Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dennis Oland joins lawyers, judge for visit to scene of father’s murder

Mar 14, 2019

"SAINT JOHN, N.B. — Dennis Oland revisited the office where his father, Richard, was bludgeoned to death eight years ago as evidence wrapped up Tuesday at his second-degree murder trial.

Sheriffs guarded the entrance to the crime scene in uptown Saint John, allowing only the main participants in the dramatic trial into the small, second floor office where 69-year-old Richard Oland was killed on July 6, 2011.

News reporters, camera crews and a few curious onlookers lined up on the narrow, one-way street across from the office as Dennis Oland, accompanied by defence lawyer James McConnell, quickly entered through a street-level door.

Crown prosecutors and the judge in the case, Justice Terrence Morrison, also entered.

No members of the public or news media were allowed to take part in the visit, which was purely a visual inspection of the scene as requested by the defence.

The retrial is now adjourned until May 9, when the Crown and defence will give closing arguments.

There won’t be a verdict in the trial, which is before judge alone, until mid-June or later...."

https://panow.com/2019/03/14/dennis-oland-joins-lawyers-judge-for-visit-to-scene-of-fathers-murder/

Dennis Oland's 2nd murder trial: What was new this time around
As Crown and defence write their summations, a look at how Oland’s retrial for father's death was different

Mar 16, 2019

"...Some of the new evidence introduced at the second trial:...

The defence's post-trial brief is due April 23 and the Crown's by April 30.

The retrial is scheduled to resume on May 9 at 9:30 a.m. with closing arguments.

Morrison has said he doubts he'll have a written decision ready before June 7 — just a month shy of the eight-year anniversary of Richard Oland's death...."

Dennis Oland's 2nd murder trial: What was new this time around | CBC News

Dennis Oland's 2nd murder trial: What was new this time around
As Crown and defence write their summations, a look at how Oland’s retrial for father's death was different

Mar 16, 2019

"...Some of the new evidence introduced at the second trial:...

The defence's post-trial brief is due April 23 and the Crown's by April 30.

The retrial is scheduled to resume on May 9 at 9:30 a.m. with closing arguments.

Morrison has said he doubts he'll have a written decision ready before June 7 — just a month shy of the eight-year anniversary of Richard Oland's death...."

So as for the new evidence, nothing really remarkable I don’t think.
- the discarded sticky notes found a month after the murder
- evidence of alcohol consumed by vuctim, trace amounts.
- re-enactment of back door exit by killer

But the defence had devoted great effort pointing out the shoddy police work. Verdicts are always interesting and certainly not aiways very predictable. I think DO was wise to choose trial be judge because there’s a greater chance of a judge identifying what constitutes reasonable doubt.

I followed this case first time around with interest and watched both features on Fifth Estate. Much of the evidence pointed in the general direction of DO. But now this second trial, me personally, I do say I’m now less convinced of DO’s guilt this time around so as a trial follower, I predict a Not Guilty verdict.

I hope it's a not guilty verdict. To me, they shouldn't have even charged him, considering the various failings in the investigation. Just doesn't seem right. So to me, a killer walks free.
For all we know, RO could've tried to break it off with his gf that day, and she could've sought revenge.. could've been her husband.. (either of them could've hired someone).. could've been a business association/non-associate who wanted to be an associate, etc. (Could've even been RO's wife, hired someone for all we know!)
Not sure about the verdict though, as was said, unpredictable.

I hope it's a not guilty verdict. To me, they shouldn't have even charged him, considering the various failings in the investigation. Just doesn't seem right. So to me, a killer walks free.
For all we know, RO could've tried to break it off with his gf that day, and she could've sought revenge.. could've been her husband.. (either of them could've hired someone).. could've been a business association/non-associate who wanted to be an associate, etc. (Could've even been RO's wife, hired someone for all we know!)
Not sure about the verdict though, as was said, unpredictable.

Yes I agree. The situation with the gf who was also married is known but were their other secret dalliances as well? As his moral boundaries appear to have been lacking in general, the prosecution has a tough job to prove it was only DO with motive and opportunity.

I don't remember hearing about a time of death for RO. I very well could have missed it. But considering that his body was discovered fairly quickly, since we know it was sometime between when his secretary left and when she returned the following morning, I would've thought the ME may have been able to pinpoint a time... the secretary had said something about someone having brought him pizza that day?

I don't know if I'm reading it right.. but it seems there was some kind of filming event/photo shoot taking place that same evening of RO's murder, and I'm getting that it was on the street right in that same vicinity? I'm unclear about why that witness wouldn't have testified at the first trial? Is that not important information? That is the approximate time that the men downstairs had heard the 'thumping' noises, presumed to be RO being murdered, and the same timing which would prove DO's innocence, seeing as how he was proven to be shopping with his wife. The fellow can't say whether he saw the man outside RO's office on the 5th or the 6th; police have video of him there on the 6th (the evening of the murder), but they didn't even bother to check video for the previous night. For this stuff to not have been followed up on more, is just unbelievable to me!

A new witness at the retrial, Saint John Harbour MLA Gerry Lowe, testified he saw a man exit the front door of the victim's office building, possibly on July 6, 2011, the night of the killing. Lowe couldn't remember if he saw the man July 6 or July 5 but did tell police about seeing a photo shoot while across the street at Thandi restaurant.

The Crown and defence entered an agreed statement that a photographer was at Thandi's on July 6, starting at 7:46 p.m. The court saw security video of Lowe at Thandi's on July 6 between 7:40 p.m. and 8:35 p.m., but Saint John police never confirmed if he was also there the previous day.

Lowe did not testify at Oland's first trial but has become an important witness at the retrial as the Crown and defence seek to establish what time the victim was killed on July 6, 2011.

Lowe told police he saw a man exit the door that led to the victim's second-floor office at 52 Canterbury St., while he was eating at Thandi's restaurant across the street.

But he is a regular patron of the restaurant, having eaten there several hundred times over the years, and isn't certain if he saw the man on July 6 or July 5.

"I've racked my brains the last couple months," Lowe told the court. "I've thought and thought. … It's just been so long. Eight years is a long time."

The court has seen security video of Lowe entering Thandi's with a woman on July 6 at 7:40 p.m. and leaving at 8:35 p.m. Police did not obtain any video from the previous day.
The Crown contends the victim was dead by the time Oland left at 6:30 p.m.

But the defence argues the killing happened sometime after 7:30 p.m., when Anthony Shaw, who was working downstairs at Printing Plus, testified he heard thumping noises coming from the victim's office.

Lowe said he's certain he saw a man exit the door and turn right toward King Street, but couldn't recall what he told police or even that he spoke to police three times — on July 7, 2011, July 9, 2011 and on May 29, 2015. He could only remember the latest meeting with Const. Stephen Davidson.

Gold called Davidson to the stand and asked whether Lowe had mentioned seeing a photo shoot outside the restaurant. Davidson confirmed he had.

The Crown and defence previously entered an agreed statement that a photographer from Nova Scotia, who had been hired to do a Saint John marketing shoot in 2011, took photos at Thandi's on July 6, arriving at 7:46 p.m.

Dennis Oland defence abruptly withdraws cellphone witness at murder retrial | CBC News

Ex-deputy Saint John police chief seeks judicial review of commission investigation

Apr 05, 2019

"The former deputy chief of the Saint John Police Force is seeking a judicial review of the New Brunswick Police Commission's investigation of allegations against him in connection with Dennis Oland's murder trial.

In documents filed with the Court of Queen's Bench, Glen McCloskey alleges the commission acted in "bad faith" and that he was "denied natural justice due to a lack of procedural fairness."

The commission's appointed investigator, Barry MacKnight, concluded in December 2016 that McCloskey made false statements at Oland's first trial in 2015 and to Halifax police officers, who ultimately cleared McCloskey of criminal wrongdoing.

McCloskey, now retired, wants the court to quash MacKnight's report and declare it "did not meet the reasonableness or the correctness standard."

Although McCloskey missed the deadline to apply for a judicial review, his new lawyer, Moncton-based Brian Murphy, has requested an extension. The motion is scheduled to be heard June 5...

Oland is being retried by judge alone. The retrial is scheduled to resume on May 9 with closing arguments. Justice Terrence Morrison has said he doubts he'll have a verdict before June 7."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...e-deputy-mccloskey-commission-oland-1.5084893
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-deputy police chief made false statements at Oland murder trial, investigator finds

Dec 10, 2018

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...n-mccloskey-oland-murder-commission-1.4926393
---

Police association slams Police Act investigation into ex-deputy police chief

December 27, 2018

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/glen-mccloskey-police-association-oland-1.4960126
---

Ex-deputy police chief admits mistakes in Oland case, denies allegations

Jan 10, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...murder-retrial-father-richard-oland-1.4972533
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-deputy Saint John police chief sues N.B. Police Commission, former executive

Apr 15, 2019

"The former deputy chief of the Saint John Police Force is suing the New Brunswick Police Commission and its former executive director for alleged negligence in how they handled a conduct complaint against him in connection with the Dennis Oland murder trial.

Glen McCloskey accuses the independent civilian oversight body and Stephan (Steve) Roberge of failing to conduct the Police Act investigation without bias, deliberately engaging in unlawful conduct in exercising their public function, and violating the public trust.

In documents filed with the Court of Queen's Bench in Saint John, McCloskey also accuses the commission of breaching its duty to protect him from unwarranted disciplinary action and Roberge of damaging his economic interests through unlawful means.

McCloskey, who retired last April, is seeking compensation and costs....

Oland is being retried by judge alone. The retrial is scheduled to resume on May 9 with closing arguments. Justice Terrence Morrison has said he doubts he'll have a verdict before June 7."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...-mccloskey-lawsuit-commission-oland-1.5098594

obert Jones‏ @cbcjones May 9
Back in court this morning for final arguments in Dennis Oland’s murder trial.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones May 9
Lawyers have had 56 days to prepare for today compared to 11 days in trial #1 when a jury could not be kept waiting.

Justice Terrence Morrison was surprised at how long lawyers wanted to take prepare final arguments and shaved a couple of weeks off what was asked but mostly relented to the request for substantial time.

Written submissions were delivered last month so both sides and the judge could study the arguments and prepare for today. The submissions will be made public this morning.

Court begins. Morrison says he has “pages” of questions but says some of those may be answered as each side give oral presentations this morning.

Gold says the defence questions a number of factual assertions made in the Crown’s brief and has prepared a presentation to point out what it feels are errors.

Morrison says it will be up to him to decide what the evidence is and isn’t. Gold agrees but would like permission to provide the written critique.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 23h23 hours ago
Dennis #Oland murder retrial resumes in #SaintJohn. Justice Terrence Morrison has more questions for lead defence lawyer Alan Gold, who presented closing arguments this morning.

Oland, who is sitting outside the prisoner's box at a table near his defence team, is listening attentively to the proceedings. His right elbow is on the table, his head resting on his hand.

Morrison is done questioning Gold. Lead prosecutor P.J. Venoit is ready to begin closing arguments on behalf of the 3-member prosecution team

Veniot begins by addressing defence's allegation of errors in the Crown's written submissions. He acknowledges there are a couple of errors, including typos, which he is pointing out and correcting now

Crown prosecutor PJ Veniot acknowledges there are a couple of errors - mostly typos he says - but if the defence wants to submit a 50 or 60 page critique the Crown should be able to respond point by point. This is not the procedure agreed to says Veniot.

Although we do our best, errors come about, says Veniot. Judge is understanding. "The evidentiary record here is extensive, as you know," he says

Morrison says he will look at the document during the morning break and figure out what to do.

Other 'errors' alleged by defence, argues Veniot, are really just "arguments." He says there are many items the Crown and defence don't agree on, including "their importance, their weight and what inferences can be drawn." That's why there was a trial & post-trial briefs, he says

This case is about whether Dennis Oland killed his father, says Veniot. It's "not about tunnel vision or confirmation bias - not in the police investigation, not in the prosecution - despite what the defence would have you believe."

If we have to have a future hearing on this we will, says Morrison about the defence critique of the Crown’s facts. I have to get this (verdict) right says Morrison.

This is not a situation where police ignored evidence because it didn’t fit with the guilt of the accused, he says

Morrison now asking about areas of agreement between crown and defence. He begins with noises heard the night of the murder by Anthony Shaw and John Ainsworth.

Does everyone agree these noises were connected to the murder? Everyone agrees. (There are disputes about the time the noises were heard but not about what the noises were)

Morrison asking detailed questions about the testimony of Anthony Shaw who testified he heard noises everyone now agrees was the murder after what he believed was 7:30 the evening Oland was killed.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 22h22 hours ago
Statement/testimony of Anthony Shaw, who guesstimated he heard thumping noises coming from the victim's office around 7:30 p.m. - an hour after Dennis Oland had left - was not ignored, says Veniot.

But the only "reasonable inference," in light of all other evidence, is the death occurred before 6:44 p.m., and Dennis Oland is the only person who would have had opportunity at that time, Veniot alleges

Dennis Oland was unquestionably gone from his father’s office before 6:40. As a matter of legal principle if I accept Anthony Shaw’s testimony as truthful do I have any option but to acquit Dennis Oland without looking at any evidence beyond his testimony?

Morrison says legal rules are clear in how to deal with the testimony of an accused that is believable - acquittal without the need to review other evidence - and he wants to know if the same rule should apply to Anthony Shaw.

Court adjourns briefly prior to final oral arguments beginning. Defence will go first says Morrison.

Last edited:
Back to the Shaw issue for a moment. Justice Morrison was asking about a Sulreme Court instruction on how to assess the credibility of witnesses and what to do with that assessment. That decision in part reads:

“First, if you believe the evidence of the accused, obviously you must acquit. Second, if you do not believe the testimony of the accused but you are left in reasonable doubt by it, you must acquit......

“....Third, even if you are not left in doubt by the evidence of the accused, you must ask yourself whether, on the basis of the evidence which you do accept, you are convinced beyond a reasonable doubt by that evidence of the guilt of the accused.”

Morrison is pondering whether he should apply the same test not just to Dennis Oland but to witnesses like Anthony Shaw.

Court resumes. Alan Gold begins final argument for the defence.

Gold starts with a discussion of the dangers of circumstantial evidence and the human tendency to view meaning and patterns in separate events that are not in reality connected.

It’s an issue of “confirmation bias” says Gold where facts that appear to support a view of events are given importance and facts that do not support that view are dismissed.

The defence has argued from early in the trial that SJ police fixated on Dennis Oland as the guilty party early on and viewed everything in the case through that prism without considering other possibilities.

This case is a textbook example of confirmation bias argues Gold.

Lots of evidence of Richard Oland not using his phone and computers or returning messages the entire day of the murder and yet the crown views inactivity after 6:30 as evidence he was dead. Why? Confirmation bias.

Anthony Shaw’s very clear testimony of hearing the murder at 7:30 is dismissed as a guesstimate because it doesn’t fit the Crown’s theory. Richard Oland’s phone connecting to the Rothesay cell tower at 6:44 is considered proof Dennis has the phone only because it fits the theory

There are other possibilities the phone connects to that tower - Richard Oland himself went out for a drink for example - but that is dismissed because it doesn’t fit the theory.

Gold attacking the testimony of John Ainsworth who also heard the noises Anthony Shaw heard. Ainsworth agreed the time of the noises were after 7:30 for three months after the murder until he realized that helped Dennis Oland.

Then he changes his story that they could have been much earlier, says Gold. He is not believable.

Had to step out briefly to file a story for radio news but have returned to court. Gold still building case that police bias and instant belief in Dennis Oland’s guilt tainted its evaluation of all evidence.

Gold dismisses errors and omissions in Dennis Oland’s statement to police as innocent mistakes - not significant evidence of guilt as posited by the crown.

Dennis Oland’s zig zag route after leaving his father’s office for the second time as caught on security footage is not evidence of distress or disorientation - just normal distracted behaviour says Gold.

Oland leaves the office and turns left (his car is to the right) and walks for a bit and eventually crosses to the wrong side of the street before recrossing back to his car.

Crown’s theory is that Dennis has been rejected for financial help by his father during visit #2 and leaves in distress before returning for the murder in visit #3. Gold says lots of people forget where they park.

Gold concludes by rejecting the idea that there are too many circumstances that suggest Oland’s guilt to be dismissed. He visits the day of the murder. He arrived and leaves three times. He wears a jacket that has blood and his father’s DNA on it......

.....he’s facing significant financial problems with the murder victim his largest creditor. The only item missing from the murder scene - a cell phone - connects to a cell tower in Rothesay at the same time Dennis is also in Rothesay. ...

.....statements to police include key omissions and errors including about the third and final visit to the office and the blood stained jacket worn that day. All these random events pieced together do not add up to a guilty verdict says Gold.

The crown has argued it is beyond belief that some other unknown person has committed the murder and just got lucky that all of these circumstances arose one after the other on that day to wrongly point to Dennis Oland instead.

Morrison asks a number of pointed questions to Gold about his submission. Court breaks for lunch.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 1d1 day ago
Court is back in session and Justice Morrison continues to press defence lawyer Alan Gold in some of the elements of his final argument.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 24h24 hours ago
He’s also putting issues to Gold that the Crown has critiqued about the defence in its written final argument.

A lot of the questions are on very minor points. Morrison appears to want to dot every i and cross every t.

Morrison concludes his questioning of Gold. The Crown is invited to deliver the oral version of its final argument.
--------------------------------------

Lead crown prosecutor PJ Veniot begins, as the defence did this morning, by making corrections in the written submission. Veniot says there are six.

The changes are not major. The first one is in relation to Richard Oland’s cell phone being “off or disabled” after receiving one last text message from Diana Sedlacek at 6:44 the evening of the murder. Veniot says the word “disabled” was not used at trial and should be struck.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 23h23 hours ago
Veniot switching to main argument. There is no tunnel vision or bias in this case says Veniot. The police did not ignore evidence that did not fit with Dennis Oland’s guilt.

Look at the search of Dennis Oland’s car. It turned up no useful evidence. We shared all of this with the defence. Credible witnesses who did not support the crown’s case - like Anthony Shaw - were called to testify by the crown.

We have concluded there is other evidence about time of Richard Oland’s murder that makes Anthony Shaw’s time estimate doubtful. That is not tunnel vision. That is evaluating all the evidence together.

We are asking for a common sense evaluation of all the evidence together. Do not look at bits and pieces in isolation. Look at the entire picture and how everything fits together.

Dennis Oland visits his father unannounced. The day he visits his finances are in the worst shape they have ever been. He’s deeply in debt and overdrawn.

He visits three times. He does not go all the way in the first time. He turns around and leaves. The second time he sits in his car for ten minutes before entering. After this second visit he comes out of the office disoriented and wanders up and down the street.

He texts his sister instead of his wife by mistake. Veniot reminds Morrison that the Court of Appeal already found this theory of a financial discussion between Richard and Dennis going badly was speculative but not unreasonable.

Although Richard Oland’s body is found by his desk and computers there is no use of the computers or cell phone after Dennis leaves at 6:30. No signs of life from Richard at all.

There is a brutal murder but no robbery. The only missing item is a cell phone and the phone connects to a cell tower in Rothesay at 6:44 - just as Dennis Oland heads to Rothesay following his third and final visit.

As the Court of Appeal chief justice said, there is no "smoking gun" in this case, says Veniot. "We would not be asking you to draw inferences if we had direct evidence of everything, but there are gaps" which is not out of the ordinary for these types of cases, he tells Morrison

The "reasonable inference" is Oland wore his brown sports jacket during the crime: he wore it that day, he was the last known person to see his father alive, he had exclusive opportunity to commit the offence, he lied to police about which jacket he wore...

..., the jacket was dry cleaned the day after police told him he was a suspect, the jacket had bloodstains on it and DNA matching his father's profile. This did not arise from "circular reasoning" defence accuses Crown of, says Veniot.

The jacket Dennis Oland wore that day is eventually found to have blood and his father’s DNA on it. He tells police he was wearing something else. And the jacket is sent to be dry cleaned the morning after Oland is interviewed by police.

"This is a case about all the evidence and how it fits together - not trying to explain away individual pieces of evidence in a vacuum," argues Veniot.

This was not a robbery, says Veniot. The only thing missing from the crime scene was the victim's cellphone and a "note" from the woman he was having an affair with, which the court "knows nothing about," he says.

Richard Oland was killed by Dennis Oland and no one else, concludes Veniot. That is our submission.

Richard Oland suffered 45 blows, says Veniot. This was a "crime of passion, this was personal. It was not a random killing by a crackhead, we submit," he says, referring to a comment Dennis Oland made to police during his videotaped statement

Oland "lied" to police about what jacket he was wearing, Veniot alleges, to mislead the investigation. After being told search warrants would be executed, the jacket was dry cleaned the next morning. Despite this, blood and DNA matching father's profile was found, he says

When one considers all this together, the only reasonable conclusion that can be reached is that it was Dennis Oland who killed Richard Oland, says Veniot.

After careful consideration of the entirety of the evidence, the Crown has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Dennis Oland murdered Richard Oland, Veniot asserts

Last edited:
Veniot is done making closing arguments. Justice Terrence Morrison has some detailed questions. Stresses they do not indicate any predetermination of the case in any way shape or form

You call this a crime of passion says Morrison. But the killer brought the weapon with him/or her. That sounds deliberate. Doesn’t that undercut your crime of passion element?

Judge notes Crown argues it was a "crime of passion," yet the murder weapon was removed and nothing other than the cellphone was missing from the crime scene. "How does that not speak to premeditation," which would be 1st-degree murder, not 2nd

We didn’t feel we had sufficient evidence to support a premeditated murder says Veniot. We have no evidence on where the weapon came from.

Veniot says decision to proceed with 2nd-degree was made before he joined the prosecution team, but Crown didn't feel there was evidence to support 1st degree.

We know there was a weapon, we know there was a killing, we know the weapon was removed. We also suggest the weapon had to be brought. No evidence re. what the weapon was or where it came from

There was speculation among investigators the murder weapon resembled a drywall hammer, given the nature of Richard Oland's injuries - 45 sharp- and blunt-force wounds

D6JPL_NXoAARtb4.jpg

Last edited:
Judge asking about Crown's allegation Oland failed to disclose to police his trip 3rd visit to his father's office that night because that’s when the murder occurred and that the reason he stopped at the wharf on his way home was to destroy evidence

If he concealed the third visit, why would he tell police he stopped at the wharf? asks Morrison. Otherwise, police wouldn’t have known he stopped there.

Morrison asking Veniot about defence's argument there should have been more blood evidence, given bloody crime scene. 4 small bloodstains on Oland's jacket, but none found on his shoes, in car, on Blackberry, or grocery bag he was carrying after extensive testing

Defence argues this can be viewed 2 ways: failure of Crown to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, or that the lack of evidence in itself is exculpatory, he says. eg. If someone shoots somebody, one would expect to find gun residue on their hands if not washed.

Morrison asks Veniot what he says to that. Veniot says too many unknowns re bloodletting - "dynamic event" with unknown weapon. Small amount of blood shouldn't be viewed as exculpatory, he argues. Issue is whether judge is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt based on all evidence

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 21h21 hours ago
Judge is done questioning Veniot. #Oland retrial is on short recess while Crown considers whether it wants more time to respond more fully to defence's written submission this morning alleging "errors" in Crown's post-trial brief

Crowd in the courtroom has thinned. Low hum of people whispering...

Venoit says Crown feels no need to reply to defence's written submission re. alleged errors in Crown's post-trial brief. It's the evidence that's more important than what either party has to say, he says

Judge previously said he wouldn't have a decision ready before June 7. "I realize now that was wildly optimistic," he says.

There are very few judge-alone murder trials and even fewer that are this lengthy and complex, says Morrison. He cites other shorter cases where judges took 3 or 4 months to deliver verdicts.

"I realize it’s a strain on everyone - the accused, his family, the media, the general public - the longer this goes on, but it's important I get it right," he says. New date for decision is July 19, 10 a.m.

Morrison thanks court staff and counsel. "Often in trials, particularly long ones, tempers flare...in the heat of battle," he says. "Surprisingly not a hallmark of this case," he says

I realize the tremendous amount of work and effort that all of you put into this case and the stress it places on counsel," says Morrison. He appreciates their dedication, professionalism and respect they showed each other. "You’re a credit to your profession and I thank you."

Dennis #Oland leaves the Saint John courthouse with his wife Lisa Oland. His fate is now in the judge's hands. @CAllard_RC

D6JfLCeXkAAFvxx.jpg

Dennis Oland murder retrial decision in father's 2011 death now expected July 19

May 09, 2019

"A decision in Dennis Oland's murder retrial in the death of his father, Richard Oland, is not expected until at least July 19 — more than eight years after the multimillionaire was bludgeoned to death in his Saint John office.

New Brunswick Court of Queen's Bench Justice Terrence Morrison had hoped to have a ruling ready by June 7. But after hearing closing arguments on Thursday, he said he now realizes that was "wildly optimistic."...

Unlike a jury, a judge must give detailed written reasons for his or her decision that can stand up to judicial scrutiny upon appeal. Morrison cited other shorter trials where the judges took three or four months to deliver their decisions.
If he isn't ready by July 19, Morrison said he will notify counsel....

Oland sat quietly Thursday, listening to closing arguments from his seat near his lawyers, outside the prisoner's box. The courtroom was filled with friends and members of his family, including his uncle, Derek Oland, the victim's brother and executive chairman of Moosehead Breweries...."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-closing-arguments-1.5127906
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge reserves decision until mid-July in Dennis Oland murder trial

YESorNO, thanks very much for copying that huge amount of trial by tweet here. The prosecution’s arguments seem quite compelling but I’m not even going to try guess what the Judge’s verdict will be because it could go either way.

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 5h5 hours ago
Verdict coming this morning in the second trial of Dennis Oland.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 3h3 hours ago
40 min before the #SaintJohn courthouse even opens and the lineup for the verdict in Dennis #Oland’s murder retrial has started

D_1U7vaXUAIi_3V.jpg

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 2h2 hours ago
Lead Crown prosecutor in Dennis #Oland’s murder retrial, P.J. Veniot, arrives at the #SaintJohn courthouse for the 10 a.m. verdict

D_1X6t4WsAA9tm3.jpg

#SaintJohn courthouse is open. Crowd here for the verdict in Dennis #Oland’s murder retrial starts filing in and through security

(video clip: Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon on Twitter )

Head sheriff George Oram greets the crowd

D_1b5BIX4AAQmM4.jpg

Courthouse is open but the courtroom isn’t. Crowd is waiting in another line in the hallway

Robert Jones‏ @cbcjones 2h2 hours ago
Courthouse is open but courtrooms are not. I count 50 people in the hall waiting outside courtroom #12 for the doors to open and rush seating to begin.

Okay courtroom is open and it is standing room only already to hear the Oland verdict with proceedings not scheduled to begin for another hour.

Dennis #Oland murder trial decision to be delivered today in #SaintJohn #NB at 10 a.m. http://CBC.ca/1.5215559 #law #court

D_yosZhXUAAhyba.jpg

Appears a second courtroom has been outfitted with closed circuit television to accommodate the overflow - similar to the sentencing of Justin Bourque in Moncton in 2014.

Crowd is loud. Noise level has reached a dull roar

Lineup in the hallway starts to block access to the elevator. Head sheriff asks crowd to swing the line to the opposite end of the hallway. Honour system, he says. Don’t want anyone to lose their spot

Many of the people here are Dennis #Oland supporters, including family lawyer/friend/neighbour Bill Teed, childhood friend Val Streeter and friend Larry Cain

Some background: Dennis #Oland's 2nd murder trial: What was new this time around

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-closing-arguments-1.5054635

Ray Arseneault from Sarnia Ont. is here for the Dennis #Oland verdict. He grew up on the west side and says he’s “fascinated” with the case. He and his wife are touring NB, celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary, and they scheduled a stop here to hear the judge’s decision

And Dennis #Oland in his own words: What he told his murder retrial in #SaintJohn #NB http://CBC.ca/1.5054419 (@Brett_CBC photo)

D_ypxtyWkAApdOk.jpg

Courtroom is full. About 10 people are standing at the back. Sheriff is leading them out. Looks like they're heading to the spillover courtroom next door.

The spillover courtroom is starting to fill up. It's got a closed-circuit system, so people will be able to see and hear Justice Terrence Morrison as he delivers his decision.

There's a large monitor at the front of the courtroom with alternating images of the judge's chair, the prisoner's box area and the public gallery. Oland does not sit in the prisoner's box, but at a small table near his defence team's table

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 1h1 hour ago
Dennis Oland's mother Connie, sister Jacqueline Walsh and at least two of his children are here. So is his uncle Derek Oland, the victim's brother and executive chairman of Moosehead Breweries.

Dennis Oland's lead defence lawyer Alan Gold just walked into the courtroom. Getting papers out of his briefcase, getting set up...

A hush just fell over the public gallery. Still 25 min to go before the verdict...

The newest member of Dennis Oland's defence team, Michael Lacy, of Toronto, is seated.

Oland's defence lawyer Alan Gold spins his chair around and is scanning the crowd in the courtroom

Some extra chairs have been set up at the back of the courtroom to accommodate the growing crowd. Fire code sets max occupancy at 124

Dennis Oland's cousins Andrew and Patrick, CEO and CFO of Moosehead Breweries are here showing their support

3 Crown prosecutors just entered the courtroom - lead P.J. Veniot, Derek Weaver and the newest member of the team, Jill Knee

Dennis' 3rd lawyer, James McConnell, is here now too.

Noise level in the courtroom just dropped again. Tension is building...

Dennis Oland is here. Greets his supporters with a smile. Takes his seat.

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 60m60 minutes ago
Lead investigator Const. Stephen Davidson, major crime unit Sgt. Jay Henderson, Acting Insp. of the criminal investigations division Sgt. David Brooker and head of police union Const. Duane Squires (one of the 1st officers to respond to the scene) are all here

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 58m58 minutes ago
Dennis Oland is wearing a grey suit, powder blue shirt, navy and red diagonal striped tie

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC 57m57 minutes ago
Court clerk Amanda Evans just entered. Looks like court will be starting very shortly...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back