was killed being dry cleaned the day after he was questioned by police. Oland said he didn't drop it off or arrange for anyone to

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 9m9 minutes ago
Oland had said he wasn't sure when he became aware of it having been dry cleaned. First he could remember was when his stepson Andru tried it on for the July 10 visitation

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 8m8 minutes ago
Knee displays photo of Oland's closet on a large monitor in the courtroom. Argues he would have noticed the other sports jacket and 16 shirts also dropped off at the dry cleaners July 8 missing from the closet. He agrees.

D1J8TBeWoAA2Etk.jpg

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 6m6 minutes ago
Knee suggests he is the one who took the jacket to the dry cleaners and washed it himself first. Oland denies the allegation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 26m26 minutes ago
Knee moves on to Oland visiting his father. Oland says his father did not know he was coming @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 23m23 minutes ago
On Oland’s first visit to his father’s office, then leaving before going in. Knee: “You were nervous about going to see him that day.” Oland: “No I was not” @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 17m17 minutes ago
On the second visit Knee suggests he brought up his financial situation after speaking about genealogy with his father. Oland denies this @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 12m12 minutes ago
Oland didn’t tell police about the third visit to the office. Knee says “You didn’t tell them about the third visit because that was when you went back to kill your father” @Global_NB #Oland

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 9m9 minutes ago
Oland says “That is wrong. I did not kill my father. I did not purposely deceive Cst. Davidson” Stephen Davidson was one of the officers to interview Oland on July 7, 2011. Knee abruptly ends her cross examination of Oland. Defence asks for a short break @Global_NB #Oland
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 55m55 minutes ago
Court resumes after short break @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 54m54 minutes ago
I did not kill my father and I did not purposely deceived Const. [Stephen] Davidson, says Oland. Crown prosecutor Jill Knee has no other questions.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 49m49 minutes ago
Dennis Oland back on the stand. Michael Lacy asking Oland about marriage contract. Oland says his wife refused. Lacy asks about $500,000 loan from father. Oland says it was his father’s idea. Redirect ends. Dennis Oland’s testimony concludes @Global_NB #Oland

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 48m48 minutes ago
Defence lawyer Michael Lacy asks a couple of follow up questions. Oland is done testifying. Leaves witness box, walks back to table near prisoner's box, where he has been seated throughout the retrial.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justice Terrence Morrison announces he's going to grant defence request to have court visit the crime scene - victim's 2nd-floor office at 52 Canterbury St. Will be on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. No members of the public will be allowed, he says.

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 44m44 minutes ago
Justice Terrence Morrison also rules he will visit 52 Canterbury Street Tuesday afternoon. The public is not permitted to attend. The defence had asked for the visit to give the court a better sense of the compactness of the space @Global_NB #Oland

He'll give written reasons later, but says the 'prevailing view" is visit is not evidence, simply aid to understand evidence. Also notes it's private property

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 47m47 minutes ago
Oland and at least one counsel from Crown and defence must be present, he says. There will also be one or more sheriffs

Defence has previously said they expect the view will take less than an hour. Judge has previously said there won't be any discussion at site

Andrew Cromwell‏ @Andrew_GlobalSJ 44m44 minutes ago
The rest of the day will be taken up with the replaying of testimony from the first trial of defence witness Geoffrey Fellows, a forensic computer analyst @Global_NB #Oland
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 42m42 minutes ago
Oland defence lawyer Alan Gold starts to play videotaped testimony of the defence team's forensic computer expert, Geoffrey Fellows, from Oland's first trial in 2015. Crown and defence have agreed to play the video rather than recalling him.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 41m41 minutes ago
They've done this for some other witnesses too.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 40m40 minutes ago
Defence called Fellows (pictured here in 2015) to testify about the last human interaction with Richard Oland's office computers. Crown witnesses previously testified 5:39 p.m. - around the time Dennis Oland arrived.
D1KDE2UW0AAidZc.jpg

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 35m35 minutes ago
Fellows, who is from the UK, testified that Richard Oland could have been using his computer "for hours" after Dennis Oland left his office on July 6, 2011 - the night he was killed.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 34m34 minutes ago
Although the last trace of human interaction was at 5:39 p.m., there are several computer activities that can't be detected, he had said, citing reading a static website as an example

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 34m34 minutes ago
Other activities, such as closing a browser or a document, are also generally undetectable, Fellows had told the court

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 19m19 minutes ago
The crowded Saint John courtroom has pretty much cleared out since Dennis Oland finished his testimony.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 19m19 minutes ago
Oland is watching the 2015 video testimony of the defence's forensic computer expert on a monitor at his table, his head resting in his left hand

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 16m16 minutes ago
Justice Terrence Morrison agrees to deem Fellows an expert qualified to give opinion evidence in the forensic analysis of computers, as well as the recovery and interpretation of digital data - as Justice John Walsh did at Oland's first trial in 2015
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lily89
Back