Canada - Scott Andrew Rosen, 52, lawyer, Hit & Run homicide, Toronto (Mt Pleasant/Eglinton) 18 Dec. 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It appears SR made changes in his practise at some point after 2018 as he was with Grinhaus Law Firm at present. Nothing really unusual about that, just saying.

This was a partnership. I’m quite sure it’s the same SR as his practise experience is identical.
Rosen Fromstein LLP- About Scott Rosen and Bryan Fromstein

I clicked on the Rosen Fromstein LLP site, rflaw.ca, and all I got was one of those domain hasn't been connected to a website yet errors. What type of professional leaves such loose threads hanging off first impressions? Going to that website does not make me want to hire his 'firm.' Presentation is everything, just ask Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer, Marie Heinen.

ETA: As already noted earlier in the thread, he's also got his own solo biz, Rosen Barristers, with a functioning, albeit skeletal website: rosenbarristers.com It's only one lawyer, him, so why barristerS? Was he planning on hiring a few others?

Maybe something was happening with him in the last few years, which would explain this fragmented approach to career presentation?

Agree...and IMO,Toronto PD should DEFINITELY attempt to track down the person/people who recently left SR negative reviews online:

I found 13 reviews for Scott Rosen on LawyerRatingz.com

It's odd that after 2018, the reviews went from mostly smiley faces and a few sad to all sad.

Last edited:
Agree...and IMO,Toronto PD should DEFINITELY attempt to track down the person/people who recently left SR negative reviews online:

I found 13 reviews for Scott Rosen on LawyerRatingz.com
IMO those last 3 reviews, and maybe the one before, were all posted by the same person, who appears to have a grievance.

I think if this was murder, in Toronto my bias is that it's more likely to be motivated by mental illness, rather than being part of business activities. Outside of some known mob families, purely business relationships in Toronto haven't, so far as we know, resulted in murder as they do in Mexico, or on TV.

I clicked on the Rosen Fromstein LLP site, rflaw.ca, and all I got was one of those domain hasn't been connected to a website yet errors. What type of professional leaves such loose threads hanging off first impressions? Going to that website does not make me want to hire his 'firm.' Presentation is everything, just ask Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer, Marie Heinen.

ETA: As already noted earlier in the thread, he's also got his own solo biz, Rosen Barristers, with a functioning, albeit skeletal website: rosenbarristers.com It's only one lawyer, him, so why barristerS? Was he planning on hiring a few others?

Maybe something was happening with him in the last few years, which would explain this fragmented approach to career presentation?

It's odd that after 2018, the reviews went from mostly smiley faces and a few sad to all sad.

I'm not sure that all lawyers need or want to achieve a high level of public attention, like a celebrity lawyer does.

IMO, in commercial law, clients want these cases to be discrete. They want to resolve the issue without going to court. IMO, a lawyer like that operates primarily through word of mouth, not through online marketing. He does have a web presence so that people can verify he's legit, and contact him.

Whether the victim was a respected lawyer is so far unknown, but I don't think anything can be determined by his website.

The web page about him and the other lawyer, IMO was probably created by that junior lawyer. It seems to me the junior lawyer is using the more established name of Scott Rosen to attract people to the webpage, and then is promoting his own (limited) biography and experience. It doesn't have any official contact information or anything, it does seem very odd. But if it was never owned by Scott Rosen, he wouldn't be able to take it down.

Canlii only has recorded two court hearings this year involving SR but of course everything has been shut down or backlogged for much of the time due to COVID-19. I’d not be shocked if a disgruntled client with mental health issues took his rage out on his lawyer due to delays the lawyer has absolutely no control over.

Canadian Legal Information Institute | CanLII

IMO those last 3 reviews, and maybe the one before, were all posted by the same person, who appears to have a grievance.

I think if this was murder, in Toronto my bias is that it's more likely to be motivated by mental illness, rather than being part of business activities. Outside of some known mob families, purely business relationships in Toronto haven't, so far as we know, resulted in murder as they do in Mexico, or on TV.

I agree, I also wonder if murder-for-hire comes from movies or TV shows because it’s very uncommon throughout Canada.

I’ve attempted to search for Canadian crime convictions that were committed by hired assassins and came up empty. Certainly there’s that sort of involvement with those who are directly affiliated with gangs, inter-gang wars and other disputes within gangs and such.

But otherwise I suspect the reason hiring a hit is uncommon is because a potential assassinator can’t possibly distinguish between a possible “client” or an undercover police officer. I do believe anyone who’s so utterly despicable as to hire someone to kill is just as capable of doing it themselves, especially when it involves viciously ramming a vehicle into an innocent, unsuspecting victim in an underground parkade.

JMO

I agree, I also wonder if murder-for-hire comes from movies or TV shows because it’s very uncommon throughout Canada.

I’ve attempted to search for Canadian crime convictions that were committed by hired assassins and came up empty. Certainly there’s that sort of involvement with those who are directly affiliated with gangs, inter-gang wars and other disputes within gangs and such.

But otherwise I suspect the reason hiring a hit is uncommon is because a potential assassinator can’t possibly distinguish between a possible “client” or an undercover police officer. I do believe anyone who’s so utterly despicable as to hire someone to kill is just as capable of doing it themselves, especially when it involves viciously ramming a vehicle into an innocent, unsuspecting victim in an underground parkade.

JMO

We have a VI on another thread who took a polygraph on the Fifth Estate to prove he ‘arranged a hit’. Hopefully he’ll drop by here to share his expertise.

There have been a few (non-gang, mafia ect) murder for hire cases in Toronto...
This is the Ws thread for one of them (husband arrested, LE still looking for "hit man")
Canada - Suspect posing as delivery man shot woman with crossbow, Toronto (Mississauga), Nov. 2018

Ontario woman accused of trying to hire hitman to kill estranged husband
''A Richmond Hill, Ont. woman accused of unwittingly approaching an undercover cop in an alleged attempt to hire someone to kill her husband made an appearance in court Tuesday.''

''Police allege Ray believed she was paying a hitman to kill her 63-year-old husband, and has been charged with counselling to commit first-degree murder.''

Mississauga’s Most Notorious Murder Case - Peter Demeter
''At the end of the trial, the jury decided that Demeter was, indeed, guilty of ordering a hit on his wife and he was sentenced to life in prison.''

I'm not sure that all lawyers need or want to achieve a high level of public attention, like a celebrity lawyer does.

IMO, in commercial law, clients want these cases to be discrete. They want to resolve the issue without going to court. IMO, a lawyer like that operates primarily through word of mouth, not through online marketing. He does have a web presence so that people can verify he's legit, and contact him.

Whether the victim was a respected lawyer is so far unknown, but I don't think anything can be determined by his website.

The web page about him and the other lawyer, IMO was probably created by that junior lawyer. It seems to me the junior lawyer is using the more established name of Scott Rosen to attract people to the webpage, and then is promoting his own (limited) biography and experience. It doesn't have any official contact information or anything, it does seem very odd. But if it was never owned by Scott Rosen, he wouldn't be able to take it down.

The point was that his online presence is very unprofessional and confusing, which is odd for somebody who deals with commercial litigation involving millions of dollars. Did he have a solo practice under 'Rosen BarristerS', was he working with that junior, or was he part of the other firm or all of the above? Corporate reps are going to assess potential lawyers by including a quick check on their online footprint. Surely somebody who reps such important clients can pay a web designer to create a decent site.

We have a VI on another thread who took a polygraph on the Fifth Estate to prove he ‘arranged a hit’. Hopefully he’ll drop by here to share his expertise.

Oh right, hearing of his expertise would be very fascinating. IIRC something about he was a cocaine addict and was personally acquainted with a gang member who would’ve agreed to do the hit had his cousin not backed out.

There have been a few (non-gang, mafia ect) murder for hire cases in Toronto...
This is the Ws thread for one of them (husband arrested, LE still looking for "hit man")
Canada - Suspect posing as delivery man shot woman with crossbow, Toronto (Mississauga), Nov. 2018

Ontario woman accused of trying to hire hitman to kill estranged husband
''A Richmond Hill, Ont. woman accused of unwittingly approaching an undercover cop in an alleged attempt to hire someone to kill her husband made an appearance in court Tuesday.''

''Police allege Ray believed she was paying a hitman to kill her 63-year-old husband, and has been charged with counselling to commit first-degree murder.''

Mississauga’s Most Notorious Murder Case - Peter Demeter
''At the end of the trial, the jury decided that Demeter was, indeed, guilty of ordering a hit on his wife and he was sentenced to life in prison.''

Another failed hit in Scarborough involving an undercover cop.
'Misogynist' who plotted to kill wife and her lawyer jailed 9 years | Toronto Sun

Dec 21 2020 rbbm.
Lawyer struck and killed by U-Haul in Midtown parking garage was victim of 'targeted' homicide: police
''A commercial litigator who was struck and killed by a U-Haul truck in an underground parking garage in Midtown Toronto on Friday evening was the victim of a “targeted” homicide, Toronto police say.

According to investigators, 52-year-old Scott Rosen had finished work for the day at his law firm in the area of Eglinton Avenue and Mount Pleasant Road at around 5:30 p.m. when he was struck by the driver of a rented U-Haul truck in the building’s underground parking garage.''

''Det.-Sgt. Ted Lioumanis told reporters Monday that the suspect had been waiting for Rosen in the parking garage for some time before the homicide.

The U-Haul was recovered later that night in the area of Bathurst and Dundas streets but police have not yet determined who was driving the vehicle.''

''He said investigators have not yet determined a motive for the deadly attack.''

“The family is obviously distraught, very distraught,” the detective said. “I couldn't imagine what they are going through at this time, especially the time of year right now, leading up to Christmas.”

rbbm.
Police say lawyer struck and killed by U-Haul in Toronto parking garage was victim of 'targeted' homicide
“We had and we still continue to have witnesses coming forward. We've got many, many businesses that have come forward with their video.”

He said investigators have not yet determined a motive for the deadly attack.

“We will look at everything, we will look at any current or past dealings that he may have had,” Lioumanis said.

“It is very disturbing to say the least. From my understanding, Mr. Rosen was a very good lawyer. Very on the up and up. I was advised that he took pride in his work.”

He added that so far, police have not found evidence to suggest that the victim received any threats prior to the murder.''

Dec 21 2020 rbbm.
Lawyer struck and killed by U-Haul in Midtown parking garage was victim of 'targeted' homicide: police
''A commercial litigator who was struck and killed by a U-Haul truck in an underground parking garage in Midtown Toronto on Friday evening was the victim of a “targeted” homicide, Toronto police say.

According to investigators, 52-year-old Scott Rosen had finished work for the day at his law firm in the area of Eglinton Avenue and Mount Pleasant Road at around 5:30 p.m. when he was struck by the driver of a rented U-Haul truck in the building’s underground parking garage.''

''Det.-Sgt. Ted Lioumanis told reporters Monday that the suspect had been waiting for Rosen in the parking garage for some time before the homicide.

The U-Haul was recovered later that night in the area of Bathurst and Dundas streets but police have not yet determined who was driving the vehicle.''

''He said investigators have not yet determined a motive for the deadly attack.''

“The family is obviously distraught, very distraught,” the detective said. “I couldn't imagine what they are going through at this time, especially the time of year right now, leading up to Christmas.”

I thought of Minassian when I first heard a U-Haul was used. :(. How brutal.

I rented a car this past spring during lockdown because my car was was being serviced. I wore a mask through the whole transaction.

They only ran my credit card and looked at my license. The only thing they checked was that my card and license had the same name.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...nd-parking-garage-targeted-homicide-1.5851056
''According to Lioumanis, the vehicle may have travelled southbound on Brownlow Avenue after the homicide. Police believe the driver made his or her way to Chaplin Crescent at one point.

The U-Haul pickup truck was last seen southbound on Bathurst Street at St. Clair Avenue West. Police cannot say whether a man or woman was driving the vehicle.

Police have obtained "quite a bit" of surveillance camera video from nearby businesses, he added.

According to an obituary published on Monday in the Montreal Gazette, Rosen is described as a "truly wonderful son, father, partner in life, brother and uncle."

His family says in the obituary: "Scott has been taken from us in a way we cannot fathom, but he will continue to live on in his children, for he taught them well and he will forever remain in our hearts and thoughts."

Anyone with information is urged to call police at (416) 808-7400, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).''

Admittedly, when I saw commercial litigator, I wondered if there was a Sherman family link.
Ditto, posted this link to that thread, just in case.
Never a nice time to kill people, but to do it around the Hanukkah and Christmas holidays, is exceptionally cruel, imo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mili
Back