Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Back in court Monday, November 2:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-jacket-blood-1.3299712

The brown sports jacket seized from Dennis Oland's bedroom closet was touched by the former lead investigator with his bare hands, the murder trial heard on Monday.

It was also kept folded up in a paper bag for about four months before being examined forensically, Saint John Police Force ​Const. David MacDonald testified.
"He grabbed it by the sleeve with his bare hands," said MacDonald, who had carefully donned a fresh pair of latex gloves for each of the 57 items seized to avoid any contamination of evidence.

"Before I could say, 'Don't touch that,' he'd already touched it." he said.

MacDonald said he placed the jacket into a paper bag that measured about 30 centimetres by 30 centimetres.

"It barely fit in there, so I just folded it up as best as I could and put it into it," he said under direct examination by Crown prosecutor Patrick Wilbur.

Gold asked RCMP blood stain analyst Brian Wentzell if there was a "real risk of changing the evidence" because different parts of the jacket had come into contact with others.

"I guess the potential is there," replied Wentzell. He added later, however, that blood has to be in a "wet, liquid state" in order to be transferred.

MacDonald said the brown sports jacket had a dry cleaning tag stapled to the back of the collar.

He also seized a dry cleaning receipt found on top of a bureau in the master bedroom, as well as some other dry cleaning tags, found in the garbage can in the master bedroom's ensuite bathroom.

The receipt was dated July 8, 2011, at 9:08 a.m. — just hours after police told Oland he was considered a suspect in his father's death and that search warrants would be executed against him.

The defence hasn't cross-examined MacDonald yet. Wilbur asked that he be stood down and recalled later in the trial, when the Crown plans to deal with some DNA evidence.

The trial resumes on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. when the Crown plans to call a new, unidentified witness.

Tuesday, November 3:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/richard-oland-will-insurance-mcfadden-1.3301617

Richard Oland was considering changing his will and his life insurance policy just before he was killed, his long-time business associate Robert McFadden testified on Tuesday.

After his bludgeoning death in 2011, his son, Dennis Oland, and McFadden, who were co-executors of his will, became co-directors of his three businesses, the murder trial heard.

The prominent businessman's companies were worth about $36 million at the time, said McFadden, who is a chartered accountant.

A handwritten to-do list found on McFadden's desk at Richard Oland's office had "will" as the sixth item.

"It was a reoccurring event," said McFadden. "Once in a while he'd say, 'Let's revisit the will.'"

He wanted to set up a process for a family auction for "his stuff," and possibly a family trust, which offers some tax advantages, said McFadden.

Oland's existing will from 1996 was "relatively simple," he said. Oland's house in Rothesay, along with all of the furniture and fixtures, were to go to his widow.

After all of his debts and funeral were paid for, any assets realized, and the corporations, were to be transferred to a spousal trust.

Connie Oland would receive income from the residual. And if that was "insufficient," she could receive more from the capital, at the discretion of the trustees, Dennis Oland and McFadden.

Upon her death, the trust would be dissolved and the residual would be distributed equally among Dennis Oland and his two sisters, Lisa Bustin and Jacqueline Walsh.

On July 6, the day police believe Oland was killed, he had a meeting with two men who were "peddling" life insurance, hoping to sell him a new policy, said McFadden.

McFadden did not fully co-operate with the police investigation, the courtroom heard.

He gave police a statement on the morning Richard Oland's body was discovered, when he "had a sense there was foul play," but later refused to provide a DNA sample.

"I'm not going to ask you why, sir," said Veniot.

Police subsequently obtained a "cast-off" DNA sample for McFadden covertly, seizing a straw he had used at East Side Mario's on Dec. 29, 2013.

Around 2010, Dennis Oland confided in McFadden about the extramarital affair his father was having with a woman named Diana Sedlacek.

He requested that McFadden suggest to his father that word about the affair was "getting out" and "to cool it."

Oland had described the affair as a "family concern" in his voluntary statement to police.

Also from Tuesday, November 3:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-inadequate-investigation-judge-1.3301301

The presiding judge at Dennis Oland's second-degree murder trial in Saint John instructed the jurors Tuesday on evidence they have heard "suggesting the police investigation … was inadequate."

"At the end of the trial, it will be for you to determine whether evidence about the inadequacy of the police investigation alone, or along with other evidence, causes you to have a reasonable doubt about whether Dennis Oland committed the offence charged," Court of Queen's Bench Justice John Walsh said.

​"I will give you a full instruction on this as part of my charge to you at the end of this case," he added.

From Wednesday, November 4:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tor-trustee-mcfadden-affair-1.3303471?cmp=rss

Dennis Oland's defence team suggested to the jury Wednesday that his father's extramarital affair had started to sour in the months leading up to his bludgeoning death.

Richard Oland's long-time business associate Robert McFadden was being cross-examined by defence lawyer Alan Gold.

Gold asked McFadden whether Richard Oland's phone habits had started to change just prior to his death; whether he had started ignoring calls and letting them go to voicemail. McFadden confirmed he had noticed that.

Lead Crown prosecutor P.J. Veniot objected before McFadden could answer, arguing it was hearsay.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice John Walsh asked the jury to leave for a few minutes while he discussed the matter with the lawyers.

When the jurors were called back, Walsh told them questions about the affair should be put to Sedlacek directly.

She will be on the witness stand to answer them herself in the days ahead, he said.

McFadden also testified about receiving $765,000 for serving as co-executor of Oland's will and $50,000 for being a trustee of his estate.

Dennis Oland received $100,000 and $50,000 for the same roles, McFadden said.

When McFadden was asked why he received so much more money than the accused, he said they decided the amounts between themselves. He did not elaborate and was not pressed to do so.

"​Richard Oland trusted you and his son when he created his will?" asked Gold.

"Yes," replied McFadden.

Gold suggested to the court that Oland wasn't looking to cut anyone out of the will, but rather to set up a family trust to reduce the taxes payable upon his death. McFadden agreed.

The Crown has suggested money might have been a motive in the case. Veniot has described Dennis Oland as being "on the edge financially."

The accused was two months behind in making monthly interest-only payments of $1,666.67 on a $500,000 loan his father gave him while he was going through a divorce from his first wife.

But Richard Oland "wasn't mad," argued Gold. "He was perfectly willing to help his son?"

"Yes," said McFadden, noting that $1,666.67 was about the cost of a dinner on the multimillionaire's sailboat.

McFadden said he never witnessed any animosity between the father and son. Richard Oland hadn't even mentioned the money for at least six months to a year before his death, he said.

"If there was animosity, Richard could have foreclosed and taken the property," said McFadden.

"I would say perhaps he was disappointed, but he said, 'Fine, let's just document it and carry on.'"

Jin Hee Choi, who operates VIP Dry Cleaners in Rothesay with her husband, also testified on Wednesday, with the help of a Korean translator.

Choi confirmed the dry cleaning receipt seized from Dennis Oland's home on July 14, 2011, matched the store copy, and that the tag on the brown sports jacket seized from his closet matched the receipt.

Gold suggested there were no stains on the items Oland's wife, Lisa, had dropped off that day.

Choi said she didn't know.

The court previously heard Oland's receipt indicated the 19 items would be ready for pickup on July 11, but that was crossed out and "SAT," for Saturday July 9, was handwritten instead.

Gold noted VIP offers two-day, one-day and same-day service, all for the same price.

So if the Oland's were anxious to get rid of stains, they could have asked for the items right away, he suggested. Choi agreed.

Thursday, November 5:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-finances-money-1.3305286

Dennis Oland was spending about $14,000 a month more than he earned in the time leading up to the July 2011 bludgeoning death of his father, Richard Oland, his murder trial heard on Thursday.

The accused, a financial adviser, was living well beyond his means, exhausting the $27,000-limit on his credit card, $163,000-ceiling on his line of credit, and borrowing $16,000 from his employer.

But despite being deeply in debt, Oland spent more than $20,000 on taking three trips between November 2010 and April 2011, including 23 days in Hungary and Italy, 18 days in England and 12 days in Florida, a forensic accountant with the federal government testified.

Lead Crown prosecutor P.J. Veniot previously suggested money was a possible motive, describing the accused as being "on the edge financially."

He was two months behind in making monthly interest-only payments of $1,666.67 on a $500,000 loan he received from his father following a divorce from his first wife, Veniot had said.

Oland also had monthly child and spousal support payments of $4,233 to make, plus all of his other living expenses.

Oland's income from CIBC Wood Gundy was also steadily dropping, Johnson found.

He made about $180,000 in 2008, $110,000 in 2009 and $100,000 in 2010.

Between Jan. 1, 2011 and July 7, 2011 Oland was paid $34,124.

His spending ended up exceeding his income by $86,848 during that period, said Johnson.

In June, Oland requested a $16,000 advance on his pay.

His book of investments at the time was between $200,000 and $300,000, "maybe more," branch manager John Travis testified.

But in an email dated June 1, Oland told Travis he expected to be bringing in new assets in the $10 million to $20 million range from his father and another client, the Saint John courtroom heard.

On June 14, Oland sent Travis another email, saying he had only received $4,429.02 as a first payment instead of the $8,000 agreed upon, and asked him to look into the matter.

The following day, he emailed Travis again and attached his pay stub.

"I am becoming a bit nervous that this issue will not be resolved today. It's essential that the correct funds be placed in my bank account today so that I can honour my commitments that are due today," Oland wrote, citing his support payment and loan payment as examples.

In late July, Oland was told to take a leave of absence from the firm, Travis confirmed under cross-examination by defence lawyer Gary Miller.

As word spread that Oland was a suspect in his father's death, some of his clients left, the court heard.

Returning to his advisory role became "increasingly difficult," as Miller put it, and he was forced to take a retirement buyout.

After his father's death, Oland received $100,000 for serving as co-executor of his will and $50,000 as trustee for a fund set up for his widowed mother, Connie, the trial heard on Wednesday.

He also became co-director of his father's three companies, and president of the main holding company.

I wonder if he asked his dad to move his financial account to him, so he could earn the commissions on it and repay his employer....and his dad said no. (Pure wild speculation on my part.)

I wonder if he asked his dad to move his financial account to him, so he could earn the commissions on it and repay his employer....and his dad said no. (Pure wild speculation on my part.)

That theory makes sense to me. Do you think he's guilty then, Snoopster? I mostly lean toward thinking he is, but think the prosecution's case is not overly strong. The compromised investigation is very discouraging.

Friday, November 6:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-finances-wife-accountant-1.3307173

Dennis Oland was not being completely honest with his wife about his deteriorating financial situation just before his father was killed, the jury at his second-degree murder trial heard on Friday.

"I had a good pay of $8,000 but I need a bit more to cover expenses so that they do not bounce," Oland wrote to Lisa Andrik-Oland on June 16.

"Would I be able to get $1,000 from you?"

The $8,000 was actually an advance on his pay from CIBC Wood Gundy, where he worked as a financial adviser, the court heard on Thursday.

By July 6, 2011, the day police believe his father, Richard Oland, was beaten to death, the accused was spending about $14,000 more a month than he was earning, according to a forensic accountant.

The email exchanges between Oland and his wife, extracted from Oland's cellphone by police, suggest tension was mounting.

"Hi, there is no money on my Visa card anymore so don't bother trying to use it," Oland told his wife in an email on May 31, 2011.

On June 1, the same day Oland had requested a pay advance, he and his wife were exchanging emails about their credit cards being overlimit and discussing strategies to get enough money deposited on one of the Visas to make it work.

The trial adjourned early for the day and is scheduled to resume on Monday at 1:30 p.m. when defence lawyer Alan Gold will begin cross-examination.

Justice John Walsh told the jurors they will sit only the half day on Monday and Tuesday next week because the lawyers need time to work on some matters.

Unfortunately I do think he's guilty. It would be so sad though.

My B-I-L, a so-called financial advisor, convinced my F-I-L to move much of his assets to him in order to earn commissions. He ended up putting my FIL in high risk investments, causing my FIL to lose significant assets. It really was all about my BIL and his monetary needs. He was always looking for the big win and always lived beyond his means.

Since I've personally seen it in action, it isn't a far stretch to believe a similar situation in this case. ...plus the murder of course!!!...which takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Of course I don't know that this is the case here, but, it certainly isn't a stretch of the imagination.

Unfortunately I do think he's guilty. It would be so sad though.

My B-I-L, a so-called financial advisor, convinced my F-I-L to move much of his assets to him in order to earn commissions. He ended up putting my FIL in high risk investments, causing my FIL to lose significant assets. It really was all about my BIL and his monetary needs. He was always looking for the big win and always lived beyond his means.

Since I've personally seen it in action, it isn't a far stretch to believe a similar situation in this case. ...plus the murder of course!!!...which takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Of course I don't know that this is the case here, but, it certainly isn't a stretch of the imagination.

I'm with you. Your theory of Richard rejecting Dennis' request to transfer his accounts to Dennis would explain the rage in the murder.

I don't think the prosecution's case is slam dunk but the jacket, Dennis' wharf visit, and his initial interview are what make me think he is guilty. And now, the prosecution has shown plenty of motive.

Monday, November 9:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-murder-finances-defence-1.3310774

Dennis Oland's defence team suggested to his murder trial Monday that his financial problems started years before Richard Oland was killed in 2011.

Defence lawyer Alan Gold asked Johnson to take the weekend to review Oland's financial situation in 2009 and 2010 before cross-examination.

Johnson found Oland's accounts were often overdrawn, and over limit, during those years as well, the Saint John courtroom heard.

On July 6, 2010, for example, Oland's main CIBC chequing account was minus $1,553.63, his line of credit was minus $35,098.04, his Visa was minus $23,128.07, his investment account had only $650, and his RRSPs stood at $70.

Gold asked Johnson if he found any evidence indicating Oland had sought to increase his line of credit and been refused. Johnson said he did not.

But on redirect by Crown prosecutor Derek Weaver, Johnson noted in the year before the murder, Oland's line of credit debt jumped by nearly $120,000 and his Visa debt grew by nearly $9,500.

Tuesday, November 10: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-mistress-sedlacek-1.3312019

Richard Oland's mistress, Diana Sedlacek, says she tried to reach him repeatedly on the evening of July 6, 2011, the night Saint John police believe he was bludgeoned to death.

Sedlacek was growing impatient after several text messages and calls to him went unanswered, she testified Tuesday at the murder trial of Dennis Oland, 47, who is accused of killing his father.

Sedlacek testified she was at home on Darling's Island on the night in question — at least a 30-minute drive away from the crime scene, according to Google Maps.

Her then-husband, Jiri Sedlacek, was also home that night, she told the packed courtroom, where sheriff's deputies had set up extra chairs to accommodate the unusually large crowd.

Jiri Sedlacek, 87, testified he first learned of the affair about 15 months later, when his lawyer shared a media report about it with him.

Defence lawyer Alan Gold argued it was hard to believe Sedlacek didn't know about the eight-year affair and suggested it was a good motive for murder.

Sedlacek admitted he "probably" would have been "very upset" if he had known his wife of 24 years was cheating on him, but insisted he didn't even suspect.

He was questioned twice by Saint John police and ruled out as a suspect.

Lead Crown prosecutor P.J. Veniot asked Diana Sedlacek about her relationship with the older Oland.

Sedlacek, who was a Saint John real estate agent, said it started shortly after they met. They would get together about three times a week, including "fairly frequently" at his uptown office.

"Often after church on Sunday," she said. "He was very interested in wanting to share his week with me, show me what he had done,… ask me questions about what he should do."

They also travelled together "many times," and were planning a trip to Portland, Maine, just before his death, she said.

But by 6:44 p.m., she believed he had turned off his cellphone, which the court has heard was the only item that was missing from the crime scene and was never recovered.

"I have a lot of men who would [love] 2 b with me!!!!!" Sedlacek had texted from her Darlings Island home. "Answer the damn phone! I [will] call at your house."

The tone of her messages changed, however, when she still couldn't reach him later the next morning. She was "texting, calling, praying," she said.

During a voluntary police statement on July 7, when Oland was asked if he could think of anyone else who would "have an interest" in killing his father, his first response was, "Someone who wanted $20 out of a wallet to buy drugs? Um … this is reaching, a vindictive ex-girlfriend?"

"The only person that comes to mind is this supposed girlfriend," said Oland, describing Sedlacek as being known as a Dragon Lady and "fatal attraction type of person."

The defence surprised the court by choosing not to cross-examine Sedlacek on Tuesday afternoon.

The trial is on recess until Monday. Judge John Walsh reassured the jury it is running on schedule and should wrap up by Dec. 18.

More about the jacket - Monday, November 16:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-jacket-blood-1.3320652

The forensics officer who handled the seizure of Dennis Oland's blood-stained brown sports jacket from his home in 2011 says "it could have been done better."

Saint John Police Force Const. David MacDonald made the statement on Monday during cross-examination by defence lawyer Alan Gold at Oland's second-degree murder trial.

Gold asked MacDonald whether it had occurred to him that folding the jacket up would cause different areas of the jacket to touch and might cause evidence to migrate from one area to another.

MacDonald, who now works in patrol, said it did not occur to him at the time. But he noted it was a "dry exhibit."

RCMP bloodstain expert Sgt. Brian Wentzell previously testified that blood has to be in "wet, liquid state" in order to be transferred.

Still, MacDonald said if he had to do it again, he would probably put the jacket in a larger bag.

Gold went over the test results of several other items seized from Oland's home, including clothing and shoes, the lint trap from his dryer and garbage bags found in the basement, which came back negative for blood.

Similarly, there was no trace evidence found in Oland's Volkswagen Golf that "in any way advanced any case against" him, or in or on a red reusable Sobeys Compliments grocery bag bag seized from the trunk "that in any way connected Dennis Oland to this homicide," said Gold. MacDonald agreed.

Tests of a sailboat at the yacht club in Millidgeville, a camp log book police believe was at the crime scene, swabs of the crime scene, and hairs and fibre samples taken during the autopsy also failed to produce "fruitful" results, said Gold.

Tuesday, November 17:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-cell-rothesay-1.3322561

The last communication received by Richard Oland's missing cellphone was a text message from his mistress at 6:44 p.m. on the night police believe he was killed in his Saint John office, and it pinged off a cell tower in Rothesay, Dennis Oland's murder trial heard on Tuesday.

The prominent businessman's iPhone 4 had been connected to his office computer up until 4:44 p.m. on the night in question, July 6, 2011, the Court of Queen's Bench has heard.

Up until then, it had been pinging off the nearby cell tower at 1 Germain St., in Saint John, Sylvie Gill, an investigator with Rogers Communications, testified.

The iPhone was the only item that went missing from the crime scene, while the multimillionaire's wallet, Rolex watch and the keys to his BMW were left untouched.

Oland told police he went to visit his father around 5:30 p.m. to discuss family history and left around 6:30 p.m. — although there is a time stamped security video of him walking across the street from his father's office at 6:12 p.m.

Oland said he drove home to Rothesay, stopping briefly at Renforth Wharf on his way to see if his children were there swimming.

The wharf is located near the Rothesay tower his father's cellphone pinged off.

Two witnesses have described seeing Oland stopping near the wharf to pick something up off the ground, walking to the end of the wharf, sitting down, putting the item he had picked up in a reusable grocery bag he was carrying and then walking briskly back to his car and driving away.

The court has not yet heard whether the fact that message was delivered to Oland's cellphone from the Rothesay tower means his cell was in the Rothesay area at that time, or if there is another explanation.

Gill was not cross-examined by the defence on Tuesday because much of the day was spent dealing with legal issues between them and the Crown. Those discussions occurred without the jury present and cannot be reported.

Tuesday, November 17:

<snip> stopping near the wharf to pick something up off the ground, walking to the end of the wharf, sitting down, putting the item he had picked up in a reusable grocery bag <snip>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-cell-rothesay-1.3322561

Am I dense? (don't answer that) ....But every time I read about him going to the dock, I really don't know what they are implying he picked up and put in the bag. Is it just that they are suggesting that when he sat on the end of the dock he surreptitiously dumped his dad's iPhone? Does it have anything to do with what he picked up, or just the fact that he was there?

Am I dense? (don't answer that) ....But every time I read about him going to the dock, I really don't know what they are implying he picked up and put in the bag. Is it just that they are suggesting that when he sat on the end of the dock he surreptitiously dumped his dad's iPhone? Does it have anything to do with what he picked up, or just the fact that he was there?

I think it's both things, Snoopster - the prosecution is showing he was at the wharf (instead of hurrying home to his sick wife) and that his behaviour at the wharf wasn't to quickly look for kids and leave - he was there with a specific purpose that involved some object, (which we know was most likely Richard's phone).
IMO

Thanks, Unscripted. From the article you linked:

A cellphone network expert maintains it's "more likely" Richard Oland's missing iPhone 4 was near the Rothesay cell tower that transmitted the last message his phone received than any other tower.

Joseph Sadoun was cross-examined Thursday by Dennis Oland's defence lawyer Alan Gold about his previous statement to the Crown.

Sadoun had said the chances of a cellphone in uptown Saint John communicating with a cell tower in Rothesay, which is about a 20-minute drive away were "minimal," because there are at least four closer towers that would provide stronger signals.

Gold asked whether the Rothesay tower would be strong enough to send a signal 25 kilometres, more than enough to reach Richard Oland's office on Canterbury Street.

Sadoun said it was possible, if it was flat terrain.

Gold also submitted the boundaries of cell towers are not rigid. The strength of a signal "waxes and wanes" every second and so-called neighbour towers may take over during peak periods when there is a heavy volume of calls or during technical problems, he said.

So a phone that connected with the Rothesay tower could be located in the primary coverage area of that tower, which is depicted in pink in a colour-coded map created by Sadoun, or in any other coloured area representing the so-called neighbour towers, argued Gold.

Gold noted the software-generated predictions Sadoun provided regarding which towers would respond to tests calls conducted by lead investigator Const. Stephen Davidson were wrong in some cases.

For example, Sadoun's analysis showed the 15 calls made from Renforth Wharf would connect with the Rothesay tower. But they all used a tower on Mount Champlain, near Welsford, instead.

Three of the 41 calls made from the uptown Saint John area also failed to connect with the predicted tower, the courtroom heard.

But none of the 41 went to the tower in Rothesay, according to Sadoun's 21-page report.

The Crown and defence entered three agreed statements of fact into evidence on Thursday, including one regarding the cellphone records for Dennis Oland.
The three agreed statements of fact means the five witnesses involved no longer need to testify.

As a result, the trial won't have to sit on Friday, as scheduled, Justice John Walsh told the jurors.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-cell-rothesay-1.3326031

Anyone else watch the police interview ?? I did , pretty long .... 2 1/2 hours .... Dennis sure seemed relaxed and easy going , answered all the questions without being evasive .... hard to tell just from a video but he does not have guilt written all over him.

Toward the end he got all messed up about explaining why he came and left and then came back . He said he arrived around 5:15 ish to drop off some genealogy info for his dad , then realized he left part of it in his office , went back to get it and realized his office would be closed by then , so came back and gave his dad what he had.

I found the genealogy part quite interesting and made sense why they were so involved in it , turns out one of the ancestors had an "illegitimate" child and nobody knew who the father was .... but Dennis had found an old Will written by the father that stated it was his son , pretty good sleuthing if you ask me. It was the Will information he forgot to bring along with the other genealogy papers.

Anyway , I wouldn't want to be on that Jury , some things (jacket) look suspicious but the blunders during the police investigation could sow plenty of seeds of doubt. Like I said , glad I'm not on the jury

Police interview http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-statement-1.3281699

Actually, a number of things Dennis said during the interview raised red flags for me. When I have time I'll watch again and post some quotes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaliaDelilah
Back