Canada - Sentry killed in War Memorial shooting, Ottawa, 22 Oct 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Canadian Muslims want nothing to do with the lunatic that shot the unarmed soldier at the Cenotaph. The murder had nothing to do with religion. It was the act of an aimless, criminally inclined, homeless, drug addict with delusional thinking.

"Montreal Muslim says Ottawa, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu attacks "not in my name"

Ali Chebli's response to this week's attacks has been seen almost 800,000 times on Facebook
One Quebec Muslim teenager’s message has gone viral after he posted a photo of himself holding a sign that reads “pas en mon nom” — “not in my name” — in response to this week’s killing of two soldiers in separate attacks in Ottawa and St-Jean-sur-Richelieu."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ur-richelieu-attacks-not-in-my-name-1.2813080

What Canada gained through this senseless act is that Parliament Hill security has weaknesses. That should change, regardless the origin of the threat. Canada has lost her innocence, in a sense, but whatever happens will be well thought out with a view to minimizing the impact.

Don't know anything about cleansing FB or what effect that would have overall. Also cannot see Canada needs to give up hard won rights over a drug addict/lunatic.

That would be insane in my opinion.

Those that want to tell me I need to give up hard won rights should spend time in a country that has none. We'll see what is said after that experience. Jmo.

Don't know anything about cleansing FB or what effect that would have overall. Also cannot see Canada needs to give up hard won rights over a drug addict/lunatic.

Those that want to tell me I need to give up hard won rights should spend time in a country that has none. We'll see what is said after that experience. Jmo.

The military has published Instructional Design pieces explaining exactly how to add privacy to social media. That's new!

The overall effect of cleansing social media of references to the military, and increasing privacy levels on social media accounts, is that military personnel will be more difficult to recognize and identify. This will make it safer for military personnel and their families. I think this is a good thing. There's no good reason for people to make their personal lives so accessible to strangers.

I believe most military wives look out for each other but now facebook can make them vulnerable. So this latest announcement is just making people aware of their vulnerability because so much can be hacked. This is an era of oversharing and depending on a person's age they may unwittingly may put other people including children at risk JMHO

I am confused by conflicting reports...first that CTV article says he was on the no fly list. This is the first time I have heard mention of this. Secondly, the family that sold him the car has explained their encounter with him yet an article a few pages back states the car belonged to a local Islamic center....parts of this story stink.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/polit...n-attack-for-one-day-before-paying-650-for-it

'"“He was like, can I please just use the car for one day? Like, I really need to do something. Just leave the plates on because if you take them off I can’t really use the car. By tomorrow, I’ll bring the plates back,” she said Zehaf-Bibeau pleaded.

Her father would not agree but Zehaf-Bibeau bought the car, anyway, paying $650 in cash. Her father signed over the ownership, removed his plates and left the car with Zehaf-Bibeau.''

What is amazing is that he was driving around with no plates - drove to Tremblant ((two hours away)) and was not stopped!

As posted previously, the drug addict/lunatic referred to has not yet been ruled out as having ties to terrorism.

What hard won rights would Canadians would have to give up? I haven't seen any "sweeping powers" being suggested that would violate our Charter of Rights and Freedoms that we all enjoy ... other than those that already exist under Canada's 1988 Emergencies Act (which replaced the 1914 War Measures Act) whereby some civil liberties could be suspended in the event of a crisis:

http://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/prb0114-e.htm

The first peacetime invocation of the War Measures Act was 44 years ago in 1970. (As a matter of interest, the RCMP opposed the imposition of the Act.) When the extreme situation no longer was a threat, Canada went back to life as usual, living with the rights and privileges they previously enjoyed.

Under the new 1988 Emergencies Act, a declaration of an emergency by the Cabinet must be reviewed by Parliament, and any laws of a temporary nature issued under the Act cannot be in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Also, there is a provision included regarding compensation for those who may suffer damages due to the application of the Act.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-4.5/index.html

I did see a BBC article published a couple of days ago about the 'terrorism debate' in Canada, which I found quite interesting, that said Canada brought in an Anti-Terrorism Act in 2001 following 9/11. The article also speaks of previous cases of political violence, among other things.

"Soon the parliamentarians who barricaded themselves in offices and meeting rooms during his rampage will vote on "much strengthened" surveillance and detention powers promised by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in the aftermath of the shooting.

As in other Western nations following the attacks of 11 September 2001, Canadian society witnessed fierce debates about the power and scope of the security services, with supporters of new legislation insisting it was necessary to safeguard the public and critics complaining that it trampled on civil liberties.

The Anti-Terrorism Act, passed by the Canadian parliament in December 2001, introduced new powers and penalties designed, in part, to prevent 9/11-style attacks.

It is possible that the most recent violence will again encourage some people "to err more on the side of collective safety", suggests Prof Christian Leuprecht, a security expert at the Royal Military College of Canada. Others will conclude the balance already has been tipped far enough against fundamental freedoms."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29753399

And apparently, Canada already collects metadata at times within the country ... the Harper govt says it is legal to do so ... but this article (from Feb 2014) only talks about it having been collected at airports on occasion.

"Last Friday, Canada got its first major taste of Snowden’s trove of surveillance files when it was revealed through the CBC that CSEC—Canada’s NSA—ran a metadata collection program at a major Canadian airport in 2012.

Meanwhile Stephen Rigby, Canada’s National Security Advisor, claims metadata: “does not represent a compromise of private communications by Canadians. It’s data about data and so it is well within the parameters of CSEC’s operations.”

John Forster, the head of CSEC, described the WiFi program in his own words at a Senate hearing yesterday: “This exercise involved a snapshot of historic metadata collected from the global internet. There was no data collected through any monitoring of the operations of any airport. Just a part of our normal global collection.”

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-harper-government-insists-its-legal-to-collect-metadata

Interesting article about a fellow who picked Bibeau up September 23 hitchhiking around Chilliwack, BC and dropped him off at a shelter in Calgary:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/10/24/22029646.html

For Bekkering, alarm bells sounded when he says Michael told him he prayed at the Downtown 8th and 8th Islamic centre in Calgary. He recognized it as the same prayer room that had been in the news as the base for two Canadian coverts who went to fight for ISIS overseas.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/wo...ted-go-saudi-arabia-not-syria-mother-20141026

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said on Thursday that Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, had travelled to Ottawa from Vancouver to try to obtain a passport and intended to travel to Syria, saying that his mother, Susan Bibeau, had revealed that information in an interview.

But Bibeau told Postmedia, which publishes many major Canadian newspapers, that she had said her son intended to travel to Saudi Arabia, not Syria.

??

Her first ''statement'' that was published was poorly composed and I had trouble believing a woman of her educational background could have composed it. There are sharp contrasts between her first, second and now this final statement in terms of writing style. MOO

But then there is this .... :scared: ..... published in July 2014.

Ubaida believes that IS will leave Syria at intervals, within a year from now, will give up its areas of influence and restrict its forces to the oil regions. He pointed out that IS will head to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, where it has started to establish cells. He also indicated that there are cells affiliated to IS in Qassim, Khamis Mushayt, Dammam and Hofuf. The latter explained that two persons, one from al-Maghamisi family and the other known as al-Matiri, are responsible for the distribution of these cells and for their formation to fulfill their mission when needed.

Explaining why IS will head to Saudi Arabia, Ubaida indicated, “A large number of IS fighters are Saudis who are currently exerting a lot of pressure to drag IS to Riyadh and are preparing the ground for this step. Ubaida confirmed that it will not be long before IS emerges in Najd, considering that the Prophet Muhammad said, “In that place shall rise the devil's horn.”

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/sec...pposition-is-saudi-arabia.html##ixzz3HEM46H1Q

It's very easy to lose Libyan citizenship

Uncertain whether Bibeau's father was Canadian citizen, or refugee

Anyhoo -- doubt whether the shooter could be considered Libyan even by descent according to this

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_LIBYA.html

interestingly conversion to a religion other than Islam will cause you to lose citizenship too
as well as living outside of Libya for two years

normally a person could claim citizenship through father (Libyan) but looks like his father was out of Libya for more than two years

Article on why Bibeau was denied passport:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e-attack/ar-BBaXvgl+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

“His general demeanor was not appropriate just judging from the way he was dressed, the way he was behaving, his body language was not appropriate. That led … them to doubt his character – his motivations,” said first secretary Yousef Furgani through a translator. “Whenever people come to the embassy they try to dress their best. He was dressed very casual.” ...

When he considered the prolonged wait, Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau was decisive in his response. “I do not want to proceed,” Mr. Furgani recalled him saying ...

I am confused by conflicting reports...first that CTV article says he was on the no fly list. This is the first time I have heard mention of this. Secondly, the family that sold him the car has explained their encounter with him yet an article a few pages back states the car belonged to a local Islamic center....parts of this story stink.

I have not read anything that he was on a No Fly List...he was not one of the 90 or 93 individuals that were considered High Risk Travelers
What I have read is that he wished to travel to Syria, he applied for a Canadian Passport but that his application was flagged and an investigation begun because of his past criminal offences..

The RCMP came across his name because his email was found on the hard drive of an individual the RCMP had charged with a terrorist offence.

He also applied, in person, at the Libyan Embassy for a renewal of that passport, but was denied.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...orning-after-ottawa-shooting/article21254540/

RCMP Commissioner Paulson told reporters Thursday that Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau, who was killed in Centre Block’s hallway outside the Library of Parliament, was not one of the 93 “high-risk travellers” currently being investigated and tracked by Canadian authorities.

Commissioner Paulson said. He said Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau’s “e-mail was found on the hard-drive” of someone that the RCMP had charged with a terrorist-related offence,

Commissioner Paulson said that after Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau applied for a passport, the RCMP was contacted to conduct a background check. “The RCMP did not possess information at that time that would reveal any national-security-related criminality,” he said, adding that his criminal record indicated infractions related to drugs, violence and “other criminal activities.”

The Montreal-man’s passport application wasn’t rejected, but rather that it hadn’t yet been approved because the investigation was ongoing to determine whether he should receive one.

I believe there is confusion with the passport application and issuance...apparently he held dual citizenship Canada and Libya and had applied for a passport from each country.

I have read he had applied for a Canadian passport and it was not approved because an investigation was underway due to his criminal offences

I have also read he went in person to the Libyan Embassy in Ottawa to apply for a passport and it was Denied that same day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...zehaf-bibeau-wanted-libyan-passport-1.2811768

Ottawa shooting: Michael Zehaf-Bibeau wanted Libyan passport

Zehaf-Bibeau, whose father is Libyan, applied for the passport renewal on Oct. 2 and was refused the same day, the CBC's Evan Dyer reported.

(Libyan) Officials also questioned why Zehaf-Bibeau's old Libyan passport gave his first name as Abdul but his driver's licence listed him as Michael.

Zehaf-Bibeau provided his mother's contact information, but there was no answer when officials called the number, and officials weren't satisfied with his answers when they questioned him about his parents' relationship.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back