Canada - Scott Andrew Rosen, 52, lawyer, Hit & Run homicide, Toronto (Mt Pleasant/Eglinton) 18 Dec. 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Toronto lawyer slain in hit-and-run | Toronto Sun
''A Toronto lawyer killed in a hit-and-run late Friday afternoon is now believed to have been murdered.

Scott Andrew Rosen was struck by a U-Haul rental vehicle and left for dead in a parking garage near Eglinton Ave. E. and Mount Pleasant Rd.''

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/north-york-hit-and-run-1.5848818

''A man who died after being struck by a U-Haul vehicle in a parking garage in midtown Friday evening has been identified as Scott Andrew Rosen, 52, Toronto police say.

The homicide unit has taken over investigation, according to a new release issued by Toronto police on Saturday.

At around 5:50 p.m., officers received reports of a man hit in a parking garage at Mount Pleasant Road and Eglinton Avenue East, and that the driver fled the scene.''

''The homicide unit has taken over the investigation and investigators would like to speak to anyone who has information that may assist with this investigation, including dash cam video and security surveillance images.

Police say anyone with information should contact 416-808-7400 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).''

Last edited:
rbbm.
Eglinton-Mt Pleasant parking ramp fatal now called murder
''In a release at 9 a.m. Saturday, the new interpretation of this event as homicide is set out and there is no reference to the previous notion of a hit and run accident. The victim is named as Scott Andrew Rosen, 52, of Toronto. The scene is opposite Eglinton Public School a few feet west of Mt. Pleasant.''
Deadly Toronto hit-and-run deemed homicide; police identify victim

CTV News Toronto
''On Saturday, investigators identified the victim to be Toronto resident Scott Andrew Rosen and deemed his death to be a homicide.''

image.jpeg

Noting..
https://www.rosenbarristers.com/about
''Scott Rosen is a highly experienced commercial litigator and trial counsel, with more than 25 years experience acting as counsel in all manner of commercial disputes. Scott has significant experience in shareholder disputes, oppression remedy litigation, real estate and commercial lease disputes, employment law and receivership/insolvency. Scott has successfully conducted many trials in the Superior Court of Justice, and is also an experienced appellate counsel, having appeared numerous times in the Court of Appeal and the Divisional Court. He has also acted as counsel in many mediation and arbitration proceedings. Scott frequently acts as litigation counsel to solicitors who confidently refer their business clients to Scott for litigation matters. Scott also carries on a practice as a mediator and arbitrator, and focuses on efficiently and effectively resolving and adjudicating commercial disputes''

I wonder how they can ascertain it was a murder rather than a hit and run? A U-haul rental truck should be fairly easy to track down unless it was stolen.

I found this on Wikipedia (bbm) :

“Canada
The Criminal Code does not have a specific offence for vehicular homicide, but has a series of provisions covering driving offences causing death,[2] among them:

• dangerous driving causing death
  • criminal negligence causing death
  • failure to stop for police causing death
  • street racing causing death
  • impaired driving causing death
  • hit and run driving causing death

The maximum penalty for dangerous driving causing death, absent any of the remaining 5 elements mentioned above, is 14 years' imprisonment.[3] The maximum penalty is otherwise life imprisonment. Anyone sentenced to life imprisonment for a Criminal Code driving offence is eligible to apply for parole after serving 7 years, but there is no guarantee of parole.”

Vehicular homicide - Wikipedia

I wonder how they can ascertain it was a murder rather than a hit and run? A U-haul rental truck should be fairly easy to track down unless it was stolen.

How horribly tragic. I’d guess there’d be CCTV at the garage entrance, if not within. If the driver of the Uhaul wasn’t in the parkade for any other purpose that’d be a indication of intent. And not remaining on the scene or coming forward would be another sign it was no accident. Another possibility, the victim was hit by the Uhaul more than once.

I agree, it wouldn’t surprise me either if the Uhaul was stolen or it was rented with fraudulent ID.

I hope the driver is found soon. I can only imagine how traumatic his sudden death must be for his family, associates, clients and all who knew him.

JMO

I followed the alerts from TPS on Twitter. The driver had to have known he hit the pedestrian, and still chose to leave him = homicide, IMO. (Passenger-side damage to vehicle.)

“COLLISION: Mount Pleasant Rd & Eglinton Ave E - reports that a male pedestrian has been struck in a parking garage - police responding - reports that the driver/vehicle fled the scene - reports that injuries to the pedestrian are serious - will update #GO2381547 ^al”
https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1340067402520944640?s=20

“COLLISION: (UPDATE) Mount Pleasant Rd & Eglinton Ave E - police o/s - officers informed that the driver/vehicle fled in a white U-Haul van or pick truck, with damage to the passenger side of the vehicle - vehicle was last seen E/B on Eglinton Ave E - expect delays #GO2381547 ^al”
https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1340071146788667392?s=20

“COLLISION: (UPDATE) Mount Pleasant Rd & Eglinton Ave E - police o/s - officers located the injured adult male pedestrian -
@TorontoMedics
o/s - male pedestrian has succumbed to his injuries, and pronounced deceased o/s - driver/vehicle fled the scene - will update #GO238154
https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1340068286692790274?s=20

I cannot post the link as it is not a MSM source, but someone filmed the many first responders that responded to the scene.

That area outside the garage was very busy with traffic and pedestrians. I’m hoping there are witnesses.

ETA: I bolded part of the last tweet. It may just be poor wording, but they said they ‘located’ the pedestrian after first tweeting about the collision.

2nd ETA: people are tweeting about seeing the damaged UHAUL.

Last edited:
I followed the alerts from TPS on Twitter. The driver had to have known he hit the pedestrian, and still chose to leave him = homicide, IMO. (Passenger-side damage to vehicle.)

“COLLISION: Mount Pleasant Rd & Eglinton Ave E - reports that a male pedestrian has been struck in a parking garage - police responding - reports that the driver/vehicle fled the scene - reports that injuries to the pedestrian are serious - will update #GO2381547 ^al”
https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1340067402520944640?s=20

“COLLISION: (UPDATE) Mount Pleasant Rd & Eglinton Ave E - police o/s - officers informed that the driver/vehicle fled in a white U-Haul van or pick truck, with damage to the passenger side of the vehicle - vehicle was last seen E/B on Eglinton Ave E - expect delays #GO2381547 ^al”
https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1340071146788667392?s=20

“COLLISION: (UPDATE) Mount Pleasant Rd & Eglinton Ave E - police o/s - officers located the injured adult male pedestrian -
@TorontoMedics
o/s - male pedestrian has succumbed to his injuries, and pronounced deceased o/s - driver/vehicle fled the scene - will update #GO238154
https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1340068286692790274?s=20

I cannot post the link as it is not a MSM source, but someone filmed the many first responders that responded to the scene.

That area outside the garage was very busy with traffic and pedestrians. I’m hoping there are witnesses.

ETA: I bolded part of the last tweet. It may just be poor wording, but they said they ‘located’ the pedestrian after first tweeting about the collision.

2nd ETA: people are tweeting about seeing the damaged UHAUL.

I was wrong about why they’re treating this as a homicide:

This hit-and-run case is being treated as a homicide because of information gathered at the scene, Toronto police media relations officer Edward Parks said.

“There’s (an) act or actions based on the individuals that were involved that may be possibly intentional,” Parks told the Star. “For that reason, we investigate it as a homicide.”
Homicide officers take over investigation of hit-and-run at Mount Pleasant and Eglinton

IF that is an office building, I believe it is, why would the victim be on the ramp?? The elevator should take him to the parking garage and you drive out the ramp.

Was he running up the ramp to get away from the truck and its occupants?

IF that is an office building, I believe it is, why would the victim be on the ramp?? The elevator should take him to the parking garage and you drive out the ramp.

Was he running up the ramp to get away from the truck and its occupants?

Might’ve been or he could’ve been drug a short distance underneath the vehicle and that’s the ramp where it exited.

This hit-and-run case is being treated as a homicide because of information gathered at the scene, Toronto police media relations officer Edward Parks said.

“There’s (an) act or actions based on the individuals that were involved that may be possibly intentional,” Parks told the Star. “For that reason, we investigate it as a homicide.”
Homicide officers take over investigation of hit-and-run at Mount Pleasant and Eglinton
RSBM

Yeah, dangerous driving causing death is very different than homicide from a legal point of view.

We have a case still ongoing where I live, the vehicle crossed over the oncoming lane and ran, from behind, straight into a person walking in the same direction as the vehicle. Certainly looks like homicide, but that wasn't the charge. The driver was affected by hard drugs, either directly having consumed it, or being in withdrawl. The person has pled guilty, so the trial was waived, and he is awaiting sentencing. I expect possibly 4 or 5 years, max, given other cases.

The attitude seems to be that vehicles kill people, drivers don't.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahearn
Back